Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

two fish posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

Dragon’s Egg is about life that evolved on the surface of a neutron star, it’s great

Edit: just remembered the name. A Fire Upon the Deep features a very unique alien race with multiple heads and such.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

two fish posted:

Looking for hard sci-fi where a prominent theme is making first contact with a non-humanoid species. Especially if a complex language needs to be deciphered, or if the aliens think strangely.

I enjoyed how it was handled in Pushing Ice, and I'd really like to read more. Any suggestions?

Three Body Problem

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

two fish posted:

Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem is exactly this. I'm not gonna say it was my favorite read ever, but it is very much what you're asking for, and it's like 2 bucks on kindle right now.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I just went through a spree of hype scifi novels from the past few years. Didn't really care for Dark Matter, Blindsight was cool but not enough for me to want to read the sequel. Few more big names until I decided to finally crack Hyperion and this is what I was looking for the whole time. Halfway through The Fall of Hyperion. What do you recommend for my next space opera? And I was under the impression the Cantos was only 2 books, but I'm seeing it was expanded to 4? Are they all worth? Love every page I've read so far.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

96 spacejam posted:

I just went through a spree of hype scifi novels from the past few years. Didn't really care for Dark Matter, Blindsight was cool but not enough for me to want to read the sequel. Few more big names until I decided to finally crack Hyperion and this is what I was looking for the whole time. Halfway through The Fall of Hyperion. What do you recommend for my next space opera? And I was under the impression the Cantos was only 2 books, but I'm seeing it was expanded to 4? Are they all worth? Love every page I've read so far.

hype sci-fi and you're reading Dark Matter?

From the last few years and you're reading Hyperion (1989)?

Anyway, the consensus is that Hyperion falls off hard from the second book onwards, but if you're enjoying it, continue until you don't want to read more. Dan Simmons has some political problems (doesn't like muslims) in his later books but plenty of people like The Terror and the mini-series based off it is widely said to be superior.

Anyway, given the broad timeline you've established here's some Space Opera to read:

Neverness by David Zindell

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

Diaspora by Greg Egan

Ninefox Gambit by Yun Ha Lee

The Greatship by Robert Reed

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I read Hench while I was getting a tattoo and really liked it. I'm looking for something not necessarily environmentally similar/superhero and villain related, but more "mood" similar for my next session. Decent action and/or revenge, well-written women character(s), can have an element of romance but it's not a huge part of the plot, digestible while you're getting stabbed with needles for 6 hours. I read Best Served Cold a few years back and also liked that but the "oh and now she's having a baby yay" turn at the end was lovely and jarring so I'd like to avoid that. I've read and enjoyed the Locked Tomb books and the Wayfarers Trilogy.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

96 spacejam posted:

The entire Horus Heresy series

13Pandora13 posted:

I read Hench while I was getting a tattoo and really liked it. I'm looking for something not necessarily environmentally similar/superhero and villain related, but more "mood" similar for my next session. Decent action and/or revenge, well-written women character(s), can have an element of romance but it's not a huge part of the plot, digestible while you're getting stabbed with needles for 6 hours. I read Best Served Cold a few years back and also liked that but the "oh and now she's having a baby yay" turn at the end was lovely and jarring so I'd like to avoid that. I've read and enjoyed the Locked Tomb books and the Wayfarers Trilogy.

The Horus Heresy novels that involve Lotara Sarrin

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Gripweed posted:

The Horus Heresy novels that involve Lotara Sarrin

This seems to just be Legion based on a cursory Google, is this correct? More importantly, my Warhammer lore knowledge is limited - where am I going to need to start to not be completely lost?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

13Pandora13 posted:

This seems to just be Legion based on a cursory Google, is this correct? More importantly, my Warhammer lore knowledge is limited - where am I going to need to start to not be completely lost?

She’s not in Legion, that’s about the Alpha Legion and Sarrin is the ship mistress of the World Eaters’ flagship. She gets the most screen time in Betrayer, which is also one of the best books in the whole series. She gets small appearances scattered around afterwards.

Betrayer is set in the later stages of the Word Bearer’s war in Ultramar, so you’d probably want to read The First Heretic, which explains who the Word Bearers are and what their grudge is against the Ultramarines and how they fell to Chaos, and then Know No Fear which shows the opening of the war in Ultramar, and then Betrayer.

Really I was just making a joke about how in all 54 novels of the Horus Heresy series there’s exactly one memorable, plot-important, well-written female character. But actually all three of those books are good and you should read them.

Edit: oh I see the confusion. Lotara Sarrin is in the mobile game Horus Heresy: Legions but not the Horus Heresy novel Legion.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 20, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

Yeah if you’re going for that particular tone, Doggerland by Ben Smith is probably my favourite book about despair in the collapse.

It’s about a pair of maintenance workers on an offshore wind farm as things get worse from climate change. It could easily be happening during The Stand if The Stand was about global warming.

Took this recommendation and immediately searched for and bought Doggerland. Went in without reading a thing about it because I like going in blind.

Halfway through I'm confused as all gently caress and wondering how the hell this got compared to Oryx and Crake when what Doggerland is, is a light and frothy Miss Marple style mystery about a murdered turkey.

Turns out there is more then one book with the title Doggerland.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What do people use for book tracking? I don't want to use Goodreads so I've been looking at alternatives; for the last few years I've used Library Thing but the app has always been pretty busted.
I'm just looking for something that tracks what I read and maybe has an easy share function, don't need any other features

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

regulargonzalez posted:

Turns out there is more then one book with the title Doggerland.

Lol.

Two things. One, I picked up three veg boxes of books yesterday from a house clearance auction. Paid under £50 for the lot, and spent a happy hour today sorting through them all. Of course, one third of the books are of no interest to me (F1 driver bios? Mike Oldfield on the making of Tubular Bells?)

But the rest is interesting - lots of good fiction.

Never read any China Miéville, looking forward to that. (There was also October, by the same author - his history of the Russian Revolution.)

About 1/3rd of the books had some kind of bookmark in them - train tickets, mostly, but often things relevant to the book. There were two music bios - one of the Manic Street Preachers, and one of Scott Ian of Anthrax.

Plus some good veggie cookbooks, and some nice bits on gardening that my partner will love.

OK second thing - question time. I've just read a comment about bell hooks that made me want to read something by/about her. The line was about "love as a driving force for politics". I know nothing about bell hooks - is there a good place to start?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

What do people use for book tracking? I don't want to use Goodreads so I've been looking at alternatives; for the last few years I've used Library Thing but the app has always been pretty busted.
I'm just looking for something that tracks what I read and maybe has an easy share function, don't need any other features

StoryGraph

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Teach posted:

But the rest is interesting - lots of good fiction.

Is Will Self any good as a writer? I only know him as a panel show guest.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Good question - I'll tell you in six months.

I read Grey Area - a short story collection - years ago, and liked it. I think I've read How The Dead Live, too. He's a bit up himself, but Umbrella here got good reviews, as did Shark. He's a very clever man, but let's see how that entertains on the page.

Fake edit - he did get called out on Twitter by his own son, which was funny.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thanks for the recommendation!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That looks like what I want, cheers
E: or not, actually. Doesn't seem to be any option for collections or groups, and I like to seperate them out by year I read it. I found one called Handy Library that looks pretty good. You do have to pay for it but it's $15 lifetime so that's not too bad. Going to see if I can find anything else first

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 25, 2024

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Railsea is a YA book, yet it’s my favorite of the Mieville you’ve got.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

two fish posted:

Neptune's brood by Charles across fits this description a bit if I'm remembering correctly

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Opopanax posted:

That looks like what I want, cheers
E: or not, actually. Doesn't seem to be any option for collections or groups, and I like to seperate them out by year I read it. I found one called Handy Library that looks pretty good. You do have to pay for it but it's $15 lifetime so that's not too bad. Going to see if I can find anything else first

If you go to stats it automatically separates your books by year.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

malnourish posted:

If you go to stats it automatically separates your books by year.

I want by year I read it, not year published. Looks like I can kind of do that with tags at least. Might have to play around more

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I want by year I read it, not year published. Looks like I can kind of do that with tags at least. Might have to play around more

It does by year read. You can even change it by hand if something weird happens and the day is wrong.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

FPyat posted:

Railsea is a YA book, yet it’s my favorite of the Mieville you’ve got.

Then I'll put it at the top of the pile, thank you!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Teach posted:

OK second thing - question time. I've just read a comment about bell hooks that made me want to read something by/about her. The line was about "love as a driving force for politics". I know nothing about bell hooks - is there a good place to start?

I have only read Talking Back but that seems good enough as any place to start as it introduces you to her intersection of race, gender, and class very well.

She writes very accessibly, which was her intention as so much philosophy is walled off from working class readers behind an inscrutable code you need degrees in disciplines in order to understand.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you - will check it out!

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Opopanax posted:

You can see that the stats page defaults to showing you stats by year read, it is able to break things down for you by year published, too.
Case in point, this "Publication Year vs Read Date" scatter plot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have no intentions of signing up for Audible, but I have two free credits and there's an "Audible Original" I do want, looking for suggestions on what to use the other for. I mostly stick to horror or SciFi, but open to other stuff. I'm not a big audiobook guy and won't have a lot of opportunity to listen to it, so preferbly not something really long, and another audible original probably makes the most sense

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

I have no intentions of signing up for Audible, but I have two free credits and there's an "Audible Original" I do want, looking for suggestions on what to use the other for. I mostly stick to horror or SciFi, but open to other stuff. I'm not a big audiobook guy and won't have a lot of opportunity to listen to it, so preferbly not something really long, and another audible original probably makes the most sense

Michael McDowell’s books are exclusive to Auduble.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Opopanax posted:

I mean, if you've read Gideon the Ninth, or want to, Moira Quirk narrates it amazingly.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Franchescanado posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The audiobook of Blackwater is just excellent.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I thought about Blackwater but a 30 hour audiobook will take me a few months

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I thought about Blackwater but a 30 hour audiobook will take me a few months

Oh man, it was such an absolute page turner that I listened to it all in fifteen days. I went for extra walks and did many menial tasks to get more listening in. 😳

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

same

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
What other good books are there somewhat similar to Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

On a recent flight home I watched Argo and now I need to read a book about the Shah or Iran what drove his downfall.

Recomendations?

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Off the top of my head (toilet-posting) try Legacy of Ashes - it's an oral history of the CIA, and there's a chapter on Iran and the Shah. It will be a good primer, and the rest of the book is fascinating (i.e. horrifying) too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Minotaurus Rex posted:

What other good books are there somewhat similar to Bullshit Jobs by David Graeber?

As a next read you could take your pick of Graeber books. I think Debt: The First 5000 Years is a great follow up to Bullshit Jobs. The Democracy Project is probably his weakest book.

Otherwise, what did you like about Bullshit Jobs?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Teach posted:

Off the top of my head (toilet-posting) try Legacy of Ashes - it's an oral history of the CIA, and there's a chapter on Iran and the Shah. It will be a good primer, and the rest of the book is fascinating (i.e. horrifying) too.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

tuyop posted:

As a next read you could take your pick of Graeber books. I think Debt: The First 5000 Years is a great follow up to Bullshit Jobs. The Democracy Project is probably his weakest book.

Otherwise, what did you like about Bullshit Jobs?

^This if you're looking for more Graeber. If you're looking for more about the subject of bullshit jobs I'd recommend "Futilitarianism: Neoliberalism and the Production of Uselessness"