Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

he's very important you know

Doctors are saying it's unlikely the Republican septuagenarian was bumped ahead of thousands of younger people who were also in line to get a new heart.

"You can't leapfrog the system," said Dr. Allen Taylor, cardiology chief at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. "It's a very regimented and fair process and heavily policed."

uh huh right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol forever that a man in his 70s was given a heart transplant
deathpanel advocacy itt

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think he should have been required to kill his own donor in hand-to-hand combat. in order to make it fair, the donor would have been chosen at random from the populace.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's gonna be so cool when we can 3d print organ scaffolding and then inoculate it with a patient's own stem cells

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm gonna have so many kidneys

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
im gonna suck my own 3d printed dick

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
think i'll put something my will that says if any of my organs go to some rear end in a top hat republican politician i am to brought back by voodoo to wreak awful undead vengeance

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

fermun posted:

im gonna suck my own 3d printed dick

it's 3d printing not nanolithography

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
im going to make haggis out of my own offal

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

it's 3d printing not nanolithography

laser dick

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's tiny bug childe's bitminers doing?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

bitcoiners completely lack creativity.

i work in tax and every single tax avoidance scam they come up with has been beaten to death over and over again. apparently no one who owns a bitcoin has even ever heard of the internal revenue code. like the most basic thing in tax is that income is taxable from whatever source derived.

it's that loving simple.

not really surprising bitcoiners don't understand this.

you don't get it, bitcoiners are high iq masters of the new ruling class. they are much smarter than the old bureaucrats at the irs that don't understand the revolutionary new crypto economy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also i'm pretty sure you can only deduct capital losses against capital gains (or carry it forward). looking forward to lots of denied returns in bitcoin land

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

[–]BeCoingInABit -2 points 1 hour ago
Imagine a blockchain of blockchains. Each new block confirms all the other blockchains, which hold the bulk of the transactions.
This would be relatively trivial to evolve Bitcoin into. And to spend your coins, you'd be responsible for holding onto your past transactions' blocks, so that the recipient could see that your money is good. A small number of blocks would need to be checked to see if the coins were spent. There could be a blockchain maintaining a list of all unspent transactions.
There are a lot of reasonable solutions to the blockchain issues. But these aren't the 2014 problems.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
imagine four blockchains on the edge of a cliff

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's funny, you see, because "taint" is also a slang term for the perineum. :newlol:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
what happened to "gooch"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
galt's gooch

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
IRS tax question (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by paleh0rse

Let's say you buy 0.34 BTC at one price (basis1), and then later buy 0.2 BTC at a different price (basis2).

Those 0.54 BTC are now combined and sitting in one wallet.

Now, what happens when you make a retail purchase that totals 0.5 BTC? Which cost basis is used? Just the first one, or both? Do you literally have to pay CGT using the basis1 for 0.34 of the purchase, and then use basis2 for remaining 0.16 of that same purchase?

This is so f'n stupid...

[–]utuxia 1 point 38 minutes ago

why does nobody get how rediculous this "guidance" is?

[–]WelpSigh 3 points 36 minutes ago

Someone should create a wallet that automatically tracks all of this for you.

[–]positlabs 1 point 16 minutes ago

It would have to be an exchange site that also serves as a wallet... barring no deposits from other sources

[–]paleh0rse[S] 1 point 29 seconds ago

Which pretty much destroys nearly every benefit and function of Bitcoin, doesn't it?

[–]utuxia 4 points 55 minutes ago

this tax guidance won't stick.

[–]CruiseMyDoor 1 point 46 minutes ago

Why do you think that?

[–]utuxia 1 point 46 minutes ago

because its virtually impossible to report correctly.

[–]The-Voice-of-Reddit 1 point 37 minutes ago

It really isn't, at all. Hand your transaction history to the average accounting student and they could use Excel to spit out your liability in a few minutes. We're talking enormously basic accounting here, this is stuff non-professionals should be able to handle after taking an hour to read up on it.

[–]utuxia 1 point 35 minutes ago

you have to go back and get price data for an exchange for each transaction at the time you bought the Bitcoin and at the time you made the transaction for goods/services. Its not as easy as you claim.

[–]paleh0rse[S] 1 point 40 minutes ago

I understand FIFO as I described in the OP, but this is the first time I've personally realized that there will likely be multiple cost bases involved with every single purchase.

It's just... absurd. :(

[–]The-Voice-of-Reddit 1 point 21 minutes ago

It would be absurd if you lived in the 1950's and had to do everything by hand, but thankfully we have had consumer level spreadsheet programs for over 30 years now which can be pretty easily set up to do the work calculating it for thousands of transactions in the fraction of a second.

[–]paleh0rse[S] 1 point 1 minute ago

Yes, but no average consumer on the planet would bother with that; and there's no way to import large piles of random coins from before these guidelines were announced with anything resembling accuracy.

My own pile of coins is a compete mess -- in terms of when, where, and the price at which I acquired every fraction of coin over the last year. I couldn't even begin to calculate the cost basis for most of them.

[–]paleh0rse[S] 1 point 45 minutes ago

I honestly can't even begin to fathom how this could work using hundreds or thousands of buys and hundreds or thousands of cost bases... it's simply beyond all logic and reason, and there's simply no way the IRS didn't realize that ahead of time. :(

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
accounting: how can anyone deal with all these numbers???

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Damiya posted:

uh there's this little thing called being backed by math??!?! :smuggo:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I know most of you heard the phrase "Buy Low, Sell High", times like these are why most people never actually follow that advice. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by erikwithaknotac

Stop all that emotion about your money going away. You bought in already. Hopefully it wasn't your mortgage money. Think of investing as blackjack. You either win and take the cash, or lose the hand. Don't pull out because you're rethinking your decision. You made that decision in more rational times, and it seemed good enough to put money into it. Buy more. Stop being emotional and bitching because you haven't made a 100% return in 4 months.

Do the opposite of these comments. Once these idiot posts are all to the moon memes, sell that poo poo.

[–]takenokokoko -3 points 1 hour ago

he's absolutely right. this is the time to take loans out and use leverage. yes, we could go lower, but unlikely to fall below historical trend line of ~$420. There is a lot of upside from here, when next bubble arrives this year and we hit $3000, people will be asking why they didn't buy at $450.

[–]takenokokoko -1 points 57 minutes ago

trend lines aren't compiled using "the current price". my model is complied with historic data from 2010 to present. if it drops below $420, it will be the result of a brief dip based on Chinese news and will promptly return up past the trend.

[–]ajvw -3 points 43 minutes ago

It is actually very easy to buy low and sell high. If you bought it at X do not sell unless the price is >X. If you sell at Y do not buy until the price is <Y. Of course you can do that very easily. I do not think it is rocket science. Is it not that easy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Damiya posted:

blockchain?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I'm leaving for a 7-country journey to tell the real story of Bitcoin - Request for Ideas & Interview Questions for rural farmers doing business in Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by peacelyse

Aloha,

My name is Elyse and I am the Founder of Tealet, a tea company that started from the idea and energy of a non-profit and has transformed to an international supply chain management platform on Bitcoin. We work directly with independent tea growers around the world; telling their stories and helping them better connect with their buyers (wholesale and retail). We started accepting BTC in Sep. 2013 and LTC in Feb. 2014. Cryptocurrency has become a major part of our revenue and growth (making up to 80% of our monthly revenue). We have introduced tools like Coinbase and BitPay to many other tea retailers. We have learned that the Bitcoin community loves tea as these retailers are also experiencing success.

In addition to other tea retailers we have also introduced the benefits of Bitcoin to our network of tea growers. My brother and I have started a journey around the tea world to meet with all the growers, catch up on their 2014 Spring harvests, and get them set up to accept Bitcoin. (We currently pay growers via Paypal and they are charged on average 10% fees to receive local currency, we hope to reduce these fees to 1%).

My brother is a filmmaker and will be documenting this story. You can see a trailer for our trip here. We will be collaborating with The Bitcoin Media Project to further distribute this story. We would like to help show the "real" side of Bitcoin and the world-changing benefits of cryptocurrency.

We have set up a form where you can submit questions or ideas that we can use to tell this story. You can also leave your ideas in the comments below. We are visiting 14 tea-growing regions in 7 countries (Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, China, Taiwan, Japan, and Indonesia).

If you would like to drink the tea please see our 30% off Bitcoin promotion.

If you would like to learn more about my business and how it works with the growers please read this.

Thank you!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jony ive aces posted:

galt's gooch

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The Management posted:

also i'm pretty sure you can only deduct capital losses against capital gains (or carry it forward). looking forward to lots of denied returns in bitcoin land

isnt there a limit to that, like a percent a agi

...!
Oct 5, 2003

You are offered 10,000 bitcoins on the condition that you can never use conventional currency's again do you accept the deal? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by Theusernamemen

How does your life change?

[–]ichigo13 8 points 1 hour ago

Yes. I find another Bitcoin enthusiast that is willing to have a roommate. We talk things out and I pay him rent/food/utilities with Bitcoin. Whatever can not be provided by merchants accepting Bitcoin I ask my roommate to buy it for me and pay him in Bitcoin.

[–]errandwolfe 6 points 2 hours ago

Hell yes! I think I can live off gyft cards and such for a while! Well I wouldn't say my life would change all that much. Would be a fantastic opportunity to take my regular salary and invest heavily for retirement, maybe I'll be able to pull that off a decade or two early now.

[–]samsonx 2 points 50 minutes ago

You can talk anyone into opening a BitPay account these days.

[–]bkkgirl 2 points 40 minutes ago

Can I give Bitcoin to other people and have them pay for things for me with fiat?

[–]paulej 1 point 30 minutes ago

Sure. With that much cash, I can just hire somebody to buy stuff for me.

[–]master5o1 1 point 9 minutes ago

Yes.

I now set up a company to buy products and services for me.

This company accepts bitcoin for me to pay it to.

This company, not being me, is allowed to exchange bitcoin for New Zealand dollars so it can pay its bills.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
hey are bitcoins dead yet

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

...! posted:

I'm leaving for a 7-country journey to tell the real story of Bitcoin - Request for Ideas & Interview Questions for rural farmers doing business in Bitcoin (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by peacelyse

Aloha,

My name is Elyse and I am the Founder of Tealet, a tea company that started from the idea and energy of a non-profit and has transformed to an international supply chain management platform on Bitcoin. We work directly with independent tea growers around the world; telling their stories and helping them better connect with their buyers (wholesale and retail). We started accepting BTC in Sep. 2013 and LTC in Feb. 2014. Cryptocurrency has become a major part of our revenue and growth (making up to 80% of our monthly revenue). We have introduced tools like Coinbase and BitPay to many other tea retailers. We have learned that the Bitcoin community loves tea as these retailers are also experiencing success.

In addition to other tea retailers we have also introduced the benefits of Bitcoin to our network of tea growers. My brother and I have started a journey around the tea world to meet with all the growers, catch up on their 2014 Spring harvests, and get them set up to accept Bitcoin. (We currently pay growers via Paypal and they are charged on average 10% fees to receive local currency, we hope to reduce these fees to 1%).

My brother is a filmmaker and will be documenting this story. You can see a trailer for our trip here. We will be collaborating with The Bitcoin Media Project to further distribute this story. We would like to help show the "real" side of Bitcoin and the world-changing benefits of cryptocurrency.

We have set up a form where you can submit questions or ideas that we can use to tell this story. You can also leave your ideas in the comments below. We are visiting 14 tea-growing regions in 7 countries (Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, China, Taiwan, Japan, and Indonesia).

If you would like to drink the tea please see our 30% off Bitcoin promotion.

If you would like to learn more about my business and how it works with the growers please read this.

Thank you!

is this poppy tea or something? what loving farm operation has 80% of their revenue as buttcoins?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

have they ever really been alive?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Reddit Feedback: Why I will never give them another Satoshi (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by doctorrecommendedmus

My subscription just expired, and this is what I sent to their feedback department:

I'll keep it short. I started using Bitcoin long before I ever thought about using Reddit. I've paid for about 4 months total of a Reddit Sub, using bitcoin for both transactions. I do not consider myself a libertarian or crazy. The grossly generalizing and alienating comments of your CEO has ensured I will never support your business again, and it will be highly unlikely that I refer anyone I know, or will ever meet, to use your service. How a CEO of a company can make such ridiculous statement to the public and media is completely unprofessional and quite clearly illustrates the caliber of people involved in Reddit.

Good luck.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

nigga crab pollock posted:

well they're down into the 440s again, continuing the general long-term downward trend that hopefully will eventually just see them completely forgotten

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Cantorsdust posted:

is this poppy tea or something? what loving farm operation has 80% of their revenue as buttcoins?

Who would buy tea from Tealet? That's so close to toilet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Perspective: If people say Bitcoin technology and addresses are confusing jumble, show them this BestBuy link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile-...archterm=iphone (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 hours ago by Markateer

This takes you to the iPhone store section of Best Buy. If in the old days they said: "Holy crap, there's no way I'm going to remember all of these websites and random numbers for accessing them" , show them this, and how it doesn't even phase them today because technology was built around it to make people not care.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mobile-...archterm=iphone

[–]Markateer[S] 2 points 3 hours ago

I remember at one point being confused about how I'd know/remember exactly what to type in the URL address to get exactly what I needed. It seemed like there were so many different possibilities of addresses. I was young though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Are governments trying to push bitcoin underground, away from honest people, so that their claims of it being sketchy are more legitimate? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 hours ago by coffemakesmesick

[–]kwanijml 2 points 2 hours ago

Of course they are.

Raise your hand if you think that the people in the IRS are too ignorant to know what treating bitcoin as property does to its use as money. . . . This doesn't make those people necessarily evil, or of bad intentions (in fact, if you see bitcoin as a threat to civil society you would view your actions to stifle it as a heroic act). But it does show that, because governments know what the application of their legacy-system laws will do to bitcoin; that they are necessarily, intentionally, trying to make it go away.

This is the same thing that governments do with nearly everything: take drugs, for example. The war on drugs was devised and perpetuated by people who knew full-well that banning something that people use for a reason (and is not already somewhat enforced against by society at large. . .i.e. people protect themselves against murder and rape pretty well, regardless of any law. . .so those laws are easy to enforce); that when you ban these types of substances and activities; that it only creates black markets, and in fact creates the the conditions and incentives for the ensuing black market to be violent and seedy. . . and everything that they had tried to convince people that the drug market was, before they made it illegal.

This is a universal economic principle which applies accross a very broad range of activities which get banned (or heavily regulated, which is effectively the same as banning-lite). The bitcoin economy will be no different, under authoritarian regimes such as the U.S. The ills that they try to attribute to bitcoin and bitcoin users now; will manifest themselves that much stronger, in the black market which they are creating.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Who would buy tea from Tealet? That's so close to toilet.

Terlet

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

...! posted:

You are offered 10,000 bitcoins on the condition that you can never use conventional currency's again do you accept the deal? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by Theusernamemen

How does your life change?

[–]ichigo13 8 points 1 hour ago

Yes. I find another Bitcoin enthusiast that is willing to have a roommate. We talk things out and I pay him rent/food/utilities with Bitcoin. Whatever can not be provided by merchants accepting Bitcoin I ask my roommate to buy it for me and pay him in Bitcoin.

[–]errandwolfe 6 points 2 hours ago

Hell yes! I think I can live off gyft cards and such for a while! Well I wouldn't say my life would change all that much. Would be a fantastic opportunity to take my regular salary and invest heavily for retirement, maybe I'll be able to pull that off a decade or two early now.

[–]samsonx 2 points 50 minutes ago

You can talk anyone into opening a BitPay account these days.

[–]bkkgirl 2 points 40 minutes ago

Can I give Bitcoin to other people and have them pay for things for me with fiat?

[–]paulej 1 point 30 minutes ago

Sure. With that much cash, I can just hire somebody to buy stuff for me.

[–]master5o1 1 point 9 minutes ago

Yes.

I now set up a company to buy products and services for me.

This company accepts bitcoin for me to pay it to.

This company, not being me, is allowed to exchange bitcoin for New Zealand dollars so it can pay its bills.

lol

every one of these people either fundamentally misunderstood the question or went "Yeah, I'm going to use a clever loophole :smug:"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ripping the hearts out of the innocent doesnt really count as getting a transplant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
:byodood: ALL HAIL THE BLOCKCHAIN, PERFECT TECHNOLOGY OF THE FUUUUUUUTURE :byodood:

:byodood: how do i figure out when i acquired how much coin so i can do my taxes???? it's tooooo haaaaaaaard :byodood:

• Locked thread