Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I think he said he used to work under Kayaba, but he found out what Kayaba was planning and thought it was stupid and pointless.

I think the extent of rape dude's characterization was that he is supposed to be the worst human being in existence. He's greedy, (disgustingly) lustful, and places no value on the lives of others except in terms of what he can gain.

I still think Kayaba's character is stupid as hell since the show seems almost apologetic towards his murder of nearly 4,000 people. The fact that he was Kirito's god in the deus ex machina moment in the last episode is beyond terrible.

I think it is because we see it mostly from Kirito's perspective, and you get the impression that he - and a lot of others - look back on the time in SAO as not entirely terrible. Like it or not, it was part of their lives and they formed a lot of close relationships there. And the LN's never shy away from calling it a death game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Yeah, in one sense, SAO was one of the best AND worst thing to happen to them. But many SAO players were hardcore game addicts to begin with, and they could step out of their real life roles and limits, develop relationships with no prior history or preconceptions, experience new things. People in the front lines have a constant sense of accomplishment, they were the best at what they did, even if they risked their lives and their actions had meaning, to open the world up and eventually free everyone in the game. Being forced to dedicate two years of their lives into just experiencing things, instead of the daily grind of work and schooling(though it becomes grinding mobs for food money instead I guess)

Once SAO was over, what did they have? They became objects of pity, they've spent two whole years out of touch with the real world, imagine what happened to their jobs, friends and families. Kayaba was insane, but he had vision, and that vision was a hell lot prettier than reality.

Silver2195 posted:

The problem is that it doesn't work because a) Suguha is straight up in love with someone who has been raised as her brother without having any other psychological problems, which simply isn't realistic and b) Suguha is kind of a jerk about the whole thing; she's all "How dare you lead me on!" when Kirito has made clear from the start that he's in a committed relationship and Yui has outright stated that he's not attracted to her.

Poor Recon, I don't think she even noticed the dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Malachite posted:

It felt like the majority of the series to me. I found it kind of funny/sad that Suguha receives more character development than the main love interest, who only receives about 1 episode of rushed development and then sits on a pedestal for the rest of the show. "This is the perfect wife. The end."

Though reading over this thread, it sounds more like the fault of the adaption than the original story. I thought the first 8 episodes or so were great when it was focusing on the world and game aspect of it, then starts going downhill as soon as Asuna becomes the focus. The awkward second half seemed like the culmination of that.

If the later arcs actually focus more on the virtual world aspect again, I'd like to see more of that.

Phantom Bullet has a new female protagonist, She gets pretty good development across the GGO saga. And Mother's Rosario is All Asuna. Kirito is only there in the background.

The problem with SAO and ALO, is that in the Anime you lose the inner dialogue. The writer does a poor job of showing motivations without relying on the monologue to show exactly what each character is thinking and their reasons for doing what they are doing.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

veekie posted:

Yeah, in one sense, SAO was one of the best AND worst thing to happen to them. But many SAO players were hardcore game addicts to begin with, and they could step out of their real life roles and limits, develop relationships with no prior history or preconceptions, experience new things. People in the front lines have a constant sense of accomplishment, they were the best at what they did, even if they risked their lives and their actions had meaning, to open the world up and eventually free everyone in the game. Being forced to dedicate two years of their lives into just experiencing things, instead of the daily grind of work and schooling(though it becomes grinding mobs for food money instead I guess)

Once SAO was over, what did they have? They became objects of pity, they've spent two whole years out of touch with the real world, imagine what happened to their jobs, friends and families. Kayaba was insane, but he had vision, and that vision was a hell lot prettier than reality.

Yeah, I think there would be room for a sidestory about your typical goony loser who gets stuck in SAO, rises up to become a hero (or close enough to it) and who watches the end approach with mixed feelings because it means going back to the real world, where he is still a loser, only he is now also emancipated and way behind on his homework/unemployed. For some of them, dying in that last battle might have been the best they could hope for.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Namtab posted:

To be honest I don't really care about the "incest subplot" seeing as she isn't actually his sister plus it goes nowhere anyway. I especially don't care about it when you remember that the villain is motivated by the desire to rape Asuna, and that's far more distasteful.

If toonami had to drop one element, I'd much rather it be that.

I agree, the Suguha thing is pretty innocent when placed next to an adult who explicitly states that he will go a hospital to rape a comatose teenage girl, I can't remember the last time I felt so disgusted by someone who doesn't exist.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
My impression at the end of the day is that the show has absolutely poo poo writing and passable directing, but it still ends up being entertaining.

Don't think about it and watch it as a guilty pleasure and things will be fine. It's kinda like Symphogear (if any of you were following the summer thread). It's terrible, but entertaining.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm reading the first light novel and drat is it bland. Seems like no character has a personality at all.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Namtab posted:

I'm reading the first light novel and drat is it bland. Seems like no character has a personality at all.

I'd put that down to the really dodgy translation, well maybe not all of it, but those guys really need some editors.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Namtab posted:

Myurton posted:

I'd put that down to the really dodgy translation, well maybe not all of it, but those guys really need some editors.
The first light novel was part of a contest that had a max word limitation. It was good for that format, but it does come across as rushed. That is why multiple side-stories set within the period were written in an attempt to add characterization.

The 2nd arc, ALO, is the weakest of them all. The author even acknowledges that and knows how bad it is.

The author then started getting a lot better afterward. All of the material after ALO has been really, really good. The author matured and his writing got a lot better. This is actually why he is starting to re-write the SAO arc. He knows his early stuff was rushed and somewhat amateurish, so he is planning on re-writing it. I look forward to seeing how it turns out because I really like everything that was written after the ALO arc.

The series will only get better at this point. I really hope to see Phantom Bullet, Excalibur, and Mother's Rosario animated some day. Maybe season 2 can be Phantom Bullet, and season 3 can be Excalibur + Mother's Rosario.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nalin posted:

The first light novel was part of a contest that had a max word limitation. It was good for that format, but it does come across as rushed.

I'd agree with that, seems like it was pretty much just the setup followed by a bland romance. Kirito in particular comes across as not having much of a personality. Plus as all the development of his skills is done prior to the bulk of the book he comes across as rather overpowered, like an audience wish fulfilment character.

Glad to hear that the books pick up though, guess I'll stick with it.

\/\/ Sounds good to me.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 1, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Namtab posted:

I'd agree with that, seems like it was pretty much just the setup followed by a bland romance. Kirito in particular comes across as not having much of a personality. Plus as all the development of his skills is done prior to the bulk of the book he comes across as rather overpowered, like an audience wish fulfilment character.

Glad to hear that the books pick up though, guess I'll stick with it.

He is an unashamed wish fulfillment character. Even going forward. The real main characters after ALO are whoever he is traveling with. Mothers Rosario he has like 5 speaking lines, and is solely in Asuna's POV.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would be willing to watch more of his writing as an anime if it indeed improves over the later stories in the series. I haven't read them so I can't say for sure, but I'd be interested at least.

e:vv Is that part of the series or another similar show?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

ViggyNash posted:

I would be willing to watch more of his writing as an anime if it indeed improves over the later stories in the series. I haven't read them so I can't say for sure, but I'd be interested at least.

Well, there's Accel World if you want to crush those hopes straight away.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

e:vv Is that part of the series or another similar show?

I've never watched it, but it's a separate show with a few nods here and there that it might be in the same setting (I remember hearing some theories that one of it's female leads might be Kirito/Asuna's daughter and some stuff mentioned in Accele-world as being old tech apparently shows up the later SaO novels as state of the art stuff etc.).

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
There's a new game coming out called Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax that'll feature characters from the Dengeki Bunko manga publisher. It's going to feature some characters from Sword Art and thought it looked fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, I'm intruiged by the premise. Tell me if/why this show is worth watching.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The show is really more about the lead character than exploring much interesting about the setting, unfortunately, and he's a pretty flat character. Or at least he is in the show, I've heard that it's different from the novels.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

It has some interesting setting elements, some superficially cool fight scenes, and a rare example of an anime romance that actually goes somewhere. Unfortunately the second half of the series is not as good and honestly kind of skeevy (although it does have a satisfying ending).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Justin_Brett posted:

The show is really more about the lead character than exploring much interesting about the setting, unfortunately, and he's a pretty flat character. Or at least he is in the show, I've heard that it's different from the novels.
He is a fairly flat character in the beginning novels, too. I would even argue that most characters were at that point. It was mainly due to the fact that the original novels were written when the author was younger, and due to the format they were written in. The later stories in the series are actually the more interesting ones.

But, to answer the original question, watch it if you want a .hack scenario that is done well. The show doesn't hit very many low notes and is enjoyable and well done throughout. While it is not super amazing, it is, in my opinion, above average.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you want a really pretty-looking teen power fantasy, SAO is prime cut. If you want thematic exploration, characterization, or good writing, I can't say you'll get it from SAO.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Jet Ready Go posted:

There's a new game coming out called Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax that'll feature characters from the Dengeki Bunko manga publisher. It's going to feature some characters from Sword Art and thought it looked fun.

Asuna's Super does twenty hits in one technique, maximum number with one weapon in SAO or ALO is 11, immersion and game ruined. Pack it up and go home, guys. :colbert:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

If you want a really pretty-looking teen power fantasy, SAO is prime cut. If you want thematic exploration, characterization, or good writing, I can't say you'll get it from SAO.

It is a teen power fantasy in the same sense Harry Potter is a teen power fantasy. And I'm not sure how anyone can look at Rrednosed reindeer and not see characterization. The second half of the series was a blatant grab for BD sales, though. It can fairly safely be skipped, just watch the last episode.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

Rednosed reindeer

Thanks, I remember this episode now. :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Why does that article end with a picture of anthropomorphic anime girl Sega video game consoles? :psyduck:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I just finished this the other day (I initially dropped the series early on until I ran out of alternatives and had to come crawling back.) :shobon:

I guess there's something wrong with me, because I actually liked the second half far better than the first! Everyone everywhere I've ever looked said the second half was worse than the first. When I first heard that it depressed me at the time because back then I was only about 10 episodes in. But in the end I didn't even start to care what happened in the next episode until the first half was over!

The first half just seems to go no where. It's a series of isolated incidents that take place whenever (Granted the date is mentioned frequently.) Even though there's a goal (Clear the game to escape) it's not the driving focus of most episodes. It's a far off goal with no end in sight because then the series would be over (Or so you'd think) much like Gilligan's Island. There's very little feeling of progress toward that goal even as the characters go up in level (Both in experience and floors.) It also felt like there were too many episodes that could have easily been cut out without impacting the main plot at all. Then it's suddenly over in one quick burst before you have time to catch your breath.

But the second half has a straightforward, short term goal, and because of that it feels much more cohesive. One episode leads to the next. Sure the stakes aren't quite as high, but at least it feels like a serial story instead of a Saturday morning cartoon show. If they'd been so inclined that's the kind of premise that could have been dragged out until the toys stop selling without ever bothering to finish.

I thought the ending was fine, but then I read on Wikipedia that it's still a WIP and isn't "really" over. Dammit. Did I speak too soon?

Strange though, it looks like they only animated the first four novels, and there's still over double that material left? Wasn't this really popular? Why stop there? I don't think Shana was ever this popular and that got three seasons.

*edit*
added spoiler tags because I just realized someone was newly inquiring about the show yesterday

Zogundar fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 20, 2013

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogundar posted:

I just finished this the other day (I initially dropped the series early on until I ran out of alternatives and had to come crawling back.) :shobon:

I guess there's something wrong with me, because I actually liked the second half far better than the first! Everyone everywhere I've ever looked said the second half was worse than the first. When I first heard that it depressed me at the time because back then I was only about 10 episodes in. But in the end I didn't even start to care what happened in the next episode until the first half was over!

The first half just seems to go no where. It's a series of isolated incidents that take place whenever (Granted the date is mentioned frequently.) Even though there's a goal (Clear the game to escape) it's not the driving focus of most episodes. It's a far off goal with no end in sight because then the series would be over (Or so you'd think) much like Gilligan's Island. There's very little feeling of progress toward that goal even as the characters go up in level (Both in experience and floors.) It also felt like there were too many episodes that could have easily been cut out without impacting the main plot at all. Then it's suddenly over in one quick burst before you have time to catch your breath.

But the second half has a straightforward, short term goal, and because of that it feels much more cohesive. One episode leads to the next. Sure the stakes aren't quite as high, but at least it feels like a serial story instead of a Saturday morning cartoon show. If they'd been so inclined that's the kind of premise that could have been dragged out until the toys stop selling without ever bothering to finish.

I thought the ending was fine, but then I read on Wikipedia that it's still a WIP and isn't "really" over. Dammit. Did I speak too soon?

Strange though, it looks like they only animated the first four novels, and there's still over double that material left? Wasn't this really popular? Why stop there? I don't think Shana was ever this popular and that got three seasons.

*edit*
added spoiler tags because I just realized someone was newly inquiring about the show yesterday

The main problem with the second half is Suguha/Leafa. Not only does she appeal to a fetish that makes a lot of people pretty uncomfortable, but she does so by being kind of an rear end in a top hat although she does redeem herself somewhat towards the end.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

The main problem with the second half is Suguha/Leafa. Not only does she appeal to a fetish that makes a lot of people pretty uncomfortable, but she does so by being kind of an rear end in a top hat although she does redeem herself somewhat towards the end.

So if that hadn't been a thing, would it have made a noticeable difference with most peoples' opinion? I felt largely indifferent about it. I just enjoyed the dramatic irony. :shrug:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zogundar posted:

So if that hadn't been a thing, would it have made a noticeable difference with most peoples' opinion? I felt largely indifferent about it. I just enjoyed the dramatic irony. :shrug:

Probably, the creepyness and fanservice added nothing and was particularly jarring since it wasn't there in the first season.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Silver2195 posted:

I was equally non-fond of the the incesty scenes with Suguha and the rapey scenes with Asuna. I just want to see Kirito hit things with swords.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I found the lingering rear end- and boob-shots annoying, especially when people were talking, and that lovingly animated shower scene of the little-sister-not-related-by-blood wasn't helping either.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Zogundar posted:

People die in the first half when they're killed in the game. People don't die in the second half when they're killed in the game. There's no sense of urgency or risk after Aincrad is beaten, really. That was what made SAO worth watching in the first place, and what led to the characters actually doing poo poo. Sure, it's more slice-of-life than the second half with little vignettes here and there that aren't necessary to the overarching plot, but the second half is boring 'cause nobody is going to die.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

occipitallobe posted:

People die in the first half when they're killed in the game. People don't die in the second half when they're killed in the game. There's no sense of urgency or risk after Aincrad is beaten, really. That was what made SAO worth watching in the first place, and what led to the characters actually doing poo poo. Sure, it's more slice-of-life than the second half with little vignettes here and there that aren't necessary to the overarching plot, but the second half is boring 'cause nobody is going to die.

Asuna was gonna get raped. That was the tension of the second half. Honestly, the complete lack of death-tension is directly responsible for the writers searching for other ways to get tension, which is responsible for both the over-the-top mustache twirling villain, and the eye-rolling tentacle rape stuff. All of that happened because they were trying to make you care in a world where people couldn't die.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zogundar posted:

I still would have disliked it because they took a not entirely terrible female character who actually did stuff and made her sit in a cage for the entire second half of the thing.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Has there been any news about a second season?

I hear animes aren't too reliable when it comes to sequels since they are mostly advertising for other media.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Jackard posted:

Has there been any news about a second season?

I hear animes aren't too reliable when it comes to sequels since they are mostly advertising for other media.

They're airing a recap of S1 (with some new footage) on New Year's Eve, so speculation is that if they're going to announce anything any time soon, it'll be then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, Asuna was kind of *always* terrible. She's built up as a strong fighter on-par with Kirito, but when does she actually fight? All the major fights in the first are Kirito being cool while she sits on the sidelines and twiddles her thumbs. They only work together as a unit once, and that was basically just her coming in for a canned combination attack like a grunt in Super Robot Wars.

That said I still liked her as a character and having her be caught in magical rapeland just so Kirito could reenact the plot of the freaking Super Mario Brothers movie felt really stupid.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Endorph posted:

Honestly, Asuna was kind of *always* terrible. She's built up as a strong fighter on-par with Kirito, but when does she actually fight? All the major fights in the first are Kirito being cool while she sits on the sidelines and twiddles her thumbs. They only work together as a unit once, and that was basically just her coming in for a canned combination attack like a grunt in Super Robot Wars.

That said I still liked her as a character and having her be caught in magical rapeland just so Kirito could reenact the plot of the freaking Super Mario Brothers movie felt really stupid.

I'm starting to think I watched an entirely different series that someone taped an "SAO" label to. Asuna (in my version at least) saves his life twice, dieing once in the process, and they fight as a unit for the penultimate fight of the series again. It is seriously baffling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually fighting and saving his life are two different things. There's nothing wrong with a female character who doesn't fight, either for lack of skill or lack of wanting to, but when you say 'she's a fighter' and have people say how strong she is and then have her barely fight, it feels very odd.

Like, she fights less than Kirito in the series. That's an objective fact. There are no less than three major scenes in the first half where Kirito fights and she does nothing but stand awkwardly to the side. There are *no* scenes where she fights on her own.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Endorph posted:

Actually fighting and saving his life are two different things. There's nothing wrong with a female character who doesn't fight, either for lack of skill or lack of wanting to, but when you say 'she's a fighter' and have people say how strong she is and then have her barely fight, it feels very odd.

Like, she fights less than Kirito in the series. That's an objective fact. There are no less than three major scenes in the first half where Kirito fights and she does nothing but stand awkwardly to the side. There are *no* scenes where she fights on her own.

She beat that monster fish by herself :colbert: And of course Kirito is shown fighting more often, he is the main character. Asuna doesn't even show up in most episodes. That doesn't mean she is a lovely character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just said that I liked her as a character, dude. I'm just saying, imagine if the situation was reversed - Asuna was the main character and Kirito was the love interest. Kirito was built up as this awesome fighter who had been in beta and could dual-wield and poo poo, but then he stood to the side awkwardly while Asuna handled everything save for a couple of scenes and some ~dramatic sacrifices~. That wouldn't strike you as odd?

I like Asuna, but I think that she was written pretty badly in some ways, to the detriment of both the show as a whole and her character arc.

• Locked thread