Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone threw on some Bob Marley and the Wailers today at work and I commented on how strange and fascinating I find the reggae drum patterns that see the kickdrum land on the 2 and almost entirely absent from the downbeat. As a lifelong groove drummer (read: someone who can't really play to sheet music) it's something that's mostly eluded me but I find it fascinating nonetheless. Can anyone speak to the history of this kind of rhythm?

As well, I was surprised to learn that the Wailers' drummer used a pretty standard snare; a 14"x5.5" Ludwig 402 IIRC. Would have sworn it was some kind of piccolo snare or even something like the 13"x6" Dixon I've got (which was sold to me as a 'reggae/jungle' snare and does have that almost timbale quality to it that some other reggae snares have, almost a metal kit PING to it if the snares are slacked enough). I'm curious about how they were able to get it sounding so tight and dry and arguably small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Reggae tends to be slower and syncopated, the snare on beat 3 just seems to help define the music. Sort of like the ride cymbal patters in Jazz. Reggae is younger than Rock by about 10-15 years so it may also have been done that way just to be different.

There's a few YT videos on the snare sound. I'm not sure about the recording you heard (live or studio), but a two ply head cranked really tight would give a higher, punchier sound. Reggae drummers use the rim quite a bit so you it could also be a combo on snare/rim shot. I figure a regular snare is easier to find and in live situation would project more than a piccolo. At least in the early 80s which was when Marley recorded.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Howdy all,

Am looking to get back into drums again after a long hiatus, and for various reasons I'm sure we're all familiar with, it'll need to be an electric kit.

The guitarist I mostly do stuff with has a TD17VK, so we're sorted for practice and recording with that - but he lives about 45 mins drive away and I can only really get out there once or twice a month tops. I'd like to be able to practice and potentially track at home.

In terms of what I'd be looking for:
- Mesh snare ideally, but rubber toms are fine to begin with... might also be nice to add additional mesh toms later
- I have a MIDI > USB interface so great onboard patches or USB Midi is not a hard requirement
- Expandability isn't a major issue - I'll probably grab a double kick pedal around the same time, as I can take it with me and use it on the guitarist's kit, and I don't really need more than hats, 2 cymbals, 3 toms.

I'm budget-limited, so was looking mostly at the second hand market, around the $500-700 AUD mark (so about $250-400 US).

The TD3, TD6, occasionally TD9 and a few varieties of DTX Explorer typically show up within this price range, but I know both of these are fairly old now (and the DTXs don't usually have a mesh snare at this price range).
- Are there any pitfalls with these older models to avoid?
- Would I be better off trying to find a more recent kit by Alesis at a similar price point (with the bonus of more mesh heads) vs the older Roland/Yamaha options?
- Is there a cheeky upgrade path (e.g buying a cheaper Alesis/TD-1 and swapping in a new brain to get newer/better heads etc)?

Cheers all.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 6, 2024

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4V2kKYhCQ

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Played out last night and got an interesting compliment from a drunk woman who apparently hates drums: "you didn't even sound obnoxious or anything"

....thanks? ish?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Howdy all,

Am looking to get back into drums again after a long hiatus, and for various reasons I'm sure we're all familiar with, it'll need to be an electric kit.

The guitarist I mostly do stuff with has a TD17VK, so we're sorted for practice and recording with that - but he lives about 45 mins drive away and I can only really get out there once or twice a month tops. I'd like to be able to practice and potentially track at home.

In terms of what I'd be looking for:
- Mesh snare ideally, but rubber toms are fine to begin with... might also be nice to add additional mesh toms later
- I have a MIDI > USB interface so great onboard patches or USB Midi is not a hard requirement
- Expandability isn't a major issue - I'll probably grab a double kick pedal around the same time, as I can take it with me and use it on the guitarist's kit, and I don't really need more than hats, 2 cymbals, 3 toms.

I'm budget-limited, so was looking mostly at the second hand market, around the $500-700 AUD mark (so about $250-400 US).

The TD3, TD6, occasionally TD9 and a few varieties of DTX Explorer typically show up within this price range, but I know both of these are fairly old now (and the DTXs don't usually have a mesh snare at this price range).
- Are there any pitfalls with these older models to avoid?
- Would I be better off trying to find a more recent kit by Alesis at a similar price point (with the bonus of more mesh heads) vs the older Roland/Yamaha options?
- Is there a cheeky upgrade path (e.g buying a cheaper Alesis/TD-1 and swapping in a new brain to get newer/better heads etc)?

Cheers all.

There's a lot of options for new, cheap all-mesh kits these days for that price range. It's not going to be anywhere near as good or solid as a TD-17 but if you just want some cheap drums, the options are a lot better now than they used to be. The pitfalls are they are not as reliable as Rolands or Yamaha but they get you in the door to mesh drums at a fraction of the cost.

The older Roland Kits are reliable but sound dated, lots of machine-gunning and the like. I'd probably just recommend getting a new kit these days at the price point you're at.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

Played out last night and got an interesting compliment from a drunk woman who apparently hates drums: "you didn't even sound obnoxious or anything"

....thanks? ish?

I've had the same type of compliment and also "when I saw the drum set I was skeptical" which seemed an odd thing to say at a jazz recital.

AndrewP posted:

There's a lot of options for new, cheap all-mesh kits these days for that price range. It's not going to be anywhere near as good or solid as a TD-17 but if you just want some cheap drums, the options are a lot better now than they used to be. The pitfalls are they are not as reliable as Rolands or Yamaha but they get you in the door to mesh drums at a fraction of the cost.

The older Roland Kits are reliable but sound dated, lots of machine-gunning and the like. I'd probably just recommend getting a new kit these days at the price point you're at.

Have a look at Donner https://us.donnermusic.com/collections/electronic-drums

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Plus side, if you go with donner you can invite your friends over for a little concert and call it a Donner Party.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I've actually decided "gently caress it" and plan to pick up a new TD-7 when my tax return comes in.

Costs about the same as a decent guitar/bass and I like how compact it is. Probably grab the DMK model as the kick pad on the TD-17 I play on tends to wander about a bit.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So no Donner Party??

:(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sweet drum cam of Cavs tearing poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDn2E-XZAXk

e: lol they got age restricted because of the title: motor spirits mikey drum cam fuckin rippin this poo poo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

So no Donner Party??

:(

I'm pretty iffy about playing something sight-unseen, and there's also the issue that there's not a lot of folks who typically bother to review Donner stuff, and whether or not you'd trust the opinion of those who did.

It was an issue for cheaper non-name-brand guitar/bass gear for a long time, as trusted reviewers would typically stick to the name brand stuff they got thrown at them, and the only people reviewing the stuff out of china were bedroom youtubers - though that's improved recently.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Going Roland is never a bad option.

At this point I would probably only buy Roland, Yamaha, or maybe an established drum brand breaking into the scene like DW or Pearl.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This looks amazing, and it's a good thing I just had to drop $17k on HVAC or I'd be sorely tempted to do something dumb. Wish it were possible to add those cymbals to a Roland kit.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We have one of those Zildjian kits set up at my work. I've been meaning to try it; a friend who has says that the cymbals are by far the best he's ever felt on an electric kit but they still leave something to be desired.

I was thinking about something the other day: Has anyone ever made a pedal-actuated mute for cymbals? I was thinking about how a lot of breakbeats used in Drum & Bass music are pitched up so the cymbals sound really small and attacky, especially rides, and wondered whether that sort of thing can be approximated in a live kit with some sort of rubber or felt mute underneath the ride cymbal that you can apply a range of pressure to like you would with a hi-hat pedal to get different timbres/amount of sustain.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

One fear I have is that kits and equipment won't be as interchangeable as they are now. He calls out in the in the video that the cymbals use an algorithm, so a 16" won't perform the same as an 18".

The use of RJ-45 cables is interesting and it makes me wonder if you could work with that raw data somehow to really do some funky stuff.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You can already buy low volume cymbals + triggers on Ali express that probably work with a Roland kit. They won't be as good as the zildjians, but it's only a matter of time before Alesis, Roland and Yamaha get on board, surely.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I bought a 7-inch djembe recently to jam with friends. I've been practicing Stick Control with a tone pad so I can translate most of the stuff back to the djembe, but I lack some authentic fun rhythms to chill to. The stuff I could find on YouTube is mostly very very rudimentary stuff.

Where should I look for some fun djembe stuff?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

nm

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Helluva posted:

I bought a 7-inch djembe recently to jam with friends. I've been practicing Stick Control with a tone pad so I can translate most of the stuff back to the djembe, but I lack some authentic fun rhythms to chill to. The stuff I could find on YouTube is mostly very very rudimentary stuff.

Where should I look for some fun djembe stuff?

70's and 80's jazz. Like Weather Report or Spyro Gyra. Anything produced by J Dilla.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

70's and 80's jazz. Like Weather Report or Spyro Gyra. Anything produced by J Dilla.

Weather Report and the likes are a bit out of my league, but Donuts has some neat stuff to play along to. Thank you very much!

(Changed my mind, Black Market has some very very very very neat stuff to accompany to)

Helluva fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 1, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Helluva posted:

Weather Report and the likes are a bit out of my league, but Donuts has some neat stuff to play along to. Thank you very much!

(Changed my mind, Black Market has some very very very very neat stuff to accompany to)

:haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Spent too much time this morning watching this channel. Amazing setup and he can really groove.

https://www.youtube.com/@Nadjim

So he's using one this these, which I've never heard of but realllllly want one

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/drums/ea_drums/ead/ead10/product.html