Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

You could try adding a bit of mashed pumpkin to her food so she gets some extra fiber in her diet, if the bleeding is being caused by constipation. Whats her regular diet?

She's been eating Blue Buffalo Chicken dry food for breakfast and Wellness Chicken wet food for dinner. We were feeding her Solid Gold Indigo Moon but her cat mom switched her food to Blue Buffalo a few months ago.

Cat mom took her to the vet this morning and had blood work drawn, she's having kidney issues. She's staying for an x-ray and urine work. I'm picking her up later tonight once I get off since her cat mom has to work. Hopefully her kidneys aren't shutting down. Will get food information from the vet once I get her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

Zaftig posted:

Have any of you dealt with inconsistent eaters? Cat A gobbles everything up, Cat B eats all but five kibbles (which he wants later if Cat A hasn't gotten to them), but Cat C is difficult. This morning she wanted food right away, and she ate maybe a third of it before walking away. Yesterday she wasn't really excited for either mealtime, and took maybe two bites every time I put the bowl in front of her. Same with the day before.

She used to just nibble tiny portions throughout the day, but with Cat A in the house, it's not really possible to leave her food out. We thought eventually she would just eat more at mealtimes, but it's been four months of this. We do bring the bowl to her in other rooms during non-mealtimes to encourage her to eat a little. It's a bit annoying to constantly watch over her while she nibbles, but mostly I'm worried that she's not eating enough.

In the time it took to write this post, she came back and had a few more bites before walking away again. I don't get this cat.

Of my two cats, one is a food maniac, and the other likes to leave it for a while before coming back to to it, at which point it's almost certainly eaten. I started feeding them based on the amount the latter was most likely to eat, which turned out to be 3x per day instead of 2x. Might be more difficult if would lead to you feeding them 5 or 6 times a day to portion it out right.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zaftig posted:

Have any of you dealt with inconsistent eaters? Cat A gobbles everything up, Cat B eats all but five kibbles (which he wants later if Cat A hasn't gotten to them), but Cat C is difficult. This morning she wanted food right away, and she ate maybe a third of it before walking away. Yesterday she wasn't really excited for either mealtime, and took maybe two bites every time I put the bowl in front of her. Same with the day before.

She used to just nibble tiny portions throughout the day, but with Cat A in the house, it's not really possible to leave her food out. We thought eventually she would just eat more at mealtimes, but it's been four months of this. We do bring the bowl to her in other rooms during non-mealtimes to encourage her to eat a little. It's a bit annoying to constantly watch over her while she nibbles, but mostly I'm worried that she's not eating enough.

In the time it took to write this post, she came back and had a few more bites before walking away again. I don't get this cat.

She has no reason to eat all her food if she's a grazer by nature and she knows that you're going to bring the food back later a few times for her to eat more. Have you tried doing ~a week where all she gets is at meal times and she just doesn't eat if she doesn't eat then? A few days of it won't hurt her as long as she's eating at least something and that's probably the only way she's going to get the idea.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

Zaftig posted:

My cats are like this. Duke likes to eat all his foods in one sitting, Princess prefers to pick at hers. My solution was to put Princess's food where she can easily get to it, but where Duke is too old/lazy to reach (on top of the dresser). That way she can eat at her leisure and he doesn't eat himself sick.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can I have some stories about cats who took a long time to warm up to a new place/new owners but then it turned out okay? I adopted a second cat on Sunday and she's still hiding in her carrier in the bathroom and won't even sniff me. She's eating and using her litterbox just fine while I'm out of the room so I'm not concerned about her health, and I think I have a pretty good handle of the theory about what to do in terms of just continuing to hang out quietly in the room with her and lying down to be on her level and generally leaving her be and letting her come to me first. And I know that she's three years old and she spent her whole life since she was a tiny kitten at a foster home with a LOT of other cats so this is a massive shock to her system and she'll be fine when she's had enough time to adjust, I just want some reassurance that sometimes it really does take as long as it's taking.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Kickshaw posted:

My cats are like this. Duke likes to eat all his foods in one sitting, Princess prefers to pick at hers. My solution was to put Princess's food where she can easily get to it, but where Duke is too old/lazy to reach (on top of the dresser). That way she can eat at her leisure and he doesn't eat himself sick.

I had that situation too, but fat rear end could get anywhere the other could. So I bought this: https://www.sureflap.com/en-us/pet-feeder/microchip-pet-feeder

Thing is loving amazing.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Ok, so Tumbleweed is now on special Kidney food. Instead of being bean-shaped her left kidney looks more like a circle so it could be malformed and maybe not even functional, we might need to get an ultrasound to figure if that's the case.

Animale fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 18, 2015

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Organza Quiz posted:

Can I have some stories about cats who took a long time to warm up to a new place/new owners but then it turned out okay? I adopted a second cat on Sunday and she's still hiding in her carrier in the bathroom and won't even sniff me. She's eating and using her litterbox just fine while I'm out of the room so I'm not concerned about her health, and I think I have a pretty good handle of the theory about what to do in terms of just continuing to hang out quietly in the room with her and lying down to be on her level and generally leaving her be and letting her come to me first. And I know that she's three years old and she spent her whole life since she was a tiny kitten at a foster home with a LOT of other cats so this is a massive shock to her system and she'll be fine when she's had enough time to adjust, I just want some reassurance that sometimes it really does take as long as it's taking.

My sister took in a cat, sam, whose previous owner had abandoned him (boy were they mad when we found him and contacted them through his microchip) who was about 6 years old and, while we didn't know much about his history, he super hated being with her other cats. It took months for him to feel comfortable wandering the house without starting poo poo with the others, and a little over a year before he begrudgingly would share a chair with one of them - and only if they stayed on their side of the seat. He was never a social cat (as far as other animals went, as he grew more comfortable he became quite the lap cat), but in time he learned to be comfortable and even befriend a couple of the other pets.

My cat Pizza, who I know likes us and spending time with us, took about two months to fully come out of hiding after we moved into our new apartment. Even though he knew us and loved us, just adjusting to a new home was enough to have him all freaked out by us. But now:

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 18, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Huntersoninski posted:

boy were they mad when we found him and contacted them through his microchip
What were they mad about? That you tried to contact them? That the cat still existed? "Goddamn cat was supposed to be dead!"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

When I brought my cat home, it was 2 weeks of hiding and then 6 weeks of extreme caution at all times until he finally revealed his true personality (rear end in a top hat). So yes, totally normal.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Weird cat behavior question:

Our cat's only been here a week, so she's still skittish and sometimes hiding, depending on who's around and how noisy it is, etc. Last two nights, when things calm down and it's just me on the couch I can pat the seat and she jumps up and lays next to me for pets and head-butts. It's very sweet. Last night I was petting her and she was super chill, purring, eyes half closed, belly up-- and as I stroked her on her back and side (not directly on the belly trap) she grabbed my arm with her claws and just held it against her face and body. I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I didn't pull away or say anything, even though her (semi-trimmed) claws were a little uncomfortable on my arm. I tried stroking the side of her face with the seized hand, and she bit my arm (not full force, but enough to hurt). She kept my arm in her claws during and after the bite, and through the whole thing she was still acting affectionate and purring. Confused, I stroked her again and she bit my arm again, and this time I decided I'd had enough and told her "no!" sternly. She immediately let my arm go and jumped off the couch.

I didn't get the sense that she was biting out of malice, but I'm not familiar with a cat biting to show affection. Was she trying to groom me? Or is she just a weirdo? If she does it again I'll chastise her right away so it doesn't become a painful habit, but I'm still curious what she thought she was doing and if it's a common thing for some cats?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Our cat's only been here a week, so she's still skittish and sometimes hiding, depending on who's around and how noisy it is, etc. Last two nights, when things calm down and it's just me on the couch I can pat the seat and she jumps up and lays next to me for pets and head-butts. It's very sweet. Last night I was petting her and she was super chill, purring, eyes half closed, belly up-- and as I stroked her on her back and side (not directly on the belly trap) she grabbed my arm with her claws and just held it against her face and body. I wasn't sure what to make of it, so I didn't pull away or say anything, even though her (semi-trimmed) claws were a little uncomfortable on my arm. I tried stroking the side of her face with the seized hand, and she bit my arm (not full force, but enough to hurt). She kept my arm in her claws during and after the bite, and through the whole thing she was still acting affectionate and purring. Confused, I stroked her again and she bit my arm again, and this time I decided I'd had enough and told her "no!" sternly. She immediately let my arm go and jumped off the couch.

I didn't get the sense that she was biting out of malice, but I'm not familiar with a cat biting to show affection. Was she trying to groom me? Or is she just a weirdo? If she does it again I'll chastise her right away so it doesn't become a painful habit, but I'm still curious what she thought she was doing and if it's a common thing for some cats?

She's playing with you. If you don't want it to become a habit, squeal in exaggerated pain when she bites/claws and immediately stop engaging with her to give her the message that you don't like it. She might pick up on it, or she might be a bitey jerk forever. Cats!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

floofyscorp posted:

She's playing with you. If you don't want it to become a habit, squeal in exaggerated pain when she bites/claws and immediately stop engaging with her to give her the message that you don't like it. She might pick up on it, or she might be a bitey jerk forever. Cats!

Hmm. Cats do play biting even when they're so relaxed that they're on the verge of falling asleep? I thought it was more of a behavior when they're excited/overstimulated. They definitely are a weird bundle of crazy instincts.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

taqueso posted:

What were they mad about? That you tried to contact them? That the cat still existed? "Goddamn cat was supposed to be dead!"

More of a "why are you bothering me?? it's not my cat anymore, leave me alone!"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks for the answers, guys, I do feel a little better/

Hmm. Cats do play biting even when they're so relaxed that they're on the verge of falling asleep? I thought it was more of a behavior when they're excited/overstimulated. They definitely are a weird bundle of crazy instincts.

Cats switch from happy grooming to playfighting all the time. Another thing you can try is what I do, which is have something the cat really loves biting nearby and when it looks like she's getting bitey, giving her that thing so I can continue petting her and she can bite something and everybody continues to be happy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:) "Oh hi Wolfgang. Why haven't you finished your breakfast?"
:catstare: *huk* *huk* *hork*
:) "Oh, a hairball, I guess that..."
:barf: BLAAAAARGH

I've never seen a cat projectile vomit before. Poor Wolfy.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Ned was a champ on the road trip. 3 solid days of driving without a single complaint, accident, or destruction of property. We've got him set up in an oversized dog kennel at our vet's advice: we're supposed to restrict his movement when he gets back from his surgery, so we want him acclimated to that beforehand. I'm sure his good behavior is at least partly down to the fact that he's high as balls on synthetic morphine, but still

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Our little Francine has some sort of cystitis again. She's been throwing up in the mornings, frequent trips to the litter box with small volume urinations, lots of licking of her urethra, and she has peed on the couch and some paper the other other day :( I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow (good thing I'm on vacation) just to make sure it's not a UTI. She usually gets dry food (Solid Gold Katznflocken), has a fountain that she likes to drink from a lot, and we have 2 boxes. We've been giving her wet food with supplemental water for the past 2 days to increase her fluid intake, but is there anything else we can do to try and help her in the mean time? I think she may be getting wet food exclusively from now on to prevent this from happening in the future, this is the second time this year she's had cystitis.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Laminator posted:

Our little Francine has some sort of cystitis again. She's been throwing up in the mornings, frequent trips to the litter box with small volume urinations, lots of licking of her urethra, and she has peed on the couch and some paper the other other day :( I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow (good thing I'm on vacation) just to make sure it's not a UTI. She usually gets dry food (Solid Gold Katznflocken), has a fountain that she likes to drink from a lot, and we have 2 boxes. We've been giving her wet food with supplemental water for the past 2 days to increase her fluid intake, but is there anything else we can do to try and help her in the mean time? I think she may be getting wet food exclusively from now on to prevent this from happening in the future, this is the second time this year she's had cystitis.

My Cinnamon has had a few bouts of cystitis, and besides making sure she has plenty to drink what really helped was helping her destress: we used a Feliway diffuser for a good week or so and reorganised some furniture/boxes to give her more hidey-holes. Possibly the most crucial change was moving some crates from under the bed so she can hang out under there again. She's always spent a lot of time chilling in the under-bed cave, and we didn't realise the importance of that to her til after her pee issues started.

brightbluu
Aug 2, 2015

One of my cats does this. She will grab our (mainly my boyfriend's) arms and bite down a little bit. Sometimes she accidentally bites a little too hard and we just tell her no. Most of the time though she will stop biting to groom us or just let go of your arm if you are still long enough. I think either fake crying from a firmer bite or just saying no when it's too hard is totally fine. I find it super cute when she tries to trap us and then starts licking.

Cats are cats is the short answer.

brightbluu fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 26, 2015

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm getting really worried about my cat (he's about 9 years old) and upset with the vet's response so far. His appetite has been decreasing for a couple of weeks now; we thought he was just being a picky eater as he was put on some bland gastrointestinal food for his digestive issues (has been having really bad diarrhea since the summer, which he went to the vet for and which prompted the gastro food). Starting about Wednesday last week, he stopped eating completely, so we tried different foods - both kibble and wet food, and he was uninterested in all of it. Friday afternoon we took him to the vet and they checked his teeth which were fine, and did some blood work. They said his liver and pancreas were fine, but that he had elevated white blood cells which could mean infection. They gave us some amoxicillin and said if that doesn't work, to just feed him any type of food and put some probiotics on it to help with the diarrhea.

I wish I had been there for the appointment (husband took him in as I was working), because I would have told them that he hasn't been eating ANY food, not just his gastro stuff. I'm super annoyed at my husband for not mentioning this in the appointment, but I'm also annoyed at the vet that they don't seem to be taking this very seriously. Amoxicillin needs to be taken with food....but he's not eating....?? We give him the antibiotics, try to get him to eat some food - sometimes he'll have like 4 kibbles or 2-3 bites of wet food, but then he pukes it all up an hour later anyway so not only is he getting no nutrients from the food, but I don't think he's even getting any benefit from the drugs.

I'm going to call the vet back right now, but I'm super stressed with the holidays coming up and us leaving town for a week. We had a friend who was going to babysit him, but there's no way we can leave him at someone else's house when he's not eating, he's puking everywhere and he may have diarrhea again all over their floors. If he's not better, we'll have to take him with us, and it's a 7 hour drive which I can't imagine will be good for him either.

I have no idea what to do. I'm so worried about him, he's the sweetest cat ever, and I'm really struggling with the idea that he may not make it. Any suggestions on things we can try?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I am going to look at some kittens (13weeks) I might be adopting soon, anything I should look for or ask about? They are going to be up on their shots and neutered by the time I would take them home. I'm looking to maybe adopt two of them so they don't get bored while I'm at work.

e:

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 20, 2015

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

floofyscorp posted:

My Cinnamon has had a few bouts of cystitis, and besides making sure she has plenty to drink what really helped was helping her destress: we used a Feliway diffuser for a good week or so and reorganised some furniture/boxes to give her more hidey-holes. Possibly the most crucial change was moving some crates from under the bed so she can hang out under there again. She's always spent a lot of time chilling in the under-bed cave, and we didn't realise the importance of that to her til after her pee issues started.

Yeah, that's a good thought. We just back from being out of town for a few days, and when she had cystitis previously it was after we had just gotten back from a month-long trip. I guess this is her way of telling us not to leave, ever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CarrotFlowers posted:

bad kitty stuff

Sounds like what my cat is going through. She has fatty liver disease which caused her to not want to eat. The only cure is to eat. She also has inflammatory bowel disease which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Thankfully it wasn't lymphoma.

She's on an anti-inflammatory medicine and an appetite stimulant. I have to feed her via the tube 4-5 times a day if she won't eat her regular food. This has been going on for about six weeks and results are mixed. Some days she'll eat like a pig and I won't have to juice her (that's what I call her tube feeding). She still needs to put some weight on, so I'm juicing her 3-4 times a day whether she eats or not.

She has to be able to eat on her on for a solid week before the tube can be removed.

Good luck with your kitty!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Well, Ned's owner called tonight. He finally saw the Found Cat posters we put up last week and was I credibly grateful. Which, y'know, I'm glad to reunite him with his people, but man I was getting done of the little goober. :(

At least we get to keep him through Christmas.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Sounds like what my cat is going through. She has fatty liver disease which caused her to not want to eat. The only cure is to eat. She also has inflammatory bowel disease which can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Thankfully it wasn't lymphoma.

She's on an anti-inflammatory medicine and an appetite stimulant. I have to feed her via the tube 4-5 times a day if she won't eat her regular food. This has been going on for about six weeks and results are mixed. Some days she'll eat like a pig and I won't have to juice her (that's what I call her tube feeding). She still needs to put some weight on, so I'm juicing her 3-4 times a day whether she eats or not.

She has to be able to eat on her on for a solid week before the tube can be removed.

Good luck with your kitty!

We took him in again this afternoon, and the vet (different one from Friday) suggested we do an ultrasound just so we know what we're dealing with. Ultrasound revealed a very large mass and some additional smaller tumors. Vet said it was likely a very advanced gastric lymphoma due to his history, and since he hasn't been eating for a few days now, he likely had liver problems and other issues. Prognosis wasn't good, and the vet estimated we would buy a few months, best case, with a painful and hard battle for him. We opted to ease his pain tonight and put our sweet little guy to sleep.

It's been a very hard night, and we're both still very upset. Wasn't expecting that to happen, at the very least least not so quickly, but I'm glad we were at least able to say goodbye. He purred in my lap right until the end. I'm going to miss that little guy.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
How the hell do you get a cat to let you clip their nails? I've been gently holding my cat's paw to try and get her used to it and she always pulls away immediately. Today she batted her paw at me in annoyance. I see these nail-trimming videos online where the cat sits totally still and compliant... Is it just a matter of gentle persistence until the cat gives up and lets the crazy food-giving monkey creature fondle its hands? How does a groomer do it with cats that don't even know them?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Some cats are cool with you just grabbing their paws and some arent. Hope you have the former.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Is it just a matter of gentle persistence until the cat gives up and lets the crazy food-giving monkey creature fondle its hands? How does a groomer do it with cats that don't even know them?
1) It can be, but the earlier you can do this, the easier it is. Trying to teach an old cat may earn you new scars.
2) Burritos and/or sedation.

I flip my cats onto their back in my lap then clip nails, check ears and eyes, whatever. One of my cats is totally fine about this, the other is squirmy as gently caress, so I would hold her there until she stopped squirming, wait a few seconds, then make a sound (clicked my tongue) to tell her it was ok to go. Every time after that, I would do the same thing, but wait a little longer before making a sound and letting them go. Repeat a fuckload of times over time and squirmy cat is way more patient about it. Then again, I've had that one since she was little, and I started early.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Had my eight hour drive with the kitty, and she's now under the bed, where I expected her to go.

I was legitimately surprised when she settled down about one hour in, only waking up intermittently after that. The new house has her spooked, and I hope she'll eat and drink something soon. She's set up in a quiet room with food, water, litter and feliway, so I hope she finds it ok.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

How the hell do you get a cat to let you clip their nails? I've been gently holding my cat's paw to try and get her used to it and she always pulls away immediately. Today she batted her paw at me in annoyance. I see these nail-trimming videos online where the cat sits totally still and compliant... Is it just a matter of gentle persistence until the cat gives up and lets the crazy food-giving monkey creature fondle its hands? How does a groomer do it with cats that don't even know them?

I have 2 big brutish, squirmy boys who really don't care to have their nails trimmed. A good trick is getting one of those big black metal binder clips things, and clamping their necks in the same spot where you could pick them up. It kind of immobilizes them, and doesn't seem to bother either of my boys. Really useful.. Then you'll have 2 hands to quickly trim their claws with.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CarrotFlowers posted:

We took him in again this afternoon, and the vet (different one from Friday) suggested we do an ultrasound just so we know what we're dealing with. Ultrasound revealed a very large mass and some additional smaller tumors. Vet said it was likely a very advanced gastric lymphoma due to his history, and since he hasn't been eating for a few days now, he likely had liver problems and other issues. Prognosis wasn't good, and the vet estimated we would buy a few months, best case, with a painful and hard battle for him. We opted to ease his pain tonight and put our sweet little guy to sleep.

It's been a very hard night, and we're both still very upset. Wasn't expecting that to happen, at the very least least not so quickly, but I'm glad we were at least able to say goodbye. He purred in my lap right until the end. I'm going to miss that little guy.

Sorry to hear that. At least he won't suffer any more. :(

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009
Hello we just adopted a cat (4yo, male, Vlad) yesterday. He has not yet used the litter box but seems pretty chill with the rest of the environment. I have taken him to it and put him and his paws in the litter so I'm pretty sure he knows it's there. When should I get worried?

Also he's a total sweetheart and very affectionate but is sad when he's lonely -- any tips on how to get him to stop meowing at the door at night? We're keeping the bedroom as a cat-free zone but my partner had to go sleep on the couch with him to get him to stop.

Madame Psychosis fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 21, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Madame Psychosis posted:

Hello we just adopted a cat (4yo, male, Vlad) yesterday. He has not yet used the litter box but seems pretty chill with the rest of the environment. I have taken him to it and put him and his paws in the litter so I'm pretty sure he knows it's there. When should I get worried?

Also he's a total sweetheart and very affectionate but is sad when he's lonely -- any tips on how to get him to stop meowing at the door at night? We're keeping the bedroom as a cat-free zone but my partner had to go sleep on the couch with him to get him to stop.

Could take a few more days for the litter box.

First step to try and get the meowing to stop is to ignore it. Let him meow through the night if you can and he'll hopefully realize it's futile.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009
Sorry, I was unclear -- I have no evidence that he has emptied his bladder or bowel.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Madame Psychosis posted:

Is he eating and drinking at all? If he is, he'll use the litter box when he's good and ready. My cat took a little over 24 hours before she peed and another 12 hours or so to do a #2--she was nervous and not eating or drinking very much at first.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
On trimming claws- I have 3 cats, and 2 of them are pretty good with claw trimming. Odin and Freya I can both just flip over on my lap and go to town, and although they trot away in a huff afterwards they forgive me pretty fast. Our new(ish) kitten(ish) Persephone, though, does NOT like to be flipped over at all. She also doesn't like to have her paws touched about 90% of the time, and is super athletic and squirmy and just plain hard to pin down most of the time. However, I've discovered that there's a brief window of time when she's dozing but not really napping and is just too drat lazy to care that I'm manhandling her and that's the time that I can trim her claws without a fuss. I still can't pick her up or move her position when she's like this, but I can at least trim whichever ones are easy to reach that day and hope that tomorrow she'll be in a position to get the rest.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
On Thursday a cat was discovered in my girlfriend's car, hanging on for dear life in a crevice under the hood. I was about to post here for advice when I realized all I needed to do was put some food out and wait, which we did. The cat came out and ate the food, but then ended up back up in the car. I put out more food and tried to capture it but it was too slick and kept running away. My girlfriend then decided to notify one of our local news stations, calling in at 12am to report that a stray cat had lived under her hood for two days and we were struggling to rescue it, to no avail. We went to bed with the idea that if it remained in the car in the morning, we would call a service to help get it out and safe.

We woke up on Friday to learn that the cat wasn't in the car any more, and may have just run off into the night, :smith:.

That wasn't the end of the story though, because shortly after waking up, a local number called my girlfriend, and she answered to find out that a reporter for Action News Jacksonville was moved by the tale, and wanted to do a story about it.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/local/kitten-found-under-hood-local-womans-car-2-days-an/npnXj/

You'd think that was the end of it, because we didn't have the cat anymore, and had nothing really to show for anything except a picture of a trapped kitten. Until Saturday morning rolled around and we received another call from Action New Jax, that the story had gone viral over night, and ABC in New York wanted to take the story national. Cue minutes later ABC calling us, and my girlfriend conducting a 30 minute interview about this kitten.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/purring-engine-turns-kitten-hiding-hood-florida-womans/story?id=35861096

I can't believe this was national news.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
How do you guys handle leaving cats alone for a few days? I'll be out of down for 5 days (leaving Christmas Eve morning, coming back the next Tuesday afternoon). I have someone coming over to feed them and scoop their litter box, but I'm not optimistic they'll hang around to play with them.

This is basically my plan:

Keep one window blind open so they're not in eternal darkness/know when it's day time
Keep the kitchen light on, that's where their food & water is
Leave out extra food in case my catsitter fucks up (he's taken care of my cats before and done a great job so I'm not too worried about this, but emergencies happen, etc.)
Get a few new toys to keep them busy while I'm gone
Pray I locked everything I want to not to be destroyed up tight enough they don't get to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
How long does an ear-related wound take to heal usually? The porchcat I take care of has had a wound on his ear since I first saw him. He keeps ripping the scab off and bleeding everywhere since it spatter when he shakes his head. I want to put a cone on him and see if I can get it to finally heal, but I highly doubt porchcat is going to allow this to happen.

I really really don't want to resort to this, but if he keeps bleeding over everything people are going to think I'm a serial killer or something.