Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

tupperware should start selling vapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

dopesilly posted:

You're an idiot if you think it's the actual developers shutting studios down, blame the executives at monopolies who acquire and liquidate for the sake of quick profits.

I am an idiot, but getting your studio shut down because you couldn't to anticipate and deal with a problem that's so well-known that even you knew about it is still failing to keep your studio afloat. If you don't need a huge game company to produce games anymore, maybe you shouldn't succumb to the temptation of quick capital by getting bought by one.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hello Sailor posted:

I am an idiot, but getting your studio shut down because you couldn't to anticipate and deal with a problem that's so well-known that even you knew about it is still failing to keep your studio afloat. If you don't need a huge game company to produce games anymore, maybe you shouldn't succumb to the temptation of quick capital by getting bought by one.

The people who sold the studio 4 years ago and the people who got fired last week are totally different people.

That said, the idea that Gamestop can take a bunch of unemployed devs and shove them into their zombie retail spaces in america's derelict malls and get games out the other end is also dumb. A studio is a cohesive entity, not a bunch of random hires.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

dopesilly posted:

I don't see how this is a complex idea, but then again I'm sure none of you with an opinion here have any experience in game development anyways.

Well you sure showed them

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

dopesilly posted:

Did you read either of my posts? There's been over 60,000 developers laid off just in 2024 alone. How many Gamestop stores are there? 4000? Do the math.

A single junior developer would have a salary requirement equal to about 50% of the entire staffing budget of a GameStop store. Do the math on what 15 devs would cost that store.

You seem to be operating in the "I think this sounds cool and will stop putting any thought into it beyond how much I would like it to happen".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dopesilly posted:

I still don't understand why they're sitting on 1bil+ of cash and not doing SOMETHING with it other than cryptic memes and bullshit NFT marketplace. They have enough cash to turn every Gamestop retail space into a storefront + publisher + developers of indie games. Like I imagine if they did that, every laid off game developer across the NA region could just drive to their local Gamestop and be supported making games or entertainment, teaching the trade to others, and maybe reinvigorating the industry that is currently getting hammered by monopolies.

I just miss LAN Center businesses really. We need more places for people to feel like they have a sense of community.

The video game market is so insanely oversaturated that the chances of becoming commercially successful even with a small indie studio that has low overhead are pretty similar to e.g. a band putting out a commercially successful album. So no matter how much support Gamestop gives developers in this scenario, everyone involved is going to lose money.

Also it's small indie titles that the market is insanely oversaturated with, so this has pretty much nothing to do with monopolies. The monopolies have just acquired and dismantled a small handful of successful indie studios recently.

You never hear about 98%+ of titles listed on Steam in the same way that 99% of apps in the mobile app stores never get a single download. There's an absolute deluge of garbage out there that makes it hard for even gems to get recognized.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 13, 2024

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
fine you're all right and i'm an idiot, god forbid i want gamestop to do something useful with a billion dollars lmao

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gamestop is and always has been a garbage company that has no idea what to do with its money, it's wishful thinking to imagine them doing anything valuable with it. But dumping a billion dollars into a bunch of indie games destined for failure wouldn't be anything more than philanthropy which you can't expect out of a corporation, because it's highly unlikely they would see any return on that investment. There are already tons of good indie publishers providing that exact service for the games that have a chance to be successful.

It would also be cool if someone paid me to quit my job and make art every day but I'm not going to pretend anyone's going to just give me money to do that, especially not business dollars that are expecting ROI.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 13, 2024

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

dopesilly posted:

Did you read either of my posts? There's been over 60,000 developers laid off just in 2024 alone. How many Gamestop stores are there? 4000? Do the math.

Lmao

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

dopesilly posted:

fine you're all right and i'm an idiot, god forbid i want gamestop to do something useful with a billion dollars lmao

The first step is admitting you have a problem. Good job.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

dopesilly posted:

I don't see how this is a complex idea, but then again I'm sure none of you with an opinion here have any experience in game development anyways.

I worked in the industry for several years (admittedly a long time ago), and this is a bad idea. The economics of game development and publishing were poo poo 20 years ago, and I see no reason to believe it isn't as bad or worse now.

If GameStop has 1B in cash, honestly the best thing they can probably do is delay the inevitable by using their cash pile to delay bankruptcy

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drk posted:

If GameStop has 1B in cash, honestly the best thing they can probably do is delay the inevitable by using their cash pile to delay bankruptcy

Maybe they should use it to short GME

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

dopesilly posted:

I can't tell if you're trolling or really this clueless.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

they should pivot to becoming an advocacy group that prevents impressionable and naive youths from trying to hack it in game development.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They should invest it in diabetes medicine and gouge their customerbase from a new angle

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Turn all gamestops into hot pocket factories and they'll be back on top.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If Gamestop was the type of company that had good ideas they wouldn't have launched a NFT marketplace in 2022*, or gone in on retrogaming in 2019**, or tried to do indie games publishing in 2016***, or bought a digital distribution platform in 2011****, or created MovieStop (dvd rental store) in 2004*****

*months before the crash

**a year after everyone got bored with retro mini consoles

***when indies were already getting highlight packages on the E3 shows from MS & Sony, companies like Devolver Paradox etc were already established players in their genres, and Steam was about to make "publisher" a totally optional concept for small self-funded indies

****when Steam had already won decisively

*****about when Netflix was saying "welp we ate Blockbuster's lunch, what should we do next?"

The only original idea they ever had was "buy used game for $5, sell it for $40".

edit:

Tunicate posted:

They should invest it in diabetes medicine and gouge their customerbase from a new angle

if they did it would mean we are a year or two away from someone inventing a cure

so yes they should do this

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 14, 2024

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't know why anyone would think having a billion dollars would let you do successful money-making things despite being a complete failure in everything you touch when the reason GameStop has a billion dollars is other people had that billion dollars and gave it to GameStop

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
So now that the stock jumped a lot it's a good opportunity for people who have DCAed so much that they're now profitable now. This might be the only chance they ever have to walk away from the table with a profit, to have their savings recovered, not be destitute, save their families, and even be able to say 'see I was right I made money'! How many of them will actually take advantage of this miracle instead of being consumed by greed and MOASS nonsense? At this point if they don't cash out they deserve what they get when the stock crashes.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I was thinking that he's finally confident that the SEC isn't doing jack poo poo about memestock hype-men anymore, and with support flagging for the current crop of grifters it's time to come back. The man seems to have patience and a sense of timing, at least.
Apes detaching entirely from reality makes enforcement a lot harder. The standard for fraud frequently includes what a reasonable person would believes as a component. Like as an example, can you think of any possible tweet that Ryan Cohen could make that would not be interpreted by the cult as a sign that they should buy even harder? Even if he posted something like "We have no plan, the stock is overvalued, and it is highly likely Gamestop will go bankrupt and become worthless" would probably be interpreted as a secret reverse decoy message.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Popete posted:

This pump seems pretty clearly because of his Tweets, there really isn't any other explanation. Now whether that is just true apes or apes + speculators hoping that this would happen who knows but I don't know how else you explain this run.

You're right, there's no other explanation. It just seems so far-fetched to me, yet it's the only clear possibility. By golly, this is why I started this thread! It's all so strange!

dopesilly posted:

I still don't understand why they're sitting on 1bil+ of cash and not doing SOMETHING with it other than cryptic memes and bullshit NFT marketplace. They have enough cash to turn every Gamestop retail space into a storefront + publisher + developers of indie games. Like I imagine if they did that, every laid off game developer across the NA region could just drive to their local Gamestop and be supported making games or entertainment, teaching the trade to others, and maybe reinvigorating the industry that is currently getting hammered by monopolies.

I just miss LAN Center businesses really. We need more places for people to feel like they have a sense of community.

People have thoroughly driven home the reasons why this particular business idea is not viable, but I'd like to address the larger question at the center of your post: Why hasn't GameStop used their vast hoard of cash to turn things around?

Well, the short answer is that's really hard. GameStop is a publicly traded company. That doesn't just mean it has an obligation to its shareholders to make money, it also means it is in competition with all the other publicly traded companies. It doesn't have to make more money than every other company, but it does have to offer a compelling reason to put any amount of money in it instead of another company. Diversification is a motivator in this regard (people want to spread their money across many, varied stocks to insulate themselves from the effects of shocks to specific companies or industries) but they still need to convince investors to include GME in their stock basket. If I want to invest in retailers, why should I put a dollar into GME instead of putting another dollar into WMT?

GameStop has the money to put an effective plan into place, but there is no effective plan. They don't have anything that they can pivot into a successful business model. They have a lot of experience and business knowledge on how to run a brick-and-mortar specialty retailer... a category of business which is in the process of going extinct. They have commercial real estate... a category of asset which is currently collapsing in value. The one thing that they do have is a lot of cash, but lots of companies have lots of cash. If there was something obvious they could do to turn a profit and stand out in the market, which only required a large amount of liquidity, it would have been done already by someone else. You see GME apes harping on about how it doesn't make sense that investors are bearish on GME when the company has so much money in the bank and very little debt, but that's just the thing: investors don't want that. Investors like it when companies spend their money and take on debt to grow. If a company is paying off its debt, that means it doesn't know how to spend that money in a way that will generate enough revenue to outweigh the interest payments on the debt, which is really really bad!

So, you want to know why they went all-in on the NFT marketplace? Because it was one of their only hopes to pivot to something new. If NFTs had been all they were promised to be by advocates, then GameStop would have correctly identified a gap in the market. NFTs were a new thing, so every business was on the same level of existing business knowledge about them, and the need for a good USA-based NFT trading platform with institutional resources behind it would have been an excellent way to translate their large amount of cash into a new business model. Unfortunately for GameStop, NFTs were a load of bullshit, and now the company is right back where it started.

If you think the solution is obvious and you have identified a clear path for GameStop to turn their ten-figure nest egg into a successful business model, you may have a lucrative career in business consulting ahead of you. However, the fact that your idea was reliant on the notion that a company could find nationwide success by working against monopolistic practices, when in fact monopolistic practices are so effective at making money that we have to make and enforce laws to stop every company from glomming together into a giant megacorp, indicates you maybe don't have the most advanced understanding of how to make a business profitable. Don't worry, there's no shame in that! Most of the people who do have that advanced understanding are assholes. Let's leave the money-making to them, eh?

As a coda: It's a lot harder to turn a billion dollars into wealth as a publicly-traded company than as a person because a company has to find a way to use that money to create value, whereas a person can just invest that money into companies. Like, if I had a billion dollars, I'd give away 9/10ths of it as fast as I could, then invest the remainder in a way that ensures I get a comfortable regular payout for the rest of my life. I wouldn't have to worry about actually finding a way to grow the value of my assets, I'd just give it to existing companies who already do that, which is not an option available to companies... at least, not in theory. However, late last year, GameStop actually did just that! They invested a bunch of their cash into other companies to try to make a profit on it. Put charitably, this is unconventional. Put uncharitably, this is insane. Investors want companies to do stock buybacks, to buy their own stock. A company buying the stock of other companies is practically an admission of defeat! Why on Earth would I, as an investor, give money to GameStop so they can then turn around and invest that money into some other company when I can just invest in that other company myself? This move baffled me far more than the web3 stuff.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Gamestop can just seamlessly pivot to make a new full loot PVP sandbox MMO called "New World of Gamestop" and BAM, easy instant multi-billion dollar valuation. Worked for Amazon...... right?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Anyways, I'm gonna go ahead and predict MOASS now, in two weeks, based on the poo poo I just took

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Gamestop should buy Cloud Imperium Games, that seems to be a never ending money printer

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Popete posted:

Gamestop should buy Cloud Imperium Games, that seems to be a never ending money printer

Hey that's an idea, GME could just buy one of the US mints, I'm sure they couldn't cost more that a billion. Problem solved!

Oh or if they are having trouble competing with online stuff, maybe they could pivot into selling something that would be really hard to order online cos of shipping costs and what not.

How's the anvil market these days? I'm sure they could by on that, particular if the sold stuff like sick coloured LED's lights for the Anvils and stuff.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, just to add, as a real big wealth investor even buybacks and dividends may not be desirable.

I have $50m to invest in you to grow my wealth, and you have just turned round and paid $1m back to me? And now I have to work out where to invest it all over again? Myself? :sad:

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Original_Z posted:

So now that the stock jumped a lot it's a good opportunity for people who have DCAed so much that they're now profitable now. This might be the only chance they ever have to walk away from the table with a profit, to have their savings recovered, not be destitute, save their families, and even be able to say 'see I was right I made money'! How many of them will actually take advantage of this miracle instead of being consumed by greed and MOASS nonsense? At this point if they don't cash out they deserve what they get when the stock crashes.

I know someone who got too deep into the mythos and started believing it, and hear about it from time to time. I can assure you those fools are going to hodl until there's nothing left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

The model after that will blow up in the factory, finally followed by the subsequent tachyon presploding car.

Excited for the car that if you conceptualise it it makes your brain explode.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
If you’re being charitable to GME (but why?) they’re also sitting on the cash because the only reason they were profitable last year was the 47.9 million in interest they received last year. I mean it’s not really a compelling business case — invest in us so you can get exposure to the US treasury market less the costs of running a failing retail business — but at least it’s better than being a failing retail business actively losing money.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Foxfire_ posted:

Apes detaching entirely from reality makes enforcement a lot harder. The standard for fraud frequently includes what a reasonable person would believes as a component. Like as an example, can you think of any possible tweet that Ryan Cohen could make that would not be interpreted by the cult as a sign that they should buy even harder? Even if he posted something like "We have no plan, the stock is overvalued, and it is highly likely Gamestop will go bankrupt and become worthless" would probably be interpreted as a secret reverse decoy message.

I think this is definitely a part of it. Squeeze era DFV was on YouTube saying “buy GME”, but the apes today are so desperate for a sign from the heavens that he can rally them with a 20 second clip of Wolverine and zero commentary. He’s pretty untouchable as long as his messaging is this dumb.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it appears GME will open at...more than double yesterday's close.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Time to buy high!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve got a thousand share buy order in at $75. Expecting GME to hit $150 today and $400 by end of the week.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

$150 would be significantly higher than the peak last time, let alone $400. When split adjusted that would be $1600 a share.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

split adjusted, if it gets to $121, every bag holder is green

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The market can remain irrational longer than you can remain sane.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fate Accomplice posted:

it appears GME will open at...more than double yesterday's close.

Now at just below 50, maybe some of those long-term bagholders actually accepted a green exit.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Whew the drop from opening for both GME and AMC are eye watering. I hope the old bag holders had the good sense to put in limit orders last night

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GME daily volume has been up tenfold since the first of the month compared to the two months prior. Someone knew a pump was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I did it! I successfully made money off GME!!