Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Justin_Brett posted:

They didn't actually, unless they somehow work it in just before the Labyrinth. And the fight Shun has with Ronaldo during the rescue is also important I'd say, since it provides context for where the human protagonist stands compared to the spider one.

Yeah, there's actually a decent amount of important stuff that happens in the rescue part. What a weird choice. Have they established teleport gates in the anime?

Also I'm expecting the Queen to turn out to be some sort of pivotal figure as well. They've played up her ice queen machinations and hatred towards the concubine sons too much to just yeet on out of the story as the off screen ruler of the kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Gyges posted:

Have they established teleport gates in the anime?

Nope. They haven't even established that Kumo can only teleport to places where she's already been.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maxwell Adams posted:

Nope. They haven't even established that Kumo can only teleport to places where she's already been.

Weird choices. Getting rid of the one maid who doesn't really do anything is a good choice for craming everything into the episodes. Skipping the rules of teleporting, a vital part of Kumoko's skill set and a big part of plot progressing events, is a real sketchy one.

Like, I'm fairly meh on most Shun stuff but the rescue attempt is actually good Shun stuff. Especially since Taboo is pretty important for why big picture things are happening and can easily sway people to switch sides in the meta conflict. Repeatedly looking to use Mercy is also a good character developing thing for Shun. The implication that team Demon Lord apparently has resurrection abilities after they talk about it being good Shun did it for them is also pretty important.

Unless they were just going to make some puppets.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Between the manga, anime, LN and WN I do feel like I've been consuming the same thing over and over, just with different coats of paint....

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zodack posted:

Between the manga, anime, LN and WN I do feel like I've been consuming the same thing over and over, just with different coats of paint....

I don't mind that so much, since there are variations between the versions, but my problem is that I've completely lost track of which little details were changed in which version. There's little bits from the WN that I can't recall if they've been revealed in the LN yet (and even if those bits will stay the same or not) and so on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

After Kumoku gets blasted into nothingness by the Demon Lord, the screen turns black, then she hears hooves and the sound of wheels turning. She opens her eyes to see herself surrounded by gizzled men, one of which has his mouth covered.

A man across the cart from her turns and says

You're finally awake

Gotou describing the fight against the Ogre King to Asaka and Kunihiko: You see that Ogre from the Mystic Mountains? He got curved swords. Curved. Swords.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 26, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He'll do anything for the good of humanity, even in the champaign room.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

How can someone be so bad at piecing things together after it was explicitly said the kumoko stuff was from 15 years in the past?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I have so many comments sections to show you

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have no expectation that the anime will do the reveal about why kumoko felt it necessary to burn shun's entire life to the ground for reasons completely unrelated to him well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i have no expectation that the anime will do the reveal about why kumoko felt it necessary to burn shun's entire life to the ground for reasons completely unrelated to him well.

Considering they're leaving vast swaths of important events and motivation out already, you should have absolutely no faith in anything not directly spider related. Shun's not multi-ressing, Anna isn't brainwashed, nobody's brain is fried, and Sue might actually be brainwashed. Hell, teleporting is very spider related and they still haven't even hinted at it's limitations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That's quite the plot hole and I can believe that the authors didn't catch that error.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I can't wait for the anime to show the Kumoko -> Shiraori evolution and for peoples minds to just break because it was a Westworld style two timelines plot all along.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well they've clearly established the presence of Classroom Spider now.

Human side animation continues to look pretty cheap, but it wasn't absolutely abysmal like it has been in the past.

Post credit scene gives us how Ariel sounds pretty different pre- body-brain invasion. But man it's pretty jarring going from 3d model to 2d, back to 3d in the same scene. I don't like it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 7, 2021

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well they've clearly established the presence of Classroom Spider now.

I saw one person speculate that maybe Ariel was a reincarnation 'because she hasn't been a Demon Lord for very long', and that maybe the she was the classroom spider reincarnated.

A few moments later: "It would be so stupid if Kumoko was a spider all along and just dreamed her human life, her parents and such."

lol.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, we've got 7 episodes of the anime left. Time to place some guesses of how the rest of the episodes will fit the story in! Here's my guess:

18: Humans get to the Elf village. Kumoko begins fighting mother. Episode ends with Mother getting the better of Kumoko with her own tricks.

19: Kumoko continues fighting Mother. Magic Brains 1 and 2 return and Kumoko wins. Humans meet other reincarnators in the elf village.

20: Kumoko returns to check on baby Sophia. She foils a second kidnapping attempt. Magic Brains 1 and 2 start acting suspect. Humans discover her and start worshipping her.

21: The Past-War episode. Two countries go to war over Kumoko. The Demon Lord shows up, and we get a very quick fight in which Kumoko 'dies' again. Maybe little 10-year-old Julius shows up, maybe that big gets skipped over for time. The past-war is contrasted with Shun and co gearing up for a war of their own.

22: Kumoko recuperates from 'dying' again. She evolves. This episode is mostly human-centric, as the war happens. We get the whole Hugo fight here.

23: poo poo goes bad for Shun and co. Wrath is introduced. Sophia shows up again. In the past, Kumoko returns and rescues Sophia again.

24: Fight between Kumoko and a certain elf. Shun hits Taboo level 10. Episode ends with Kumoko meeting up with the Demon Lord and the Demon Lord offering a truce.

It's cramped, but it should fit. Possibly you could switch around some events in 22 and 23 to make it flow better.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 7, 2021

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So someone in the anime thread posts this link to a video where the main VA's various roles are listed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfU6TdemDI

And right at the bottom of the list is:

「So I'm a Spider, So What?」
Shiraori <--------
(Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?)

And nobody mentioned it.

:magemage:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean, I can understand not scrolling through the whole list if you already know she voices Kumoko. Plus that name doesn't really tell you anything by itself.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm mostly sad that the part picked for Tanya wasn't the "No visas?" line.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean, I can understand not scrolling through the whole list if you already know she voices Kumoko. Plus that name doesn't really tell you anything by itself.

Yeah, as far as spoilers go, "The spider goes by Shiraori at some point." isn't really all that noteworthy. Maybe if present Ariel were to call white haired girl by that name.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Does anyone but D even know that her official name is Shiraori? I mean, there's a decent chance she told Ariel but everyone just knows her as White.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Unless White told someone else what D named her, only D and White would know her real deity name.

I don't think White has told Ariel that she is the classroom spider even, and I doubt she would have told her the name D has given her. It's not like she's terribly talkative anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
She does drink with Ariel somewhat often. Also the two appear to have lots of conversations between the lines of the story. Ariel and D are about the only people she has actual conversations with, Ariel much more. Both of them are about as close to talking to one of the parallel minds as you can get without being a parallel mind.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Bobulus posted:

So, we've got 7 episodes of the anime left. Time to place some guesses of how the rest of the episodes will fit the story in!

Probably about right, but I'm not seeing any spot for Kumoko to learn to speak isekai. Maybe she could just learn it when she defeats Mother and absorbs some of her mind.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I still don't like that Ariel turned out to just be a random strong person, but with her mind getting invaded as well now there's still a chance that all the foreshadowing of her being Kumoko wasn't a total waste. If nothing else there has to be a reason she knows about Shun's japanese identity and feels sorry for making him sad by killing Julius.

Unless it turns out she was the loving spider they showed in Shun's dream and it got isekai'd with everyone else, lmao. I think that was shown in the room before but I completely forgot about it. That would be the longbomb twist to blow everyones minds: Spider becomes Origin Spider.

Lol. So close.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol. So close.

I wonder about how many episodes it will take to get the reveal that Wakaba = D

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

logger posted:

I wonder about how many episodes it will take to get the reveal that Wakaba = D

That would be the end of LN 9 so, near the end of a second season most likely.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I love seeing speculation from new fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lBW6BTt-g&t=1103s

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I started dabbling in the web novel, starting at the Mother fight as I was told that’s when things really diverge, and maaaaaan is the fan translation at that point terrible. I got through about 20 chapters, up to 182. I will say that when people said things diverge they were not kidding. It’s like reading an story taking place in a parallel dimension from the LN.

You definitely appreciate the editing and translation work that went into the LN after reading a few chapters of the WN. drat.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The machine translated chapters are really hard to read. As someone who has only read through the WN years ago, I've been meaning to read through the LN and WN again to get an understanding of what's different.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

I started dabbling in the web novel, starting at the Mother fight as I was told that’s when things really diverge, and maaaaaan is the fan translation at that point terrible. I got through about 20 chapters, up to 182. I will say that when people said things diverge they were not kidding. It’s like reading an story taking place in a parallel dimension from the LN.

You definitely appreciate the editing and translation work that went into the LN after reading a few chapters of the WN. drat.

It's worth it. You're about to get into cool WN only stuff like panic attacks and baby eating.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't remember there being a Mother fight in the WN. Wasn't it just Kumoko walking around outside and suddenly getting a mega level-up from the mind-hacking?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, it's one of those weird parts of the WN where there's no payoff for something it set up. Like Kumoko spending almost no time as an arachne because she almost immediately becomes a god and can just take human form.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Tamba posted:

I don't remember there being a Mother fight in the WN. Wasn't it just Kumoko walking around outside and suddenly getting a mega level-up from the mind-hacking?

The parallel mind attack works, one of them takes over Mother's body and has most of Mother's personality. Kumo has a conversation with this new character one time, who decides to go back and live in the dungeon. I think that parallel mind gets re-absorbed during apotheosis. It's an anti-climactic flop leading to a new plot thread that goes nowhere. A lot of the cool stuff from volumes 4&5 doesn't happen in the WN.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, the web novel has some first draft jitters. Like the first time she encounters an anti-magic field and just... learns to copy it? So it has no effect on her anymore?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

So, we've got 7 episodes of the anime left. Time to place some guesses of how the rest of the episodes will fit the story in! Here's my guess:

18: Humans get to the Elf village. Kumoko begins fighting mother. Episode ends with Mother getting the better of Kumoko with her own tricks.

19: Kumoko continues fighting Mother. Magic Brains 1 and 2 return and Kumoko wins. Humans meet other reincarnators in the elf village.

20: Kumoko returns to check on baby Sophia. She foils a second kidnapping attempt. Magic Brains 1 and 2 start acting suspect. Humans discover her and start worshipping her.

21: The Past-War episode. Two countries go to war over Kumoko. The Demon Lord shows up, and we get a very quick fight in which Kumoko 'dies' again. Maybe little 10-year-old Julius shows up, maybe that big gets skipped over for time. The past-war is contrasted with Shun and co gearing up for a war of their own.

22: Kumoko recuperates from 'dying' again. She evolves. This episode is mostly human-centric, as the war happens. We get the whole Hugo fight here.

23: poo poo goes bad for Shun and co. Wrath is introduced. Sophia shows up again. In the past, Kumoko returns and rescues Sophia again.

24: Fight between Kumoko and a certain elf. Shun hits Taboo level 10. Episode ends with Kumoko meeting up with the Demon Lord and the Demon Lord offering a truce.

It's cramped, but it should fit. Possibly you could switch around some events in 22 and 23 to make it flow better.

Welp, I was way off. They're doing the Sariella stuff before the Mother fight. Maybe to give time for the war to build?

Weird that they seem to be glossing over Kumoko learning to speak Isekai after specifically pointing it out during the first cellphone call from D.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For someone who professes to be for world peace, while also abducting children, he seems like an awful...