Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElectricMucus
Feb 9, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm the prisoners' dilemma

That sort of thing happened before with namecoin. Price crashed and everybody abandoned mining it over the course of a week, leaving the true believers chucking along for months till the next difficulty adjustment. Altcoins have a faster downwards difficulty adjustment for this very reason.
I don't really see a reason why this can't happen with Butts, except there is no other thing you can use asic miners for, so perhaps if a crash is devastating enough it might happen. The sad thing about it is if that happens Butts would really be dead, so no more laffs after that biggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

FrozenVent posted:

i'm the lie

wait no i'm the lovely customer service

multibit is a free, open source client

no one is a "customer" in this case

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
open-source: fix it yourself, wait for a fix, or go gently caress yourself

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

...! posted:

MAJOR Mulitibit Bug- BTC GONE - It cost me all of my btc, please read and help if possible. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 36 minutes ago by wetseals

I will try to be as detailed as possible with this post, I was told coming here would be a good way to warn Multibut users of a bug that I discovered, that caused me to not be able to access my bitcoin. I am somewhat new, so please bear with me, and ask any questions if I am not clear enough.

I was keeping my small amount of bitcoin on blockchain.info, and decided to move it to a more secure offline storage method. I chose Multibit, since I would not have to download the entire blockchain.

I installed multibit, and was able to send my bitcoins to my Multibit wallet, no problem. I then created a lot of addressses, as I wanted to have a bunch already in my wallet, since I am starting to sell various Starbucks items online on SealsWithClubs and on bitcointalk, and figured I would have unique addresses all set up. I ended up with about 550 addresses in my multibit wallet. Still no problems.

Here is my where my issue occurred. I made this transaction: https://blockchain.info/tx/a26245890834c2d628dfb7555b9ce8019d2b008e0a1fd616fc411ba9b58adb91

sending 0.024 btc to my sealswithclubs account. The transaction went through fine, and as far as I can tell, multibit sent my entire balance in that transaction, with the rest coming back to me in a change address. The change address is: https://blockchain.info/address/1AdHAc4kYrMzwijP75b4qp4xqP3ZRuFqL1

MY bitcoins now sit in that address.....but I cannot access them. I can even see them in my multibit wallet when I start it up. But when I try to complete a send, multibit will not broadcast anything to any peers. Yes, I have tried all the troubleshooting, nothing works.

So, I decide I will just export all my private keys from Multibit (since the address my bitcoins are in is listed among all my other btc receive addresses in Multibit). I export the keys, and import them into blockchain.info......nothing shows up. I then go through them, one by one, importing them one at a time, and guess what? I have the private keys for every single address in my receive list, EXCEPT the address multibit generated as my change address.

My coins to this day still sit in that btc address. They have not been stolen, I was not hacked, etc. Multibit never saved the change addresses private key, it just added the address to my multibit receive address list.

I have had many people look at this, and no one can get it fixed so far. I even offered 50% of what I am missing to recover it, since it is all I have. Still, no one can get it figured out.

I messaged the Dev (Jim) of Multibit, he sent me a generic response that did not even address the issue. So I ask you guys, any ideas? I have spent a week on this, trying to figure it out, and am beyond frusterated. And the DEV refuses to respond to me, either on GitHub or on bitcointalk.

Please, someone try to help me. I am a good person, and feel like the dev should look into this asap. If it happened to me, it could happen to you.

TLDR:

Sent btc to multibit Sent btc in a successful transaction Change address was created in multibit, but multibit did not save the private key in my wallet or ,key I can see my btc, but cannot spend or move it. Multibit dev refuses to address the issue

I really hope someone can help me. I can provide any info that may help.

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 11 minutes ago

JIM REPLY:

Your best strategy is to export the private keys unencrypted and have a look at the file that is exported. It should have the format as described in the help here: https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_exportingPrivateKeys.html

Then import them, say into blockchain.info one by one.

You'll appreciate there are hundreds of thousands of Multibit users so we canot offer personal support. Sorry.

Jim

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 10 minutes ago

MY RESPONSE:

I did that, I have almost 600 addressesw, I did them 1 by one, something is wrong.

All I ask is you to import the wallet into your end, and see if it works. For some reason, multibit sent the change to an address is my multibit client, but the priv key for that address does not appear in the exported file. Its really weird. I see the address that has my btc in it in my receive address list though in the program.

Please help me.....

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 10 minutes ago

NEXT RESPONSE I SENT TO JIM:

There is some kind of bug going on.

I sent .024 btc, and multi sent all my btc. It sent the .024 btc to the correct place, but it sent the rest to another address ( I guess a change address). I see the address in my receive addresses in multibit, and when I open my wallet file, my btc balance is correct. However, when I export my private keys, it exports almost 600 priv kets ( I have a lot of addresses) , but doe sNOT export the one for the change address.

Its .49 btc, its all I have. I have searched the internet and tried everything all night. Tried importing to blockchain one by one, and the address with my btc was not one of the 574ish private keys that exported. Still I see the address in my receive list on multibit.

Please look into this. Its like its an address that only multibit has the private key to, and will not give me.

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 9 minutes ago

FINAL RESPONSE I SENT TO DEV JIM:

I understand you have thousands of customers. So personalized support is not easy to happen.

But this is a serious bug, my bitcoin is gone now, and if you load the wallet file, you will see what happened! It might be baciuse I have hundreds of address in multibit. But I am telling you, I see the bitcoin and the address in mu client, but when I send, it never is seen by peers. Then when I refresh blockchain, it totally disappears. If I restart the client, it comes back, same thing happens. I see my bitcoin are still in the same address, when I look it up on blockchain.info.

And when I export the priv keys, it does NOT export the priv key of the change address multibit created. I hand enetered each addres (almost 600) one at a time, last night on blockchain.

This is all the bitcoin I had left. This is a serious issue.

Please look into this.

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 22 minutes ago

Here is a pic of my multibit wallet just taken..... proving multibit made this change address, and it is in my multibit client. Yet, it is not able to be sent, nor is it able to be exported and imported into another wallet/client.

http://imgur.com/hCNjxSf

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 6 minutes ago

Yes, it was more like importing 570ish address though, not 449. And yes, all were empty. It will not dump the priv key for the 1Ad address.

So yes, that is exactly correct. Posted a pic of the multibit client as I see it right this second, btc staring me in the face, unusable. :(

[–]wetseals[S] 1 point 4 minutes ago

And I did it one at a time. Went through the process 3 times....took like 2 hours each time. I didnt miss it. I know that much.

i'm the hours/days of effort put in for ten dollars

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
hes actually having problems recovering the change, which was 0.4985 butts. so more like $250 down the drain

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ymgve posted:

hes actually having problems recovering the change, which was 0.4985 butts. so more like $250 down the drain

nice thing about btc is that the longer he waits the less money he'll have lost

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, let me have a system where I have to transfer all my money out and then wait for the change to come back to buy some alpaca socks. That sounds reasonable.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

ElectricMucus posted:

That sort of thing happened before with namecoin. Price crashed and everybody abandoned mining it over the course of a week, leaving the true believers chucking along for months till the next difficulty adjustment. Altcoins have a faster downwards difficulty adjustment for this very reason.
I don't really see a reason why this can't happen with Butts, except there is no other thing you can use asic miners for, so perhaps if a crash is devastating enough it might happen. The sad thing about it is if that happens Butts would really be dead, so no more laffs after that biggie.

I think it would be far more gradual with Bitcoin mining, knowing the incredibly depressing amount of computational power they collectively throw towards it. Of course, if someone big with ~10% or more of the power decides all at once to scrap his operation, that would get the frisbee stuck at least a little while on the roof.

Actually, does anyone know off the top of their head how much longer transactions would become if 10%, 20%, 30%, etc of the network were to suddenly stop mining, get DDoS'd (lol), lose power, etc? That would be an interesting stat.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

"Warning" from Wells Fargo (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 54 minutes ago by pipets

Some of you may remember that recently Chase closed one guy's account because he purchased btc with it. Today I stopped by one of the WF branches in CA, and had a chance to briefly chat with the manager about btc. Basically I asked him, whether if I get into trouble if I purchase btc through my account, and he said "I can't tell you the answer right away right now. You could call the number on the back of your card and talk to the risk department people. But I warn you that just because you called them about bitcoin they might flag you already". WTF this supposed to mean...?

[–]icehog 0 points 22 minutes ago

Doesn't sound very legit.

Banks can't just shut down your account because they don't like what you're buying. If a court orders your account frozen, that is another matter.

[–]icehog -1 points 8 minutes ago

Not in the USA, bud.

lol they don't understand that banks are private businesses

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

u a 10? on mining difficulty maybe 'cause u an ASIC bitch

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

...! posted:

I hate typing all this stuff in to buy something online (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago by schism1

*First name:

*Last name:

*Address:

*City:

*State:

*Zip/Postal code:

*Email:

*Confirm email:

*Card number

*Ex

*CVV

After using Bitcoin it seems silly. Sites like Amazon keep my info so it easy there but I bought a couple pieces of software over the last few days and had to fill all that crap out just to get a download. Autofill does help some. Don't up vote just a rant.

i long for the day when writing down my address is the frustrating and stupid thing with which i have to deal

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Samsquamsch posted:

I think it would be far more gradual with Bitcoin mining, knowing the incredibly depressing amount of computational power they collectively throw towards it. Of course, if someone big with ~10% or more of the power decides all at once to scrap his operation, that would get the frisbee stuck at least a little while on the roof.

Actually, does anyone know off the top of their head how much longer transactions would become if 10%, 20%, 30%, etc of the network were to suddenly stop mining, get DDoS'd (lol), lose power, etc? That would be an interesting stat.

formula is basically 10 minutes divided by the fraction of hashing power remaining

if 1/2 of the hashing power remained, blocks would take 20 minutes on average
if 1/4 of the hashing power remained, blocks would take 40 minutes on average

until the next difficulty adjustment, that is

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
someone asked for a cleaned up version of the bitcoin bandit a while back

i made one for the shared office space iamafag guy too

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

HortonNash posted:

pay it or get raped in the showers...

don't loving do this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

trucutru posted:

Yes, let me have a system where I have to transfer all my money out and then wait for the change to come back to buy some alpaca socks. That sounds reasonable.

why is the change address different from the sending address? i guess i really dont know how the protocol works

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ElectricMucus posted:

bitcoin: tantric laffs until the big one

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive posted:

why is the change address different from the sending address? i guess i really dont know how the protocol works
what's he going to do with 600 addresses, NOT use them all?????

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

if u have an address with 1 btc and you buy .2btc worth of dusty strawberries, .2 gets sent to the dustberry merchant and .8 gets sent to a new address. ur wallet isnt one key, it's a way to keep track of a whole bunch of them. idk i kind of get crosseyed after that part

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's a reason why you don't just send the change back to the original address, but I've already forgotten it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

if u have an address with 1 btc and you buy .2btc worth of dusty strawberries, .2 gets sent to the dustberry merchant and .8 gets sent to a new address. ur wallet isnt one key, it's a way to keep track of a whole bunch of them. idk i kind of get crosseyed after that part

note: there is absolutely no need to do this. but a lot of bitcoin clients do it anyway because anonymity :downs:

pseudorandom name posted:

there's a reason why you don't just send the change back to the original address, but I've already forgotten it

wrong, there is none. you don't need to do the change part at all

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

i don't get it either, i'm just here for the laffs. i think if your bitcoin money is "all in one lump" you have to send the whole thing to the destination wallet, they chip a bit off, and send the change back??? or something. idk

edit: fishmeched

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Install Windows posted:

wrong, there is none. you don't need to do the change part at all

if you don't send the change anywhere it goes to the miners as the transaction fee. also no fees.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
its in the wiki i don't know what your problem is :rolleyes:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crust First posted:

if you don't send the change anywhere it goes to the miners as the transaction fee. also no fees.

no, that only applies to clients that mandate the change stuff

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Install Windows posted:

no, that only applies to clients that mandate the change stuff

no, it's part of the protocol, if you have a 2 BTC input and send 1 BTC somewhere, you end up with 1 BTC you have to specify as going somewhere, or else it becomes the fee. people lost bitcoins from brainwallets back before most brainwallet spending sites were coded to automatically send the change back to the sending address. "whoops, 99 BTC fee, hope the mining pool will give it back!"

Crust First fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 8, 2014

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
it's tommorow night and we still haven't gotten a concrete answer to what bitler is doing to the mining pool! goddamnit i expect bitcoin to be dead when i wake up.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Samsquamsch posted:

if you lost 50% of the network, block times would double to 20 minutes. if you lost 75% of the network, it'd be 40 minutes, etc.

also, difficulty readjustment is way simpler than everyone seems to think. it adjusts every 2016 blocks. every block includes a timestamp, the protocol looks at how long it took, in seconds, between the first of the blocks at the last difficulty and the last one and then figures out a multiplier. 2016 * 10 minutes * 60 seconds = 1209600 seconds difference, ideally. so if it took 1008000 seconds instead, it will say 1209600 / 1008000 = 1.2, the difficulty jumps by 20%.

also because bitcoin is stupid as hell, the timestamp on every block can be messed with as part of the nonce for the miners, but only +/- 5 minutes from the true time or so. it doesnt make a big difference over a full 2016 blocks, but still, what the hell was dorian thinking?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it's already dead inside, isn't that enough?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The way a bitcoin transaction works, you need to specify where all the coins in an address go, including if the coins are to "stay" in the address (get sent back to the same address) or go to a new change address. It's also impossible to spend from an address twice until the first transaction is confirmed (so if you have one private key with Bitcoins on it, buy something and forget to include a decent miner's fee, that address is unable to buy anything without initiating a double spend and invalidating either the first transaction or second). So it benefits a bitcoin user to have money split between several addresses. This isn't horribly convoluted because Satoshi.

The reference client, IIRC, defaulted to change addresses to try to mildly obfuscate people away from a single key.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fermun posted:

also because bitcoin is stupid as hell, the timestamp on every block can be messed with as part of the nonce for the miners, but only +/- 5 minutes from the true time or so. it doesnt make a big difference over a full 2016 blocks, but still, what the hell was dorian thinking?

allowance for computers that aren't perfectly synced to ntp servers to still mine, as well as allowing extra time for slow miners to work blocks out.

remember it was meant to be done with spare cpu cycles, not $50,000,000 of custom chips

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

TVarmy posted:

The way a bitcoin transaction works, you need to specify where all the coins in an address go, including if the coins are to "stay" in the address (get sent back to the same address) or go to a new change address. It's also impossible to spend from an address twice until the first transaction is confirmed (so if you have one private key with Bitcoins on it, buy something and forget to include a decent miner's fee, that address is unable to buy anything without initiating a double spend and invalidating either the first transaction or second). So it benefits a bitcoin user to have money split between several addresses. This isn't horribly convoluted because Satoshi.

The reference client, IIRC, defaulted to change addresses to try to mildly obfuscate people away from a single key.

*furrows brow*

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ok so what if i want to buy something with bitcoins and i'm a non technical woman or child

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Honked posted:

ok so what if i want to buy something with bitcoins and i'm a non technical woman or child

buy it with usd

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Install Windows posted:

buy it with usd

fiat dollers? unthinkable

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dr. Honked posted:

in glorious future libertopia there will be no women or children.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Dr. Honked posted:

women and (physical) children don't use bitcoin so this is a paradox.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Honked posted:

fiat dollers? unthinkable

just write GOLD IS MONEY on each bill exactly 7 times and it stops being fiat. #lifehacks

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Dr. Honked posted:

Bootstraps yourself a comp sci degree or work as a subsistence farmer or factory wage slave.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

...! posted:

As Princess Leia said to Governor Tarkin in Episode IV: “The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.”

same but with poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
gross

• Locked thread