Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

Lance Henriksen absolutely crushing it
Speaking of another classic, loving Stone Cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-pRNfp8cA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

IceG posted:

Just out of interest do I need to spoiler tag plot points for films that are 20-30 years old?

I'd say it depends. I know some still spoiler the end of Sleepaway Camp even though most of us have seen it because the ending is so standout for the time it came out, but no one spoiler anything Chucky aside from the series.

I tend to go with what feels right to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

For Lance Henrikson, Pumpkinhead is one of those "every time it's mentioned, someone will watch it and find out it rules" movies.

Likewise, for Rutger Hauer, watch The Hitcher, where he's just brilliantly unhinged.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Rutger Hauer, I just rewatched Surviving the Game and man is that a good time. Rutger and Gary Busey sharing screen time? Sign me up.

I was very confused until I realized Surviving the Game is a different movie from Game of Survival

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Hauer has this truly extraordinary, liminal, otherworldly, Bowie-adjacent changeling energy - which is what makes him so perfect for his roles both The Hitcher and Blade Runner, and which makes it all the funnier that the remake chose to recast Ryder with Sean Bean, the earthiest actor on the planet.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Speaking of another classic, loving Stone Cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-pRNfp8cA

My father was oddly obsessed with Brian Bosworth and insisted he was going to be a movie star.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He is

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend season 3 of Channel Zero as you get a MASSIVE amount of Rutger Hauer in a wonderfully creepy role.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

For Lance Henrikson, Pumpkinhead is one of those "every time it's mentioned, someone will watch it and find out it rules" movies.

I kinda low-key love the original Pumpkinhead. Shame that they went and made sequels to it; it really didn't need any.

Speaking of Henriksen, though, I don't movie he thought he was making, but he gives a great performance in Stuart Gordon's version of The Pit and the Pendulum. Just nothing but low key menace and intense insanity. He's just on a different wavelength than everyone else, because it seemed like everyone else was taking their cues from Jeffrey Combs* instead of Henriksen.

* This is rarely an incorrect decision, as Jeffrey Combs is awesome. It just makes Henriksen stand out even more because he's doing the film as a serious character piece and everyone else is treating it like a slightly goofy comedy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Fancy Hat posted:

If you haven't seen it I highly recommend season 3 of Channel Zero as you get a MASSIVE amount of Rutger Hauer in a wonderfully creepy role.

From the director of The First Omen too. It's a very good season of a good show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

I thought the last trilogy was about as perfect as you're gonna get for a modern trilogy. Now it's got more so that's been ruined.

I agree about the last trilogy being close to perfect. The new one is a considerable step down.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone got a verdict when it comes to the new Strangers movie? Decent?

Wait I guess it might not be out yet

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what was the original Scream 2 screenplay? I remember that being the first instance of a movie production drastically changing things due to a leak online.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

IceG posted:

Just out of interest do I need to spoiler tag plot points for films that are 20-30 years old?

Honestly I still haven’t seen a lot of classics so as long as you mention what you’re talking about you prob should

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone got a verdict when it comes to the new Strangers movie? Decent?

Wait I guess it might not be out yet

Isn't out yet, drops this Friday. Gonna see it then, so I'll be sure to report back.

I just watched the second Strangers movie earlier today and huh, that's actually a good bit better than the first one.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kinda hated the second one most but I wasn't very high on the first one anyway. Im just desperate for some decent horror in theaters and Tarot ain't it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh yeah, it still wasn't great, it's very by-the-numbers, but at least they didn't do the horrible swaying camera from the first movie that almost made me seasick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I kinda hated the second one most but I wasn't very high on the first one anyway. Im just desperate for some decent horror in theaters and Tarot ain't it.

There's a lot of, for lack of a better term, "Ubisoft E3 sizzle reel gamer chatter" type dialogue in it. Really unnatural, everybody taking turns talking, feeding each other setups with no miscommunication. Just a weird vibe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but what was the original Scream 2 screenplay? I remember that being the first instance of a movie production drastically changing things due to a leak online.

Pretty sure it was just Cotton Weary as the killer, which would've been underwhelming in it's own way I guess.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I thought the og scream 2 script was stu comes back and more of the cast dies?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's a lot of, for lack of a better term, "Ubisoft E3 sizzle reel gamer chatter" type dialogue in it. Really unnatural, everybody taking turns talking, feeding each other setups with no miscommunication. Just a weird vibe.

You see this poo poo in pretty much any given procedural. Basically just reams of shoddy expository content that gets cut up between four to six different "characters", and occasionally one of them will interject with "I'm already on it, bringing a map of the area up now," or "Don't look at me like that, I went to school, I know what a dildo is."

poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hate what internet freaks have done to this term but they really are NPC interactions. Friction is the essence of drama, it's much less interesting to present things this way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Fancy Hat posted:

Channel Zero is surprisingly competent and compelling for a show based off of a creepypasta

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Channel Zero the one with the man made out of teeth? I kept seeing the ad for that in the NYC subway years ago.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MacheteZombie posted:

I thought the og scream 2 script was stu comes back and more of the cast dies?

Two different stories I think. Scream 2 got rewritten mid production because the script leaked and they wanted to keep the killer secret or something. But also Kevin Williamson had come up with an idea for a sequel when Stu leads a cult of killers from prison. That presumably would have been 3 or 4 but got adapted into the Kevin Bacon show The Following.

Is Channel Zero the one with the man made out of teeth? I kept seeing the ad for that in the NYC subway years ago.

Yeah that’s the first season Candle Cove. Not the best but very creepy. Each season is a new story though.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 14, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yep that's the one, but that's just the first season. Each season is a different story.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think my ranking is 3 > 2 > 4 > 1 but they’re all pretty good imo.

1 is adapted from Kris Straub’s little epistolary vignette “Candle Cove”, 2 from an ancient creepypasta called “No-End House”, 3 very very loosely from the /r/nosleep Search and Rescue stories about stairs in the woods, and 4 from another /r/nosleep story about a tiny door hidden in an attic or a basement or something?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
just read the original Audition novel and while it's not bad it's incredible how much polish Miike put on that thing.

that said reading it affected me a whole lot more than seeing it

e: also for better or worse i respect a writer who completely does away with any semblance of subtext

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 15, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/actwithalison/status/1790497788410884183?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol owned

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao

I miss her. She was a cool actor

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CelticPredator posted:

Lmao

I miss her. She was a cool actor

Man I thought I'd missed some sad news at first when I read this

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Speaking of cool actors, I recently watched Reanimator and I just love Jeffrey Combs

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

He's the best. Be sure to watch Bride of Reanimator as well. It's so charged and fun and Jeffrey Combs is still flawless in it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The third reanimator is also fine. It has a reanimated dick in it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mikeycp posted:

The third reanimator is also fine. It has a reanimated dick in it

but enough about your mother

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Isn't out yet, drops this Friday. Gonna see it then, so I'll be sure to report back.

I just watched the second Strangers movie earlier today and huh, that's actually a good bit better than the first one.

Hot take is that both Strangers movies are good. I’d give the edge to the first, but it’s a YMMV situation because of how very different they are (the first is very nihilistic home-invasion fare; Prey at Night is a straight slasher movie, albeit a pretty good one).

I am not very optimistic for what looks like a rehash of the original, only directed by Renny Harlin, but I am morbidly curious as to how this premise can possibly sustain three movies (it’s the first of a trilogy that was filmed as one production; the next two are tentatively scheduled for release later this year and early next)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hated the first Strangers and really liked the second Strangers. So I'm holding off on the third Strangers because that could go either way.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gonna go see I Saw the TV Glow tomorrow night, plus the same theater will be playing In a Violent Nature next week, so I'm pretty hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hell yeah. I'm catching a doubleheader of I Saw the TV Glow and aggro drift at my local arthouse this weekend :getin: harmony korine thinks he just invented video games I think