Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mechanically I can understand why they didn't have her shoot gigantic fireballs like she does as an enemy, since that was always supposed to be a misdirection from her real power of controlling shadows (in particular, the shadows cast by her flames), but the kit they gave her doesn't seem to have anything to do with that either. As people have noted, it's very weird.

Maybe they should have gone even further with the "on the second use" gimmick and given all her skills weird secondary effects on future uses, to represent using the shadows cast by her first use (which her S3 currently does not feel like at all, for the record).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Clarste posted:

I feel like this is exactly the place to complain about the story though?

Viviana is such an afterthought in this event, which is weird for a headliner. It's like they couldn't really figure out what to do with her, so they just had her go in circles while other people advanced the plot. Like, I won't deny that she's thematically connected the whole "everyone is caught up in some defining tragedy of the past" thing, but she literally doesn't do anything in the final confrontation, even after she dramatically finds her resolve. It's like, if you didn't know what to do with her, maybe she shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Oh I was just going to save my complaining about the story until I actually complete the final stage, but I might as well go ahead now: I think this is the worst written event we've had in a long time. Overlong, meandering, a confused gaggle of b-plots that barely intersect, ditching the initially engaging magical detective procedural conceit in favour of getting tangled up in its obtuse metaphysics. And Viviana is probably the biggest victim of it all, because even when she does get an actual character beat shining through the cruft it winds up ranging from dull to kind of unhinged. Like seriously what was up with her big scene with Cora.

Cora: I'm gonna destroy the curse that's been making people suffer for a millenium
Viv: You can't do that because hurting people is bad, I'm gonna stop you (straight-up murders Cora, does not actually stop her plot)
Cora: Wow... You truly are the strongest and coolest of us... (dies)

If I was supposed to come away from that with a sense of Viv's inner strength it whiffed completely. Where's her interplay of light and shadow? Where's her yearning for the romantic only to be continuously disappointed by the mundane?* It's like they forgot the cool character they wrote in Near Light entirely, and instead we get daddy issues. So I guess the mechanics do match the story after all?

*closest thing we get is that scene of her imagining alternate ways her life could have gone which is her strongest bit

Also Ebenholz' resolution is like something out of a self-help book. Tawdry stuff. At least Fremont was cool

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not trying to tell people that they're bad and wrong if they use her and have fun... but I also don't really get it. Her kit is both basic and weak. You push a button and she does decentish damage to one enemy for a short time while being tanky with some big asterisks. I'm not sure why the big Viviana fans wouldn't be disappointed by it. Frankly sticking that kit on a fan favorite character makes it worse. It would be less disappointing if they had given it to, say, that black knight guy who didn't exist before this event.

If you're playing on global Specter was already known to be a (eventually) strong operator by the time she released. Not Texas tier or anything but certainly not "mid". Her banner was also a different situation with two very solid operators whereas this one is a jackpot and a dud.

I don't get people who slam down 12 e2 90 meta operators on every map. That sounds like an incredibly boring way to play the game. Weaker operators are more fun to use, generally speaking.

Indecisive posted:

look if you put viviana in front of nearl knight s1 like god intended then by god they are gonna gently caress that 1 square UP

I did this on the new annihilation, and it worked really well actually.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

Oh I was just going to save my complaining about the story until I actually complete the final stage, but I might as well go ahead now:
Oh, I had assumed you'd finished. Maybe you should wait, but I suppose it wouldn't change much.

quote:

Like seriously what was up with her big scene with Cora.

Cora: I'm gonna destroy the curse that's been making people suffer for a millenium
Viv: You can't do that because hurting people is bad, I'm gonna stop you (straight-up murders Cora, does not actually stop her plot)
Cora: Wow... You truly are the strongest and coolest of us... (dies)

If I was supposed to come away from that with a sense of Viv's inner strength it whiffed completely. Where's her interplay of light and shadow? Where's her yearning for the romantic only to be continuously disappointed by the mundane?* It's like they forgot the cool character they wrote in Near Light entirely, and instead we get daddy issues. So I guess the mechanics do match the story after all?
As for this though, I really don't get the impression that she was supposed to be cool there, so much as it was yet another instance of her feeling trapped and lacking control over her life. Like, it was directly preceded by her going "yeah, I've known you were the mastermind for a while now, but I really, really wished we could just pretend you weren't so I wouldn't have to confront you about it." It's like, Viviana felt that she had to stop her simply because she didn't realize she had a choice, and following that path of least resistance isn't exactly a triumphant moment. Which of course ties into Cora's plans as well as the theme of the entire event: people with no hope in the present become trapped by the past, unable to imagine a future (Michael says this fairly early in the story, pretty much word for word). The Golden Movement is a literal embodiment of a nation trapped by its past, and everyone is too scared to change it because they can't imagine a future without it. So of course Cora trying to destroy it is terrifying! Just as terrifying as accepting that your dad made a terrible choice that ruined your entire family, and moving on from that.

That said, it did feel a little awkward how they tried to force the whole "I saw something special in you from the beginning" angle, from Cora's side. Charitably I guess you could saw she saw in Viviana the potential to become someone different from her parents, no longer trapped by their collective pasts, but it's unclear why she would think that, and what she'd seen of Viviana during the event kind of proved the opposite? Or I guess she just saw her as a surrogate daughter and pinned all her hopes on her for no rational reason.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 6, 2024

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I think what trips me up is that rather than her typical quiet resignation, she here acts with a before unseen level of moral spine and clarity. Her viewpoint of "hurting people is wrong no matter the intentions" is certainly anything but unusual for a protagonist in media broadly, even if Arknights' main story is in large part about how that ethos alone is kind of insufficient for engaging with the world. And when then even the person she is arguing with paints that as both proof of her inner strength and indicative of her most sincere, uncompromised emotions, it's hard for me to not just take that at face value. But that's what I mean by it being muddled - there's so many competing cues here it's hard for me to figure out what my takeaway is even supposed to be.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm a roguelike addict and while i'm sure there are people out there who can beat asc 15 without crutching on overpowered meta 6*s, i'm sure as hell not one of them

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Terry van Feleday posted:

I think what trips me up is that rather than her typical quiet resignation, she here acts with a before unseen level of moral spine and clarity. Her viewpoint of "hurting people is wrong no matter the intentions" is certainly anything but unusual for a protagonist in media broadly, even if Arknights' main story is in large part about how that ethos alone is kind of insufficient for engaging with the world. And when then even the person she is arguing with paints that as both proof of her inner strength and indicative of her most sincere, uncompromised emotions, it's hard for me to not just take that at face value. But that's what I mean by it being muddled - there's so many competing cues here it's hard for me to figure out what my takeaway is even supposed to be.

To be clear, I don't think the story is condemning Viviana for this, it seems to think of it as an act of kindness that shows her true nature. Just like her father, she can't ignore the people suffering in front of her, and in this case that means stopping the person who is causing that suffering. But it's not a triumphant moment, it's a tragic moment, where this kind nature of hers forces her to do something that will only bring her pain. It's not supposed to be a thing where she's finally forced to stand up for her beliefs or anything, where a hero finds their resolve. It's the opposite, where by being the hero she objectively makes her life worse, even if maybe it was necessary. She had no better solution. Which leads directly into her next bit where she explores the doors looking for maybe a life that didn't suck.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea there were already kind of enough people going to fight the Bad Evil, she had time to do her own thing. It woulda been nice if there was a bit more resolution to her character growth but I was overall positive on the story as a whole aside from the mega overpadding, they definitely could have trimmed this event down a lot, like at least 20% less words. hell just turn the 20 consonant german words into normal words and it would be noticably shorter and easier to read

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need to stop farming rocks and start reading the event, huh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Indecisive posted:

hell just turn the 20 consonant german words into normal words and it would be noticably shorter and easier to read

Das Kaiserinnenfest is actually shorter than The Empresses' Celebration.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

sure but what if it was kaiserpalooza

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Why'd the twin empresses want to have their celebration be gendered to be clearly male? You can't really get much shorter than Kaiserinnenfest. If you wanted to shorten something you'd go with Güldenes Gesatz into Golden Law.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Fwiw I don't think Surtr is a fair way to criticise Viv because Surtr is so cracked she's literally warped the game. She's more of a murder helidrop unit I guess whereas Viv is a bit more of a traditional unit. She does feel very old school but I've found Viv perfectly fine to use, albeit a bit uninspiring.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Virtuosa clowned the new annihilation, I’m very happy I e2’d her because that was the easiest blind 400 ever. Parked her on the tile that reaches both lanes with a bit of healing to prop her up and popped the s3 whenever the lanes filled up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
New annihilation was a good fit for my burgeoning cast of e2 6*s and it's the first time I've cleared one going in blind on the first try.

Pozy and Ines were clutch in holding down the bomb making GBS threads obelisks (typewriter did some work on the bottom middle ranged tile pointing up at the defender eaters or right at the steam tank swarms as well) and Virtuosa was excellent for chipping down the swarm while Typhon and FedEx cleaned up.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Flipswitch posted:

Fwiw I don't think Surtr is a fair way to criticise Viv because Surtr is so cracked she's literally warped the game. She's more of a murder helidrop unit I guess whereas Viv is a bit more of a traditional unit. She does feel very old school but I've found Viv perfectly fine to use, albeit a bit uninspiring.

People that say Viv doesn't work because Surtr don't understand how the game works imo.

Surtr's main usage is so far divorced from normal arts guard usage she might as well not be one, much like you don't generally use SA for Lord business.

The problem is that Viv is kinda meh even as an Arts Guard in itself from what I understand.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

People never remember them because S3 exists, but Surtr's S1 and S2 are perfectly decent and there's nothing stopping you from using her to help hold a lane with those instead of using her for helidropping. Like, just shove her behind a blocker (or not, depending on just how many enemies the lane is getting) with her S2 on and she'll happily chew through a huge number of enemies with a short enough cooldown that she'll have it back up between waves. Or for long waves, it's probably going to be recharged before you run out of block slots.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Finished my BN8 clear of IS4 tonight with Texalter, Mlynar, and Surtr on the squad. Pretty sure I killed the final boss before the wave count even got to 20 enemies, it was probably the comfiest boss fight I've ever had

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

People never remember them because S3 exists, but Surtr's S1 and S2 are perfectly decent and there's nothing stopping you from using her to help hold a lane with those instead of using her for helidropping. Like, just shove her behind a blocker (or not, depending on just how many enemies the lane is getting) with her S2 on and she'll happily chew through a huge number of enemies with a short enough cooldown that she'll have it back up between waves. Or for long waves, it's probably going to be recharged before you run out of block slots.

Yes, but also no, because the opportunity cost of not using S3 is great enough that pretty much every time I've tried to use another skill I wished I'd just used S3 instead tbh.

AMapleWithAName
Aug 16, 2021

You're on a path in the woods.
Survey's out, be sure to tell them about how much you love Bagpipe's voice and how they should do it more often.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's actually true, they care a lot about fan response.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Praying as hard as I can for sexy Spaniard Thorns personally.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

AMapleWithAName posted:

Survey's out, be sure to tell them about how much you love Bagpipe's voice and how they should do it more often.

:hai: I always praise regional accents and dubs

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I wonder if it was just a scheduling thing, but I found it funny that they got a different VA for Ebenholz's german lines, when they specifically got someone that speaks german already for the english voice when he was released.

But yeah, regional voices/dialects are cool.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I just remembered why I always install, uninstall repeat with this game. Just got another 6* on the banner and it is another Viviana.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Welcome to gacha games. At least it sounds like you didn't spend a lot of rolls for that, hopefully? And -1 dp cost will help a little bit

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nah, I just got the monthly and a couple other things when I came back. With a gacha system like this I’d be way too deep if I were buying pulls.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Clarste posted:

Or keep all the most meta units in a box at level 1 so you can laugh at people internally.

This is my way. My Surtr and Mountain and Silver Ash are all level 1 still, and staying there. I will continue to completely depend on Ifrit to carry me to victory.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ngl it's still funny to me that Surtr is the metric for meta breaking the game when Goldenglow exists. maybe I'm using her wrong but her global mega-damage just breaks a lot.... a LOT of maps

e: if I need a boss-killer I deploy Cuora to hold the boss still for GG's second skill

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

Yes, but also no, because the opportunity cost of not using S3 is great enough that pretty much every time I've tried to use another skill I wished I'd just used S3 instead tbh.

surtr s2 has saved my rear end so many times in IS, without it spending 6 hope on an e1 surtr would be extremely risky in a lot of situations, but even when promoted the extra block lets her hold tough lanes viviana/amiya/astesia couldn't

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Reiterpallasch posted:

surtr s2 has saved my rear end so many times in IS, without it spending 6 hope on an e1 surtr would be extremely risky in a lot of situations, but even when promoted the extra block lets her hold tough lanes viviana/amiya/astesia couldn't

It's also really useful in SSS, especially since you can drop her behind your turbo Defender and play through.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

I've never used her in IS whatsoever, so I can't comment on that. E1 Surtr sounds very mid there tho? Why not take mountain?

Also Surtr S2 doesn't give extra block, what are you talking about?

LornMarkus posted:

It's also really useful in SSS, especially since you can drop her behind your turbo Defender and play through.

At that point I'd just take Blaze or Nearl or something which can do the same but afk.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the extra attack, sorry

and...i'm not sure i understand? they're really different units, you pick surtr if you think you'll be needing a helidrop true cleaving dps, and you'd pick mountain if you thought you needed laneholding? but mountain is also pretty actively bad if you're trying to push the ascension levels in IS. his whole thing is being a really cheap, self-sufficient Good Enough unit but Good Enough is extremely not great when things have triple their base attack and hp; mountain's low attack scale will struggle to scratch anything beyond trash mobs and enemies will just eat his face before the self-healing has enough time to do anything. i think there are a lot of cases in which i'd draft castle-3 over even a free temporary recruitment mountain.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Reiterpallasch posted:

the extra attack, sorry

and...i'm not sure i understand? they're really different units, you pick surtr if you think you'll be needing a helidrop true cleaving dps, and you'd pick mountain if you thought you needed laneholding? but mountain is also pretty actively bad if you're trying to push the ascension levels in IS. his whole thing is being a really cheap, self-sufficient Good Enough unit but Good Enough is extremely not great when things have triple their base attack and hp; mountain's low attack scale will struggle to scratch anything beyond trash mobs and enemies will just eat his face before the self-healing has enough time to do anything. i think there are a lot of cases in which i'd draft castle-3 over even a free temporary recruitment mountain.

That's exactly what I'm saying. The described use case of "Surtr behind a defender" or "Surtr holding a lane" isn't the helidrop S3, it's S2. It's something better covered by the other units I stated. They were just examples.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's a flex thing. a unit that can cover multiple roles with multiple skills based on the stage is really good in IS. reed, typhon, kal'tsit, virtuosa, and eyja are really good examples--each one of them can switch between two of boss killing/trash sweeping/elite assassinating with the touch of a button, and all of them are extremely strong picks because of it.

i'm not going to sit here and pretend that surtr s2 is as potent of an secondary skill as, i dunno, reed s2 or kal'tsit s1, but i voluntarily swap to it very frequently because i need a unit who can 1v1 tough elites for the whole duration of the stage more than i need a unit who can go super saiyan for 20 seconds, once. surtr without her s2 would unquestionably be a worse pick in IS than she is right now.

AMapleWithAName
Aug 16, 2021

DragonGJY just released their Operator Hindsight video for Virtuosa. To nobody's surprise, Wisadel is the highest rated operator coming out in the next six months.

You know the schedule's loaded when Zuo Le is the least recommended operator in it, and he's a phenomenal laneholder in his own right, from what I understand. The meta slaves will be suffering trying to get everyone.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Maintaining pokedex completion honestly isn’t too bad if your luck isn’t utterly abysmal. Getting to burn yellow certs for rolls is a big leg up. Of course, that doesn’t apply to max pot sickos, but that’s whale territory for sure.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

stabbington posted:

Maintaining pokedex completion honestly isn’t too bad if your luck isn’t utterly abysmal. Getting to burn yellow certs for rolls is a big leg up. Of course, that doesn’t apply to max pot sickos, but that’s whale territory for sure.

until you get one bad run and rip all your resources

viv's at max pot +1 and I still don't have virt

AMapleWithAName
Aug 16, 2021

Kyte posted:

until you get one bad run and rip all your resources

viv's at max pot +1 and I still don't have virt

That counts as 'abysmal luck', my friend. May RNJesus save you.

Does anyone know when Pyrolysis comes out? I want to know if I should be grinding harder to level/mastery my Virtuosa and Lin, because I hear they're both quite good for Pyrolysis and Underdawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AMapleWithAName posted:

That counts as 'abysmal luck', my friend. May RNJesus save you.

Does anyone know when Pyrolysis comes out? I want to know if I should be grinding harder to level/mastery my Virtuosa and Lin, because I hear they're both quite good for Pyrolysis and Underdawn.

On CN it came right after this event, but we also skipped the Siracusano rerun so we might get that first.