Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've got a screening of Singapore Sling tonight. Def need to take a nap before hand though. I dont want to miss it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

I've got a screening of Singapore Sling tonight. Def need to take a nap before hand though. I dont want to miss it tonight.

Lol I wonder how many people there will be going in with limited information. That movie is out there

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I wonder how many people there will be going in with limited information. That movie is out there

They usually do a hand count for who's seen it and who hasnt. I really hope I got a fresh crowd tonight. Those are always the best.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I’m finally sitting down with Chucky. Season 1 was all right, but I’m nearing the end of S2 now and it is nothing short of a delight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dorium posted:

Awesome flick, one of my favorites. And DEFINITELY a weird one.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hell yeah. I'm catching a doubleheader of I Saw the TV Glow and aggro drift at my local arthouse this weekend :getin: harmony korine thinks he just invented video games I think

Haha that is a perfect distillation of AD. Still loved it though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Naked Man Punch posted:

I’m finally sitting down with Chucky. Season 1 was all right, but I’m nearing the end of S2 now and it is nothing short of a delight.

It never stops escalating. It's incredible content

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I liked the first two The Strangers and will probably have at least an okay time with the next three.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s funny about Chucky is it’s definitely brought in a new young audience who perhaps wasn’t super familiar with the films outside of osmosis and then getting to season 3 and screaming “Don has lost it! He’s going too far!”

Buddy he hasn’t gone far enough

I’ll say season 1 is my favorite just because of how many twists it took. Went from a fun little teen horror comedy to the wildest ride through Chucky canon I never expected. I was like cheering when they brought back Nica, Andy, and Kyle.

Canon is stupid and yada yada but drat when a franchise sticks to it so much it’s very rewarding and fun

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
nica andy and kyle being around has been the peak of the series for me, for sure

but i'm also excited to find out where you go from blowing up santa and the white house

e: also i love when they get fiona to play young charles. she unsurprisingly does an incredible impression of her dad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FoneBone posted:

Hot take is that both Strangers movies are good. I’d give the edge to the first, but it’s a YMMV situation because of how very different they are (the first is very nihilistic home-invasion fare; Prey at Night is a straight slasher movie, albeit a pretty good one).

I am not very optimistic for what looks like a rehash of the original, only directed by Renny Harlin, but I am morbidly curious as to how this premise can possibly sustain three movies (it’s the first of a trilogy that was filmed as one production; the next two are tentatively scheduled for release later this year and early next)

I really liked both films, loved the second one

Harlin's a competent director, it'll be the same director for all three, and the third one is going to be completely new supposedly, so I'm alternately curious and excited (at least past the first one)

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I watched The Coffee Table today based on recent posts. Not a fan.
The opener is funny as hell, but the only thing I knew going in to this was "this'll devastate you if you have kids" also meant that after the opener it was really obvious what was going to go down. Having it happen at the twenty minute mark caught me off guard though. But after that the movie just couldn't hold that tension for me. The longer it went the more I ended up annoyed than anything else. And the last twenty minutes I just wasn't even enjoying it. It seemed pretty obvious to me how it was all going to come out with all the talk of "I'll come over with my dog." Then I thought they were going to switch it up because when the dad and brother are talking in the other room there's a shot that's framed so that you can see the baby monitor plan as loving day and the power light is very clearly turned on. OH drat!! jk. That's actually nothing. Apparently it can hear dripping on the floor, but not a whole rear end conversation taking place (it makes me wonder if I blinked and missed a scene of the dad turning down the other monitor or something?). No actually the ending was exactly what you knew it was going to be the whole time.

Seriously though, that opening scene is wonderful. I started the movie feeling really good about it.

Abigail was fun. gently caress poo poo up, Matilda!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Singapore Sling was one of the weird what the gently caress movies the creepiest person I've ever met recommended to me. I don't know how people find artistic value in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i love Singapore Sling it also has one of the coolest theatrical posters imo

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd say it depends. I know some still spoiler the end of Sleepaway Camp even though most of us have seen it because the ending is so standout for the time it came out, but no one spoiler anything Chucky aside from the series.

I tend to go with what feels right to me.

I've only gotten into the horror genre in the last 12 months after avoiding it my entire life (watching midsommar and nope made me realise my definition of what horror actually is needed an update)

I've been lurking this thread and putting on recommendations and last night watched Sleepaway camp and holy lol I'm glad people are pretty generous in this thread about not spoiling movies even if they are decades old.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Caedes posted:

I've only gotten into the horror genre in the last 12 months after avoiding it my entire life (watching midsommar and nope made me realise my definition of what horror actually is needed an update)

I've been lurking this thread and putting on recommendations and last night watched Sleepaway camp and holy lol I'm glad people are pretty generous in this thread about not spoiling movies even if they are decades old.

My partner showing me Get Out and Phantom of the Paradise, followed by us watching Perfect Blue and playing Deadly Premonition a few years later were a few of the dominos that made me realize the very same. It's great to realize that, no, actually this genre is awesome and varied and has so much to offer. :)

Sleepaway Camp is a complex but fascinating movie to dissect. Sleepaway Camp 2 is a bunch of fun, so if you want something energetic and vicious it's a great time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Doltos posted:

Singapore Sling was one of the weird what the gently caress movies the creepiest person I've ever met recommended to me. I don't know how people find artistic value in it.

It's on the bottom levels of a From Beyond iceberg of horny/creeps

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner showing me Get Out and Phantom of the Paradise, followed by us watching Perfect Blue and playing Deadly Premonition a few years later were a few of the dominos that made me realize the very same. It's great to realize that, no, actually this genre is awesome and varied and has so much to offer. :)

Sleepaway Camp is a complex but fascinating movie to dissect. Sleepaway Camp 2 is a bunch of fun, so if you want something energetic and vicious it's a great time.

Whatever else one has to say about Sleepaway Camp, 2 and 3 are so ridiculous/fun it's worth sticking through and going forward

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner showing me Get Out and Phantom of the Paradise, followed by us watching Perfect Blue and playing Deadly Premonition a few years later were a few of the dominos that made me realize the very same.

Phantom of the Paradise is so loving great. A crying shame it's not more well known. When I have time, I'll post the mask/costume I made for Halloween a few years back.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Phantom of the Paradise is one of those movies I will always recommend if someone asks for more obscure movies they might not have seen, and I've yet to have anyone take that recommendation and not come out loving it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's funny cuz the song they hate on in film is the best song.
GOODBYE EDDIE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's funny cuz the song they hate on in film is the best song.
GOODBYE EDDIE

Absolute banger

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Excellent, I'm all in on sleepaway camp 2 then

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
There are EIGHT Blackwell Ghost films?!!!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah he just keeps pumpin em out, dude is a machine.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Caedes posted:

I'm of the perspective of while it might be my 30+ time watching a film, it's someone else's first time. I want them to have some of the wonder/surprise I had when it was my first watch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can we talk about how hard the I Saw The TV Glow soundtrack goes

Alex G is great. so incredibly versatile. plus King Woman retakes, it's wild

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

Saw that it just got uploaded to Spotify, gonna blare it today :hellyeah: Schoenbrun is the best for knowing what the people (I) want

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

What’s funny about Chucky is it’s definitely brought in a new young audience who perhaps wasn’t super familiar with the films outside of osmosis and then getting to season 3 and screaming “Don has lost it! He’s going too far!”

Buddy he hasn’t gone far enough

I haven't seen a single audience member saying that he's going too far?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Instagram. It’s funny to see kids mad at chucky winning

Chucky always wins baby

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

Went mad seeing The Weather Station on there. I can't wait for this dang movie

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

Went mad seeing The Weather Station on there. I can't wait for this dang movie

Yeah it's not gonna be here for aaaages

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

alf_pogs posted:

I'm getting very hyped for this movie. I've only seen one trailer before The Iron Claw and read a very brief synopsis, but it seems like its getting a lot of buzz online.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://x.com/ecto_fun/status/1790945541909524526

Thought this thread would appreciate a slight update to some very weird art of the royals

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I kinda like Smile.

I mean it feels like an American remake of It Follows in the same way as something like Shutter or The Grudge despite both films being American and is kinda dumb.

But it's got some good inescapable dread and the actual creature rules even though we barely glimpse it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah it's not gonna be here for aaaages

There's screenings at a couple of rep cinemas here in Toronto starting Friday but isn't hitting the multiplexes anytime soon for sure, and screens being taken up by The Strangers and Furiosa in the next few weeks isn't gonna help.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1791102102820856238

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've seen the synopsis; this is not a hell yeah. This is not a hell yeah at all.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I dare them to try making any Silent Hill movie without Pyramid Head.

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1495530138922283008

"But he's the series' icon!" when he was in a single game of the 4 good ones, I'm just sick of the sight of him by now.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I dare them to try making any Silent Hill movie without Pyramid Head.

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1495530138922283008

Tbf this one is actually based on SH2