Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That’s so bad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Does anyone in Zelda even talk like that. The Deku Tree I guess? It's never really been that medieval a setting what with all the industrial stuff and robots and lazers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Those ads are unbearably cringe but also feel right on point for game marketing in the 90s when everything had to have a snarky edgelord vibe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the earliest zelda commercial i recall was a rap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4mdmeMuYo4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the earliest zelda commercial i recall was a rap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4mdmeMuYo4

I remember that one, even at the time it seemed weird for what I knew about the game.

I also remember these ones for LttP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yjfTQ009ms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q37bOLWdzg4

At least they're closer to the mark tonally, but like...where's the gameplay? :crossarms:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

God that owned so much. Still does.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They were following tradition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCqX4AEInUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjpHzLYHkwA

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Fuckin’ banger

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

What’s that last lyric? School as then, I’m the man with the plan? Lol it’s driving me nuts.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

lol Jesus. I’m glad we’ve moved past the times when everything had to have a god awful white person rap with all the attitude of a 60 year old accountant

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Three video games from before I discovered E3 live rent-free in my brain.

“72 hours. One hope.” is one. The Wind Waker commercial narrated by a girl acting as Zelda trapped in a tower is the other, but I remember it more in hindsight because Tetra was one of the best Zeldas and it was a nice surprise.

The third is the original Metroid Prime commercial with the live action Samus if anyone was curious.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Docjowles posted:

lol Jesus. I’m glad we’ve moved past the times when everything had to have a god awful white person rap with all the attitude of a 60 year old accountant

we need to go back

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Not Zelda but since we're talking about edgy 90's video game ads, I gotta drop this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bThLRwTJ7g

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Now everything has to be epic and serious. I miss the days when it was all about 'tude. Whatever.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Gears of War Mad World has a lot to answer for.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Best advert was that xbox one where a bunch of people are using finger guns and just playing around a large mall or whatever.

Now a days I try to avoid adverts and previews of games I'm looking forward to because they just spoil the poo poo out of things that would have had a big build up otherwise

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I can't imagine what the Legend of Zelda movie would actually be like. I guess we have the cartoon to go by. But the games are just a mute elf boy going on a prolonged quest of collecting things, solving puzzles, fighting goblins, etc. I really don't think it's going to translate into any decent kind of movie that isn't just a generic Lord of the Rings clone.

Then again, they made a Super Mario Bros movie and there are several other dumb examples.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I wish TotK did have DLC planned, even though signs point to none. I wanted Master Mode and Trial of the Sword...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I could see the wish for a master mode but geeze what else could you cram into that game. You end up with like 50 sidequests within the first 12 hours of gameplay and every sidequest you do you run into even more things to do.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There’s no “signs point to” about it, Aonuma and Co have stated in no uncertain terms that they have no DLC planned

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
DLC could easily work by utilizing the unique landscapes that didn't already have a fortress or something in it. The castles and the like littered about. Could also do some complete fan service and make quests relate to the Easter eggs. I mentioned before the lon lon ranch ruins could have a way to revitalize it with a malon descendant, but you could also do other things that revitalize the different ruins by finding the right materials, or helping/rescuing the right NPC, taking a picture of a specific area and showing it to an NPC etc.

Like revitalize market town and you get a mallow mart like thing that gives you quick and cheap access to the ruby instead of damage armour, or show a picture of one of the castle or fortress ruins to one of the scouts and they end up going there and in completing whatever bunch of quests in there you add QoL improvements that would be prime gameshark fodder back in the day (max durability master sword, keeping the end game master sword buff, zonite materials that don't respawn after 30 seconds, a crap ton of critters that are needed for upgraded armour that otherwise would be a slog to get).

Hell, make a Bubblefrog boss that you have to defeat to give a triforce bubblegem that does turn Kolton into a bubblefrog

You don't need to add anything to the overworld, it is already super packed as it is, you just need to utilize the areas already there and be creative in what you need to do and the rewards for doing them. You don't even need to program anything new, almost everything can be created with existing assets.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If there were to be DLC it should be about the Zonai mothership or a fleet finally coming back to see how the conquest of Hyrule is going (they lost track of time so they're a little late). You'd need to wear a space suit like that one BotW concept sketch to go up to the ships and also you'd fight Kohga on the moon.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that TotK needs DLC because there really is an overwhelming amount of stuff to do. Plus, I still do think TotK kind of feels like DLC to BotW... just... $70 worth of DLC.

On the other hand, BotW feels incomplete without the DLC which is probably why the main improvements were just included in TotK.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’ve spent like 150 hours in this game and not even come close to finishing all the quests. I mean if they made DLC I’d still buy it but TotK feels pretty drat done as it is.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

I can't imagine what the Legend of Zelda movie would actually be like. I guess we have the cartoon to go by. But the games are just a mute elf boy going on a prolonged quest of collecting things, solving puzzles, fighting goblins, etc. I really don't think it's going to translate into any decent kind of movie that isn't just a generic Lord of the Rings clone.

Then again, they made a Super Mario Bros movie and there are several other dumb examples.

I'm guessing it will give Shadow of the Colossus vibes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's going to be directed by the same guy who did Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes which just came out, which was very good. The first half of that movie could honestly be a Zelda movie with the protagonist Ape being Link.

It has climbing, an attack on home village, spiritualist tradition, journeying into the unknown, finding out about the lore of the world, horse riding, and cool combat and chase scenes.

The second half is also good but less Zelda like.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 19, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I just want TP HD and WW ports so that the switch can play all the main Zelda games. (Having to have a sub to play some of them is lame as hell but having the ability to own physical copy’s for every Zelda 3d game on switch that’s been released in the last 23 years is good enough I suppose)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

You can do it as a perfectly serviceable, if unambitious, swords-and-sorcery hero's journey plot. Princess gets kidnapped, chosen one gets a sword, journeys across the land meeting friends and foes in various cool action set pieces, vanquishes the villain and wraps things up with a nice happy ending in around 90 minutes. Basically Conan the Barbarian with less blood and titties, it's a classic formula.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I just want TP HD and WW ports so that the switch can play all the main Zelda games. (Having to have a sub to play some of them is lame as hell but having the ability to own physical copy’s for every Zelda 3d game on switch that’s been released in the last 23 years is good enough I suppose)

The “leaks” believe we’re getting a bunch of HD ports before the Switch 2 launches next year. If it’s gonna happen, we’ll probably learn at the upcoming June Nintendo Direct.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

less blood and titties

*wakes up in a cold sweat*

Son of a bitch, Link has gone WOKE!!!!!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Houle posted:

Best advert was that xbox one where a bunch of people are using finger guns and just playing around a large mall or whatever.

Now a days I try to avoid adverts and previews of games I'm looking forward to because they just spoil the poo poo out of things that would have had a big build up otherwise
The Xbox commercial was called "Bang!" and was filmed in the Constitución train station in Buenos Aires.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Basically Conan the Barbarian with less blood and titties

Or.... :thunk:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think the movie could work really well if they do like AoC and make it an actual Zelda-focused story with Link as her silent, loyal bodyguard as she searches to uncover secrets and whatnot

Which is exactly why they won’t do anything like that

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Docjowles posted:

*wakes up in a cold sweat*

Son of a bitch, Link has gone WOKE!!!!!

Link has a mohawk and is in a wheelchair

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I loved some of the old Zelda comic art where moblins were ridiculously huge and bombs looked super unwieldy and stuff. I think you gotta really emphasize that Link should be in a lot of danger and seem totally outclassed but for his courage and some assistance from divine figures; when he finds some magical artifact it needs to be a big deal. Could have some gods watching him and commenting on his progress to add video gamey humor

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I don't recall this being posted, so apologies if it has since it's a few months old. I can't believe more people aren't talking about the Zelda movie trailer. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdvRHq8Hs8

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martman posted:

I loved some of the old Zelda comic art where moblins were ridiculously huge and bombs looked super unwieldy and stuff. I think you gotta really emphasize that Link should be in a lot of danger and seem totally outclassed but for his courage and some assistance from divine figures; when he finds some magical artifact it needs to be a big deal. Could have some gods watching him and commenting on his progress to add video gamey humor

The movie absolutely must include Link bouncing a bomb off something back at himself and harmlessly blowing himself up Looney Tunes style. I would bet my house on this being a scene.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think they would have a save the princess plot. I think it has been considered regressive and sexist. Maybe it's because of the movies I watch but I don't see too many damsel in distress or woman as reward movies lately.

They likely will go the Mario route and have Zelda come along and be the magic user/exposition for Link who will be the fish out of water character/audience stand in. They just need to have something like trying to prove Ganon is actually evil and have some sort of dungeon mystery find the proof plot. Have misfortune befall gorons and such and they need to prove it was Ganon in his bid to gain power.

Then when he is caught in his own lies, go go murder pig and they have to use the item that was talked about throughout the movie on him at the last conceivable moment.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Houle posted:

I don't think they would have a save the princess plot. I think it has been considered regressive and sexist. Maybe it's because of the movies I watch but I don't see too many damsel in distress or woman as reward movies lately.

They likely will go the Mario route and have Zelda come along and be the magic user/exposition for Link who will be the fish out of water character/audience stand in. They just need to have something like trying to prove Ganon is actually evil and have some sort of dungeon mystery find the proof plot. Have misfortune befall gorons and such and they need to prove it was Ganon in his bid to gain power.

Then when he is caught in his own lies, go go murder pig and they have to use the item that was talked about throughout the movie on him at the last conceivable moment.

My earlier shitposting aside, yeah I would be shocked if Zelda is reduced to a damsel in distress in a 2020s movie. She'll be fighting alongside Link. Maybe even the actual heroine of the story. Can you imagine the reaction from the Gamergate crowd if it's a Barbie Movie retelling of the legend lol. gently caress now I want this to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She hasn't been strictly a captive in the story since A Link to the Past

Past that she is still captured at some point a lot of the time but usually right near the end