Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I honestly just don't use Orlandu because he renders so many characters irrelevant that it just feels like cheating. The weirdest bit is how you get Meliadoul after Orlandu despite her moveset being entirely redundant with his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Tulip posted:

Ha! I'd been wondering about that.

Is that sentry bug established or new? I could have sworn I did that a bunch without trouble but I might be misremembering.

Established one, something to do with nothing being in the area to target.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that this post is months old, but I just saw it.

I have had the same issue. I have never been able to find a PS1 emulator that's user friendly and works consistently.
Oddly, I just have problems with ePSXe. There's just something about it. Like I said, I primarily play PSX on either BizHawk or DuckStation and they both work completely fine.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Celdia posted:

So if anyone wanted to try playing CCP2 with Magic Blade skills and Swordskills that actually work off of MA instead of PA, I finally got the update you're looking for.

In this episode, Agrias can shine just a little bit brighter.

This is a very welcome birthday present that shall not go unforgotten.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Celdia posted:

Established one, something to do with nothing being in the area to target.

Huh, alright. I am ignorant enough about programming that the most I can do is hope you can fix it and also when I eventually start another run of CCP I will try to avoid it.

e oops

Tulip fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 17, 2021

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh hey, this is still going on! I thought the thread was locked for some reason and was afraid it was abandoned. I freely admit this is a great LP and made me do something I haven't done in a long while, namely binge-read the whole thing over a few evenings.

Also Celdia, I've been following your comments too and I must say that from what I've seen (i.e. I have yet to patch CCP2 onto my image and actually play it) the amount of thought put into the design and execution is very impressive. And reading the 1.3 LP thread and seeing some of its bullshit made me appreciate your mod even more.

Tulip posted:

Another point for CCP is that *spoilers about T.G.Cid's skills*
I don't think we've seen Cid in this LP yet?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 17, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ah gently caress, got sloppy, edited my post please edit this one

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Very excited for the MA change. Last run got stuck at the first fight in chapter 4. Generics that synergize are no joke

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just started playing version 2. I forgot how much neat stuff you made, Celdia. You've got quite a creative mind.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I just started playing version 2. I forgot how much neat stuff you made, Celdia. You've got quite a creative mind.

I do have a habit of creating some silliness. My latest project started as trying to get into using the tools again and get up to speed with the newer ones and that's actually been going well. Just pulled a hard-left in the planning/development though and changed the idea for it from a minimalist difficulty hack with FF1 influences to just going all-in on FF1 silliness in the CCP-style. If it doesn't turn into CCP3 before I'm done with it, it'll be probably be a miracle.

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
'Oly poo poo, the LP is back! Glad to see you girls again, this LP was a wonderful insightful read before and I am glad we'll be getting more of it, and probably more of Rad's adventures in suicidal behavior, I put a vote for Stream Riovannes on the condition you upload the VOD to YT because lord knows I'll manage to miss the stream

The technical info is both really interesting, and goes right over my head, good luck with CCP 2.5.F.F.1 Celdia, the question becomes, will you finish that before Roselie finishes this? Find out eventually, IN THIS THREAD! :P

But seriously this poo poo is amazing and I await the inevitable release and/or LP of your new patch Celdia

Cloudmonkey98 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 14, 2021

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Cloudmonkey98 posted:

'Oly poo poo, the LP is back! Glad to see you girls again, this LP was a wonderful insightful read before and I am glad we'll be getting more of it, and probably more of Rad's adventures in suicidal behavior, I put a vote for Stream Riovannes on the condition you upload the VOD to YT because lord knows I'll manage to miss the stream

The technical info is both really interesting, and goes right over my head, good luck with CCP 2.5.F.F.1 Celdia, the question becomes, will you finish that before Roselie finishes this? Find out eventually, IN THIS THREAD! :P

Well uh about that...

quote:

But seriously this poo poo is amazing and I await the inevitable release and/or LP of your new patch Celdia

It isn't a 100% finished product because I expect to do more bugfixing and there's a good bit of text that needs to be formatted and changed from bland vanilla values, but the latest update is pretty solid and ready for download/playtesting. No more waiting for that needed.

FFT: Honored v.010

Forgive the blatant self-promotion, I just felt that some folks here might be interested.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. :D

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Imagine thinking that people wouldn't want to see cool mod maker's cool related mod. couldn't be me! that is to say i am looking forward to getting into this!!!!!!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 29, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Celdia posted:

Well uh about that...

It isn't a 100% finished product because I expect to do more bugfixing and there's a good bit of text that needs to be formatted and changed from bland vanilla values, but the latest update is pretty solid and ready for download/playtesting. No more waiting for that needed.

Forgive the blatant self-promotion, I just felt that some folks here might be interested.

nah you're cool. I actually started on an update finally (yay depression!) the other day so we should be getting yugioh woods soon as long as I don't keep getting distracted by other games (Endwalker what?).

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Rosalie_A posted:

nah you're cool. I actually started on an update finally (yay depression!) the other day so we should be getting yugioh woods soon as long as I don't keep getting distracted by other games (Endwalker what?).

:dance:

I've gone back and re-read this thread like 3 or 4 times now while brainstorming and taking notes for CCP3 (which is very much not FFT:Honored, it is a wholly separate project as Honored was a test run to see if I could remember how to use the modding tools and get acclimated to the new stuff I'd missed being out of the modding community for so many years) and your analyses of my previous work is proving to be an excellent guiding tool while I'm dreaming new poo poo up. I am perpetually eager to see what you think of the rest of it yet to come and learning what I can from that expert outside opinion of yours. Something very hard to do as someone designing a mod (or any game, really) is being able to see your work from not your own perspective. While it's occasionally humbling and painful to have some clear missteps in design pointed out, that kind of feedback is absolutely critical to the process of making anything better.

In the meantime though... :f5h::f5:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Rosalie_A posted:

I’m gonna have to play FFT again, huh?

What do you do with the unique NPCs that join up? A preview of their skills would be neat. Is Agris’s sword skills fixed to use MA?

This mod sounds sick as hell.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is anyone playing the latest War of the Lions patch for the PSX version? I've always wanted a New Game+ for this game. I'm currently working on a playthrough with Malak and Rafa only (with a Palom/Porom theme) and having a blast

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Celdia posted:

Well uh about that...

All monsters have their fourth skill unlocked by default with no changes?

I'm terrified of Great Morbols now. Yes, I know there's only one location they can possibly show up outside the Deep Dungeon and it's a random encounter. Still scared.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rosalie_A posted:

Great news! I heard Endwalker is pretty good, so I understand you getting distracted. I'm just super glad that the LP hasn't been abandoned, take all the time you need for your next update :)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Celdia posted:

Well uh about that...

Oh hell yes. I'd kind of want to LP this though it'd have to wait for me to clean up some other bullshit in my life.

Rosalie_A posted:

Oh hell yes!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

Oh hell yes. I'd kind of want to LP this though it'd have to wait for me to clean up some other bullshit in my life.

Oh hell yes!

More Celdia FFT LPs are always welcome around here.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

nine-gear crow posted:

More Celdia FFT LPs are always welcome around here.

:emptyquote:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So I'm going to be getting the images for this update uploaded when I wake up because it is way too late for me to remember how to configure ShareX (yes I just have a file to import I'm trying to be good about sleeping).

In the meantime though, while cleaning up I noticed something funny. My previous attempt at Yuguo Woods (which was sparse on screenshots because I thought I was recording and sparse on recording because I thought I was recording), from a decent while back (don't ask me when I'll feel guilty) had this at the end:

But now, as I'm going through my screenshots for what I'm posting later today, I see it ends on this:

yes spoilers I won

Did something change with the War Trophies between patches, or do they just work weird based on whatever the hell?

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

Rosalie_A posted:

I'm trying to be good about sleeping

Good. Everything will still be there when you wake up. Take care of you first. :D

Rosalie_A posted:

Did something change with the War Trophies between patches, or do they just work weird based on whatever the hell?

Entirely possible. Anytime I would update anything I'd go through and tweak poo poo here and there and since I don't know what note-taking is and I care even less about it with how old this project is, it is not only possible but likely I went in and hosed with stuff like pointless-ENTD rewards or even absolutely busted ones that made no sense or were legacy vanilla data values I never got around to updating and other poo poo like that. That or you're patching dirty and it hosed up something subtly, but that kind of thing usually results in everything breaking spectacularly.

Also, while I'm here:

The 'Synth Shop' hack was being fucky because I misunderstood some variables being used by it and pretty much every shop-access flag for weapon was set absolutely wrong (0x00 != 0xFF, no matter how badly I want it to) so things were all accessible WAY before they're supposed to be and enemies would spawn in Ch1 with endgame weapons and poo poo. I got that straightened out and now the Synth Shop ("Crafters' Guild" in-game) works seemingly flawlessly. Unless you're using something like Duckstation or, uhh... BeetlePSX I think. I do know PCSX ReARMed (via RetroArch) works like a loving charm though so FFT:Honored is already like 1000x more accessible than CCP2 ever was. Enjoy!

Celdia fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I always enjoy FF1 hacks, Celdia. Keep us posted. You're a legend.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Update 46: Yuguo Woods

What do you mean, that's not Yuguo Woods?

Look, I had to make sure I hadn't broken anything.

First, with applying the updated patch.

Second, with loading the game and my save.

How would I have issues there? Have I moved computers or such?

No, I was just at my in-laws and felt like playing CCP instead of socializing. Not that they do a very good job of socializing with me: something about being a really quiet nerd with very particular interests makes it hard to hold a conversation. This isn't a bad thing: we just get along in comfortable silence.

Well, most of us. The dogs are loud. Some people like loud dogs, and I don't understand them.

Anyway, so while I was there I decided I was sick of putting up with ePSXe's bullshit, and was trying to see if I could get CCP to load on another emulator.

I'll skip to the end: no such luck. Unfortunately some zeroes and ones are instead ones and zeroes and anything that actually encounters a fatal error when a physical PS1 would and doesn't go "lol let's just keep going" doesn't load battles.

I narrowed it down with a debugger and found out it's something about loading music, I think? I briefly considered seeing if I could fix it and then realized that while I'm passingly familiar with 65816 ASM I'm less so with the PS1's MIPS and it wouldn't quite be biting off more than I could chew so much as attempting to swallow the whole drat feast without so much as a jaw movement.

Was still tempted, though. Restarting ePSXe every time I die or else the sound plays at like triple speed and the fact that it has no "recently loaded files" menu is a real pain.

Anyway, so after some time I ended up exactly where I started. At this point I'd gone so hard into trying to play the drat game that I wasn't going to metaphorically walk away figuratively empty handed (i.e. sit at the exact same spot on the exact same computer and just play a different game) so I loaded things up anyway to get my finger back in the vibe of screenshotting (I was too lazy to bring up a recording).

I mentioned a new patch. Celdia, bless her, has continued working on things and made a few changes. Most relevantly are two things: one, apparently Brawler skills saw a bit of a buff because well look at my comments about Bum Rush.

More importantly, Swordskills are now MA-based.

Yes, this does mean that Dragoon Agrias is a bit less of a crazy combo. Though, honestly? That was kind of crazy. MA scaling seems slightly less degenerate, and Dragon Skill still has Fireball and Dragon Form which I presume are MA based due to the animations. Dragon Valor still scales Jump, so this doesn't make Dragoon Agrias a nonbo; just...more multifaceted.

Anyway, so Yuguo Woods. This screenshot is of the Tower Shield (picked up as a War Trophy at some point) being swapped with the Red Cape. The Tower Shield is 40% Evade on both sides at the cost of -2 PA and MA. Obviously, a fun tool to play with. For whatever reason, the stat preview freaks out at this. The actual stats upon switching are correct, but there were a few fun things I saw (one swap with something, I forget what, showed a preview of +6 Jump upon switching equipment).

Oh, and before you say anything, the one person who's looking this closely: yes, that's a Red Cape. That's for demonstration purposes: it still gives +1 MA. Lavian gets equipped properly with the Lantern Shield and its +1 PA. Happy now?

What does any of this have to do with Yuguo Woods?

Not a drat thing. Why?

Because Yuguo Woods is hard to make interesting without completely redefining and recontextualizing its central gimmick. By this I mean the story mission, not the map proper. There's tons of fun setups you could do with the map itself, since the arena is small and constrained but with a complicated offering of sight lines and difficult jump heights.

The story mission, though? It's undead.

Without fundamentally changing how FFT undead work or restricting the player's access to curative abilities, undead are still killed by a single Phoenix Down.

Ghosts and undead mages.

Not that different from vanilla, other than the fact that monster MA scaling means ghosts hit terrifyingly hard now.

If you've forgotten, they have Innate Blink, rendering them highly resistent to a large number of attacks that use conventional damage formulae.

I did say conventional. Phoenix Mortar isn't conventional.

This undead Black Mage generated with Sorcery and a Wand. This may have been set as opposed to luck, but in any event is still a NUKE aimed at Agrias.

You'll note the job is named "Spirit Mage"

The description is unchanged from vanilla, but it does lead to an interesting aside. The Undead Mages you fight in a few battles are actually completely bespoke human jobs with their own set of stat scaling, innates, equips, all that. Like not that FFT is lacking for free space to insert your own nonsense into thanks to all the cutscene only jobs and such but if you wanted to you could totally hijack these slots and just make an unacquirable accessory that gives Maintenance, Float, and Undead and slap that on a regular enemy Time Mage or Black Mage

Well, you could if they existed. You'll note that Black Mage and Time Mage do not exist as such in CCP. Which makes these SPOOOKY mages actually feel kind of spooky and otherworldly.

Also, I lied. Black Magic apparently contains NUKE, a fact which would be far more surprising were it not just a renamed Flare with a cast requirement.

None of this is a criticism, by the way. It's fascinating to poke and prod at games to see what happens when you look behind the curtain.

Some people may feel this takes away from the mystique. They're wrong, both in my opinion and in absolute fact (and you won't convince me otherwise).

What games (and indeed, any creative work) can make us feel is fascinating. Bringing about any emotion -- even abject hatred -- is no small accomplishment (though the hatred is somewhat less impressive if accidental).

Similarly, the skills and creativity that go into making things: those are fascinating and beautiful in their own way.

But it's the interplay between the two: how the mechanics create a feeling, how the art evokes thought, how the controls express a story; that's the real magic.

Take this fight here. Mechanically, Yuguo Woods is supposed to throw you off. A collection of all undead enemies changes the calculus. By pure action economy, it's best to focus fire one enemy down at a time. The problem is, undead can raise themselves on a coinflip when they'd crystallize/boxillize. Because Reraise type effects take place immediately, an enemy that reraises (used lowercase because it's not literally the Reraise status) only has its actions delayed, not removed. They're always going to get one free shot, and hey, maybe it can't do much. After all, strategic play is what the FFT AI is famously bad at.

But that's okay. You can't plan for the future when you've just come back in the middle of battle with 10% HP. The only rational thing to do is to forget about any future actions, and take this one as a bonus and maximize its effectiveness.

Now, maximizing the effect of a singular action...where have we heard that before?

Oh yeah, right. It's the thing the FFT AI is famously good at.

Now, does this change the gameplan for Yuguo Woods? Maybe, maybe not. Does it make you re-evaluate it, in case this new paradigm means your strategy and tactics must adapt?

Absolutely.

And I arrive at my point the same way Agrias arrived at her Seal Evil miss: awkwardly timed.

The mechanics of Yuguo Woods aren't, in and of themselves, interesting. Oh no it's undead gotta throw healing spells.

How's that Blink helping you when it's designed to not affect healing and healing spells reverse on Undead which is almost but not quite the same thing as damaging them?

Personally, that's the funniest poo poo we can get.

Told you the Seal Evil miss was awkwardly timed. It's because it hadn't happened yet. Anyway, my point: Yuguo Woods's mechanics aren't interesting. The fact that it makes you think twice isn't interesting either: theoretically the entire game should be making you think.

But the interaction: how it makes you think, why it makes you think. That's the magic. The same goes for the emotional feeling of the map. By keeping in Black Mages and Time Mages, Celdia has accomplished making the forest filled with creepy unknowable ghostly things feel to the player akin to what the characters would feel: different, otherworldly, wrong. Wrong in a way that's hard to articulate at first, with just several repetitions of "that's not how things work" before being able to articulate why the speaker belives that is so.

Which, speaking of.

Weird how my reaction was "that's not how things work" to this.

I mean, Phoenix Mortar should have been lethal, right?

Update 33 posted:

Also, Undead stops normal revival methods. Yeah. Because Resurrection and friends come with a healing component which gets reversed, the move is canceled entirely. Phoenix Mortar, because it just cancels the Dead status and nothing else, works fine.

I knew, through experience, that Phoenix Mortar does not obey the standard healing rules when it comes to Undead.

So that's an oopsie-whoopsie. I should have known better, but forgot.

And no, the time since then isn't an excuse. It would be for most people, but I have a sickenenly good memory for trivia stuff like this in games I like.

One time I tried out the FF6 Worlds Collide randomizer with a friend and let her know that there was an Illumina in the chest that normally has the Main Gauche. Neither of us had played the vanilla game in close to a decade, so of course not only did she not remember what chest that was, she didn't even know it was there, or even remember what the weapon was.

Despite me specifically making sure to use the name she'd be familiar with since she only played the Advance translation.

So it is with zero attempt at dumb bragging when I say I should have remembered.

You should be laughing at me. I am. It's pretty drat funny!

Potion Mortar's formula really has some lategame scaling issues. Munitions has some of the same problems that Dance does in vanilla: the unchanging charge times are too strong early on because of how fast they are, and too slow later to be of use, while the formulae are incredibly strong early on and much weaker later.

Unlike Dance, however, Munitions may yet be saved by Quick Casting. Quick Casting Flashbang Mortar sounds like a delight: unlike the rest of the skillset, Flashbang Mortar scales in value as the status duration is fixed but Speed stats go up, resulting in more turns affected by a single action.

It's just, you know, I don't know if it works with Quick Casting, and I'm not sure if I want to run Musashi around in Sorcerer enough to find out.

I officially don't know what the scaling on the Ghost's abilities are but I think it might be a bit too much.

Though is it? We've covered that it's really easy to one hit kill undead (don't analyze that phrase too much). This just turns it into mutual rocket tag and there's nothing wrong with that once in a while. Yuguo Woods is well setup for it, too, with the cramped corridors and constrained sightlines. It's adding a dash of FPS to the SRPG in a rather pleasing way.

I mean, I wouldn't want an entire game like that, but as a one-off gimmick? Yeah, it's cool. Win or lose, it'll be done quickly.

Yes, Agrias survived that. Heavy armor is no joke in CCP.

Neither is Shining Stab. Unlike everyone else, Ramza is just pushing through Blink with raw power. Strong weapon, high MA, hitting a weakness...even nullifying what, 80, 90% of the damage or whatever it is Blink does isn't enough at that point without the HP stat to back it up.

Rafa's randomagic healing is perfect here! The terrain means there's few tile options, and even weak healing will push through Blink.

Agrias, having no time for any of this, shield blocks a mage thinking to fight her physically. I will never get sick of clutch shield blocks. They just look and sound so good.

Just like Wild Healing is perfect for this, so is the Champion's Smite. It appears to give zero (0) damns about Blink, so this-

-you knew this was coming I'm like garfield dumb and predictable but still you laugh.

still you laugh.

Yes it only rolled for one hit. Again, you knew this was coming.

I can't vary my joke setups that much. I'm not that funny or clever.

But then, you don't need to be clever when you've got overwhelming might.

A statement that would have punctuated much harder if Rafa going down were a loss in this fight. Since that's not the case, instead the drama goes away like any sense of difficulty this map had.

yeah, look at that, tied it all back.

By the way, did you notice something about this update?

Can you figure out what it is?

No, it's not the profit on Phoenix Down I made though that is funny.

Give up?

Next time, on Celdia's Complete Patch

Can you believe I went that entire update without a Yu-gi-oh! joke?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

Ovelia screaming random poo poo like she's high on meth and is gonna stab someone with a beer bottle remains the best part of this LP.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I don't think I'm ever going to be able to play FFT again without hacking Ovelia in, not gonna lie.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really do love your lp style; the conversational tone punctuated by images and revealing incredibly insightful commentary.

Welcome back! It's good to see you again.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Welcome back, good to see you back in the saddle, so to speak.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Hell yes and welcome back, closing out the year strong.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I got to the end of the post and was literally "Holy gently caress, we're STILL not at Riovanes yet?" and then I remembered it's been like two years. I am also incredibly happy to see this LP back and kicking rear end.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I got to the end of the post and was literally "Holy gently caress, we're STILL not at Riovanes yet?" and then I remembered it's been like two years. I am also incredibly happy to see this LP back and kicking rear end.

Getting a real job did a number on my mental stability. Which is to say, it turns out that the restrictions imposed on my life with a big kid 9-5 (especially once it stayed that way when we went remote which is, in retrospect, baffling) job made me too depressed to handle a lot of stuff and I only realized a couple of months ago.

This update coming to be and my state of unemployment don't line up by coincidence.

(i'm fine, my wife and I read the writing on the wall a while ago and made savings and preparations because we're privileged fucks who get to do that sort of thing and so being out of a job is more of a temporary inconvenience as opposed to a disaster)

But I am getting loving Riovanes and the rest of this done or I'm dying by giant meteor first. Which, I admit, will make this post simultaneously tragic and hilarious should that ever come to pass but hey then I'm still brightening days.

Celdia
Feb 3, 2019

Friendly Neighborhood
White Mage

JustJeff88 posted:

I always enjoy FF1 hacks, Celdia. Keep us posted. You're a legend.

Can do! FF:CRASH is my FF1 mod and it's over on RHDN. As for Honored, v.011 got fucky with some missed stuff in Ch.1 so it started up as a bit of a clusterfuck still, but I put v.012 up today so that should take care of things there. (I hope.)

Rosalie_A posted:

:dance::dance::dance: Sheeeee's baaaaaaaaaack~ :dance::dance::dance:

Rosalie_A posted:

I narrowed it down with a debugger and found out it's something about loading music, I think?
Not wrong, but it wasn't just music... it was everything. The way a lot of old hacks from FFHacticks were written was without hardware support taken into consideration - that is to say, no one cared if it would run on an actual Playstation. Burning playable discs wasn't exactly a common activity for many people wanting to pick up and play a romhack, so emulation was the way to go. I don't recall the exact state of PSX emulation in 2010-ish but the ones I used personally were either psxfin (it's a debugger that doesn't give many fucks what you throw at it or how, it just GOES) and ePSXe (as noted previously in this thread also doesn't much care about accuracy.) The big issue though is "load delay" which the PSX hardware needs to account for because the timing of how it processes its assembly code was actually super important. Early hacks didn't take that load delay into account but it didn't matter because neither did the emulators. As the years have passed, emulation has focused on being more accurate to the original hardware, and thus CCP2 is a goddamned clusterfuck of making newer emulators (and by extension, original hardware too) choke by literally forcing too much data down their digital throats at once.

I have tried ridiculously hard to make sure my new project, FFT: Honored, does not have this issue. Older emulators will of course run it no problem. The only 'modern' emulator that current runs all of its new content without issue though that I've found is PCSX ReARMed which can be run through current RetroArch builds and for now I'm taking that as an accessibility win. Edit: Scratch that. The Orbonne event at game start seems to crash that loving thing now... I might have a fix for that later if it's a common issue with that though.

Rosalie_A posted:

Now, does this change the gameplan for Yuguo Woods? Maybe, maybe not. Does it make you re-evaluate it, in case this new paradigm means your strategy and tactics must adapt? Absolutely.

This is generally another one of my design ideals from when I was making both CCP and CCP2: "I want to make veteran players have to think." Occasionally that became a bit of "I want to make veteran players have to reset when they see what's on the field" which admittedly sounds a bit more immature but I'm not sure how to do a short summary of the idea that I wanted to put players that knew the game VERY well already out of their comfort zone and need to not just "bring Chemists with Item and Phoenix Down to Yuguo" as a relevant example. Those of us that know the vanilla game well know plenty of ways to just cheese the setups of those battles, so I tried to make them more interesting and more challenging in ways that weren't overbearingly difficult but would essentially make a seasoned FFT player do a double-take and then stop to think and maybe go back and re-arrange their default team build before successfully progressing in the game. After all, it isn't all Two Swords Monks anymore.

Rosalie_A posted:

This just turns it into mutual rocket tag and there's nothing wrong with that once in a while.

:sweatdrop: Uhhh, yeah... about that... Reasons CCP 2nd is titled as a "Beta" is because the second half of the game really lacking polish and balance. If you end up in a few more rounds of rocket tag, I apologize in advance.

Celdia fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 31, 2021

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Celdia posted:

:sweatdrop: Uhhh, yeah... about that... Reasons CCP 2nd is titled as a "Beta" is because the second half of the game really lacking polish and balance. If you end up in a few more rounds of rocket tag, I apologize in advance.

Huh. I got stuck on the first fight in chapter 4. I figured that was the “the gloves are off now” moment. Clearly you just hadn’t balanced it. :v:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Awesome to see this is still going. Depression sucks, I totally understand needing to take a break, and I really hope you continue to be in a good place going forwards...but the detailed breakdowns of the strategy make this one of the more entertaining LP threads out there and I really hope that it does eventually make it to the end.

Naramyth posted:

Huh. I got stuck on the first fight in chapter 4. I figured that was the “the gloves are off now” moment. Clearly you just hadn’t balanced it. :v:
I also blame the devs whenever I fail, clearly our Friendly Neighborhood White Mage is to blame here. :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh a bunch of new posts, I guess there's been some random shitposting to keep the thread ali...

whatdoyoumeananactualupdatewhatsgoingonwhatplanetisthis

:aaaaa:

IT'S ALIVE!!! :neckbeard:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Woop woop! Hell yes!

Celdia posted:

Its somewhat hard to avoid. There's a fair amount of "save or suck" options in FFT's design and those mean you have a rocket tag design already before you even look at damage numbers.

Rosalie_A posted:

Getting a real job did a number on my mental stability. Which is to say, it turns out that the restrictions imposed on my life with a big kid 9-5 (especially once it stayed that way when we went remote which is, in retrospect, baffling) job made me too depressed to handle a lot of stuff and I only realized a couple of months ago.

This update coming to be and my state of unemployment don't line up by coincidence.

Ah jeeze yeah. I get that. My current job situation basically takes my brain and drops it in a wood chipper.

Anyway! I wrote up my own experiences with battles a long time ago as I was playing a long. I tried to keep them short since this is really Rosalie's show

Yuguo Woods: five players plus Rafa. Left side of the map is made of Stone Floors, which Petrify, so excellent option for some Baners. Highest HP enemy are the Wizards with 170ish. Their MP pools are disgusting. Not confident what Black and Time Magic are, though maybe they’re just the Vanilla powers. One Wraith has 10 speed, the others have 9, all other enemies have 8. For this I took Ramza (Vanquisher/Hero focused on speed and independence), Agrias (Demagogue with Holy Knight secondary), Bridgette (Red Mage/Sorceror, so general purpose warmage), Marlene (Sorceror/Green Mage, main buffer), and Nielson (Sorceror/Butler, mostly a Butler trying to get some sweet support skills). This wound up being incredibly fast and brutal - my game plan was to create a buffing cluster and Bane everybody off the map, but after only a half set of buffs, Ramza and Agrias had taken out 4 of the enemy team (Agrias Seal Evil’d an enemy, and Ramza took out two with Hydro Storm and took out a third that was weakened by Hydro and then got Damage Split’d). With my team hasted and up on character count, I just wheel’d and slammed the rest of the enemies rapidly.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rosalie_A posted:

-you knew this was coming I'm like garfield dumb and predictable but still you laugh.

inspired by
https://twitter.com/yeetgarf/status/1470954467914825729

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Well, FFT was missing the Queen lyrics references of Matsuno's earlier works, so it was a necessary inclusion IMO