Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dex builds are the easiest thing in the game if you use hanzo steel. As good as blunt is counter damage when stacked with the right stuff is obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
You can't place signs on prompt-to-open hidden doors, precisely to prevent someone covering the prompt with a message. So if there's a message right up against the wall then you can be sure there's not a door there. It might be smashable, but that's it.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Use torch, Geop :argh:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Try jumping, Geop into fan

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
It is always interesting how much more damage poison dot does in DS2. On the other bleeding dot is almost useless here.
Jfc, Geop! Buy that "Poison Mist" pyromancy! Use it on every beefy dude to melt him! :argh:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Try torch.

Try torch.

"...Nah."

:doh:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

That fan jump was really slick; I'm pretty sure I beefed it the first time I did that.

I actually ended up buying Scholar on ps4 about halfway through rewatching everything, but there's no way I could catch up to where you are and join IronSaber in doing invasion shenanigans.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

why are u guys yellin about torches

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Try Torch Geop, Geop try torch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Try jumping

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Try ... not torch?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

No no no, they're saying troches. They want you to buff up your resistances

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the one thing unchanged in scholar

of course it is

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I have hateful memories of Sunbroing around here furiously gesturing at hosts trying to get them to understand to Try Torch.

It's not a complicated mechanic, it's just completely unique in Dark Souls.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Torch but hole

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

I have hateful memories of Sunbroing around here furiously gesturing at hosts trying to get them to understand to Try Torch.
It's not a complicated mechanic, it's just completely unique in Dark Souls.
I always laughed when I and another summoned phantom were attempting to communicate "Try torch" through interpretive dance. And a light bulb finally went on in the Host's head, only for them to throw a firebomb or some pyromancy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess I'll find out what torches do here the same time Geop does (did).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

try burning but why?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kibayasu posted:

I guess I'll find out what torches do here the same time Geop does (did).

Presumably his co-commentators will tell him if he doesn't figure it out since it's a pretty important thing to do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I hope they tell him, after he's killed the boss. Because I'm a dick (although the npc summons can help a ton)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Update! Longer episode than usual!

We're about to record the next session, but I've also gotta go out of town this upcoming weekend, so it might be a couple weeks before the next video.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I see you tackled the gimmick of this area with pure brute force, almost like havelling up for 4kings. :v:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
At last, I can post this dumb thing I made back in *checks file timestamp* August 2016.

Quality world design.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Thing is Dark Souls 2 sort of ellides travel sections all the time. You can see Heidi's flaming tower in the far distance from Medulla for instance, and then then it's just a tiny aqueduct away.

Here the intent is something like

but the execution is a lot cruder in practice since the lava mountain is very obviously far away from Earthen Peak and the elevator is right in the brick room. It still didn't really bother me but they might've been better off going with hard zone transitions like Demon's Souls instead of making the zones connected but not really connected.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those poor guys trying to tell Geop the thing to do and he's looking at everything but that thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xerophyte posted:

Thing is Dark Souls 2 sort of ellides travel sections all the time. You can see Heidi's flaming tower in the far distance from Medulla for instance, and then then it's just a tiny aqueduct away.

but the execution is a lot cruder in practice since the lava mountain is very obviously far away from Earthen Peak and the elevator is right in the brick room. It still didn't really bother me but they might've been better off going with hard zone transitions like Demon's Souls instead of making the zones connected but not really connected.

Yeah, the implication is you're traveling great distances and the game is abstracting it, as that map in Majula shows.

The implementation, well...

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Personally, I'll confess that I've always been comfortable taking that transition at face value: you go in an elevator on top of a castle, you go up, you step out somewhere completely different. Sure, why shouldn't that happen? Drangleic is a land where you're knighted by noble and kingly rats; maniacal puppets guard bells on behalf of ancient princesses; severed heads talk to you about their personal philosophical insights; your opponents include lonely giants and vain, poison-bathing queens; and it's entered by falling headlong into a whirlpool down a bottomless pit and passing through limbo.
Oh, and everyone there is mad, and you're mad too, and that's why you've come there. The preceding sentence is precisely and without exaggeration the beginning of this game's story.
You are zombie Alice and you are through the (watery) looking-glass and the Chesire Cat's name is Shalquoir and sometimes you stumble upon a mysterious chest that may or may not have EATs ME written on it in bloodstains.
Or, more concisely:

Midnight Voyager posted:

those poor guys trying to tell Geop the thing to do and he's looking at everything but that thing.
With that thing on his head I'm impressed he can see anything at all really.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I was always happy to accept the geographic insanity of Earthen Keep as excised traveling, there are far more impressive examples of jankiness than that to gripe about.

DS2 is such a mixed bag, there's a number of things it does best of all the Soulsborne games and more than a few ways it exemplifies the worst.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Something that I didn't notice for maybe years: There's a mountain in the background of the Earthen Peak bonfire tile in the warp menu. It's just weirdly not visible in the map itself, but the intent seems to have been that the tower is built into the side of a mountain, and the elevator takes you to the top.

See? Mountain.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Man, that boss kicked my rear end up one street and down the other! It's pretty frustrating to see you kick everythings rear end, Geop.

Also, when dropping things for the birds you don't have to leave the menu and pick up the item after each one. You can just keep selecting leave item and you can pick up all your new stuff one by one. Really saves time when you have a bunch of the items.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Geop, have you gone and talked to the old ladies at the start lately? I think the young maid there may have something for you.

Also you never solved the mystery behind that one pyro lady who rained hell upon you from above when you were crawling in the farts. Nor what Pate was all about.

Also also spending more money with Gilligan is what cool kids do. He also would have had more to say about the green energy area and the boss lady if you had talked to him more when he was in there but alas.

Edit: there was also someone you could have summoned for the boss fight, but his sign would probably have been covered by the soup and the guy's a walking joke anyway, so don't worry about it.

Laputanmachine fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 14, 2018

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O47wvvEG50&t=10s

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Laputanmachine posted:

Geop, have you gone and talked to the old ladies at the start lately? I think the young maid there may have something for you.

Also you never solved the mystery behind that one pyro lady who rained hell upon you from above when you were crawling in the farts. Nor what Pate was all about.

Also also spending more money with Gilligan is what cool kids do. He also would have had more to say about the green energy area and the boss lady if you had talked to him more when he was in there but alas.

Edit: there was also someone you could have summoned for the boss fight, but his sign would probably have been covered by the soup and the guy's a walking joke anyway, so don't worry about it.
He can in fact almost solo the boss, where did you get the "joke" impression from?

The Claws are fun powerstanced, but not nearly as fun as Caesti. However, you can make them work uniquely by building them for bleed. I think outright Bleed infusion is not the best idea because it reduces the physical damage and that is a) nothing to sneeze at and b) bleed damage itself is honestly rather crappy, you take it as an added bonus and because it makes enemies slower. To make bleed happen more quickly, you'll need the gauntlet from the assassin guys and the blood covenant ring (I think Geop hasn't gone that way yet?).

Also, as you'll surely have found out by now, Powerstance changes the L1 and L2 actions, the R1 and R2 ones are the same. Basically you gain two extra attacks which can be really dumb or really awesome, depending on weapon combination. Some weapons even give special powerstance moves that only they can convey - for example the Warped Sword from the Flexile Sentry, which gives you a stupid-looking but extremely good spin attack. You can pair that with the Washing Pole, one of the longest weapons in the game...:getin:.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

Hell yes, I didn't notice the new thread!

I've been keeping the graph up to date, will post when I have a chance (I know you are all dying to see it) :crossarms:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

gibb3h posted:

Hell yes, I didn't notice the new thread!

I've been keeping the graph up to date, will post when I have a chance (I know you are all dying to see it) :crossarms:

Honestly, it's a thread highlight.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Simply Simon posted:

He can in fact almost solo the boss, where did you get the "joke" impression from?

I was talking in jest.

gibb3h
Jul 15, 2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

Honestly, it's a thread highlight.

:boom:

online excel seems to have ballsed it up a bit, i'll try and fix it for next time :)

edit:
That magical transformation video is a thing of beauty!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Xerophyte posted:

There's actually a mod for vanilla DS2 that changes the skybox around Earthen Peak to something like this artwork, which makes the transition a lot less jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Drakyn posted:

Personally, I'll confess that I've always been comfortable taking that transition at face value: you go in an elevator on top of a castle, you go up, you step out somewhere completely different. Sure, why shouldn't that happen? Drangleic is a land where you're knighted by noble and kingly rats; maniacal puppets guard bells on behalf of ancient princesses; severed heads talk to you about their personal philosophical insights; your opponents include lonely giants and vain, poison-bathing queens; and it's entered by falling headlong into a whirlpool down a bottomless pit and passing through limbo.
Oh, and everyone there is mad, and you're mad too, and that's why you've come there. The preceding sentence is precisely and without exaggeration the beginning of this game's story.
You are zombie Alice and you are through the (watery) looking-glass and the Chesire Cat's name is Shalquoir and sometimes you stumble upon a mysterious chest that may or may not have EATs ME written on it in bloodstains.
Or, more concisely:

With that thing on his head I'm impressed he can see anything at all really.

Dark Souls 2 is, from the get go to the very end, a brilliant take on the journey of struggling with Alzheimer's. Unironic analysis. Heck, even the humanity things are little glimpses of reminders of who you once were.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 14, 2018

• Locked thread