Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

Ray... pauses for a moment. The confident and calm demeanor on his face softens, and he takes a deep breath before - surprising himself a bit - reaching out and patting the guy's shoulder.

"Buddy... you may have dodged a pretty big bullet."

A brief moment is shared. Ray does his best not to recoil from the act of, for the second time today, physically comforting someone, and then returns directly back to form, like a light switch flicked from on to off and back again.

"Anyway, hey, look at the time," he says quickly as he retracts his hand, not actually looking at any fashion of time-tracking device.

"I should get back with my colleague - listen, part of our outreach initiative was to let people know that the app is having some issues here in your area, so since you don't have an account already maybe give it a week or two before signing up. And always be wary of anybody who wants to meet you alone, at night, in a dark place, or wearing a spotlight. But otherwise, just remember - if you want to slide in their DMs, make sure to check out Slidr! Take care!"

Unless the man has anything else to add past that point Ray turns his attention to the direction where he left Leo and Sally, making sure they haven't disappeared anywhere, and begins working his way back toward them as swiftly as possible.

Will give Ray a pause here to let the conversation between Sally and Leo play out a bit in his absence

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Leo (part 2)

You pause at the last insinuation, trying to quickly think of an answer, as you notice the two of you have been mechanically walking towards the end of the bridge.

Suddenly, a man bumps onto you. You are keeping all your attention on Sally, and are halfway to mumbling an automatic apology when your sixth sense alerts you of something being very wrong. Your hand shoots to your front pocket, finding it suddenly very... light.

You turn around instinctively and are confronted by a wide smile, stuck to the face of a man who looks like he'd steal a horse from under you and then sell it to you back. He makes no attempt to conceal the wallet he's holding a few feet from your face.

"Lost something?" he says. "Leo, old friend, what a chance meeting!"

You recognize the tall, bony guy in front of you instantly, of course. His name is Carl and he's a good old sleazeball - one that'd roll with your Carnival for a good while, mostly profiting on tales and sleight of hand, before leaving in a hurry once he'd made too many known enemies. He used to claim to be an elf, half-fae, quarter-native and who knows how many other things. You've never found how much truth there was on his stories, but you suspect there's about as much of it as there are legs on a clam.

"I heard you left the Carnival" he smiles at you, still taunting your wallet on your face. For some reason, he's got a bright green mohawk now, and has sharpened his canines into resembing fangs. "Bet there is a fascinating story right there!"

Realizing something, you turn around again. No sign of Sally. Of course.

To Ray

You are carefully keeping up with Leo and Sally when you notice the exchange between the two. Thinking fast, you try to turn around to block the man's path - but that means you lose, for a second, sight of the woman. When they finally move off your line of vision, she is nowhere to be found.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 4, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
To Simon

You mumble a "good girl" of reassurance to Miu as Yuko walks you off, Chris having disappeared somewhere or other. Once in the walkway, you do notice a familiar man sitting on a bench by the street. As you walk towards your colleague, you also notice the big, orange cat sitting by his legs, and wonder what are the chances this house has two very similar cats around. Not many, you reason, Neko doesn't look like he enjoys competition. A stray thought you'd never thought would make sense also crosses by your mind. "Can cats read?"

Shellception fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 4, 2024

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Leo

Leo looks around hoping to see Sally but of course, she's nowhere to be seen. "Goddammit..." Leo mutters. "I needed more information from that woman."

"What the gently caress are you doing here anyway?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Leo (and Ray)

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Is that how you greet an old friend? Can't a man go anywhere now?" he retorts back, without losing his smile. "Dammit, good old Leo. Always all... business with you. You haven't changed a bit"

He makes a theatrical gesture with his hand, still keeping your wallet out of your reach.

"I wonder what our old friends at the Carnival would say of our... little rendez-vous. You did tell them goodbye, right?"

To Ray

You are close enough that you can hear the man's words now, not that they make any sense to you anyway. Your brain is tugging at you to notice something else - there is the faintest hint of a burning sulphur smell in the air...

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Shellception posted:

To Maeby

Your purchase secure in your pocket, you hang around downtown for a bit, no hurry at all - these things take time. You take said time to roll up one for yourself and chill. You've definitely earned it today.

As you pass by a small park downtown, you spot the woman you were looking for. Well, almost - she is walking a dog and wearing a leather jacket that makes her look like a very sweet retired Hell's Angels old lady. But who are you to judge? You approach her carefully and try to seal a deal with a wink and a nudge.

Like before, you can try to convince her to sell to you (no roll) or force your hand (roll Charm).

Maeby

Seeing her chance, Maeby takes a already rolled cigarette and gets it ignited before moving into position as casually as she can act.

"Oh my God" she remarks with an exaggerated vocal fry to denote excitement, "You look so badass." She blows a hearty cloud and watches the old lady's face for interest in sharing. "I bet Gen Z doesn't know how to party half as well as you," she quips. A drug deal means dispensing social currency as much as legal tender.

Maeby does her best to charm her way into a drug deal to get some Blood of the Mountain.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

As Ray gets closer to Leo and his friend(?) an acrid and familiar scent catches his attention. Ray does not pause, he outright halts in mid stride, face first alarmed and then scrunched into a quizzical expression.

"Sulfur," he thinks to himself. "Sulfur bad."

"Sulfur real bad."

Investigate a Mystery: You guys smell that?: 2d6+2 8

Still in his frozen position Ray sniffs at the air, doing his best to figure out where the scent may be coming from and if whatever produced it is still there.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Maeby

The lady nods at you, clearly touched by your remark and also your offer of sharing. You both smoke for a bit in complete harmony, sitting on the grass as the dog chills by your side, contemplating the universe and all it involves and not giving a rat's rear end about any bystanders looking at you. She ends up cutting you a pretty good deal - good for her, you reflect in retrospect, as she definitely charged you more than you'd have paid for back home. But it's clearly a podunk town, and prices probably are higher here.

You both finish your communion with nature with a handshake and a small vial of a sanguine red liquid changing hands. She gets up, gives you a reassuring smile and a pat in the shoulder, and goes off into the sunset with her dog following her trail.

You've gained a vial of Blood of the Mountain, and some deeper understanding of the Universe and all it entrails, but you aren't sure you'll remember it later. You also feel real good.
Where to, now? If you want to meet with Ray and Leo, just say so; otherwise, tell me where to go/what to do.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Ray

Your senses get into high alert mode as the sulphur smell enters your nose. The stranger doesn't seem to have noticed you, but you are sure that if you get any closer, he will. So you keep your distance and discretely circle them around, passing them by and then getting by Leo's side, trying to get a better sense of...

You blink a bit, and decide to throw caution to the wind and approach them a bit more. You take your phone out of your pocket and simulate being very interested on texting - it seems to work, as the stranger pays you no attention. Your nose confirms what you were thinking. Though the smell is almost unperceptible now, it seems to be very close - as if it'd come from... Leo?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

Ray frowns again. "Sulfur is bad.... but those are questions I can ask later," he thinks, quietly doing what he can to remain both inconspicuous and close by. He positions the new stranger between Leo and himself, just in case, but otherwise hangs back, remains quiet, and watches the conversation play out.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Leo

"Sorry about the outburst, I don't appreciate being distracted from my work. I'm not sure why you're so concerned with MY status in The Show but yes, I left on good terms a couple years ago...felt like hanging up the silk scarves and doing something a bit more meaningful."

He sees Ray has walked up but is hanging back, looking perturbed.

Feeling a bit more in control of himself Leo presses, "so what brings you to this neck of the woods? There was a murder here, you wouldn't know anything about that would you? I'll also take my wallet back."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Leo

Carl waves your wallet in front of your nose as he speaks, as if taunting you.

"Tsk. No scourned lovers chasing you? Maybe a child or two of unknown... parentage? Mysteriously disappearing ticket money? A magic pact gone horribly wrong? Nothing?"

The look in your eyes could probably have vaporized a lesser man, but you get the impression he feeds on the attention.

"Man. You always were such a boring square"

With a floriture, he throws your wallet back, making you swerve to catch it in the air.

"Killings were never my jam" he retorts, still smiling from side to side. "Messy. Too many questions, not enough profit"

He pauses and makes a grandilocuent gesture, as if addressing an invisible audience... or maybe Ray?

"But Leo, old friend, you know me. I am a real sucker for a good show"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Simon

Sauntering up to his colleague and the cat, Simon slows his pace and waves. What brings you here? he signs at Hendrick before crouching down to address Neko.

Staring curiously at the fiery-furred feline, Simon fishes for the piece of paper he'd torn from the notebook, and a random stub of a pencil conveniently kept in his pocket (where he definitely doesn't remember putting it). As if naturally assuming that Neko would understand, he writes a message and holds it up, ignoring Hendrick's perplexion.

Simon posted:

They're a nice family. Have you always lived with them?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Leo

To Carl Leo says "I'll be sure to let you know next time I do a performance, but don't hold your breath. Now I've gotta find that lady that took off. Was nice catching up..."

Leo turns to Ray, "should we wait for Maeby, go meet up with the others or try to find out where Sally went? I feel like she's hiding something."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon (and Hendrick)

The cat looks at you as if you had interrupted something. You notice he's sitting with his tails around the legs, keeping the crucial detail concealed.

"Mrrow" he says, quite unconvincingly, and paws a couple times at the paper. You stare at him, and he stares back. You get the impression such an old cat has some experience in the matter.

He seems to bobble his head around a bit, then paws at the ground, leaving two parallel trails. A II shape.

"Humans?" you hear a very low growl, and the cat tips his head in Hendrick's direction. "Smell like blood"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Leo and Ray

Carl's smile seems to widen even more, if that's possible.

"Sure. Your show. Of course" he smirks. "Hope you will... enjoy it. See you around, I am sure"

He makes a very complicated, showy bow and takes off, stopping to walk for a bit on the edge of the bridge, to the surprise of the bystanders. Good riddance, you think, nothing lost.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

Ray's eyes track Carl as he saunters away, a thin-lined frown on the edges of his lips. "Your 'friend' there seems like a real annoyance," he says to Leo as they draw closer together, an extra thick dollop of sarcasm on the word 'friend'.

Doing his best to put the odd encounter out of his mind, Ray whips out his phone and sends a message to the group chat.

"We might have a lead - everybody else good? Did we ever find Simon??"

The phone slips back into the pocket of his jeans, a slight breeze forcing him to reach up and tuck his brown leather hat tighter onto his head. Phone gone, he turns his attention to Leo.

"Right now I'm thinking we go over to Sally's address and scope the place out. I'm assuming somebody found Simon, and I'm willing to bet Maeby is getting along fine on her own - Sally, though, feels like our only real lead so far. You got closer to her than I did, but I think we both can agree that something isn't right there."

"But... speaking of not right," he says, deftly switching conversational gears. "Is there a particular reason I'm getting a whiff of sulfur off of you? Because if not, we may both want to be concerned. And if so...? Well, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know why I shouldn't be concerned."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Current stage: Sunset // Next Stage: Wednesday 15th May, 3 pm US Central/10 pm EU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Ray

Ray's eyes track Carl as he saunters away, a thin-lined frown on the edges of his lips. "Your 'friend' there seems like a real annoyance," he says to Leo as they draw closer together, an extra thick dollop of sarcasm on the word 'friend'.

Doing his best to put the odd encounter out of his mind, Ray whips out his phone and sends a message to the group chat.

"We might have a lead - everybody else good? Did we ever find Simon??"

The phone slips back into the pocket of his jeans, a slight breeze forcing him to reach up and tuck his brown leather hat tighter onto his head. Phone gone, he turns his attention to Leo.

"Right now I'm thinking we go over to Sally's address and scope the place out. I'm assuming somebody found Simon, and I'm willing to bet Maeby is getting along fine on her own - Sally, though, feels like our only real lead so far. You got closer to her than I did, but I think we both can agree that something isn't right there."

"But... speaking of not right," he says, deftly switching conversational gears. "Is there a particular reason I'm getting a whiff of sulfur off of you? Because if not, we may both want to be concerned. And if so...? Well, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know why I shouldn't be concerned."

Maeby

Aglow from the success of her mission, Maeby is of the rare mood where she is eager to respond to a work related text rather than nervous. She lifts her phone up and takes a selfie with her bounty held up in one hand, sends it to the group chat with the caption

quote:

scored!!!!
* to the tune of smoke on the water*
blooooood of the mountain dah nah nah, nah nah nah naaaaah
also idk about simon. see you guys soon.

And with that she sits up, and walks to meet up with Leo and Ray at a lackadaisical pace

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Maeby

You make your way back to the group in a great mood and with your bounty secured inside your pocket. They don't actually have gone too far from where they first were when you left, though when you finally reach them, they seem to be having a serious conversation.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 9, 2024

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Maeby

"Heeeeey guys! I-" the scent catches her mid-sentence, and she takes two quick whiffs. "Kind of smells like when I tried to make kombucha. Also, you both look kind of...peeved. Did something happen?"

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Leo

"Just an old...unwelcome "friend" showing up out of the blue. He's a dick, obviously, and I seriously doubt he just randomly showed up here. Maybe I can question him later and see what's really going on."

He shrugs when both Ray and Maeby mention the sulfur smell. "There must be an open sewer manhole nearby or something, I didn't even notice... Are you sure you two aren't part bloodhound?" Leo says with a smirk.

"Let's head to that address we were given and see if Sally is home, I feel like she might know something more that she's not telling us."

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

"Yeah.... sure," he says in response to the sewer maintenance remark, with a tone and matching expression that says he is absolutely not 'sure', but still willing to drop it nonetheless.

Ray carries on. "Anyway, yeah, we've got the address; right now I'm still waiting to hear from Hendrick and, fingers crossed, Simon, but I don't see any reason not to go ahead and at a minimum scope the place out."

"The Datenshi Hime is parked right over there -" he uses his thumb to indicate the giant purple waifu van only a short walk away, in case anyone was needing to be made aware of it's presence. "So unless anyone has an aversion to taking a ride...?"

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 9, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Ray, Leo and Maeby

You all get aboard the shiny van, though for some reason neither Leo nor Maeby find it as eyecatchy as when they first saw it. Sure, there is still an anime lady on the side, and that alone should be enough, but for you right now the gaudy painting resembles more of an old friend than anything else. Funny how minds work. Then both cram on the front seat, while Ray takes the wheel once again, his hat slightly inclined over his eyes as if to provide a bit of shade against the midday sun.

The trip is short enough, even with the small drive around you need to do to find a non-pedestrian bridge. To your mild surprise, the house in question seems to be split onto a block of four small apartments, two in the first floor and two in the second floor - something the local friendly policeman neglected to mention, of course. It looks relatively new and clean, though the ones in here clearly aren't luxury homes; the whole place seems budget-made, and it doesn't look like anyone around cares about yardwork. Two doors by the center, side to side, give access to the lower apartments, and a set of stairs on each side goes onto the upper floor veranda, where you can see another set of two doors.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 9, 2024

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

Ray parks the van and, peering out of the windshield, frowns - something he's been doing a lot of today. He takes a long drag from his mango raspberry flavored vape and exhales through the window, a thick cloud quickly dissipating on the breeze.

He takes in the overall scene. Something in the back of his brain decides that he doesn't like it.

"I don't like it," he says to both Leo and Maeby, idly tapping the butt of his vape against the van's windowsill. "The whole place is too clean and too messy at the same time. And multiple domiciles...? We don't know how many 'things' we're dealing with here - this could be a whole nest."

Ray pulls his hand - and vape - back inside, to take another substantial drag; he speaks with a slight choke to his voice. "I'm recommending we do a light, quick scout - if anything at all - and then wait until we can regroup with everybody else before we decide our next move." He exhales again, another giant white puff evaporating into the air outside, before looking at the others sitting next to him.

"Any thoughts?"

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 9, 2024

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Hendrick

You don't feel particularly good, you notice, and you idly wonder if it's the blood loss, the lack of sleep... or something else. Your mind feels clouded, reality looking less real and more like a fever dream, but you are also pretty sure you don't have a fever. You are also pretty sure someone talked to you - but who they were, or what the words said, you definitely didn't register. There doesn't seem to be anyone else close by. Or maybe there is someone, but they shouldn't be talking. You know that, but you don't know how you know that. It doesn't make sense, but nothing does.

In the midst of the clouds filling your brain right now, a particular detail repeats over and over. Light dots. Darkness.

Taking over.

You squirm. No. You won't let it happen. You can't.

Instinctively, your mind falls back on what it does better - patterns. The image changes, back to something familiar. Now there are fewer dots, but they're brighter, and closer. Data. Something familiar, something you keep going back at, as if the unresolvedness of it was bothering you on a fundamental level.

Liam, a baby, kidnapped.
His mom's spirit, knocked off her body.
A window too small for a human.
Mud. Rain.

There is a connection - you can feel it, it's there, so close you can almost touch it - and still evasive.

Shiny dice roll: Investigate a mystery (2d6+2) = 12 - Can ask any two questions off the GM.

Small window of time for anyone to submit one or two questions to be answered, otherwise I'll answer something from the standard sheet!

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Blinking at Neko, Simon stares blankly for a moment before it registers that the cat has "spoken". Or at least, he's made himself understandable. Trying as efficiently as possible to save space on the paper, Simon writes a hasty explanation.

Simon posted:

Something attacked Hendrick last night. Know about the recent incident?

He nods at his colleague, who appears to be deep in thought, or else in another of his dialogues with the universe.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon

"Human blood" the cat half answers, half purrs. "Prrrey for the hunt"

You have the feeling that he's looking at you expectantly, like an ancient god demanding tribute. Or a common housecat wondering where your lunch is, maybe.

As you are pondering how to better appraise the obvious deity in front of you, you feel a small tug on your arm and turn around to look at Hendrick. He still looks like he's lost in thought, in that meditative state that always manages to creep you out a bit, but he seems to be half conscious, at least.

Universe's question 1 posted:

What kind of creature?

"A demon. A rain demon" you hear him articulate, to your chagrin. That doesn't help much, but you wait patiently as he comes down to reality. He blinks for a bit, and seems to be a bit more down to Earth now.

"Ame Onna" he says, and you arch an eyebrow. This isn't the first gratuitous Japanese you've heard today. "A monster who steals children who cry in rainy nights". You grab your pencil again, but he stops you - seems like there is a bit more to say.

Universe's question 2 posted:

Where would the kidnapper's favorite place to hide a stolen baby be?

"... it spirits them away" Hendrick continues, a hint of sadness on his voice. "But if we can find the demon, we might find the child. They only appear when it rains. A dark, wet hiding place? By the riverside, maybe? Are there caverns there?"

In the silence that follows (how are you to know that?) you notice the totally not a demon by your feet looking at both of you with what you can only assume is a smirk.

"Smarrrt human. Smart prrrey" he says, in no particular order, before looking straight at the both of you with a more innocent face. "Mrrow? Food?"

You can roll Charm here or try to gain his approval on any way you can think of.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Ray

"I'm recommending we do a light, quick scout - if anything at all - and then wait until we can regroup with everybody else before we decide our next move."

"Any thoughts?"

Leo

"I'm not opposed but I also feel comfortable knocking on some doors...there are 3 of us if Sally decides she wants to throw hands, or worse."

"It's not like we're an inconspicuous group so I'd be surprised she doesn't already know we're here, question is is she?"

"So, who wants to go knock on some doors with me?"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Ray, Leo and Maeby

As you stand outside the apartment block, at a prudential distance, you hear a very loud screeching sound, followed by a scream that seems to end very abruptly. In the distance, you can hear dogs start barking, and a couple bystanders stop to look, but no other noises come out. You are pretty sure it came from the inside of the house, but can't pinpoint the exact place from so far back.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Simon

Simon's eyes dart back and forth pensively between Hendrick and Neko. A rain demon? He's trying hard to come up with a plan, but he feels like he might want a bit more information from the smirking cat.

He doesn't have much on him, considering all he's accomplished this morning was climbing a tree in his pyjamas and running out shoeless (oops) on a spontaneous breakfast excursion. But he can improvise!

A tweet of intrigue from his familiar lends him the inspiration he needs. Turning to Hendrick, Simon motions at his pocket, where a mostly ordinary pen is tucked neatly in place. Mostly ordinary. With an apologetic look, Simon plucks it from his colleague and fiddles with it to see if his suspicions are correct.

Roll on Charm, 2d6, Result: 8

Bingo! As Simon rotates the pen, he finds a little button to the side of the clip and taps it, aiming the pen strategically in front of his feet. A bright red dot appears to dance around as he waves the newfound laser pointer. Miu, hilariously enough, appears just as fascinated as the yokai surely is.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Simon (and Hendrick)

The cat stares at the laser pointer, then at you again. He doesn't seem amused.

You shake the light around a bit, holding down Miu with your free hand so she doesn't give in to the temptation. Neko stares at you even harder. You get the sensation that he'd arch an eyebrow if he had any to do so.

Then, in a flash of red, the big cat pounces over the dot. You see him be confused for a second, then revolve over himself as you point it to the opposite side, leaving claw marks on the dirt ground.

"Make... stop" you hear a low growl, and also a low giggle that seems to be coming from Hendrick. "Stop"

You don't listen to him. He definitely needs the exercise.

"Said" the cat whines, in a higher tone, still jumping up and down. "stop... Stop! ... win"

Now it's your turn to arch an eyebrow, as you turn off the pointer but keep it very visible.

"Hu... man" Neko wheezes as he tries to catch his breath. He's definitely an old cat alright. "Prrrrey. You all prrrey. Prrrrey for the hunt"

He looks back to the house, and you follow his gaze. It's as peaceful as it was a second ago. Neko, for some reason, lowers his voice to a whisper.

"Stay home. Go home. Tell no one"

You hear a small creaking sound and turn your back to the home. An old man dressed in a kimono has opened the door. He doesn't say a thing, but Neko jumps in the air, hisses loudly at you and runs back to the house. The man lets him in, looks at you both, smiles widely and closes the door after the cat.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

Before departing the Datenshi Hime, Ray made the rest of the squad pause for a moment outside, claiming he needed to "grab some specialist equipment" first. It didn't take long before Ray emerged from the interior of the van looking mostly the same as usual, save for the sword now strapped to his ample waist.

The sword in question was not a katana. An attempt to call it a katana would, under usual circumstances, end with a (well-meaning/natured) lecture about the history of Japanese sword types, complete with a digression into the various schools of swordsmithing, the ways Japanese swords are mounted, and several other topics almost no one ever cared to hear about.

So, despite it's initial appearance, this was NOT a katana. This was a tachi blade, cherry wood lacquer saya in the dark, glossy red of pooled blood, small embellishments of mother of pearl dotted near the koiguchi. It was long, with a steep, killing curve, and something about Ray seemed almost more comfortable with it tied to his side.

He found his hand resting on it as screams cried out from within the apartment building - before being suddenly, sharply silenced.

"Ok, we need to start moving," he says solemnly, peering out toward the apartments to see if he can gain any clues as to which one might be their target before blindly rushing in.

Investigate a Mystery: Looking for signs of life (or death, as the case may be): 2d6+2 5
Going to burn a Luck point to make this a 12.

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 16, 2024

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Leo

Hearing the screech from inside the building Leo grabs his crowbar and tries to deduce which apartment it may have been as he runs inside:

Read a bad situation:
https://orokos.com/roll/1010818: 2d6 4

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Ray

You approach the house cautiously, though you can't hear any more sounds coming out of it. Still holding onto your blade's handle, as if it was a protective charm, you peek though the blinders of the nearest of the apartments, the one in the lower left side.

The window is open, and a wave of the foulest death stench you've ever smelled hits you right in the face. You audibly gag and recoil, signalling to the others to not get close, but manage to compose yourself with just a couple coughs. Clarly, if there is someone in there, they are not in a position to scream anymore. Wrong place.

You take a step back to grasp some clean air while still examining the house carefully, and notice that while the other three seem to be inhabited, with some windows open and curtains flailing in the air, the top right apartment's blinders are fully down. You can't see a single shred of light inside, either. Empty? Or...?

You point that out to Leo and Maeby, but before you can warn them to take it easy, Leo has shuffled up the stairs, crowbar in hand. Just a few seconds later, you hear him screaming.

To Leo

The scream has set you in edge, and you dart off upstairs as soon as Ray points to a door. You pry it down with your crowbar and all your might - then you hear a chain snapping, and half walk half bumble inside as the door gives out, letting a ray of light inside the apartment.

A blood-freezing shriek fills the air as you walk in. There is a heap on the floor, but your eyes still aren't used to the dark. You blink, crowbar carefully held by your face, trying to find the source of the scream.

The next thing you feel is the slightest touch of a piece of cloth. You revolve, but too late - the back of your neck burns in excruciating pain, as if someone had taken a hot iron to it. You scream and try to defend yourself, but your crowbar hits empty air as the attacker slides away. You can't reach down right now, but your neck feels like it's on fire, and you can feel blood dripping down your back and onto the floor.

And so, apparently, can the monster.

2 harm. Roll Act under Pressure.
As a note, anyone close can move in and Help Out Leo in this fight, giving him a +1 to this roll, though it's not the only thing that can be done here.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Leo

Leo launches himself away from the monster and spins around to see what he's dealing with. As he's doing that he stabs at the monster with his crowbar, aiming for the chest.

"I could use a little help here!" Leo screams.

Act Under Pressure + Pay it Backward: 3d6+1 17 (6, 6, 4 - keep the two sixes)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Maerlyn posted:

Leo

"I could use a little help here!" Leo screams.

Act Under Pressure + Pay it Backward: 3d6+1 17 (6, 6, 4 - keep the two sixes)

Maeby

Maeby's acute empath senses inform her that Leo must be in trouble. That or the screams. She swings her Jansport backpack offer her shoulders to rummage through it (the zipper already undone, clearly for quick access) and pulls out a long chain covered in a glossy patina,bwith one end wrapped around a sawed off portion of a baseball bat driven through with nails. This awkward looking implement, which she discovered in the garage after the long delirious night of her initiation, was christened Artemis. Who knows what it would have been called had she been listening to Harry Potter on audiobook instead of Percy Jackson.

''I'm coming Leo!" she shouts as she wraps Artemis around her right hand and pulls it into a taut line with the left. She charges the stairs whilst emitting an Amazonian scream and braces to clothesline the mysterious attacker and interpose between it and Leo.

Maeby is here to kick some rear end, and falls one point short of perfect rear end kicking. This is the power of religion.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

To Leo

The monster takes a second swipe at you, but this time, you're ready. You roll on the floor away, then get up with a jump, and aim the crowbar at its chest. It connects with a sick cracking noise, and you see it stop dead in the air. You can't see it very well in the dark, but your eyes are used to it enough to see that it's a giant, flowing figure that seems mostly composed of cloth.

Then, a valkyrie like scream makes you turn your head towards the door, and you see Maeby jumping on top of it.

To Maeby

gently caress. YES.

With an agility that'd have surprised all your gym teachers, you jump over Leo, madly swinging your chain in the air and ignoring the claws trying to pierce your neck. You feel it wrapping around... something in middair, and dragging it to the ground in frount of you, screeching madly. It desperately tries to pull away, but for a moment, it's down. You can't see it very well, but you know one thing: it must die.

You also notice the blood stink in the air - some is coming from Leo, and some is... not. You turn your head for a second to the heap on the ground. Is that... a person?

To Ray

You see Maeby dart upstairs past you and do your best to follow her, wheezing a bit as you rush up. But your head isn't here right now, for some reason. It's actually far away, in both a geographical and a chronological sense.

Ray's Past Case (MSRR's writeup) posted:

From the Case Files of Dark GreyHawk, #0012: The Dream Artist.

Ray found himself in Santa Rosa, New Mexico, where a variety of odd and seemingly supernatural phenomena were occurring of an almost... budget variety. Eye witness reports claimed that everything from mummies to Draculas (in both the generic and plural sense) to little green men were roaming the streets and desert roads at night - figures that, when described, almost seemed generic in both appearance and attitude.

A local artist, a woman by the name of Olivia Martinez, had recently found a pendant at the bottom of the local nature attraction - The Blue Hole, a small lake popular as a tourist attraction for swimmers and scuba divers alike.

Thinking nothing of it she took the pendant home and carried on with her life, working diligently on her surrealistic gag-a-day web comic about classic movie monsters living in modern day Portland. She did not realize that mystical energies from the necklace were giving her creations real form - and though no violent incidents had yet been reported, it was entirely possible that real, lethal harm could be done.

Ray, eventually, put a stop to the manifestations by destroying the pendant; the monsters seemingly disappeared alongside it. Though Ray did note, stopping at a local diner before leaving town, the chef serving waffles and hashbrowns - new, according to fellow waitresses - seemed a bit thin, and gaunt. Friendly fellow, very chatty; lots of quick, quippy dialog, though a bit demure toward Ray when they spoke.

Through their conversation Ray ultimately decided that it - and any others that might have been left behind - weren't to blame for their situations, and seemed as though they just wanted to try to lead as normal a life as they could. He opted to leave them alone, though with a warning that if he had to return, he would gladly finish what he started.

You feel a light coming on inside your head as you get upstairs, commited to getting at least a modicum of breath back before joining the party inside. There's clearly no need for your help right now, it's been almost thirty second without pain screams.

The gears on your head start turning. Bloodsuckers. Ghosts. A missing baby. Whatever nonsense about a boy and a yokai and a rain demon or whatever you saw in the group chat earlier - you make a mental note to reread it with more attention.

One weird happening, sure. Two, even. Maybe the bloodsucker ate the kid. But all at once? Nope. Something else is going on.

That screeching thing, you reflect as you pull your t-shirt down and get your coat into a more decent shape, is not the illness. It's just the symptom. Find the root, and the whole tree will come tumbling down.

It's not one of your proudest metaphors, but it works, you think to yourself as you methodically tilt your hat over your eyes, ready your weapon, and make a dramatic entrance through the door.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 16, 2024

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Ray

If Ray had the time, he would be pinching the brow of his nose right about now, grumbling quietly to himself and taking a deep, cleansing breath. He, instead, swiftly takes the mental note - again - that some lessons on subtlty and tactics might do this particular group of hunters some good.

And it is at that moment that... something... starts to dance around the edge of Ray's awareness - something about all of this beginning to feel 'off' in a way both brand new and yet slightly familiar at the same time.

Between that half-revelation and still finding himself reeling a bit from the overall stench, Ray's thoughts are clouded for a moment - a crucial moment that sees him left behind the others, needing to shake his head clear of the new found mental fog before following behind Maeby as quickly as he can.

Ray thinks about drawing his blade, he really does. The reach, the cutting power, the sheer coolness factor of busting into a monster den with over two and a half feet of silver-laced Tsunetsugu steel in hand - all very appealing. But between the potential close quarters, the unknown factor of Leo's current condition, and Maeby's.... very unique choice in weaponry, Ray decides otherwise. Ray instead reaches into the other side of his trench coat.

The door flings open again behind Maeby. There stands Ray, long coat, fedora, neckbeard, and all other bits and bobs exactly as to be expected.

But the sawed-off shotgun? That was new.

Ray points the two shortened barrels at the downed... thing in front of them, and shouts.

"GET CLEAR!"

Kick Some rear end: This is Ray's Boomstick: 2d6+1 12

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Current stage: Nightfall // Last Stage: Wednesday 30th May, 3 pm US Central/10 pm EU [Endgame]