Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/myanimewaifu/status/1174556890006581248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That's hosed up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Why? How?

Also there's a new Beastars trailer for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgJBgrut5k

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why? How?

Also there's a new Beastars trailer for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgJBgrut5k

Licensing likely expired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The same thing happened with Knights of Sidonia earlier this year. Turns out that when Netflix licenses a show for streaming, those rights aren't permanent, oopsie doopsie. Sorry we hosed up the release of this anime and killed it in the consciousness of the American fandom and then let it get spirited away like Chihiro oopsie we're Netflix.

I don't think this will happen to stuff like Devilman or Aggretsuko, which were series explicitly made for and partially bankrolled by Netflix. Those rights are probably in perpetuity.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The Japanese LWA blu rays are region free and have English subtitles, so that's an option, albeit an expensive one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Netflix sucks rear end.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1174724202978398208?s=20

I would put this in the Given thread but I still need to catch up myself, anyone kind enough to repost this there? :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Done deal. ;)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:woop:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
awesome

given is easily my fav thing of this season.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would you say it's a given?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

The same thing happened with Knights of Sidonia earlier this year. Turns out that when Netflix licenses a show for streaming, those rights aren't permanent, oopsie doopsie. Sorry we hosed up the release of this anime and killed it in the consciousness of the American fandom and then let it get spirited away like Chihiro oopsie we're Netflix.

I don't think this will happen to stuff like Devilman or Aggretsuko, which were series explicitly made for and partially bankrolled by Netflix. Those rights are probably in perpetuity.

Can you elaborate on this part?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, they hold on to the series they license to release them all at once (but mostly in two parts) months after the series airs, and a lot of discussion in the anime community nowadays is based on the week to week airing of episodes as is usual for other services. There are sometimes fansubs sure, but most people don't watch fansubs anymore, so by the time the series begins to come out on Netflix, it never really got a chance to get into the conversation.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, they hold on to the series they license to release them all at once (but mostly in two parts) months after the series airs, and a lot of discussion in the anime community nowadays is based on the week to week airing of episodes as is usual for other services. There are sometimes fansubs sure, but most people don't watch fansubs anymore, so by the time the series begins to come out on Netflix, it never really got a chance to get into the conversation.

Ah ok. That I knew about. I thought there was some other bullshittery going on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And don't get me started on that super weird kinda racist "documentary" they did which was just a commercial for their newer releases.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Say what you like about the fundies who run Funi but they at least grew an audience organically. Netflix showed up throwing around venture capital bux and having barely done any market research.

They got some decent seinen shows out which might not have gotten funding otherwise but they have an incredibly arrogant attitude.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they should just replace that netflix doc with that old doc where someone called ryukishi07 "dragon knight 07"

Phobophilia posted:

Say what you like about the fundies who run Funi but they at least grew an audience organically. Netflix showed up throwing around venture capital bux and having barely done any market research.

they both blow

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"Hey one of our contractors has assaulted and sexually harassed another contractor. Let's keep hiring him for decades."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
let's do anime dubs where we just let the script writers write out gay subtext haha lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lets directly fund rick santorum

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The Colonel posted:

let's do anime dubs where we just let the script writers write out gay subtext haha lol

Which show was this

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Which show was this

Dragon Maid is the one that comes to mind. (I can sort of understand what they might have been thinking there, because the original line makes it sound like Kobayashi has somehow never heard of lesbianism before. But in the context of the rest of the show, changing it to Kobasyahi outright saying she isn't a lesbian is really, really not the right choice.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

Lets directly fund rick santorum
Let's have Mike Pence sponsor the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

The Fall seasonal thread will probably be going up by the end of this weekend. As has become tradition, I wanted to take suggestions for the next thread title. Here's a list of the upcoming shows next season. https://anichart.net/Fall-2019 and https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2019/fall

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

is that board game anime a full length or a short?

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

It's bunched together with the normal length shows, so I'm guessing full length.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Dragon Maid is the one that comes to mind. (I can sort of understand what they might have been thinking there, because the original line makes it sound like Kobayashi has somehow never heard of lesbianism before. But in the context of the rest of the show, changing it to Kobasyahi outright saying she isn't a lesbian is really, really not the right choice.)
Eh, that isn't my read on the original line at all. Tohru is a literal dragon from a fantasy world, it makes sense to ask if she has the same concepts of gender as a human before starting in on anything. For all Kobayashi knows dragons work like frogs, or something.

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
I'm pretty sure the gay subtext is Kaworu in Eva.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's no single loving example it's multiple shows

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The Colonel posted:

there's no single loving example it's multiple shows

Why can't I find any information about this, though? The only one case I can recall is Dragon Maid, and even that was more a vehicle for harassing the writing staff than anything else.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There have been multiple instances of it. Like off the top of my head:
  • Magic Knight Rayearth
  • Sailor Moon
  • Dragon Maid
  • The most recent Netflix dub/localization of Evangelion.
But yeah, it's not an isolated thing that dub/localizations do once in a while. It's fairly commonplace, and it loving sucks.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sailor moon is viz and the eva translator was connected to khara i thought?

i also can't remember if the recent sailor moon thing was on viz or toei's end

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I heard about NGE controversy and then I watched the show on Netflix with Polish translation. And it was fine. You guys must've had lovely translator or something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it was specifically some lines/term choices in the english tl that people didn't like, entirely possible they weren't replicated in other languages

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

also, someone who hadn't seen the old lines probably wouldn't know what they were missing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought the eva thing was one particular lovely translator for the sub with the dub surviving more or less intact.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought the eva thing was one particular lovely translator for the sub with the dub surviving more or less intact.

The guy who translated the re-release also translated all the other releases which makes it seem like some sort of meddling rather than his own decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the rumor is that khara higher ups were at the live premiere for the dub of one of the rebuild movies and when fans started cheering/talking during the kaworu scenes they thought american fans couldnt take shinji/kaworu romance seriously and so demanded the translations downplay them

who knows if its true but itd explain a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That story is from a goon and unconfirmed but it makes sense to me. More sense than a translator who's been working with EVA for 20 years suddenly going rogue because he commissioned a Girls und Panzer doujin anyway.