Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Clouseau posted:

Daniel Biss selecting Ald Rosa and then kicking him off the ticket six days later is one of those spectacular errors that managed to piss off both the left and center wings of the party. He was already a long shot but doing something that dumb was baffling.

I don't even know why they're picking Lt. Gov this early, they run separately and are separate votes so its not like its gonna sway any voters to their side.

Oh poo poo, they changed that in 2014, its a joint ticket now, I totally missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thinking its about time for a new thread, this one's rather...dated. Any requests/suggestions for what should go in the OP?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest a summary of the recent two year budget battle, it's outcome and the outlook for the state based on that outcome.

A summary of how hosed the state's finances would be a good starter too.

And then a summary of the current gubernatorial candidates and their general positions vis-à-vis each other and Rauner.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That and then definitely a gif of a dumpster on fire

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just copy/paste Eric Allie cartoons until you black out and then post the thread

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

vyelkin posted:

Just copy/paste vokkerball posts until you black out and then post the thread

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I'd suggest a summary of the recent two year budget battle, it's outcome and the outlook for the state based on that outcome.

A summary of how hosed the state's finances would be a good starter too.
I want people to post and comment not commit suicide/move

God, just thinking about the loving budget makes me wanna drink.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'd like the map of every county that shows Chicago pays for itself in the OP

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Are the toll change rumors going around true? Like if the transponder isn't associated with the exact car after Jan 1st, it gets charged double?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hand Row posted:

Are the toll change rumors going around true? Like if the transponder isn't associated with the exact car after Jan 1st, it gets charged double?

Wait seriously

That's some bullshit

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got dinged for that four or so years ago. Old car totaled, used same transponder in new car, four months later they send me a $300 "fine" for not updating my car/plates in their system.

Who knows why they care, if the toll is paid, gently caress off. Probably a police data mining thing.

They also tried to fine me for not upgrading to a newer transponder. :iiam:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If you register your 18 wheeler as a sedan, I can see the point.

Otherwise, being so nitpicky is stupid, but probably cheaper than the better solution.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How do they expect that to work if you've got a rental for one reason or another

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

brugroffil posted:

How do they expect that to work if you've got a rental for one reason or another

Then you are supposed to use the rental company's transponder.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's just a way to generate revenue.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

xzzy posted:

I got dinged for that four or so years ago. Old car totaled, used same transponder in new car, four months later they send me a $300 "fine" for not updating my car/plates in their system.

Who knows why they care, if the toll is paid, gently caress off. Probably a police data mining thing.

They also tried to fine me for not upgrading to a newer transponder. :iiam:

Had this happen on a new car and appealed successfully after adding car to existing account. They got their toll money but no fines.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DalaranJ posted:

Seconding this; probably the most important thing to have as a not-Chicagoan.

Also maybe a two-sentence description of why Madigan hates Rauner, why Rauner hates Madigan, and which one is a bad person. (Okay, maybe this doesn't actually belong in the OP, but it's all my Central Illinois co-workers talk about and I have no clue anymore; maybe everyone sucks)

Edit: Comedy Option: A list of states I should consider moving to (just kidding, climate and employment will dictate this when I'm ready)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zarin posted:

Also maybe a two-sentence description of why Madigan hates Rauner, why Rauner hates Madigan, and which one is a bad person. (Okay, maybe this doesn't actually belong in the OP, but it's all my Central Illinois co-workers talk about and I have no clue anymore; maybe everyone sucks)

They're both bad but Rauner is far worse

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't pick a dog in that fight.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's like comparing a mob boss and a serial killer.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Zarin posted:

Edit: Comedy Option: A list of states I should consider moving to (just kidding, climate and employment will dictate this when I'm ready)

Climate change is probably going to make Chicago a pretty decent place to live. When the water wars start, we'll be beating people back so we can have our fresh water reserves for ourselves.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
holy poo poo Lisa madigan and currie both retiring is insane

maybe madigans waiting on durbins seat but wow. she'd have been a better choice than pritzker or Kennedy but isn't going to run against them

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 15, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Climate change is probably going to make Chicago a pretty decent place to live. When the water wars start, we'll be beating people back so we can have our fresh water reserves for ourselves.

Sea level rise wont affect us, warmer year round but not blazingly hot, plenty of fresh water. Too bad about the inevitable hyper tornados and foreigners bringing their gotdang ketchup

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

Sea level rise wont affect us, warmer year round but not blazingly hot, plenty of fresh water. Too bad about the inevitable hyper tornados and foreigners bringing their gotdang ketchup

Droughts and monsoons will affect us as it drives all the farmers out of business and the Great Corn Desert just becomes a desert.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

Droughts and monsoons will affect us as it drives all the farmers out of business and the Great Corn Desert just becomes a desert.

Nonsense. There's enough Asian carp to feed forgottonia for generations if the Mississippi dries.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
hahaha shout out to the ILGOP

quote:

“Today’s announcement is a clear indication of what we’ve know for months: Erika Harold is an exceptionally strong candidate. So strong, in fact, that Lisa Madigan has decided she doesn’t want to run a campaign for re-election.

I'm crying :laffo:

Like she's not about to just saunter into Durbin's seat.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Gimme linky.

quote:

Madigan hates Rauner because he's an idiot CEO who came in thinking he just bought the place in a hostile takeover and had no political experience. Rauner (and everyone else) hates Madigan because he's been the power behind the throne in Illinois for the last 40 some odd years basically, is pretty much Central Casting's idea of a corrupt Chicago pol, and is good enough at both to have escaped prosecution for any shady poo poo he's done.

(Well OK, Rauner hates him because he knows what's he doing politically and is really really pissed government doesn't run like a business and Madigan's right there every day to rub his face in that fact).

Actual article for Madigan's not seeking reelection announcement (she's totally running for Durbin's seat)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

hahaha shout out to the ILGOP

I'm crying :laffo:

Like she's not about to just saunter into Durbin's seat.

Erika Harold is the beauty queen who ran for that weasel Tim Johnsons' seat right?
Yup. 13th district. Bleah.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why is Tim Johnson a weasel? besides living with two ex wives and a current wife all at once
oh and stealing fruit bowls every morning
oh and borrowing a VCR in the 80s and returning it half an hour later

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

why is Tim Johnson a weasel? besides living with two ex wives and a current wife all at once
oh and stealing fruit bowls every morning
oh and borrowing a VCR in the 80s and returning it half an hour later

Don't forget this One Neat Trick; Lawmakers HATE Him!

quote:

Back in 1980, when he was one of the newer members of the Illinois House, State Representative Timothy V. Johnson, a Republican from the Champaign-Urbana area, rigged a paper clip so that it held the ''Yes'' voting button on his desk in the down position. When a picture of the clip hit the newspapers, he first denied installing it but later backtracked, saying such rigs were ''accepted practice'' in the legislature and enabled members to vote on legislation even when absent from the House chamber, especially at times when votes were called while members were meeting with constituents or working on other pressing matters.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Haha he rules.

The one weird trick he actually did that helped was buy a car phone right when they debuted, and on his drives to Springfield would go down a list of voters in his district and call them at home asking if they had concerns. Doing that for twenty years prior to running for congress went a really, really long way .

also Erika Harold can take the hot AG crown now that Kamala is in Congress. I'm sure Trump would have even choicer words for Harold than Obama/Harris

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Oracle posted:

Gimme linky.

Thanks.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I have a friend who is a New Jersey/New York area-based tax auditor for the Illinois Department of Revenue who told me nonchalantly that Illinois hasn't reimbursed him in the last 2-3 years - sounds like a sweet gig.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

She's deffo got her sights on something higher:

""As I look ahead, I believe that the end of my fourth term as Attorney General will be the right time for me to seek a new challenge," Madigan said. "I have dedicated my career to helping people. That will continue to be my focus, and I am looking forward to finding new ways to do that with the passion that I have brought to my work as Attorney General."

but Durbin is second-in-command for Senate Dems and I don't see him leaving anytime soon. Why do you think she's gonna run for that spot rather than IL gov?

Like, she'd be perfect for the gov race; the only woman among a bunch of guys in the dem primary + her name; her dad's might behind her; a pretty good record as AG. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat in the primary over the two Who Wants to Be a Billionaire candidates + Biss, and I'd prolly vote for her over Pawar, too.

eta from trib piece:

quote:

Last month, Madigan sued the city of Chicago, contending Emanuel's reforms are not sufficient to prevent the Chicago Police Department from continuing a pattern of deadly and excessive force that disproportionately hurts African-Americans and Latinos.

Her move effectively pushes Emanuel toward acknowledging he will have to accept a federal judge's oversight of the Police Department, a still-to-be-negotiated agreement that likely will cost the city millions of dollars in reforms and run for several years.

:hellyeah:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 16, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought she said she wouldn't run for Governor as long as her Dad is in power and her Dad seems to like power more than his daughter.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I think everyone expected Mike to retire before Lisa. This session broke a ton of pols , like 1/5th of the assembly is quitting

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I thought she said she wouldn't run for Governor as long as her Dad is in power and her Dad seems to like power more than his daughter.

This. It would bring a huge outcry about nepotism and collusion and invite investigations etc. Also I think she's backing Kennedy? Could be wrong about that. What other positions could she run for? When's Chicago's mayoral election?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mike Madigan is 75; maybe he's getting ready to retire? Durbin's 73, but he did have cancer a few years ago so maybe Lisa has some inside track on his retiring. But Durbin's one step away from Schumer's spot and I can't see his retirement in the cards unless it's health-related. Plus his term's not up till 2020.

I guess Lisa could run for U.S. Rep... what's her home district and who's the incumbent?

eta: Has Kennedy announced his pick for lt. gov? That could be a spot for her, but would be risky given the dynamics of the dem primary. I think she'd have a better shot at going for the top spot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Mike Madigan is 75; maybe he's getting ready to retire? Durbin's 73, but he did have cancer a few years ago so maybe Lisa has some inside track on his retiring. But Durbin's one step away from Schumer's spot and I can't see his retirement in the cards unless it's health-related. Plus his term's not up till 2020.
I want to say I heard rumblings last year about Durbin's thinking about stepping down; that was before Trump of course so who the hell knows. Madigan'll die in the traces; I don't think he'll ever retire.

quote:

I guess Lisa could run for U.S. Rep... what's her home district and who's the incumbent?
She lives in Chicago, Jan Schakowsky's (most reliably Dem district in the nation I think) 9th. 10th is a closer race usually 52/48 but currently held by an incumbent Dem (Schneider).

quote:

eta: Has Kennedy announced his pick for lt. gov? That could be a spot for her, but would be risky given the dynamics of the dem primary. I think she'd have a better shot at going for the top spot.
Yep; Ra Joy.

quote:

Democratic Gubernatorial candidate Chris Kennedy formally announced his pick for Lieutenant Governor Thursday morning, confirming CHANGE Illinois Executive Director Ra Joy as his running mate after several news outlets first broke the story. CHANGE Illinois is a coalition group that advocates for redistricting reform, automatic voter registration, and other electoral reforms. Joy was also executive director of Arts Alliance Illinois, and served as deputy director and grants coordinator for Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky. He’s also a a member of The City of Chicago’s Cultural Advisory Council and The Economic Club of Chicago.

Both Joy and Kennedy have had deep experiences with gun violence. Joy’s son, 23 year-old Xavier, was shot and killed in Woodlawn in June. Kennedy is the nephew of President John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated in 1963, and the son of Robert F. Kennedy, who was assassinated in 1968 during his presidential run.
That anti-gun stance'll play really well outside Chicago *sigh*.

Hell, maybe she's running for President. She's been mentioned before on short lists of possible female Presidential candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
She lives in the 5th CD, (Quigley)

I've heard about Durbin stepping down since 2014, but the successor used to be Mike Frerichs.