Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SamDabbers posted:

ARC/eARC only applies to HDMI transport, not S/PDIF optical/coax.

Right, I meant as far as deciding between using HDMI ARC or optical for your sound output. The bandwidth of HDMI ARC isn’t that different from S/PDIF whereas HDMI eARC has significantly more bandwidth.

(But, as far as formats I also don’t think it’s possible to get Dolby Digital + via optical, whereas you can via standard ARC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Okay I found a solution that lets me keep the sound bar on the eARC HDMI port and use only the one remote.

I moved the Nintendo Switch back to one of the TV inputs, and moved the Apple TV to one of the sound bar's inputs. When I change to that input using the Magic Remote, for whatever reason, does automatically activate the video feed.

Now the sound bar's HDMI ports can only do 60hz (which is why I opted to put the Swtich there in the first place, as opposed to the PS5 or Xbox), but we're only watching movies on the Apple TV so that doesn't matter.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is anyone else’s C1 brightness/image settings messed up after the latest firmware update? It’s like it reverts to being really dark but manually selecting the picture mode pops it back to where it should be. Every episode change in hulu reverts it and it’s incredibly annoying. I never should have updated since everything was perfect before.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I noticed my B9 will occasionally throw a frame of black during a film. Is this some ABL fuckery or should I be concerned about calling it in for warranty

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I gamed for several hours today on the C1 and I still haven’t changed any settings or enabled game mode. I might not need it?

In other news Encanto (D+) on the C1 is absolutely flipping gorgeous. I’m not crying you’re crying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How the heck do I actually get last years model of a TCL 6 to display 120fps? My series x says it's capped out at 60 and any troubleshooting I look up relates to the current model. The HDMI settings seem to be almost non existent but I thought a big selling point of this TV was 120hz? even if it's not 4k 120.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

veni veni veni posted:

How the heck do I actually get last years model of a TCL 6 to display 120fps? My series x says it's capped out at 60 and any troubleshooting I look up relates to the current model. The HDMI settings seem to be almost non existent but I thought a big selling point of this TV was 120hz? even if it's not 4k 120.
Check to make sure you have the right HDMI cable, for starters?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Movers brought our E9 out of storage finally and I get to watch OLED again. I also ended up picking up that new denon receiver/apple tv 4K.

1. Holy poo poo I forgot how great OLED is.
2. I don’t need anything really special HDMI cable wise for 4K right?
3. It’s incredible how well CEC works compared to my old receiver. I haven’t bothered hooking up our harmony remote and I’m not sure I’ll bother.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When it comes to a Netflix and Plex player, is the Fire TV Stick 4K Max or the Chromecast with Google TV the one to get if you want to stay below 100 dollars?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

When it comes to a Netflix and Plex player, is the Fire TV Stick 4K Max or the Chromecast with Google TV the one to get if you want to stay below 100 dollars?

First try the built in ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Built in plex apps are often straight up garbage if they even work anymore. Lots don’t following some changes that were made last year.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MikusR posted:

First try the built in ones.

I've done so and there are issues, it's the reason I'm asking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

2. I don’t need anything really special HDMI cable wise for 4K right?

Not for 4K, but you would for high refresh >60Hz which I'm not sure if that model supports or not.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, last years TCL6 is 4k120 panel but only HDMI 2.0 compliant :negative: at least its keeping me from buying a new receiver

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Incessant Excess posted:

I have the Fire TV Stick and it works great with Plex and Netflix on my OLED.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Planned to get a 77" LG C1 after our attic renovation, but given a well-timed drop in price I went with an A80J instead. This is not only my first OLED, but my first television with HDR. Incredible. Now if only we had a couch ...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm about to take the dive in to an LG C1 once they drop the price in a month or so, but I am having a hard time figuring out how I can wire this up. I am using an Onkyo TX-NR656 for 5.1.2 over Atmos with my Xbox Series X. I believe the AVR uses HDMI 2.0b, so to take advantage of the 2.1 features I will need to run the console directly to the TV. But now, how do I get the audio out? I want full audio pass-through from the console to the AVR, but the AVR does not support eARC to get it from the TV. Do I need to find an HDMI 2.1 audio extractor or an eARC audio extractor or is there something else I might be able to do?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Lifespan posted:

I'm about to take the dive in to an LG C1 once they drop the price in a month or so, but I am having a hard time figuring out how I can wire this up. I am using an Onkyo TX-NR656 for 5.1.2 over Atmos with my Xbox Series X. I believe the AVR uses HDMI 2.0b, so to take advantage of the 2.1 features I will need to run the console directly to the TV. But now, how do I get the audio out? I want full audio pass-through from the console to the AVR, but the AVR does not support eARC to get it from the TV. Do I need to find an HDMI 2.1 audio extractor or an eARC audio extractor or is there something else I might be able to do?

The only eARC extractor I’ve heard about that supports HDMI 2.1 is the SHARCv2, and it’s only in preorder currently. It’s also not cheap, $228 on their site(!). There could be other options out there but I was in a similar situation as you and abandoned the idea pretty quickly versus just putting that money toward a new receiver.

Unfortunately, your options with the existing setup are to either stick with 4K/60 Hz and good audio with minimal delay, or to plug directly into the TV for 4K/120/VRR/ALLM but have some pretty nasty Dolby Digital audio delay via regular ARC (or be limited to PCM 2.0 audio with less delay).

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Ugh, that totally blows. Guess I'll just skip the TV as it's definitely not worth the cost of both the TV and AVR to upgrade from my already "good enough" set.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My older Marantz SR6008 supports ARC, but not HDR pass through, etc. Will it support HDR / DV on the ARC port because it's simply a passthrough (?)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Having just got a CX, it's a pretty massive upgrade over the TV I was using.
Where as (from what I understand) the difference between the sound that you'll get from a 2.0 and a 2.1 HDMI cable will be very difficult to measure.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My older Marantz SR6008 supports ARC, but not HDR pass through, etc. Will it support HDR / DV on the ARC port because it's simply a passthrough (?)

Probably not.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The Question IRL posted:

Having just got a CX, it's a pretty massive upgrade over the TV I was using.
Where as (from what I understand) the difference between the sound that you'll get from a 2.0 and a 2.1 HDMI cable will be very difficult to measure.

I've got a decent Samsung QLED that is only a few years old, but I wanted 120Hz/VRR and those OLED blacks. The sound difference is that I won't be able to support Dolby Atmos anymore which does matter a lot to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung's new 2022 TVs have..... NFT support.

*sigh*

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Samsung's new 2022 TVs have..... NFT support.

*sigh*

....how? How does that work?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BonoMan posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/2/22858698/samsung-2022-tvs-nft-support-announced-cryptocurrency

Look, I have loved TV features that most have called a fad and that did turn out to be fads (I miss 3D TV), but I don't think anyone is interested in this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
How can I be sure the chain of ownership is not compromised by malicious hackers that capture my digital token?!

VvV
LOOK, man. I know that the 86" Laser-OL3D is a steal at $1,200 but I just want a drat panel and not something that mines ViewCoin!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 3, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looking forward to all the posts looking for a 43” screen with no smart features and no NFT support.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

They're adding the ability for tvs to take screenshots :newlol:

(I have not read the article yet, i just woke up)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

A tv that could save gifs or short clips and send then to your phone would sell like hotcakes, at least until the parent company was nuked from orbit by Hollywood lawyers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's just having the ability to view and buy NFTs from the TV. Because, I guess, when you are being scammed into paying for GIFs, you want to show them on the largest screen in the house.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It'll never happen because premium/quality audio is already a niche thing because the world is stupid and deaf, but a modular AVR would be cool where next year when HDMI 2.35894nbgjrsdbngksj comes out you could just swap out or add a module on the board or something. Its getting really tedious.

Its too bad good things cant exist because consumerism is the axis on which the world spins and also is driving us towards our timely doom as an infectious destructive race

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Welp, went ahead and ordered the Denon S760H from Costco. I felt a little silly buying a Costco membership just for that one item, but Crutchfield and Best Buy are both selling the step-down S660H model for $50 more (or the step-up X1700H for $250 more(!)) so it became a bit of a no-brainer at that point. And I guess I can finally try their hot dogs now after listening to the Doughboys rave about them. :v:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I pulled the trigger on an S760H too, and so far it's very needs suiting. There is a firmware update for it so I suggest at least temporarily connecting it to your network and downloading the update.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Costco Denons and Onkyos are popping up on AC4L occasionally but they sell out really fast.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hadn't heard of this site till just now, looks sketchy, but is it good?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I bought my last receiver from accessories4less with no issue. I too bought the Costco one as my replacement avr

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought my speakers and receiver from AC4L and have no issues two years later.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All the money they didn’t spend on web design since 2002 helps keep prices low! I’ve bought from them several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ve bought from their amazon storefront without problems