Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
A1 has a much easier to swap nozzle design and eddy current sensor which lets it do active flow rate compensation. How much that matters is up to you but most likely the next gen X1 and P1 will use this newer nozzle design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Acid Reflux posted:

Do you just want to make nice prints with mostly PLA and PETG? Get an A1.

Sounds like this is the way to go. Should I pick up the hot ends kit and/or dual texture plate as part of this bundle, or is that just a thing for later if I ever decide I need more than stock stuff?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

deimos posted:

ASA is fine to have fans on if the chamber is around 40-50°C at a moderate airflow. As always... Needs to be tuned per filament.

Cooling too little causes curling, cooling too much... Causes curling.

It probably depends on what is printed. E.g. with a 2x3 mm gurney the trailing edges are no problem, but sharp edges without one tend to develop cracks when the print cools.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Elysium posted:

Sounds like this is the way to go. Should I pick up the hot ends kit and/or dual texture plate as part of this bundle, or is that just a thing for later if I ever decide I need more than stock stuff?

It will come with a 2-sided textured plate. Never hurts to have an extra in case you somehow manage to destroy the first one right away, but that's probably pretty unlikely. :)
I have 14 aftermarket plates with various patterns/finishes and I love them all

Having extra hot ends is a really good idea though. Just like any printer, these machines absolutely still can and will clog at the worst possible moment, so it's nice to have spares handy to do a quick swap if you don't want to deal with clearing one at that moment in time. Having said that... I bought the 0.2 / 0.4 / 0.6 kit and still haven't used anything but the 0.4. YMMV, etc.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I also bought the nozzle and plate pack. I was printing theatrical props that don't need to look nice close up, and the .6mm nozzle let me whip right through them. I like that the .4mm and .6mm nozzles in the kit are hardened, because I want to print glow in the dark fun stuff, and carbon fiber PLA.

edit: and I have 2 aftermarket plates coming from aliexpress, they're dirt cheap.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

how do you find a1's vs p1s for density? I specifically earmarked a 9 printer rack for my basement, and the p1's being core-xy and enclosed definitely seems like the route to go for my needs at least.

I guess this is a scale issue more than anything. If Space isn't a concern, a1's seem to come out ahead for sure.

Yeah for filling a rack the p1 is the way to go, I can fit another 10 printers in my space if I need to befit I really need to worry about starting to optimize my layout

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Well, that grow tent I thought was going to be just the right size for my CR-10 V3 is actually just a little too small; the bed hits the front and back of it at its max play (and I kinda suspect would melt the thin clear plastic in the viewing window at ABS temps). :argh:

Looking on Amazon, I think they might require me relocating the spool holder from the top which I can't be bothered with, so guess I'll be making one out of plywood or whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Are there any reliable methods for color matching an existing piece of plastic? This is RE: liquid resin.

Paint.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Well, that grow tent I thought was going to be just the right size for my CR-10 V3 is actually just a little too small; the bed hits the front and back of it at its max play (and I kinda suspect would melt the thin clear plastic in the viewing window at ABS temps). :argh:

Looking on Amazon, I think they might require me relocating the spool holder from the top which I can't be bothered with, so guess I'll be making one out of plywood or whatever.

Oh yeah relocating the spool holder to the side is likely required for most of the fabric enclosures I've seen.. It's pretty trivial to do though, assuming it fits your space with it on the side.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Hmm. They gave me a coupon for $20 off a Saturn 4 Ultra.

But I'd have to find a home for this Saturn 3 Ultra. I don't need two resin units.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 7, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Fair enough. Time to go down that rabbit hole I guess.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a way to apply fuzzy skin to just a specific face of a model, or similarly to exclude a specific face?

I have some very, very simple models, like rectangular-prism simple, that I'd like to have fuzzy skin on just a couple opposing faces and nowhere else. Be cool if I could just select the exact faces I want.

e: prusaslicer

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Fair enough. Time to go down that rabbit hole I guess.

its the simplest way but if you really want to go down coloring resins, it really depends on what color you're matching and what you have to work with and you could go nuts getting cyan, yellow, magenta and black dyes and match it drop by drop.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a way to apply fuzzy skin to just a specific face of a model, or similarly to exclude a specific face?

I have some very, very simple models, like rectangular-prism simple, that I'd like to have fuzzy skin on just a couple opposing faces and nowhere else. Be cool if I could just select the exact faces I want.

e: prusaslicer

Yes, you can apply fuzzy skin with a modifier (modifier being a 3d model, either imported or just a primitive added directly in the software) and apply fuzzy skin where the modifier intersects only.

There isn't a select face though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hmm. I tried that but it was…I don’t know how to describe it. Adding extra external perimeters inside the model?

Like I had the region set up as a cube and it just encompassed the face I want, but that led to an external perimeter inside the body of the model.

I also tried it with the region extending all the way through my object to encompass opposite sides, which I want anyhow, but not the two ends, and that just led to the extra internal perimeters along those faces instead, with wiggly poo poo inside behind the smooth faces.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Bad Munki posted:

Hmm. I tried that but it was…I don’t know how to describe it. Adding extra external perimeters inside the model?

Like I had the region set up as a cube and it just encompassed the face I want, but that led to an external perimeter inside the body of the model.

I also tried it with the region extending all the way through my object to encompass opposite sides, which I want anyhow, but not the two ends, and that just led to the extra internal perimeters along those faces instead, with wiggly poo poo inside behind the smooth faces.

Take the existing model, clone it, cut off the part you don't want to have fuzzy skin on, save the modified object as stl, use that as your modifier. Alignment will be a PITA.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hmm that's tricky. I've also occasionally run into edge cases here and there that require fiddling (usually with supports). I agree that slicing off a face and importing it -- maybe as a separate part rather than modifier? -- might be a good direction to try.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ahh! Printing with a fresh Z adjusted nozzle is so nice!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Ugh. I updated the firmware on my Prusa Mini to 6.0 and now it refuses to connect to Prusa Link or whatever.

Having it for my MK3.5 and Mini up until now has spoiled my workflow a little.

Uploading huge files to send them to the printer where I don't have to keep a browser constantly running when sending batches of things is nice.

The MK3.5 flashed 6.0 and restarted and reconnected to PrusaConnect/Link no issues.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Upgraded to a Bambu A1 and the experience so far had been nice. Until I tried using my Fremover PLA in it and now I'm getting constant "is the spool tangled?" prompts from the printer. It isn't, it purges and feeds clean enough but then when I hit resume print it just stops feeding, ruining the print. I've had two prints now where it starts doing ok and then this happens.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Springfield Fatts posted:

Upgraded to a Bambu A1 and the experience so far had been nice. Until I tried using my Fremover PLA in it and now I'm getting constant "is the spool tangled?" prompts from the printer. It isn't, it purges and feeds clean enough but then when I hit resume print it just stops feeding, ruining the print. I've had two prints now where it starts doing ok and then this happens.

How heavy is the spool? Is the hub of it a standard size? Wondering if that might be the cause.

Edit: Assuming you’re using the AMS lite.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 9, 2024

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Normal 1kg with about 20% used, and no just the normal spool holder on top.

Edit: did a bed level test print and just watched it, seems to be the design of the spool catching occasionally when rotating. Still doesn't explain the 'feeding ok then air printing issue' but at least I know some kind of spool holder adapter should fix it.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 9, 2024

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I have now started making giant slugs. Just, like, 1 pound slugs only. One my kids didn't want to take his slug into the ice cream shop because he thought someone would steal it, and know what? Someone would want to steal that thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

gvibes posted:

I have now started making giant slugs. Just, like, 1 pound slugs only. One my kids didn't want to take his slug into the ice cream shop because he thought someone would steal it, and know what? Someone would want to steal that thing.

Post pictures as that we may envy your family's slugs.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
People want it so badly. You get to see the kids (and adults) with sensory issues because they just want to hold it forever and ever

But do It in solid color only. Adding a stripe or similar drove people nuts with wanting to line them up properly

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Coming in out of nowhere to state that after having built a Voron 2.4 a year or two ago, and after having left 3D printing in the frustration of "nothing works, all the guides are too generic, nobody gives actual responses to my queries on subreddits", I took a shot at a clearance Creality K1.

Having been through all the Voron crap was enough of a trial by fire that it was doable to swap out the hotend with a Micro Swiss (I was too impatient to wait for Creality's replacement) and to swap out the extruder for a Creality warranty replacement. That plus some time futzing and tweaking with settings has basically given me an ABS printer that's been crazy reliable and usable.

For having spent $340 on it all told (I coughed up for the camera, but I don't count the Micro Swiss hotend) this is a surprisingly reliable and functional 3D printer if you know what you're doing. I haven't had one bed scrape other than me going in too hard with the scraper.

Now all I need is for someone to start producing flamingo or hot pink ABS other than Harajuku Pink and any kind of neon/electric blue ABS and it'll be perfection.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MJP posted:

Now all I need is for someone to start producing flamingo or hot pink ABS other than Harajuku Pink and any kind of neon/electric blue ABS and it'll be perfection.

Polymaker neon magenta ABS

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It looks way redder in photos and I haven't found an IRL picture - as far as I can tell it isn't what I'm going for :/

mewse
May 2, 2006

I have the neon orange and it also looks red until it's printed then it's a vibrant traffic cone orange. I bought the magenta but I haven't cracked the spool yet, maybe I can print a benchy and post a photo

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Polymaker pop pink ASA.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Roundboy posted:

People want it so badly. You get to see the kids (and adults) with sensory issues because they just want to hold it forever and ever

But do It in solid color only. Adding a stripe or similar drove people nuts with wanting to line them up properly

I was trying to get rid of my cheap silk filaments as they tend to bind in the AMS when filament switching and I printed 6 400g slugs over the course of a week. They are a tremendous hit with kids and adults both. My partner has been giving them out to her students who invariably see them and get excited. We’re down to just one slug left.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Okay now I have to see one of these slugs to see what people are going gaga over.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Okay now I have to see one of these slugs to see what people are going gaga over.

I’m assuming this thing. It’s quite popular and has a permissive license so you can sell prints if you want.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Yes, but specifically this one : https://www.printables.com/model/84723-huge-curled-up-friendly-articulated-slug

The larger version with brims around just the antenna in the front and curled let you get SO BIG

The Shia halud is coming out next, i just saw that

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Roundboy posted:

Yes, but specifically this one : https://www.printables.com/model/84723-huge-curled-up-friendly-articulated-slug

The larger version with brims around just the antenna in the front and curled let you get SO BIG

The Shia halud is coming out next, i just saw that

Almost half a of filament! God drat!

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Hey it's yet another post about first layer issues! (Neptune 3 printer FYI)

(sorry for the blurryish photo it's night right now)
This is printing directly after a full bed auto level, so I'm wondering what it could be. The left side is going down perfectly, but the layer starts to get these 'bald' streaks as it approaches the middle of the bed, and they get worse the further to the right it goes.
My first assumption is that the V-rollers under the bed are hosed again, since that's been a common theme on my printer... but I'm asking for a second opinion if it might be something else.
Like could my bed be warped? And if so is it just a matter of replacing the PEI sheet, or would the thick metal plate underneath be bad too?
In some ways I kinda hope it's not the V-rollers just cause they are a pain to replace...

Edit: also while I'm here I'm noticing these little pinhole gaps where the infill meets the perimeter. I don't think it's an issue, but if it's a quick adjustment on some setting in prusaslicer I would be glad to hear about it.

Edit 2: now that I'm awake in the morning and the print's done, yeah the V-rollers (luckily) just needed to be adjusted a bit.
Edit 3: poo poo like this makes me want to install linear rails for the bed, but I have no clue how I would do it and it would also cost more than it's probably worth

BadMedic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 12, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I need help calibrating my printer. I'm doing the recommended guide for printing first layers and I can't get my prints to stick! I've calibrated my extruder and done the rough Z calibration for my printer with the sheet of paper like its documentation recommends, but prints just won't stick! What am I doing wrong?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I need help calibrating my printer. I'm doing the recommended guide for printing first layers and I can't get my prints to stick! I've calibrated my extruder and done the rough Z calibration for my printer with the sheet of paper like its documentation recommends, but prints just won't stick! What am I doing wrong?

What kind of bed? General rule if it's removable is wash it with soap and water then dry it with a clean paper towel.

If that doesn't make it stick then baby step your z during a first layer until it does.

E: if it's not removable, wash it at least three times with plenty of IPA and fresh paper towels for each wash.

deimos fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 12, 2024

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

What kind of bed? General rule if it's removable is wash it with soap and water then dry it with a clean paper towel.

If that doesn't make it stick then baby step your z during a first layer until it does.

E: if it's not removable, wash it at least three times with plenty of IPA and fresh paper towels for each wash.

It's a textured removable sheet. I just removed it and gave it a good clean. Prints still won't stick. I can't even print a Benchy.

What does "baby step your Z" mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kid sinister posted:

It's a textured removable sheet. I just removed it and gave it a good clean. Prints still won't stick. I can't even print a Benchy.

What does "baby step your Z" mean?
Set it high and bring it down as it's printing in very small increments until it's right.