Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

posting is pointless my dude

I argue it now, because liberalism is dumb.

So is communism, dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W36BQtGeDIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

If it's so dumb, why did you need them to defeat fascism? :smug:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"everything would be just fine if we completely upended the current system and implemented my chosen economic structure. literally everyone's life would get immediately better and it wouldn't at all be a chaotic and deathly transition that is not at all guaranteed to succeed." - totally intellectually honest progressives in cspam

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

communists went into Ferguson and tried to get people to commit suicide-by-cop. They are garbage individuals in the United States.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

haha yeah that was a crazy day, good memory p-kro

Squizzle posted:

i think we went boogie boarding the day before that

we had some laffs that weekend

Your strict proceduralist attitude towards resisting fascism is retarded, because it allows no point to actively resist them until well after they've already seized the organs of the state and have unilaterally changed the laws in their favor. Actually you wouldn't do anything even then, because the Reikspartei would have formulated some very well thought out and detailed policy proposals for the Final Solution.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Your strict proceduralist attitude towards resisting fascism is retarded, because it allows no point to actively resist them until well after they've already seized the organs of the state and have unilaterally changed the laws in their favor. Actually you wouldn't do anything even then, because the Reikspartei would have formulated some very well thought out and detailed policy proposals for the Final Solution.

My friend have you thought about voting

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

your inferring a lot from me saying the no nazi talk rule is dumb

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's only one kind of political action: glassing motherfuckers. If you ban that, you get nazis, guaranteed - Pener Kropoopkin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

My friend have you thought about voting

The Fascists sure did. Their preferred candidate is now the POTUS, and the GOP convention was full of blood & soil nationalism.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Fascists sure did. Their preferred candidate is now the POTUS, and the GOP convention was full of blood & soil nationalism.

This is a serious question that I would like you to answer: Have you ever written a letter to your congressperson?

I just want to know what your thought process is, do you go welp, lost the election, time to hit the streets with a roll of nickels clenched in each fist?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Nazis should be met with violence, but not state violence, or state laws restricting free speech, just good old fashioned citizen violence.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Contrary to what the media and public education teaches, ignoring bullies does not make them go away, and bad people are not Obi-Wan Kenobi and will not become more powerful after you strike them down.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is a serious question that I would like you to answer: Have you ever written a letter to your congressperson?

I just want to know what your thought process is, do you go welp, lost the election, time to hit the streets with a roll of nickels clenched in each fist?

I've never written a letter to a congressperson because they don't get read, although I have called in to badger some hapless intern so my message will actually be passed along.

What is even the point you're trying to make here? Do you think that a fascist congressman is going to care about your sternly worded letters concerning how mean they're being? You didn't even vote for them in the first place, so why should they care at all? They completely reject your values.

If fascists won an election, and seized control of the state it would absolutely be time to hit the streets.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ace of Baes posted:

Contrary to what the media and public education teaches, ignoring bullies does not make them go away, and bad people are not Obi-Wan Kenobi and will not become more powerful after you strike them down.
yeah i always thought that was loving stupid, even as a wee little lad

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

just shoot Nazis, bing bong bing so simple

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

IMO you don't have to justify free speech by saying "Uhhh if you dont let them talk they'll just multiply in secret" or w/e, having free speech in a society is a goal / virtue in and of itself

(Also we've already seen anti hate speech laws / rules on campuses applied to stuff like protests for Palestinian rights)

SpiritOfSanDimas has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Jan 14, 2017

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I would vote for wint

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

rudatron posted:

So I have a different take on this, but I need to get a few things straight first:

• Fascists are not violence demons, they are human beings, filled with blood. If you remove that blood, they will die. All political movements are vulnerable when they are small, and if suppressed enough, with violence, you can prevent fascism taking power. You're hobbling fascists by making the collective action problem harder for them to solve, that's not necessarily something they can overcome. Saying that suppressing them just means that they'll pop up somewhere else, like a hydra, does not match the actual reality of how any political movement operates.
  • Freedom of speech is not and has never been an absolute, several countries have anti-fascist iconography bans, and that's fine. Banning hate speech isn't also going to lead to the end of society, but of course it won't really end fascists existing either, they'll just resort to coded language. But having to resort to code has a cost to it, it doesn't come for free. It makes their lives harder, and that's a good thing.
  • Having said that, the more general freedom of speech is usually a good idea to protect. If you decide to make a law banning 'fascists' speech, guess who is going to decide what counts as 'fascists'? Not you, moron. You need well defined and explicit cases if you want to put reasonable limits on speech.

Okay, with that out of the way:

jarofpiss, I love you, really, you're a great guy. Here's what you don't get: people are not born violent. They try not to hurt other people, if they can avoid it, because to hurt another person is a traumatic thing. But, violence is something that people can do, and do a lot of, it they become acclimatized to it. That acclimatization takes exposure, and time. But it doesn't come for free, it has a cost associated with it. You, as a normal person, do not want to endure that cost. You, personally, are better off if you can avoid committing violence, and live a long, fulfilling & peaceful life. You're much better off using things like video games as a catharsis for aggression, and working towards your future, then you are engaging in violent political struggle.

Because you know who are acclimatized to violence? Fascists. They commit a lot of it, for a variety of reasons, which means they're usually in and out of prison like it's loving daycare. For such people, who usually have poo poo lives anyway and have already been exposed to violence, fascism offers a rationalization for their lovely behavior, and an outlet for their various psychological disorders. You don't want to be like them, and if you have to be like them, because that's what the current political situation demands, then we have much, much, much bigger problems than free speech. Talking legal minutiae at that point is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, you're much better off accepting that you'll be arrested and committing those actions anyway, than trying to make some legal argument as to why you should get a special exception or whatever.

But I suspect that you're not psychological prepared for what you're saying you want here, because unless you have served active duty in a conflict zone, or committed murder or some other equivalent crime, you do not know what it means to be violent.

i liked the part where you talked about emptying fascists of blood and i liked the part where you said you love me and i think i agree with most of this but i staunchly stand firmly by my opinion that it is a-ok to throw a brick in a nazi's face. and if young p[eople want to get their kicks by beating up some kkk members then i say go for it! for the record i am very inexperienced in both combat duty in a warzone and serial killing and murdering fascists is not a hobby i have taken up as of yet.

im not advocating for any laws suppressing speech established by this hilarious bourgeois state but i am for laws suppressing bad speech under the law of the street (liberals think this is the same thing btw).

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

my congressperson cant read lol you moron

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Did anyone ever post solid evidence that beating people down in the streets is actually a successful strategy for preventing fascist takeover? Has this ever actually happened? Personally I don't think I could find it within myself to violently beat down someone who wasn't currently or imminently planning to enact actual physical violence on somebody else, and I don't personally see that as a moral failing.

If your country's last defense against fascist takeover is citizen street violence I think maybe there are bigger societal problems at work that could be better addressed in other ways. If there are no better ways to address those bigger societal problems, then I think it stands to reason that you're already living in a fascist state and your justified citizen violence should be directed against the government in organized ways.

Like, look at this post:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:cool:

Weird how they're only inclined to beat up leftists, blacks, and natives though. Oh well.

*Nazis march in mass formation in the streets*

Seizure Meat: don't bean them with baseball bats, that's just giving them what they want!

*Nazis march into the provincial legislature and hang the governor in his own mansion*

Seizure Meat: don't shoot them, that's just giving them what they want!

*Nazi militias spread out and seize every arm of the state, they're the government now*

Seizure Meat: don't form an underground resistance, that's just giving them what they want!

Here's a simple solution. How about you don't beat them with baseball bats for just marching in the streets, but you do beat them with baseball bats when they try to march into the provincial legislature to hang the governor in his own mansion, and do the same for every level of escalation that may come after that. Seems pretty fair, no?

e: I'm also confused about whether I was supposed to be going to Trump rallies to beat people with baseball bats or not.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cnut the Great posted:

Did anyone ever post solid evidence that beating people down in the streets is actually a successful strategy for preventing fascist takeover? Has this ever actually happened? Personally I don't think I could find it within myself to violently beat down someone who wasn't currently or imminently planning to enact actual physical violence on somebody else, and I don't personally see that as a moral failing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cable_Street

quote:

Here's a simple solution. How about you don't beat them with baseball bats for just marching in the streets, but you do beat them with baseball bats when they try to march into the provincial legislature to hang the governor in his own mansion, and do the same for every level of escalation that may come after that. Seems pretty fair, no?

No.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

it's a fair assumption that nazis are currently or imminently planning to enact physical violence on somebody else so don't worry about that part

Cnut the Great posted:

If your country's last defense against fascist takeover is citizen street violence I think maybe there are bigger societal problems at work that could be better addressed in other ways. If there are no better ways to address those bigger societal problems, then I think it stands to reason that you're already living in a fascist state and your justified citizen violence should be directed against the government in organized ways.

i thought it's supposed to be the first defense against fascist takeover though?

Cnut the Great posted:

e: I'm also confused about whether I was supposed to be going to Trump rallies to beat people with baseball bats or not.

no i dont think so. just actual explicit neo nazis and fascists. we dont want to get carried away and physically hurt people just for being dumb and ugly (that makes us the same as the nazis(in theory at least)).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jarofpiss posted:

it's a fair assumption that nazis are currently or imminently planning to enact physical violence on somebody else so don't worry about that part

Is there a simple test we can do to determine who is a nazi or not?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is there a simple test we can do to determine who is a nazi or not?

yah it's pretty easy because if you can't identify them by their tattoos/uniforms/runes/nordic symbols/swastikas/etc you can always ask and they will tell you

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

jarofpiss posted:

yah it's pretty easy because if you can't identify them by their tattoos/uniforms/runes/nordic symbols/swastikas/etc you can always ask and they will tell you

Do you think that actual, self-described Nazis with swastika tattoos are a serious political threat in America?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Click this to find out the one sure fire way to suppress Nazis. LIBERALS HATE IT!!!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do you think that actual, self-described Nazis with swastika tattoos are a serious political threat in America?

not if we beat them every time they come in the sunlight trying to join the mainstream!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Making sure the KKK couldn't rally in public without getting bricked in the face would certainly

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

advocate the murder of an entire race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or political group

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

lmao we've done it! pener has become the thing he hated the whole time! masterful turning of the tables there!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jarofpiss posted:

I'm soryr, I just don't think <100 people is a problem worth overturning the bill of rights.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jarofpiss posted:

lmao we've done it! pener has become the thing he hated the whole time! masterful turning of the tables there!

Maybe one day you and peter will learn something from this.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jarofpiss posted:

the brick was banned in the latest round of the Geneva Conventions

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I'm soryr, I just don't think <100 people is a problem worth overturning the bill of rights.

you need to reread the thread if you think i'm saying that we should lobby the bourgeois state to legislate more restrictive speech laws because i think they'll be used to protect us from fascists (as opposed to specifically used against me)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

So that event singlehandedly prevented a fascist takeover of Britain? Am I missing something or is the evidence pretty scant? In fact, that Wikipedia article includes this take:

quote:

In October 2011, an article by Daniel Tilles for History Today argued that perceptions of Cable Street representing a set-back for the British Union of Fascists were mistaken:

"Contemporary records, in contrast to the romanticised recollections of those on the anti-fascist side, tell a different story. […] The demonstrators at Cable Street, and their successors in the anti-fascist movement, have understandably taken pride in their achievements that day. Yet far from signalling the beginning of the end for fascism in Britain, or even in the East End, the demonstration yielded a significant short-term boost for the BUF, and did nothing to hinder it in the longer term. True, it succeeded in demonstrating the strength of hostility to Mosley, confirming that his political ambitions would never be realised. But this had long been clear. By 1936 the BUF was a local irritant but a national irrelevance and destined to remain that way. Instead, Cable Street drew unnecessary attention and new adherents to the party. However laudable the motivation of the Jewish participants that day, the primary consequence of their actions was to make life significantly worse for their fellow Jews in the East End, with their involvement used to justify the commencement of the most intensive phase of anti-semitic activity in modern British history".[5]

Which seems to track with what many people in this thread have been saying.

quote:

No.

Why not?

jarofpiss posted:

I'm not sure if that's really true. They may want to, but that doesn't mean they're actually planning on doing it. There are many safeguards in our society, other than citizen vigilante street violence, which act to deter such things.

quote:

i thought it's supposed to be the first defense against fascist takeover though?

I think the first defense is having a healthy society and strong governmental structure with constitutional protections for minorities which all act to make such a takeover exceedingly difficult, even when a guy with ur-fascist tendencies like Trump is somehow able to be elected to the presidency.

quote:

no i dont think so. just actual explicit neo nazis and fascists. we dont want to get carried away and physically hurt people just for being dumb and ugly (that makes us the same as the nazis(in theory at least)).

I'm not sure how you draw the line. It's probably better to just not start beating on people with baseball bats unless you really, really have to. That's just my opinion though. If America turns into Nazi Germany all because I didn't go all Louisville Slugger on a bunch of sad, mouthbreathing losers I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the brick was banned in the latest round of the Geneva Conventions

beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster - kurt cobain

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jarofpiss posted:

you need to reread the thread if you think i'm saying that we should lobby the bourgeois state to legislate more restrictive speech laws because i think they'll be used to protect us from fascists (as opposed to specifically used against me)

so perhaps you should direct that energy at the fascist state that supports them

but you won't, because you're a scared pussy

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

What if they get smart and go through a big re-branding thing where instead of all that stuff they just start posting "ironic" memes of a cartoon pee-pee frog on the Internet? These are civilization-defining questions we're dealing with here.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Seizure Meat posted:

so perhaps you should direct that energy at the fascist state that supports them

but you won't, because you're a scared pussy

please dont advocate for violence against goverment officials in my thread that is only for libs and repubs to talk about why nazis are good.

also i spend plenty of energy on organizing and action and coalition building etc so please dont call me low energy either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jarofpiss posted:

please dont advocate for violence against goverment officials in my thread that is only for libs and repubs to talk about why nazis are good.

also i spend plenty of energy on organizing and action and coalition building etc so please dont call me low energy either!

organizing and the like doesn't work against fascists and you think the state supports fascists, ergo by your logic you should go smash a cop in the face

but you won't

• Locked thread