Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shame, I feel like Oga's trip to America is going to be left hanging until the final chapter then as it would be a good place to end things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Tosk posted:

Centuria has also turned out to be quite good so far, imo.

Yes. I want to second this.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm actually gonna steal that for the panels thread, lol. their art style reminds me a lot of the Sunken Rock/Dr Stone guy but maybe even cleaner.

but yeah, for a first longform manga attempt by this mangaka (Tohru Kuramori), it's great. there were some comments on the pacing in the first two chapters in this thread when they dropped, but I think the pacing has been a strong point so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mumbling posted:

I was incredibly invested in this week’s Witch Watch

It was bizarrely compelling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tosk posted:

Centuria has also turned out to be quite good so far, imo.

yea I've been liking it too

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ImpAtom posted:

It was bizarrely compelling

We were all Morihito in that chapter

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Tosk posted:

I'm actually gonna steal that for the panels thread, lol. their art style reminds me a lot of the Sunken Rock/Dr Stone guy but maybe even cleaner.

but yeah, for a first longform manga attempt by this mangaka (Tohru Kuramori), it's great. there were some comments on the pacing in the first two chapters in this thread when they dropped, but I think the pacing has been a strong point so far.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of manga would have had this happening in chapter 3 but instead we got a bit of world building which shows confidence which is promising.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Apocron posted:

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of manga would have had this happening in chapter 3 but instead we got a bit of world building which shows confidence which is promising.

I thought it showed more uncertainty. The first few chapters have felt like they were trying to find a direction, rather than going slow with a direction in mind. We end chapter 1 with a promise the hero can go safely to the land, chapter 2 is a monster fight with the same monsters told to offer passage. Chapter 3 and 4 are just slice of life, then chapter 5 introduces a monster threat that could have been offhandedly mentioned in 3 or 4 without disrupting their tone.

It's a good looking manga, but I feel like it's got some of the standard rookie difficulties, amplified by not being in Jump, where the axe always looms for the slow to start, forcing a more rapid choice of direction.

Not saying it's bad. Just considering patterns.

(Compare to Space Baby. Mangaka managed a moderate hit already, and perhaps in part because of that we get a much clearer sense of purpose from early on, even when the story is drifting around to show what life's like in the area.)

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Maybe you’re right about the start being shakier than I’m presenting it. I did think it was weird the immediate attack in chapter 2 but perhaps it’s building up some more myths about these dark creatures and potential internal conflict?

I do think that the slice of life chapters are not a safe move when there must be pressure for action every chapter and so it must take some level of confidence. Guess we’ll see if we can stick the landing since they can’t just live a happy life in the village but they don’t have much by way of a quest.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Witch Watch is really on a streak in the post-witch era.

The anime adaptation of that show is going to be weird.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Kill Blue: Final page mentioning Noren’s family having a private estate called Hexagon Manor sounds like it’s setting up for some real Resident Evil bullshit.

Deep Raputa: ”Boy dates skynet” is an incredibly funny premise but alas said boy seems to have had his personality surgically removed.

UU: Dunno if I suddenly turned into a moron but I had to read the chapter twice to follow what was going on. First time I somehow thought Nico’s super long named railgun attack was a word and wondered how he got multiple turns in a row. And didn’t immediately follow that Language suicided by saying the word marriage.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Me every week: god Sakamoto's firing on all cylinders again

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ibblebibble posted:

Me every week: god Sakamoto's firing on all cylinders again

I am simply in awe, every week, of how creative the fight choreography is in Sakamoto. The power sets and the way theyre used and the emphasis on the environment and found weapons is just so loving sweet. Hollywood needs to be reading this poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Mashima started a new manga last year in addition to Eden’s Zero

https://dead-rock.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_Rock_(manga)

Is it any good out of curiosity?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, not really. it's mashima experimenting by not using his usual plot armor or guaranteed good endings. so bad and frequently lethal poo poo happens all the time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, not really. it's mashima experimenting by not using his usual plot armor or guaranteed good endings. so bad and frequently lethal poo poo happens all the time.

Ah, so worse than his usual fare then. Good to know

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Larryb posted:

Ah, so worse than his usual fare then. Good to know
Literally nothing ever mattering is probably one of Mashima's biggest problems. I haven't read much of Dead Rock though.

Eden's Zero is him trying to weirdly subvert his "nothing ever matters" writing but it's also the typical Mashima work where it's a smorgasborg of his fetishes, lovingly rendered.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Literally nothing ever mattering is probably one of Mashima's biggest problems. I haven't read much of Dead Rock though.

Eden's Zero is him trying to weirdly subvert his "nothing ever matters" writing but it's also the typical Mashima work where it's a smorgasborg of his fetishes, lovingly rendered.

Yeah, I’ve been following EZ fairly regularly (not sure how much is left in the can but we’re definitely in the final arc now) and that’s a pretty good summary of it (also he steals more designs from Fairy Tail than Fairy Tail stole from Rave Master)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in dead rock the mc turns into acnologia. once. briefly. and then he seems to have been semi-permanently weakened.

but well, i'm always down for mashima to draw dragons. i love his dragon designs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does it have an Erza?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in dead rock the mc turns into acnologia. once. briefly. and then he seems to have been semi-permanently weakened.

but well, i'm always down for mashima to draw dragons. i love his dragon designs.

How much does Mashima rip himself off in that series design wise?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's like 15 chapters of it. go read it yourself if you are curious.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

you call it ripoff. yet tezuka-sensei and urasawa-sensei did the same. star system ftmfw.

all the strapping congoing youth of the 2000s-2010s with fairy tail tattoos are in their thirties and forties now :abuela:

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Time is a river that flows one-way.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
This is weird, there's been rumors but nothing confirmed right? For this to show up this way is kinda odd

https://x.com/MangaReporter/status/1791468420493422756

https://www.licenseglobal.com/publications/magazine-issue/may-2024?page=1 it's here if you scroll to the Netflix section

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not odd at all, if you think of it from the perspective of some low level employee that needs to have access to this information for their job, but doesn't really know if it's been officially announced yet, and frankly looking that up or asking someone would be pain in the rear end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Makes sense. After Yozakura Family and Undead Unluck, Sakamoto is next in line in terms of length.

Except Elusive Samurai, which is a bit of an odd duck with very little appeal outside of Japan.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm honestly slightly surprised it's not more popular given that it's the same guy that did Assassination Classroom but I may just have a soft spot and rose tinted glasses for that series.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sindai posted:

Makes sense. After Yozakura Family and Undead Unluck, Sakamoto is next in line in terms of length.

Except Elusive Samurai, which is a bit of an odd duck with very little appeal outside of Japan.

Huh Elusive Samurai is getting an anime in a month or two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFRMKQIPO4E

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Man I hope the Sakamoto Days anime has a budget

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shinji2015 posted:

Man I hope the Sakamoto Days anime has a budget

Yea its really worrying that theres not been any news of it?! Thats either going to be an all time banger or the biggest disappointment of the season. After striking it rich with Dungeon Meshi & Frieren both getting epic adaptations, I want Sakamoto to get the same love. It can do for well choreographed action what Frieren did for idyllic strolling through the country sides!!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's Netflix and every notable studio has stuff in the hopper. I think Bones could do it but I actually can't remember what they have going on outside of MHA (which has it's own team) and it's movie.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Am I missing anything where it actually says it's an anime? Most (all?) of the stuff in that list is live action, and Netflix has plenty of live-action anime stuff at this point. Just seems too weird that Shueisha would fumble a Sakamoto anime like this, even accounting for the issues with some of their more recent adaptations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I swear I saw an anime announcement for sakamoto last fall.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-edited out-

Because

This is the wrong thread and my brain shorted out

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 18, 2024

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
edit: welp

Alacron fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 18, 2024

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I caught up with Undead Unluck. It's weird just how it more or less immediately started with its brand of fights but took an extremely long time to figure out how to do character work and make Andy a character who isn't extremely repulsive. Even when Andy was toned down, there was a long stretch of chapters where I was reading more out of curiosity and inertia rather than full enjoyment, and it wasn't until Fuuko versus Spring that it fully clicked with me and I got emotionally invested. Which is way too long to ask to someone who values their time (so... not me) and so I'm surprised the manga managed to succeed, but the current set of arcs is extremely good and I'm glad the manga got the chance to evolve into this version of itself.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Robviously posted:

I'm honestly slightly surprised it's not more popular given that it's the same guy that did Assassination Classroom but I may just have a soft spot and rose tinted glasses for that series.

I mean, both of his previous series are my favorite of all time but I just could not follow Elusive Samurai past a certain point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc Decay was when I was actively enjoying reading even if it wasn’t setting my world on fire, and the end of Autumn with the Unknown fist bump was when I was fully onboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy loving poo poo Sakamoto Days what the loving gently caress.