Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It's just good storytelling. They built things up, they made you care about them, they didn't violate that time commitment by giving you a bullshit ending to the stories. Everything they did made sense, all the way down to the 40 second squash match.

The work was exceptional, everything paid off, no distractions or gently caress finishes. They made every single second of that show feel significant.

Content wise, a two-hour network show is roughly the same length as a three-hour raw and instead of cramming so much lovely filler in, they took advantage of every last bit of time made available to them and people stayed 100% into it throughout because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I genuinely curious how you guys are construing HHH's tweet to be in any way a negative thing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I genuinely curious how you guys are construing HHH's tweet to be in any way a negative thing.

Meh it's not really negative but I just found it pandering. I'm just way too down on WWE right now to have any faith that these guy's performances will effect their career in the long term.

Meltzer talked about it on the Observer, how HHH making comments like "Sami is very talented but it will take a while for him to get over". The same kind of comments they made about Cesaro, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So yeah HHH makes his brass ring comments but we'll see how it plays out when the guys finally get out of NXT.

Edit: And thinking about it, really I think what annoyed me about what he said was just the obvious dig at CM Punk, it's all just so petty.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 12, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I read HHH's comments about Zayn getting over as despair that Vince got a new saline solution to sleep in and doctors have added another 50 years to his life expectancy.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

triplexpac posted:

Meh it's not really negative but I just found it pandering. I'm just way too down on WWE right now to have any faith that these guy's performances will effect their career in the long term.

Meltzer talked about it on the Observer, how HHH making comments like "Sami is very talented but it will take a while for him to get over". The same kind of comments they made about Cesaro, which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So yeah HHH makes his brass ring comments but we'll see how it plays out when the guys finally get out of NXT.

I took the "Sami will take a while to get over" as being in a single match. He's really just completely generic looking and people aren't going to be interested in him. When he performs, and when he goes hard in the ring, his storytelling is fantastic and it sucks you in. It's the Bryan situation all over again. Indie followers know who he his and know how good he is, but your RAW viewer doesn't. They see him and they scoffed him off at the start. By the end of the match he had you cheering and screaming your head off.

triplexpac posted:

Edit: And thinking about it, really I think what annoyed me about what he said was just the obvious dig at CM Punk, it's all just so petty.

And most of CM Punk's interviews was taking digs at HHH. The two don't like each other. I'm sure you have plenty of petty grudges.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sami is over as the bunny. neville will debut as a guy in a giant armadillo foam suit. kevin owens will dance in a giant diaper.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I kind wish they would just call up Breeze... he's really getting lost in the shuffle with all these big names coming in, he's not going to sniff the NXT title anytime soon so he might as well graduate. I love that guy, and I was sad he didn't get anything to do on the event last night.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if they call up breeze they will probably put him against ryback and he will get triple shell shocked along with rutherford ps hayes and cm skunk

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

I kind wish they would just call up Breeze... he's really getting lost in the shuffle with all these big names coming in, he's not going to sniff the NXT title anytime soon so he might as well graduate. I love that guy, and I was sad he didn't get anything to do on the event last night.

I hope they don't because his character has had no growth since he debuted. If they moved him to the main roster, he'd basically become Emma.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 12, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I hope they don't because his character has had no growth since he debuted. If they moved him to the main roster, he would basically become Emma.
They're going to make him Santino's love interest?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

I hope they don't because his character has had no growth since he debuted. If they moved him to the main roster, he would basically become Emma.

Honestly at this point they should just keep all these guys in NXT and insulate them from Vince so I can watch them and not get enraged when they're fed to Cena, or in Breeze's case, Miz.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
They've been teasing Breeze being a ladykiller with Natalya half-way behind Tyson's back and half-way in front of his face, and with the amount of backstage couples they have today, he wouldn't run out of feuds too quickly. They do need to fill out his character though, because as mentioned simply being a nonchalant male model has a short shelf life.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I dunno, I feel like Breeze had SOME development... like obviously he's still a male model, but weren't they pushing him as more "serious" when he was in that main event triple threat? I seem to remember them really putting over his skill and he would beat the crap out of guys, rather than being the wimp who wanted to protect his face all the time.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
If his character gets too stale he can just start wrestling in a collared shirt as the New and Improved Tyler Breeze.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the things I forgot to mention that I loved is after Sami won there was a literal DANCE PARTY in the stands. That music owns so much and it just made the moment that much happier. :3:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Another nice little touch, and you can check this out in the gif thread, when all the people were coming to celebrate, Owens rushes to get their first and when he gets on the apron, Zayn takes a defensive step back. I know it's the WWE and Raw is the meat grinder, but shows like this give me hope. I should know better, but I'll always have Wrestlemania 30 (live in person!)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spikeguy posted:

Another nice little touch, and you can check this out in the gif thread, when all the people were coming to celebrate, Owens rushes to get their first and when he gets on the apron, Zayn takes a defensive step back. I know it's the WWE and Raw is the meat grinder, but shows like this give me hope. I should know better, but I'll always have Wrestlemania 30 (live in person!)

Word. :hfive:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

One of the things I forgot to mention that I loved is after Sami won there was a literal DANCE PARTY in the stands. That music owns so much and it just made the moment that much happier. :3:

Yeah I mentioned this to my wife as we were watching it... just looking at the pure joy of the people in the stands, it was awesome. It's hard to give smarky crowds like that a moment that they legitimately get into, but this worked. The only comparison I can think of is Daniel Bryan this year, and WWE more or less stumbled into that.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

For as much as I thought his music hurts the "big match feel"-ness when he dances to the ring for his entrance, it makes it up and more by being loving amazing as a cathartic post-match party theme

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Caught this today and loved the show start to finish. Sasha Banks is real great at being a heel, Sami is even greater at being a face and Kevin Owens' nose will not stop bleeding and that scares me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Blasmeister posted:

Caught this today and loved the show start to finish. Sasha Banks is real great at being a heel, Sami is even greater at being a face and Kevin Owens' nose will not stop bleeding and that scares me.

He loved Sami so much that his stitches burst open

Seriously they shot a video of HHH watching him get stitches during the Tag Title match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OctoberCountry posted:

If his character gets too stale he can just start wrestling in a collared shirt as the New and Improved Tyler Breeze.

You jest, but if they could book the tag division worth a poo poo I still think him and Fandango would be hilarious together. They'd form a mutual respect based on the fact that Fandango and Rosa aren't uggos.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Nerokerubina posted:

For as much as I thought his music hurts the "big match feel"-ness when he dances to the ring for his entrance, it makes it up and more by being loving amazing as a cathartic post-match party theme

Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing... trying to picture that ending celebration if they gave Sami like... Randy Orton's theme or something. Some generic rock song.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

triplexpac posted:

Haha yeah I was thinking the same thing... trying to picture that ending celebration if they gave Sami like... Randy Orton's theme or something. Some generic rock song.

Even with a good theme like, say, Balor's, or something, it would still feel like "a wrestler is celebrating i guess" instead of what it was which was the literal happiest moment of 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

When you get a chip on your shoulder about being invested in wrestling despite knowing that it's rigged, you have to enjoy the product the right way, with the right disconnect, and that means compulsively pointing out works and ribs wherever they might be and working out what real significance they have backstage. It's like the prograps equivalent of dudes at concerts standing in the back with their arms crossed. It lets everybody know you appreciate the music, but that you've got too much dignity to, you know, dance. It's too serious for that

Triple H brings that out of people better than anyone. He knows it, and I think he enjoys it.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 12, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Another reason Alex Riley is terrible: He called a Michinoku Driver a powerbomb.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Another reason Alex Riley is terrible: He called a Michinoku Driver a powerbomb.

It's even worse because he's used a Michinoku Driver before so he should know better

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

WadeBartender posted:

It's even worse because he's used a Michinoku Driver before so he should know better

Alex Riley got confused during a brawl and hit the michinoku driver on a member of his own faction

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Michinoku drivers are for people who don't even speak English.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

When you get a chip on your shoulder about being invested in wrestling despite knowing that it's rigged, you have to enjoy the product the right way, with the right disconnect, and that means compulsively pointing out works and ribs wherever they might be and working out what real significance they have backstage. It's like the prograps equivalent of dudes at concerts standing in the back with their arms crossed. It lets everybody know you appreciate the music, but that you've got too much dignity to, you know, dance. It's too serious for that

Triple H brings that out of people better than anyone. He knows it, and I think he enjoys it.

lol

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Michinoku drivers are for people who don't even speak English.

I don't know, I couldn't understand half of what Riley was saying last night.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

it's not really competition or motivation because the main roster has to compete with one arm pinned behind their back by the Office all the time so it's more likely to breed resentment or disillusionment or bitterness

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Show was rad as gently caress. I marked out when Owens turned on Sami. So much history there.

I caught a replay, so they censored everything Sami said towards the end of the match. What'd he say?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Well thanks for making GBS threads all over my excitement with logic and reality, jerkface. :mad:

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Show was rad as gently caress. I marked out when Owens turned on Sami. So much history there.

I caught a replay, so they censored everything Sami said towards the end of the match. What'd he say?

Was also censored "live" (likely 3-5 second delay). No idea.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DEAR RICHARD posted:

He muttered "god dammit" once or twice.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
He also screamed "gently caress THAT" when he decided to not hit Neville with the belt. Lotta cussing.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He also said "Get up motherfucker"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

El Generico was never that filthy

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

oatgan posted:

El Generico was never that filthy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTR7xg2NZ3Y&feature=youtu.be&t=60s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there any where I can watch the Steen Generico feud without having to buy 20 dvds?

• Locked thread