Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SixteenShells posted:

I imagine the interior of the pen is a plastic reservoir to avoid corrosion issues with the aluminum body, so maybe this is a step on the way to a piston-fill regular Sport?

The piston knob makes me think it's a captive converter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SixteenShells posted:

https://www.kaweco-pen.com/serien/al-sport/944/kaweco-piston-sport-al-black/gold?c=245

Kaweco made a piston-fill aluminum Sport, with an integrated clip even! Way out of my price range but goddamn it's pretty.

Ridiculously overpriced.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ever since Kaweco pulled that Moonman stunt they've been dead to me

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Which stunt?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Which stunt?

Kaweco got pissy about Moonman/Majohn making hexagonal faceted pens and trademarked "Moonman" in the EU, pretty much forcing the latter to change their name.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CONID loving sucks

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

grack posted:

CONID loving sucks

I had COVID last summer and can indeed confirm it is not enjoyable. Bacon and eggs without any bacon or egg flavour is no fun at all.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fearless posted:

I had COVID last summer and can indeed confirm it is not enjoyable. Bacon and eggs without any bacon or egg flavour is no fun at all.

Wait, which thread am I in...?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

CONID loving sucks

Conid is a case of a company not being able to scale with success. The filling system is v clever, and the design language of the line is basically high end TWSBI. But they couldn't keep up quality in the face of demand and then got entirely shut down when Covid happened because they're really just a side project inside a pharmaceutical company. That being said, while I do have a nit to pick with my Regular Bulkfiller it's overall a nice pen that holds a ton of ink and is relatively easy to clean.

Oh, and they are also stupidly overpriced.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Conid is a case of a company not being able to scale with success. The filling system is v clever, and the design language of the line is basically high end TWSBI. But they couldn't keep up quality in the face of demand and then got entirely shut down when Covid happened because they're really just a side project inside a pharmaceutical company. That being said, while I do have a nit to pick with my Regular Bulkfiller it's overall a nice pen that holds a ton of ink and is relatively easy to clean.

Oh, and they are also stupidly overpriced.

I'm working on a Minimalistica with a titanium nib right now, and it is easily one of the worst factory nibs I've ever had to work on. Like, worse than virtually any of the hosed up Viscontis I've fixed over the years. The nib slit isn't straight (somehow), the tipping isn't even, and it's badly ground. I know it's Bock making these nibs, but anyone with any sort of experience should've looked at this thing under a loupe and immediately tossed it in the garbage instead of letting it go to a customer.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just wanted to stop lurking for a moment to say I picked up a Metropolitan on this thread’s advice and am loving it. I normally use a G2 .38, and it’s like that but even smoother. I got some blue ink refills for it as it only came with black.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
One of us one of us one of us

Side note, I was pulling some old pens out from my cup and I have this pelican Jazz I picked up for last year's pelican hub, and it was surprisingly easy to get it started up again. It didn't just Go like my Twsbi does, but I didn't have to prime it with water, just tap it a few times nib down. I've had more expensive pens weather long disuse much less capably

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

grack posted:

I'm working on a Minimalistica with a titanium nib right now, and it is easily one of the worst factory nibs I've ever had to work on.
When I got my Bulkfiller they claimed they tuned every nib before it left the shop, and they included a little card with a writing sample from the pen. And then pen did write pretty well, until I biffed the nib a little trying to remove the unit and now the tines clack.

Of course I've never seen a good titanium nib, and I don't understand why they're still a thing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
My king size came with a Ti nib and it writes very well. Swapped a Sailor KoP nib onto it the other for a change of pace.

I have another #8 bock Ti nib that did require some TLC before it was good, it came on a Ranga.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I recently made an account on Jetpens.

I bought a pen (wanted to try a Franklin-Christoph)…and a backpack.

I’m going back for more. Help.

Help me buy more.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Fountain pens will make you popular and fulfill your wildest dreams.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 20, 2024

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm taking some classes this summer, and got some campus notebooks to take notes in with my safari. Ink dries reasonably quickly so i didn't have a bunch of smudging, and getting the dotted lined paper makes it very nice for consistent indenting for outlines and straight lines for drawing tables. I get about the same level of feedback as working with a mechanical pencil, though I think that's just my safari, and i don't mind too much.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Heath posted:

Wait, which thread am I in...?

The Fountain Pen thread. I, however, thought I was in the Idiots thread...

In actual fountain pen content:

This Waterman 52 was given to me recently. The nib was looked at by a local expert who sadly assessed that it was pretty played out and likely beyond economical repair. He was correct! When I got the pen home, I took it apart for cleaning and to put in a new sac and discovered that there was a crack on the underside of the nib near the root of the right tine. Happily, I had a spare from a family pen that is a beautiful writer but which had been residing in a rather ugly WW2 era Waterman Dauntless and threw a spare clip on it too. It's a bit anachronistic I guess, but it fits and writes extremely well so I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

And then there's this...

This is not my pen. It belongs to a friend who has had me do some material repairs in the past. It's a mostly nice Waterman Hundred Year Pen, and the lucite end of the barrel is wonderfully clear and not the least bit rotten! It is, however, missing a big chunk out of the rim of the cap as the astute observer might note.

There are also some fine cracks in that cap rim too that will need a little help stabilizing.

I've been experimenting with some resin this evening to get a colour and translucency match and I think I have just about got it, so I intend to make the repair and let the entire thing dry overnight before spending tomorrow sanding, shaping and polishing.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 20, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Crossposting from the Newspaper Comic Strips Megathread.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (November 2-4, 1922)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Some fountain pens are too darn big.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I very rarely post my pens for that reason. And I have big hands. But they feel really unbalanced when posted with a few exceptions

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Heath posted:

I very rarely post my pens for that reason. And I have big hands. But they feel really unbalanced when posted with a few exceptions

I like posting my caps, and accordingly posted balance is a main criterion for me in selecting a pen. Franklin-Christoph 02 and 20 are long-time favorites of mine for that purpose. And some pens are light enough that even if they get long, the balance is still OK (like most Pilot pens).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Safety Dance posted:

Crossposting from the Newspaper Comic Strips Megathread.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Some fountain pens are too darn big.

I've got a mid 20's Lucky Curve in Chinese Red that has this problem. It's a very big pen. Nice to write with, but huge to the point that it won't fit into most pen or pencil slots in a brief case.

In other news, I was able to fix the chip missing from the cap of that Hundred Year Pen. It's gone from this:

To this:

If the pen is capped or the cap is posted, the repair is invisible. The repair was complicated by cracks existing in the remaining material on the cap-- they've been stabilized, but it is beyond my skill to make them vanish entirely. The person I did the repair for is very happy with it and that is what matters.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That's super neat. How do you do that?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mad Hamish posted:

That's super neat. How do you do that?

Thank you! Much like the Conklin Endura repair I posted about earlier, it was done with a 2 part epoxy and some dye added in. I was very fortunate in that this pen was otherwise in superb shape and I got a decent colour match extremely quickly-- the Endura took three or four days just to find the right colour orange. It is interesting how the colourant one adds to the epoxy changes how it behaves-- so far opaque paint pigments tend to darken as the resin sets up (like, a lot) and translucent dyes tend to noticeably extend the drying time of the epoxy but do not darken at all.

Anyways, the cap was placed on a tinfoil lined dowel, with the tinfoil coated in a transparent release agent so as to not adhere it to the repair. This allowed the backside of the repair to have a nice curve that matched that of the cap and saved me from having to do any sanding inside the cap of the pen. Once the resin was set up, I went about sanding it down to match the profile of the cap and then set about polishing, starting at 600 grit and working up to 22000 to give it that nice mirror shine. I gave the entire pen and its metal fittings a buff with 22000 grit to give it some shine without losing any significant material or plating and turned it over to the owner yesterday morning, who initially struggled to find the repair. It's there, if you know what to look for, but it is more or less invisible when the pen is capped or the cap is posted.

As I have said before, I try not to completely conceal damage that I repair, because the damage is an honest part of an object's story and is nothing to be ashamed of, especially if it is repaired in such a way that it is respectful of the artistic vision of the original designer. I do try to allow the eye to slide over the damage on all but a really careful, close examination.

I have a bunch of hobbies that have given me plenty of transferable skills (and tools). And I love the challenge of taking a damaged or junked out pen and bringing it back to life. This one wasn't anywhere near as involved as the Conklin repair and it is certainly... odd... to be doing a cosmetic repair on a Hundred Year Pen that doesn't involve replacing the rotted out barrel end, but it is still really nice to bring such a valuable pen back to what it's supposed to look like.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 23, 2024

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011
Vogue India: The Pen Hospital in Kolkata will nurse your broken fountain pen back to full health

quote:

“I don’t know who sold you this pen but they clearly did not mention how to care for it,” says Imtiaz, cradling my pen in the palm of his hand. He looks up, a frown on his face. “Fountain pens are a labour of love. If you don’t have the time to care for them, perhaps a roller pen would suit you better.” I smile sheepishly at his barely disguised taunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ah cats, the natural predators of the fountain pen