Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I'm sure you will get lots of ideas for names - you can read the Chickam2012 SA thread for names!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

piscesbobbie posted:

I'm sure you will get lots of ideas for names - you can read the Chickam2012 SA thread for names!

Thanks, I'll have a look! In the meantime here are some more pictures as everyone loves pics:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Very pretty chickens, Raikiri!

Link to Chickam 2012 thread. Velvet Sparrow took lists of names TWICE this past spring (for two egg hatches), so check the thread for suggestions.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476644

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Ha ha, someone stuck their head in a cobweb... :keke: Such cute chickies. Your big gray Cochin reminds me very much of one of my favorite hens, Skitters:

Skitters used to sit in my lap pretty much constantly, she was a Cochin/Jersey Giant/Americaunas mix. :)

I actually went through the Chickam thread and made a list of all the damned names and who suggested them, I can send it to you if you want. Fair warning, it's huge, tho.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
That would be great, thanks. I'll just make a throwaway email so I don't have to worry about spam.

Edit: raikiri101010@gmail.com

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Ha ha, someone stuck their head in a cobweb... :keke:

Haha, had a feather stuck on its face earlier and the bantam helped get it off.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 12, 2012

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

Good news from my city last night: Backyard Chicken Ordinance should be finalized in the next 30 days or so. $50 per year for 5 hens is really steep ($20 per dog every 2 years) so hopefully they'll adjust that figure downwards. The $50 figure is the same as a pigeon license.

That seems very steep. Also, how can they compare hens/chickens with pigeons? Hens will stay, for the most part, in your yard. Pigeons fly. The pigeons my uncle used to own would fly in competition! I say there should be no fee or less than the pigeon fee!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Raikiri posted:

That would be great, thanks. I'll just make a throwaway email so I don't have to worry about spam.

Edit: raikiri101010@gmail.com

Haha, had a feather stuck on its face earlier and the bantam helped get it off.

OK, list sent!

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I recently got four pair of button quail since I can't have chickens in my current living situation. They live in the bottom half of my cockatiel cage and are a riot. Their eggs are pretty yummy and I have 30 eggs in the incubator for other purposes :chef:

All 8 idiots.

Using the feeder :downs:

Dove has a dust bath.

Now everyone get in the tub.

*floof*

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Pardalis posted:

I recently got four pair of button quail since I can't have chickens in my current living situation. They live in the bottom half of my cockatiel cage and are a riot. Their eggs are pretty yummy and I have 30 eggs in the incubator for other purposes :chef:

All 8 idiots.

OMG! They're adorable! Little mini chickens! Can you take a photo of some of their eggs (with something showing the size relationship to the eggs). How many quail eggs = one large chicken egg?

Post more photos! They're really cute! Are there different breeds of button quail? They might be a good solution for people who can't legally have chickens.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I don't have a picture on hand but eggs are dime sized. Ten button eggs to one large chicken egg is the conversion. There aren't different breeds of buttons but there are lots of fancy colors besides the normals, as you can see.

I think most people keep them as just pets but the will be a fine, bony, tiny alternative since I can't have chickens. I will just have to roast them a dozen at a time.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pardalis posted:

I don't have a picture on hand but eggs are dime sized. Ten button eggs to one large chicken egg is the conversion. There aren't different breeds of buttons but there are lots of fancy colors besides the normals, as you can see.

I think most people keep them as just pets but the will be a fine, bony, tiny alternative since I can't have chickens. I will just have to roast them a dozen at a time.

Have you eaten this type of bird before? How big are they, 5 inches 10 inches long? I admire people who raise their own food.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Inveigle posted:

OMG! They're adorable! Little mini chickens! Can you take a photo of some of their eggs (with something showing the size relationship to the eggs). How many quail eggs = one large chicken egg?

Post more photos! They're really cute! Are there different breeds of button quail? They might be a good solution for people who can't legally have chickens.

Compared to quite a large chicken egg:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Oh God button quail.... I have a button quail story. :keke:

When I was a kid my dad had the brilliant idea to get an incubator and hatch a shitload of button quail--his grand, get-rich-quick scheme was to sell the adult birds and their eggs to local restaurants.

So pretty soon we had 30 button quail, all of which were psychopathic, frenetic nutjobs that would freak OUT if anyone came near, even though they'd been raised by us and saw us every damned day. We're talking full-on, screech and fling themselves about, freak outs.

Well, needless to say no one wanted the quail OR their eggs, and pretty soon the quail were reproducing like rabbits and we had a SHITLOAD of psychopathic freak-out quail. Who sat right down and got busy making MORE quail...

Dad, disappointed, ended up just giving them all to some poor dumb sucker. He never did make a dime, poor guy.

Edit: To clarify, quail is sometimes served in fancy restaurants, as are the eggs. And yeah, quail are awesome and damned cute. One good thing--it was the first time I'd seen bird eggs incubated and hatched, I was hooked! So that's where Chickam has it's roots. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 13, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I've never heard of anyone eating button quail before! I had a couple as pets when I was a kid. My first one was Kiwi..she lived in the bottom of our finch cage at the time. I adored her. :3:

They make the cutest little calls.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

When I was a kid my dad had the brilliant idea to get an incubator and hatch a shitload of button quail--his grand, get-rich-quick scheme was to sell the adult birds and their eggs to local restaurants.

LOL! Great story, VS. Somehow, I can't see local restaurants being interested in such tiny eggs or small birds they'd have to pluck in order to cook. Not very cost effective. ;)

Raikiri -- thanks for posting the photo of the button quail egg. Very interesting. Do button quail taste like Cornish game hen? or are they gamier than that?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Fancy ones would go for the eggs, they look neat!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Raikiri -- thanks for posting the photo of the button quail egg. Very interesting. Do button quail taste like Cornish game hen? or are they gamier than that?

That's actually from a Japanese quail, I don't know if they're much larger than button quail though.

I've not had a quail but the eggs are very tasty, little richer than chicken eggs but otherwise very similar.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've eaten quail in a couple of fancy restaurants. It's very good, if a little bit of a pain to work around all the tiny bones. One restaurant de-boned the bird before cooking and it was much more pleasant to eat. The meat is very dark, I would say darker than duck but with less subcutaneous fat. Really rich flavor.

Of course, they're not very much food. A whole one yielded less meat than your standard grocery store chicken breast, but given that we over-serve meat in this country it's probably just about the right amount.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Another chicken image from Reddit, this one of a Silkie who had been given one egg to hatch. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I think I need to start keeping he only broodie hen I have atm in a crate with a couple of boiled eggs. he chicks I ordered arrive next week, and I want to avoid using a heatlamp if possible.

The poblem is, the only hen that is broodie is the one who scratched my eye. She's pretty mean and aggressive when broodie and she's the head hen. I was hoping Turkey or Rusty would be broodie for this :ohdear:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I think I need to start keeping he only broodie hen I have atm in a crate with a couple of boiled eggs. he chicks I ordered arrive next week, and I want to avoid using a heatlamp if possible.

The poblem is, the only hen that is broodie is the one who scratched my eye. She's pretty mean and aggressive when broodie and she's the head hen. I was hoping Turkey or Rusty would be broodie for this :ohdear:

BTW, how's your eye, Chido?

Are you getting chicks or eggs? I guess you are going to wait for Ms. Bitchy Broody to go to sleep for the night and then slip the chicks/eggs under her? Somehow, I think that most hens will get aggressive once they have baby chicks to protect.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 14, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

My eye healed fine :D. I'm getting 4 chicks I ordered from mypetchicken.com. I guess I'll start keeping her in th crate this sunday, and see how it goes.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The egg posted above (a coturnix quail egg) is a lot larger than a button egg; they are half that size or so and have lighter speckling in a variety of colors. I fried one up over easy and it was about the size of a quarter when done. The eggs themselves have a diameter smaller than a dime. :3: They are hard to crack because they are so small and the membrane that lines the inside of the shell is so tough. There are actual "quail egg scissors" you can get just for opening them up, even.

I haven't eaten button quail before; they are tiny birds at only about four inches in length so I imagine it will be a tedious affair. I want to learn to debone them while dressing so that I can stuff them into another bird and roast it together ala turducken. Quail is supposed to be very tasty and dark; similar to duck but leaner.

I might be a monster for wanting to eat something so cute. :ohdear:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Pardalis posted:

I might be a monster for wanting to eat something so cute. :ohdear:

I would say cows, lamb, chicken they are all cute. There is nothing wrong with wanting to raise your own food. You know what they have been fed and you know they have been treated with respect.

Temple Grandin said "I think using animals for food is an ethical thing to do, but we've got to do it right. We've got to give those animals a decent life and we've got to give them a painless death. We owe the animal respect."
—Temple Grandin (quote taken from Wikipedia)

Oh, they make special scissors for those eggs, so there is a market for those!

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 15, 2012

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

My eye healed fine :D. I'm getting 4 chicks I ordered from mypetchicken.com. I guess I'll start keeping her in th crate this sunday, and see how it goes.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Glad to hear that your eye healed well.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

More pictures!

This is what happens to an Easter Egger in 40 days. She still has the dreamiest eyes.

Barred Plymouth Rocks

Welsummer

Aconda with the white Easter Egger

My goal was to have 2 of each breed, but all 4 of the Easter Eggers look so different from each other I don't think I can let any of them go. I might have to have a flock of 10.

When will I know if I have any roosters? No one is acting any different or growing any combs, except for the Acondas and a lesser extent the BPR, and all of them are growing at the same rate. Could I have lucked out and gotten all girls?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I put Dust in a big rabbit crate with a cooked egg. She's pretty mean when broody and does bite hard, but she's the only broody I have right now and I don't wanna go through the hassle of keeping chicks in my room while my mother is still here. She came to visit last week and she's leaving this Saturday. Dust'd better adopt the chicks or I'm gonna make some chicken soup this week :mad:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

... Well, it seems our house has an invisible sign that reads Wayward house for domestic poultry. The neighbors across the street have quails and one wandered from their open gate to our front yard. My BiL called me to check what bird it was, grabbed it, and went to ask around to see who it belonged to. *sigh* Those neighbors also have a couple of horses and a goat :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

... Well, it seems our house has an invisible sign that reads Wayward house for domestic poultry. The neighbors across the street have quails and one wandered from their open gate to our front yard. My BiL called me to check what bird it was, grabbed it, and went to ask around to see who it belonged to. *sigh* Those neighbors also have a couple of horses and a goat :3:

That quail is lucky that Roostroyer didn't try to sit on it. Were the chickens bothering it at all? Next time, please take a photo! :)

How many more days to cute baby chicks, Chido? :dance:

Zeta Taskforce: I wonder if your Aconda is a rooster? ;)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Inveigle posted:

That quail is lucky that Roostroyer didn't try to sit on it. Were the chickens bothering it at all? Next time, please take a photo! :)

How many more days to cute baby chicks, Chido? :dance:

Zeta Taskforce: I wonder if your Aconda is a rooster? ;)

It was on the front yard so the chickens didn't see it. My BiL took a picture with his cellphone, I'll ask him to send it to me later. I quick search showed it a picture of a brown quail, and it looked like that.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Well, you are an awesome chicken mom, so maybe the quail just wanted some pampering too.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

ZETA TASKFORCE I thought hens also have combs and wattles? Your chicks/pullets are so adorable.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

piscesbobbie posted:

ZETA TASKFORCE I thought hens also have combs and wattles? Your chicks/pullets are so adorable.

I think so. All 4 of the ancona are growing combs at the same rate and amount, I think it might be part of the breed they get combs earlier.

Chido, I cracked up hearing about wild poultry landing on your doorstep. Word must have gotten out that you are a really good chicken mom :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CHIDO you should put up a sign "HOME FOR WAYWARD HENHOES" Or perhaps all the gals hear Roostroyer's sexy call and can't help themselves and flock to your home! hee hee hee :heysexy:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

CHIDO you should put up a sign "HOME FOR WAYWARD HENHOES" Or perhaps all the gals hear Roostroyer's sexy call and can't help themselves and flock to your home! hee hee hee :heysexy:

Oh please no, there's a colony of feral peacocks that live in this neighborhood, and the last thing I need is having peahens jumping over the fence and making their call all the time :ohdear:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Oh please no, there's a colony of feral peacocks that live in this neighborhood, and the last thing I need is having peahens jumping over the fence and making their call all the time :ohdear:

Do the peahens make as much noise as the peacock males? Do they make more noise than usual during the mating season?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I don't know, but I've seen them on the roof of houses D:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Chido posted:

I don't know, but I've seen them on the roof of houses D:

They kept escaping the smaller zoo when I was a kid because the zookeepers continuously would underestimate just how high those pretty bastards can go. :allears: They wouldn't even go very far, either, just leap the fence and sit down right outside it with those tail feathers all a'spread, like "Yeah, I could leave any time I wanted :smugbird:"

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I got a call from mypetchicken a couple of hours ago (or somebody who works on tracking the orders). My chicks were sent to Denver by accident, they're flying back to LA tomorrow morning and they should hopefully be at my post office by 4 or so. I hope they are ok :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

I got a call from mypetchicken a couple of hours ago (or somebody who works on tracking the orders). My chicks were sent to Denver by accident, they're flying back to LA tomorrow morning and they should hopefully be at my post office by 4 or so. I hope they are ok :ohdear:

Were you supposed to receive the chicks today? When were they shipped from Mypetchicken? :ohdear: