Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can't believe the mercenary betrayed us by getting more money! Is there no honor among thieves? (The answer is no.)

new page, threw up spoiler tags just in case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
KILLZONE

https://i.imgur.com/mZfawPD.mp4

AI

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Does that technically qualify as a railing kill?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'm just admiring the skill of that shot. well done me. used a submachine gun to blast off a security camera then quickly merked that ghast-cop. i really railed that section.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly I think most people watch these lp's for the playful banister more than the gameplay expertise.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i am the viewer who remembers all the jokes and gets all the references, please never change your modus operandi thank you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I see your kickflip mcnoclip and raise you a tailbone grind

https://i.imgur.com/qNeJgEs.mp4

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Remember when CJacobs made a sniper rifle in a Dead Space game and put a lightsaber underneath? Good times.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Danner, I guess it was always supposed to be "lights out" for you

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

It's lights out for Danner only when Benoit says it is, and not a moment sooner.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

After becoming the direct cause of thousands of immediate deaths, I think Danner could go for a burrito. I think that's Danner's style more than, say, a burger or doner wrap.

But we haven't seen him eat anything this entire game, and he's been going from warzone to warzone without a single break. Hopefully Blackjack can synthesize something more than the helghast standard green beans and stuffing rations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

have we ever seen anyone in a killzone eat a food?

also now i'm thinking about what other shooters show people eating. it's less of a thing if the game takes place over a short period of time, or if there's clear jumps in time between levels.

the only ones that come to mind immediately are games where food is a healing item

idk just musing about video games things

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

biosterous posted:

have we ever seen anyone in a killzone eat a food?

also now i'm thinking about what other shooters show people eating. it's less of a thing if the game takes place over a short period of time, or if there's clear jumps in time between levels.

the only ones that come to mind immediately are games where food is a healing item

idk just musing about video games things

We see the ISA remnant cooking and trying to eat the weird radiation spiders in that jungle in Killzone 3 after the time skip. Luckily Narville sends Sev out on a mission before we’re subjected to him actually eating anything.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

sb hermit posted:

lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Progress update: Because we ARE making progress! We are just spreading it out over 4 LPs.

crow, Cjakes, and I have finished recording all Shadow Fall footage (with a fourth special guest!). We have also helped crow finish Ace Combat X. ACX is now done and in the bag so Shadow Fall updates will resume in the near future. Merc still needs commentary for two more chapters but there is one more I am in the process of editing The Dead Space 3 director's cut LP has entered production though... footage is being gathered.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Hell yeah more Shadow Fall

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
sally I know crow is extremely anxious to get started on their Assault Horizon LP but please make sure they stay on task with Killzone before getting to the LP we all know they really want to do first

I believe in you!!

e: know, not now

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 30, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

sally I know crow is extremely anxious to get started on their Assault Horizon LP but please make sure they stay on task with Killzone before getting to the LP we all now they really want to do first

I believe in you!!

That's going to be the ultimate joke of the whole thing: I literally wasted over a dozen peoples' time for an entire LP that will never actually be posted because it's now three years later and inertia has just consumed it whole.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Will the Shadow Fall videos just continue, or are any going to be redone?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

White Coke posted:

Will the Shadow Fall videos just continue, or are any going to be redone?

Shadow Fall will continue right from where it left off, ie: the long elevator down to the New Helghan slums. I had considered re-recording the unreleased episodes so that SubponticatePoster would join us right from where we left off, but that meant redoing like nearly 3 hours of footage when we only had 3 hours left to record already. So she joins the commentary team in Chapter 7 and is there there for the rest of the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

That's going to be the ultimate joke of the whole thing: I literally wasted over a dozen peoples' time for an entire LP that will never actually be posted because it's now three years later and inertia has just consumed it whole.

I literally cannot remember a single word I said during the video we recorded commentary for so it's probably for the best. I'd feel real weird about that just surfacing outta nowhere. I remember the mission and that's it!

So I guess if you re-record new runs, that'd be remastering LPs of unreleased LPs, a real power move.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Killzone: Shadow Fall: Director's Cut: The LP

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Philippe posted:

Killzone: Shadow Fall: Director's Cut: The LP

The HD remake.

Maybe I'll finally make a sequel to the shotgun video. v:v:v

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW22eiozRPY

im so hungry

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How years has it been since the original play through anyway?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

turn on that webcam so that we can see and hear that sweet sweet helghast ration mukbang ASMR

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Back Hack posted:

How years has it been since the original play through anyway?

of which game? merc?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Also, it's happening, folks! Shadow Fall's most recent update just went live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3847469&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post516733011

Plus, we've fully recorded audio for Mercenary. I'm editing audio for Chapter 8 tonight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Also, it's happening, folks! Shadow Fall's most recent update just went live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3847469&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post516733011

Plus, we've fully recorded audio for Mercenary. I'm editing audio for Chapter 8 tonight.

The update I promised to write and then dropped the LP cold :eng101:

The next update coming up after this is where we strike new content at long last and we finish the three year long elevator ride.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sally posted:

:f5:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sally posted:

of which game? merc?

Shadowfall, because it's all the same legacy at this point.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, i'll let crow field that one. literal years

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Back Hack posted:

Shadowfall, because it's all the same legacy at this point.

Shadow Fall fell apart because of numerous upheavals in mine, Sally and CJakes' lives. We didn't have any time together to record any more commentary beyond a certain point and I had decided that I wasn't going to continue the LP until I had everything 100% recorded and edited right to the end credits. This was compounded by the general funk I had fallen into between 2018 and 2020 where I lost the drive to do anything LP related, partly due to the stress of being a mod at the time and other factors weighing on my mind.

With 2021 rolling around, I had decided enough was enough and I was going to finish everything left on my plate: Shadow Fall, Ace Combat X and Ace Combat 7. X is basically done now, bonus material not withstanding, and I'm going to now power through Shadow Fall before starting and finishing 7 because I want to wrap things up with 7.

Suffice to say, the train is back in motion now and it's not going to stop for basically anything short of me being unable to post anything anymore.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Glad everything worked out, you guys are always a fun watch.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it feels good to be back!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
new video is on my channel if anyone wants a sneak peek... i planned to have the post up tonight but it's taking longer than i though. gotta go to sleep.

official post will go up sometime tomorrow!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alright, we're back! Things looked pretty lovely last update what with Grey and Benoit getting all "betray and kill Danner" on us. Let's see what our new employer is like:

Oh...

As I mention in the video, this is a nice little "greatest hits" of our past exploits. Everything we've done so far has just pissed off Kratek.

But at least he needs Savic so he isn't going to off us just yet. Admiral Grey has returned to the Vektan embassy with him to try and get to location of the virus from him. There's a blink and you'll miss it dossier thing on the screen so I capped it for your viewing enjoyment:

It gives some background on Grey's career, some of it stuff I've already mentioned in earlier updates. I do enjoy the third factoid here: "DENIED COVERT BIOWEAPONS PROGRAM". So basically Grey was trying to become the ISA's version of Kratek. Ha. Of course.

Of course, letting her get her hands on the virus is bad because she'd use it to wipe out Helghan. But not just destroy the planet like with the terracide, but exterminate all Helghast. The deathtoll actually reaches 29 million in the game, but here's where I snapped the shot--as an aside.

So back to the embassy we go! Which I'm fine with. It was my favourite mission so far, and honestly, this one is pretty drat fun too. No Boris to keep things lively, but there are some fun bits throughout. We're going to go through the building in reverse order in what I like to think of Mercenary as doing a little "Halo moment". The bit of the embassy by that portrait of Savic is where we started in the earlier mission. That's the dock where Benoit dropped us off by boat. From there we fought through the front door and made our way to the other end.

This time we're going to be air dropped on the roof on the opposite end. From there we'll make our way back to the riverside. It's a nice bit of backtracking. And thanks to how Guerrilla Cambridge has set it up, there's little true backtracking. Like in Halo, the level has been modified enough that it feels like a wholly new experience.

Also the flyby gives us a nice quick reminder. Here's the front door... where we started in, what was it, Mission 4?

Here's the roof above that courtyard where we saw a Helghast troop carrier smash through the skylight... and where Boris died:

And here... well, here's out exit. Totally new part of the building. The roof. Getting off with Remus Squad:

As you might recall from the video, it doesn't end well for Remus. The ISA mines and turret emplacements make short work of them. You can make them last a bit longer with a JMR, but whatever. They aren't much help and anything they kill means you get less cash for your merc exploits. It literally pays to let your allies get killed.

Killzone.

One through the initial defense and sniper rooftop and minefield, we get the closest thing this game has to a whole cast meet-up:

And that's including Kratek's portrait on the screen.

Really all this scene serves to tell us is that we're not going to get to fight Benoit or Grey just yet... and Justus still needs to be saved. That aside, we can focus on Savic. But before we get to him we have to wipe out the ISA in between. Which is when we get to this room...

There he is, folks.

:rip: to a real one :smith:

Boris...

Sorry I didn't get a better picture. I forgot to linger when recording the footage, but I assure you that's him. What other heavy would the Helghast take the time to crucify on the walls of a Vektan embassy?

I want to also point out in case it was missed, but to get to the sideroom where Savic is held we have to go through the room where we first met Justus and Boris... the one where we found Sepp and Valeria Harkin dead. It's a neat bit of symmetry that the game has us return to the same general area to rescue our targets. Only we're not taking Savic back with us. Kratek only wants his information.

He wisely reminds Danner to mute his cell phone. Which as we learned from the briefing, this information is the only thing keeping Kratek from cutting us loose at the earliest opportunity.

And just an aside on the three "outcomes" of Savic. Two of them net you trophies: letting him live and executing him AFTER getting the code. If you kill Savic before he gives you the information, there's no trophy. Just that end state I showed off.

And before we move along to the end, because frankly there isn't much more to this level... it's a blast to play from a gameplay perspective, though! I just really appreciate how this courtyard setpiece was set up both here and in the first embassy mission. Again, the first time through we fought for the ISA and were helping Boris get Justus out of dodge. The Helghast stormed in by dropping a flying APC through the skylights, and dumping troops and rockets on us. The ISA, meanwhile, have all hidden waiting to ambush us. You can spot them if you're careful, as I demonstrated. Otherwise, they'll try to surprise you when you get close.

CJacobs sums it up nicely. It's a great way to show off the two sides differing approaches. The Helghast are direct. Blunt and more straightforward. The ISA are indirect. Their methods are more subdued... perhaps more clever. Or sneaky, if you want a more sinister word. I also like the touch of the ISA JMR. So if you've gone through without detonating their mines it's kind of strange that this area suddenly doesn't have any... until you notice their own JMR blocking your radar.

Treacherous ISA...

Anyways, the mission ends with us busting out of the front doors and fighting off wave after wave of ISA forces, mechs included. They are made short of with VAN-GUARDS and we literally kick down the door to escape:

It's too bad Danner's boot wasn't a brutal melee option.

The level ends with a somewhat heroic shot of the victorious Helghast forces, the camera momentarily lingering. A success, sure, but hard not to feel like our new friends are just waiting for an excuse to off us.

So it goes being a merc.

Okay, let's talk Brutal Melee for a second... yes, we've done this before. Yes, you've seen me do dozens in this video. But man, doing it to the ISA? There's something more visceral to it compared to the Helghast! Maybe it's because they betrayed Danner and he's pissed? I mean take a look at the detail put into offing this ISA Sniper:

Dude doesn't even know what's about to hit him...

The knife goes into his skull while he's still cloaked. We get to see the knife when it is lodged in his head.

And it's not until Danner twists his wrist that the cloaking shorts.

Jesus, dude!

and nice watch... is that a Nixon? That'd be one helluva call back to Killzone 1's in-game real-world cross-over advertising.

Exo Field Assessment

"Good specs on these ISA Exos. They've had them under wraps for a while now. Is impressive piece of kit..."
—Blackjack

Just some fluff on the EXO. If you find the intel before meeting them, then it gives you an idea of what to expect when facing it. Also note the "USE EXPLOSIVE, DUMMY!" hint in there.

quote:

ISA WEAPONS RESEARCH UNIT
FIELD ASSESSMENT - MKII ARMORED EXOSKELETON

The Mark II Exo-Skeleton is a heavy-duty exoframe currently undergoing field trials on Helghan.

The unit is extremely robust yet relatively maneuverable. thanks to a combination of titanium armor shielding and strong but lightweight joint actuators.

The Exo delivers significant firepower from its primary and secondary front-facing weapons, a missile launcher system and chain gun featuring rapid reload and independent fire. However, its offensive capability stems as much from its ability to advance through the combat zone, with its pilot near-impervious from attack inside an armored bridge.

The unit's maneuverability derives from its articulated servomotor-controlled feet. with rear thrusters providing additional stability. This allows the Exo to navigate uneven terrain and withstand concussive attack. A high capacity on-board power source and storage for ammunition and supplies ensure the pilot can operate independently for extended periods.

These characteristics make the Exo an ideal asset for front line combat scenarios, as well as defensive duties at key installations.

However, the unit remains vulnerable to some forms of attack. High explosive and armor piercing rounds can penetrate the shielding (tougher steel-sheathed uranium was ruled out due to excessive weight). Though maneuverable for its size, its front mounted weapons can be outflanked by fast moving targets, exposing it to attack from the rear.

As a result, the Exo is not recommended for use against heavy artillery, and is best deployed alongside conventional ground forces.

Weapons Research Unit, ISA Central Services

Interrogation Protocols

"Hm. Grey isn't so squeamish about torture these days. Maybe she take leaf out of Kratek's book. Or bullet to the head change her mind."
—Blackjack

Ha, this intel's for you, CJacobs! Blackjack is just echoing what you've been saying about Grey this whole time.

Also I like the oblique reference to the playing card deck experience thing that Mercenary has going on. Which, you know, I guess I should talk about a bit. I don't really want to because it has literally nothing to do with the game, but hey, it's there and it's been popping up.

So, the Valor Card system is just a multiplayer experience tack on. That's it. Kill enemies in certain ways and earn a random Valor Card. Get an entire suit and get a cash bonus and it resets. Famous Killzone characters are on the various face cards, like Templar and Danner and Jammer, etc. The four suits can be swapped by using these sorts of weapons:
  • Diamonds: Sub-Machine Guns
  • Clubs: Assault Rifles and LMGs
  • Hearts: Any Secondary Weapons
  • Spades: Sniper Rifles
If you peep the HUD you can see which suit I'm locked into based on what I've been using. For this mission I bounce back and forth between clubs and spades.

Of note, Grey's card deck does NOT match the Valor Card system, as several ISA heroes are included on Danner's decks. Perhaps this is reflective of there being a Helghast deck too and Danner has mixed the two? Hmm...

quote:

BRIEFING TO ALL FIELD OPERATIVES
CENTRAL COMMAND, ISA INTELLIGENCE

A forward command center has now been established at the Vektan Embassy. All senior prisoners are to be conveyed there for initial interrogation.

Operatives have been issued with a deck of playing cards illustrating those personnel in the Helghast regime most wanted for questioning. These include:

- Military commanders of rank Colonel and above
- Senior political figures and members of High Command
- Scientific researchers and weapons manufacturers

Officers of lower rank should be brought in for interrogation if operational circumstances suggest they may hold valuable intelligence.

Interrogations should be considered time-critical, but must balance the need to preserve valuable assets. While international conventions on the treatment of prisoners can be ignored, a medic should be present at all times.

Helghast military are notoriously resistant to conventional interrogation techniques. Due to high levels of motivation and fear of reprisals. Neuropathic pain-inducing drugs are recommended.

Civilians are more susceptible to physical pain including beating, electrocution and water boarding. They also respond to threats to family members, especially if these can be corroborated.

Detailed methodologies can be found in the Operatives Field Guide.

Based on the results of interrogation, Intelligence will determine whether prisoners should be extracted to the fleet or terminated.

NOTE: A number of research and production facilities have already been raided and prisoners taken, in Pyrrhus and further afield. A list of these and other key targets can be found in report #56780. In addition, possible evac routes from the city should be kept under 24-hour watch.

Report 5678D

"So, now is ISA's turn to go after Hig weapons research. Trouble is, sooner or later someone will be crazy enough to USE this poo poo."
—Blackjack

So this is a neat bit of lore. It links up a bunch of Killzone 2 and Liberation plot points and lets Blackjack joke about what will eventually happen: namely the nuking of Pyrrhus City. Evelyn Batton gets named dropped as does Sevchenko's sortie into Tharsis Refinery. Though of hilarious note here: The ISA Intelligence Report lists Sevchenko as squad commander, and NOT Rico Velasquez, the actually commanding officer and squad leader. Freudian slip on Guerrilla's part or done on purpose? It reminds of the comment made back when we did Killzone 2 (excuse my memory, it was either CJacobs or JamieTheD who said it). In the finale where Sevchenko and Velasquez square off against Visari, if you were to ask a random stranger to watch the scene and identify who the commanding officer was, they'd immediately say it was Sevchenko. Similarly, if you showed them the scene where Sevchenko and Velasquez attempted to save Batton, Natko, and Garza, they'd immediately say it was Sevchenko. Rico Velasquez, despite being in charge, does not act like a leader. But I mean, if you've been watching these LPs, then you know this.

Just a fun nod.

Oh, and the Stahl Arms main RSD facility mentioned here is Stahl Arms Deep South, the snow/jetpack level from Killzone 3 where you Alpha Squad had to go to rescue Narville. Thus Mercenary even has Killzone 3 references!

quote:

ISA INTELLIGENCE REPORT - #56780
HELGHAST RESEARCH 8 PRODUCTION
FACILITIES

A number of key Helghast facilities identified by Intelligence prior to the invasion have now been seized or destroyed by our ground forces. In addition, fresh intelligence emerging in the field has allowed us to identify further targets.

Industrial facilities secured include the HQ of Corinthmetall, primary supplier to the Helghast military both directly and, through contracts with Stahl Arms, indirectly. A number of Stahl Arms warehouses have also been raided, and blueprints and prototypes taken for analysis.

The Institute of Science and Technology is under ISA lockdown. Documents have been seized and personnel removed for questioning from the Depts. of Mechanical and Natural Engineering, which were responsible for the development of Petrusite as an energy source and its military applications.

Professor Evelyn Batton's identification of this previously-unknown element as the fuel for Helghast Arc weaponry focused attention on the Petrusite-rich wastelands south of Pyrrhus. Penetrating the Tharsis refinery, a unit under the command of Sergeant T. Sevchenko discovered a map of the Petrusite distribution system, a grid of subterranean pipelines linked to Pyrrhus.

Efforts continue to find a way to destroy the Petrusite grid. Evidence taken from the Institute's Dept. of Weapons Research points to other key targets, whereabouts as yet unknown:

— Stahl Arms Corp's main RSD center, where experimental weapons are developed. Documents suggest its location is top secret, possibly in remote northern region of Helghan.

— Facility X01. Appears to be the primary research facility for the regime's biological weapons program, under direct control of Colonel Kratek. Comms intercepts suggest the facility may in fact be mobile, presently somewhere outside Pyrrhus.

NOTE: Intelligence is also still actively seeking the whereabouts of the nuclear devices stolen from Rayhoven.

Eyes Only - Cmd. Benoit

"Grey is a crazy woman, but this Benoit - he shaft you big time, Danner. If I were you, I'd save a bullet for this one."
—Blackjack

And :siren: holy poo poo :siren: get a load of this bit of intel! This stage of the game is where the really fascinating stuff comes to light. Right here we get to see just how badly Benoit hosed us over. See, it wasn't even Admiral Grey that wanted to off us. Not her idea by any means. It was Benoit's plan all along. He lied to Grey, telling her Danner intended to hand off Savic to the Helghast so he could justify killing us off so that he didn't have to pay us any of his sweet cash money bonuses.

That prick!

quote:

TOP SECRET - EYES ONLY

TO: COMMANDER ANDERS BENOIT

Commander Benoit,

I understand that you have dealt with our problem. I thank you again for drawing it to my attention.

I'm aware that every man has his price, but I still find it shocking that Danner was preparing to hand Doctor Savic to the Helghast at the rendezvous point, knowing what he did about the possible consequences to ISA troops alongside whom he had fought for many months.

I understand that loyalty is not your main motivation, but it must have been hard to acknowledge betrayal by one of your own men. Still, the matter now lies buried in the ruins of the refinery. We'll allow its destruction to be Danner's epitaph.

His removal has the advantage of minimizing the number of people who know about Savic's research. I would prefer that its existence did not come to the attention of ISA High Command just yet. Your continued discretion in this matter is appreciated. It is also part of our agreement.

Per this agreement, the first installment of the additional 3,000,000 Vektan Dollars you requested has been delivered. As discussed, payment is in the form of precious minerals seized from the Helghast reserves, so the transaction is completely untraceable.

Further payments will follow when you have successfully interrogated Doctor Savic, and discovered where the virus itself is being stored.

As you previously noted, handled correctly this Savic matter could bring the war to a swift and satisfactory conclusion. Satisfactory for both of us, and very profitable for you.

—Grey

Interrogation Transcript

"Now we know why Grey was so keen to stop Kratek getting hold of Ambassador's son. Was NOT maternal instinct..."
—Blackjack

This is just a summary of the interrogation torture of Dr. Savic. Presumably Grey suspected that Justus was being used as a pawn. The bullet to the head may of turned her into a genocidal megalomaniac, but she's not an idiot. I do appreciate the ISA duty officer making that "note" on the bottom there. Grey's shady dealings won't go unknown by ISA high command, so perhaps justice will be done for her war crimes one day.

In fact, I have reason to believe this information may have been passed off to ISA High Command... as you'll see in the following bit of intel.

quote:

TOP SECRET - RECORD OF
INTERROGATION
SUBJECT: DOCTOR MANDOR SAVIC

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Interrogator: Commander Anders Benoit
Present: Admiral Alex Grey; Duty Officer

Subject was initially uncooperative. Questioned Admiral Grey's motives and insisted that he would tell her nothing unless she was going to 'prevent Armageddon' by developing an inoculation under his direction.

Became more responsive following physical intervention by Commander Benoit. Confirmed that he developed a bioweapon based on a virus taken from ISA research labs (codename Project Eschaton). Claimed that this virus was already lethal, but his research made it far more infectious and transmissible, greatly increasing its threat as a weapon. Asserted that he did all this under duress, and in the belief that the weapon was intended only for deterrence.

Subject was pressed for detail on the 'trigger' he had promised to deliver in return for political asylum.

Subject confirmed that he inserted a plasmid trigger site in the RNA code of the virus; without this trigger, the virus is non-contagious. When he learned Colonel Kratek was preparing to deploy the virus in an attack against Vekta, subject stole the plasmid trigger and took refuge at the Embassy.

When the Embassy came under attack, subject panicked and injected the plasmid into the Ambassador's son. Believed the child had the best chance of leaving the Embassy alive, and that way the plasmid might still escape Kratek's clutches even if the subject was captured.

Subject was then pressed on the location of secret research laboratory where the virus is stored (Facility claimed repeatedly that he was unable to give this information as the facility is mobile, constantly changing its location for security purposes).

However, under duress from Commander Benoit, subject divulged the approximate area in which the facility was likely to be operating. When its location was confirmed by satellite imagery, Commander Benoit concluded the interrogation.

NOTE: Contrary to standard procedures, Admiral Grey has taken the full transcript of this interrogation including technical data on the virus and the plasmid trigger, declining to enter them into the Intelligence Log.

—Duty Officer, Military Intelligence,
Vektan Embassy

Orders To Desist

"There are plenty good reasons to take down Visari, put the Higs on a leash. But you ask me, Grey isn't interested in any of them."
—Blackjack

Here it is. Someone on the ISA had enough of a conscience to whistle blow on Admiral Grey. Good on'em. Though as she's on the front line and High Command are presumably back on Vekta, there's not much they can do about it. Still, this is an official slap on the wrist. But will Grey listen to orders and let Narville do his thing?

Ha, don't count on it.

quote:

ORDERS TO ADMIRAL ALEX GREY

FROM ISA HIGH COMMAND

Admiral,

High Command appreciates the role you have played in overcoming the Helghast defenses and facilitating the fleet's attack on Pyrrhus. A commendation is already under consideration.

However, matters have come to our attention which lead us to believe you may be exceeding the limits of your command.

We have received reports of covert operations carried out by mercenary forces on your orders. Yet we have not been informed by you of the objectives or outcomes of any such operations. An officer of your experience will know that this is not recognized procedure.

Furthermore, while bombing runs against the Pyrrhus refinery were sanctioned, sabotage resulting in reactor meltdown, at considerable collateral damage, was not.

It is the belief of High Command that your judgement has become clouded by your personal antipathy to Colonel Kratek. While this is understandable, it cannot continue.

Effective immediately, you are to desist from any special operations that have not been approved by this office. You are also ordered to suspend ground operations from your command center at the Vektan Embassy and return to the fleet at the earliest opportunity.

While you are the ranking officer, front line ground operations are under the command of Captain Narville. You should restore your attention to the Navy, which you have served with such distinction to date.

— Chief of Staff, High Command

VC11 Launcher

Cost: 8250V

The VC11 fires air-burst shells, designed to clear entrenched enemy positions. When firing, ensure there is sufficient overhead clearance.

The VC11's existence makes the grenade launcher obsolete. This is much easier to aim and trigger. Rain down explosive hell on your enemies! For all the possible fun you can have with this gun, it's still mostly made redundant by the VAN-Guard techs. Again, I suppose that if you aren't going to take a VAN-Guard that blows things up fast, then this would make a solid complement for taking down Helghast defensive positions. Still more of a curiosity than a truly effective weapon.

Carapace

Cost: 9000V

Protective shield that absorbs damage from virtually any ballistic weapon for a short period of time. Deactivates when returning fire.

This is a great VAN-Guard to have when running full close-combat with submachines and knives--or it WOULD be if the Porcupine didn't exist. I lean towards being offensive is the best defense.

It works pretty well for what is intended, as it will block ALL incoming ballistic fire. Like the cloaking device, it drops when you fire back though. Like most all Blackjack tech, limited battery, so keep that in mind. This is Benoit's VAN-Guard of choice.

The ISA

Man, I've been waiting a while to post this one. We're fighting the ISA! It's not just a multiplayer thing anymore! But it definitely does the thing of just including the multiplayer classes as the enemy types:
  • ISA Soldier - ISA troops aren't much different threatwise than standard Helghoons. They have the ISA Assault Rifle, but considering how ammo works in this game it's a nonpoint.
  • ISA Sniper - Ahh, I see, so that's where the sniper cloaking device went. Helghast snipers lost it to the ISA. Not too much different than the Helghast Sniper otherwise. They also have foolish lasersights on their guns, so it isn't too hard to follow the laser back to the shooter. Also, the cloak distorts the space around it so if you look carefully you can sorta make out the soldier. The VULTUR negates their cloaking tech if you do find them to be challenging. Fun fact: the ISA snipers are wearing ghillie suits. Dunno why they need'em in an urban setting, but hey, we should all be well familiar with incompetency in the Killzone universe no matter which side we're on.
  • ISA Officer - The mean mugging troops in berets and face paint are the ISA officers. Torture them just as you would the Helghast officers to collect that intel, you horrible monster.

The biggest difference is they fight in the field alongside these:

The LS209 Exoskeleton. It's the same thing we saw in Killzone 3. Big ol'mech exo suit. Takes a lot of small arms to take down, so if you haven't been experimenting with explosive weapons or VAN-GUARDS, you're gonna have a bad time. (I said much the same of the Helghast Drones, but it fits here too). Really, Mercenary gives you such a big arsenal it's practically begging you to experiment with different ways to blow these up.

It took me a while to realize that Danner's VAN-GUARD system is just a smart phone on a wrist holder. Welp.

Also, here's some concept art for the VC11 Launcher:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
thread got real quiet when we started killin' ISA :goofy:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not much to say other than: They had it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m amazed it too this long. Not for us to start killing ISA troops, but for people to stop giving a poo poo about us and anything we post.