Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Set it high and bring it down as it's printing in very small increments until it's right.

How do I do that when the print is lifting and sticking to the nozzle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

kid sinister posted:

At some point it will stick to the bed. At which time you stop the print and save the new offset.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

At some point it will stick to the bed. At which time you stop the print and save the new offset.

Well I've adjusted the nozzle down from high above the bed down to where I can hear it scraping. Nothing is sticking.

I've been trying to calibrate all day and I'm stuck on loving step 2.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kid sinister posted:

Is the bed heating? What bed material?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Is the bed heating? What bed material?

Yes it's heating. It's at 50 C. It's a textured magnetic reversible sheet.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What material (filament) are you trying to print on what material (build plate)? "Textured magnetic" is not a material.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Javid posted:

What material (filament) are you trying to print on what material (build plate)? "Textured magnetic" is not a material.

PLA. I picked this specific roll because it never gave me problems before.

This build plate https://www.sovol3d.com/products/sovol-sv07-pei-magnetic-flexible-plate

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Do you have other plates that work with this printer?

Might be a silly question, but is there any kind of protective film on the plate that needs to be taken off?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

When I first got my printer, I was plagued by adhesion problems. I eventually discovered this was caused by invisible residue from my paper towels, probably the glue that holds the plies together. This could be happening to you!!!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Huh. This just came out. One layer thick calibration square. My best one yet

The Chairman posted:

Do you have other plates that work with this printer?

Might be a silly question, but is there any kind of protective film on the plate that needs to be taken off?

No I don't, but it is reversible. Let me try flipping it over.

I don't see any film.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 13, 2024

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019
Based on that photo, nozzle is still way too high, or you're massively under extruding.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Goofball posted:

Based on that photo, nozzle is still way too high, or you're massively under extruding.

The nozzle was about scraping the bed. I just set the extruder! And it's extruding a perfect 100 mm as per the guide. Or did I do it wrong?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I started working on this months ago, but between getting supplies (didn't have any soldering equipment) and two children under 4yo, it took a bit to prioritize.

Looks cool plugged in. Sooooo much cleanup left on the back though.

This is where I found it. https://makerworld.com/en/models/112019#profileId-119974 I would like to see him take on a NY Rangers sign...
Hell, I'd like to know the process so I could fart around and make some of my own designs. I have practically no 3d modeling/CAD experience, but do enjoy a challenge.

Goofball
Apr 4, 2019

kid sinister posted:

The nozzle was about scraping the bed. I just set the extruder! And it's extruding a perfect 100 mm as per the guide. Or did I do it wrong?

IDK what to tell you there. "Just about scraping the bed" isn't an actual measurement. The difference in a good first layer from "it doesn't stick" to "is over squished" can be a range of about 0.10mm which is pretty damned hard to judge by eye.

Looking at that 1st layer the extrusion lines aren't well connected if at all and you've got several spots that are just straight up missing material. You don't say how you're adjusting/checking Z offset & you haven't mentioned what method you used to determine your extrusion multiplier. Could also possibly be a clogged nozzle or buildup in the heatbreak/throat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

kid sinister posted:

The calibration is about the length pulled into the extruder, not the length coming out the nozzle.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ohvee posted:

I started working on this months ago, but between getting supplies (didn't have any soldering equipment) and two children under 4yo, it took a bit to prioritize.

This is where I found it. https://makerworld.com/en/models/112019#profileId-119974 I would like to see him take on a NY Rangers sign...
Hell, I'd like to know the process so I could fart around and make some of my own designs. I have practically no 3d modeling/CAD experience, but do enjoy a challenge.

Ok these are super cool and I need the Transformers/Stormtrooper/Boba Fett ones. Time to fire up the printers lol

Also, a quick google search of tutorial 3d printed LED neon sign pulled up a bunch of tutorials on how to make them.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

mattfl posted:

Also, a quick google search of tutorial 3d printed LED neon sign pulled up a bunch of tutorials on how to make them.
That makes sense. That's my first impulse for everything I do, but for whatever reason didn't think to just Google it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Now all I need is for someone to start producing flamingo or hot pink ABS other than Harajuku Pink and any kind of neon/electric blue ABS and it'll be perfection.

The pink issue has been solved permanently: KVP did a hot pink ABS that is INSANE. https://i.imgur.com/br2NEBW.mp4

Apparently they don't make it anymore, I had to buy this off someone on Ebay, but goddamn is it the platonic ideal of synthwave pink. The blue is Polymaker Teal ABS - not quite electric blue but a great match.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you want pink PETG California Filament has a good one.

They exclusively sell PETG best I can tell, tho.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Some Pinko Commie posted:

The calibration is about the length pulled into the extruder, not the length coming out the nozzle.

That's.... what I measured.

Goofball posted:

IDK what to tell you there. "Just about scraping the bed" isn't an actual measurement. The difference in a good first layer from "it doesn't stick" to "is over squished" can be a range of about 0.10mm which is pretty damned hard to judge by eye.

Looking at that 1st layer the extrusion lines aren't well connected if at all and you've got several spots that are just straight up missing material. You don't say how you're adjusting/checking Z offset & you haven't mentioned what method you used to determine your extrusion multiplier. Could also possibly be a clogged nozzle or buildup in the heatbreak/throat.

My printer recommends the paper method of setting the gap. It's never failed before.

It's a brand new nozzle. I haven't gotten to the extrusion multiplier yet. It's 2 steps away on the guide.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 13, 2024

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

kid sinister posted:

That's.... what I measured.

You wouldn't believe how many people in this thread over the years posted meaning the amount out the nozzle.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Some Pinko Commie posted:

You wouldn't believe how many people in this thread over the years posted meaning the amount out the nozzle.

No I meant I did it exactly the guide way, measuring 120mm from the top of the printer head, extruding 100mm and measuring the difference.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

kid sinister posted:

It's a brand new nozzle. I haven't gotten to the extrusion multiplier yet. It's 2 steps away on the guide.

You calibrated the extrusion of 100mm but you haven't set the extrusion multiplier yet? Whut?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BMan posted:

You calibrated the extrusion of 100mm but you haven't set the extrusion multiplier yet? Whut?

They're separate steps in the guide, with setting the print gap step in between those 2 steps.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BMan posted:

Uhh, why "whut?" this is exactly how this works. Extrusion length calibration is setting the extruder to extrude (as close as possible) exactly the amount you're expecting it to, it's an extruder setting calibration. Extrusion multiplier is about the variations between filaments and it's done properly by printing tickets.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Ohvee posted:

That looks amazing. I'm going to have to try one.

Thanks for the recommendations on the P1S. Set it up over the weekend, and it's incredible. Fast, great prints, everything pops right off the bed, and no failures so far.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I haven't been paying that close attention to your problem but it seems like your main hangup is that filament is not really sticking to your bed, and the build plate is also new. That right?

If so then your build plate might need a good cleaning/wash.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

If so then your build plate might need a good cleaning/wash.

He mentioned he did earlier.

Kid: is your bed trammed (aka leveled)?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

He mentioned he did earlier.

Kid: is your bed trammed (aka leveled)?

Yes I leveled it, did Z Tilt, bed mesh, all of that.

I'll try cleaning it one more time.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid sinister posted:

I'll try cleaning it one more time.
Rinse it until you think it's probably good and then keep it under the water for 20 or 30 more seconds. Make sure you're using very warm to hot water too, cold water is more likely to leave soap residue behind.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Huh. This just came out. One layer thick calibration square. My best one yet

I'm avoiding the extrusion multiplier vs extruder length calibration people in the thread, I don't know what they're talking about, here's what I see:

The lines look squished, which is good, but they're not touching, which is bad. So either your nozzle has to get closer to the bed or you've messed up the extrusion multiplier and there's not enough plastic to fill the gaps.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
When you set e-steps, did you have the hot end connected? Or did you just extrude through the extruder into free space? I agree with everyone above that it looks like your under extruding. If you've ruled out physical obstructions in the filament path, another thing to try is printing a bit hotter. (I don't think that's likely to be the issue, because you'd probably just get a clog if you were really printing too cold, but hey it's another thing to try.)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I figured it out! :toot:

I only had the filament at the default Cura setting which was only 190 C!!!

At least it's progress. I can continue calibrating now!

mewse
May 2, 2006

:chloe:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

kid, what are you using for a slicer? I have an idea, but it's only relevant in a very particular case so I don't want to bring it up if it's not applicable.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Acid Reflux posted:

kid, what are you using for a slicer? I have an idea, but it's only relevant in a very particular case so I don't want to bring it up if it's not applicable.

Cura

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

OK... this might be a bit of a long shot, because this was supposed to be fixed a very long time ago... but just for fun:

On the top menu, go to Settings -> Printer -> Manage Printers.

When the window pops up, pick "Printers" on the left side. Make sure your printer is selected in the list (it should be the only one, I'm guessing) and then hit the "Machine Settings" button to the right.

On the new window that comes up, pick the "Extruder 1" tab and look at the value of "Compatible material diameter". If that value is anything other than 1.75, then I'm going to go make some noise in a Cura forum somewhere.

If it is already set to 1.75, then I'm sorry I led you on the wild goose chase, but we've still eliminated a potential problem.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

shop update:

65,000 in revenue so far this year crossed today. considering I did 95k for all of last year, this'll be easily double that. deeeefinitely considering some kind of expansion now as shits getting busy and 10 fdm printers are just running constantly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it still a 1 person show or have you been hiring extra hands already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is it still a 1 person show or have you been hiring extra hands already?

just me!