Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Chain Giant can be kept in a state of perma spin and I actually find that way significantly easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah I figured I’d try LHB or the cane with bolt paper next but I don’t think I have any on hand so figured before I went spending my hard earned echoes :argh:

Also lmao gently caress Undead Giant with the mace on his back in Lower Pthumeru. That one shotting rear end in a top hat. I got so mad last night that I was just flushed with boiling blood and calmly turned the system off and walked outside.

He made me take a several month long break from the game he’s such a fucker. Windup? What’s that?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

chain giant sucks rear end. You have to completely alter how you fight and take things absurdly slow. its hit and run as gently caress, jumping in for a couple swings and back out of range again.

try not to burst his sack till he's already under half health, makes it easier to then burn him down while risking getting hit

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Trash boss

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, chain giant has feelings too

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hey, chain giant has feelings too
Good and I hope I hurt them

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i dont know what it is about my runs, but i never have a problem with chain giant and i usually rush through those chalice dungeons since im trying to get to the hacked ones as quickly as possible

saw cleaver tears him up

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I prefer mom and pop giants personally

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont know what it is about my runs, but i never have a problem with chain giant and i usually rush through those chalice dungeons since im trying to get to the hacked ones as quickly as possible

saw cleaver tears him up

It's always interesting to me how in these games, people can just naturally handle certain bosses better than others. I mean even between my own runs, different weapons can make some bosses significantly harder or easier.

Sometimes your style of play just naturally makes bosses easy

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FreudianSlippers posted:

heh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wild to play a non-chikage bloodtinge build for the first time and get the blunderbuss gem good enough that even when I’m slipping and not getting parry windows correct, my shots are actually doing appreciable damage.

It’s hosed up to play Bloodborne when the guns work. That whole concept of “a gun is a tool and never a weapon” was part of what sort of clarified FROM games for me. I’d been skeptical of their famed difficulty going in — it all seemed very cynical to me — but the gunplay design in BBwas such a weird choice it caused me to I realize that, rather than failing to give me what I wanted out of a game, it was making a case for why I should want something different, why this design was perfectly natural and perfectly executed.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

FreudianSlippers posted:

Look some of us live in giant deserts and the only thing available is a chain giant ok

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Spent some time grinding because The Old Hunters was kicking my rear end. Got up to Level 120 with 50 STR, 30 VIT, 30 ARC. Now it's time to pump everything into ARC because I just beat Ludwig and got the Holy Moonlight Sword. I am in LOVE with the R2 already and I can't wait to see what it does when I'm at 50 ARC and higher.

edit: jesus, even at only 30 ARC if I hit the R2 right it takes off 1000 HP

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 4, 2024

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's always interesting to me how in these games, people can just naturally handle certain bosses better than others. I mean even between my own runs, different weapons can make some bosses significantly harder or easier.

Sometimes your style of play just naturally makes bosses easy

Yeah, I think I've mentioned that Bloodborne was an especially steep learning curve for me because I Used to Game and then just kind of stopped and my buddy decided, gently caress it, I'm gonna recommend Bloodborne. And I'm thrilled he did but holy poo poo early on it was brutal. But one of the funny things that happened was I'd mention beating, like, Blood-Starved Beast in four tries (that is PREPOSTEROUSLY few tries for me, I am Not Good, I think Logarius probably took me nearly 100) and my buddy is like "Oh my wife thought he was the hardest in the game." Shrug!

Anyway! Not only is Ludwig down but so is Ebrietas (+7 Tonitrus :science: ) and Amygdala, who was hilariously easy since I missed Nightmare Frontier entirely and was incredibly OP for that boss. Took two tries, and the only reason I didn't get her on the first was getting backed into a corner.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 4, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

take VIT to 50 first, you already have a "complete" build in terms of damage stats but softcapped VIT removes a lot of the instakills in cursed dungeons and is generally useful everywhere else anyway

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Owl Inspector posted:

take VIT to 50 first, you already have a "complete" build in terms of damage stats but softcapped VIT removes a lot of the instakills in cursed dungeons and is generally useful everywhere else anyway

I was debating if I should pump VIT more so this is good to know, thanks!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Criminal Minded posted:

I was debating if I should pump VIT more so this is good to know, thanks!

I pretty much pump Vit and End first with min stats for weapons. damage scaling matters more as you upgrade weapons

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

My partner refuses to level vit past 20 because she says if she gets hit it means she's bad :shepface:

She's made it up to Orphan but I fear for her

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

My partner refuses to level vit past 20 because she says if she gets hit it means she's bad :shepface:

cursed dungeon must be hell. maybe they're now dodge gods and it don't matter tho

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

General Battuta posted:

she's right

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Your partner is loving baller, and also 100% right. If you were to go on to NG++ or whatever you can consider any point put into Vit a complete waste, so good to get the habit in early!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doing a proper dive into Chalice Dungeons for the first time and they feel pretty boring compared to the main game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doing a proper dive into Chalice Dungeons for the first time and they feel pretty boring compared to the main game

what stage of the main game are you in? you're expected to dive into some of the earlier chalice dungeons in between other things. you'll quickly out level the first few but they ramp up quick. there's also unique fights in there

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've done the entire main game outside the Final Bosses and the DLC up to Living Failures.

I did the Lower Pthumerian dungeon up to the blood letting beast and then tried the Hintertomb and found it more of the same.

Maybe I should try one of the more exotic ones before giving up and fighting Gherman already.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

What determines where you can be summoned to when using the short ritual chalice? I thought it was chalices I had open and had activated the lamps for but I just got summoned to fight the headless bloodletting beast whereas I've only done the chalices up to the headed bloodletting beast.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've done the entire main game outside the Final Bosses and the DLC up to Living Failures.

I did the Lower Pthumerian dungeon up to the blood letting beast and then tried the Hintertomb and found it more of the same.

Maybe I should try one of the more exotic ones before giving up and fighting Gherman already.

yeah they'll be rote for where you are in the game. they won't gain any real difficulty til depth 4

if you're not having fun it's totes to just end it. I've only done the dungeons to completion twice

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2930160/Nightmare_Kart/

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

As you did for vacuous Tom, grant us eyes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Someone has to make a fan patch to put the Bloodborne back in, right?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Worked out most of yon layout for the core of the Yharnam city areas. This game is a little loosey goosey in terms of what parts are visible from what other parts, so some specifics are arguable. But I think the gist is Old under Central under Cathedral under Upper with Unseen off to one side.
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1790552854232527121

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finally finished up my Arcane playthrough.

Moon Presence is a pushover compared to Gherman and especially easy compared to basically any of the DLC bosses. Which makes sense mechanically because the DLC is supposed to be a extra-challenge for seasoned players who've probably already done a dozen playthroughs but in-world it's a bit silly that the big bad MOON GOD isn't that hard.

I didn't like when it froze my healing and items though, but I still managed to kill it second try

I skipped most of the chalice dungeons because after four or five of them it started to feel very formulaic. More like a chore than an adventure.

It was fun to constantly be blasting people with ghost gloves or the tentacle weapon from the movie Cult (2013) and very different to my previous Skill focused run.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 25, 2024

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm astounded how so many people don't notice that when the Moon Presence sets your hp to one and disables your blood vials, your entire health bar becomes rally. Just hit her! You'll get it back!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun fact, that move kills you in co-op. I don't know if it's on purpose but it doesn't leave you at 1HP as the cooperator, you just die. It is one of the coolest moves in the game though, I wish more bosses could zap your health directly into rally like that.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

CJacobs posted:

Fun fact, that move kills you in co-op. I don't know if it's on purpose but it doesn't leave you at 1HP as the cooperator, you just die. It is one of the coolest moves in the game though, I wish more bosses could zap your health directly into rally like that.

ohhhh thats what the point of it is! lol. i thought it was so weird that it just lets you knock the poo poo out of it for free for no reason

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The first time it happened to me I was in blood mode with the Chikage and died instantly, I had no idea what happened

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The first time it happened to me I was in blood mode with the Chikage and died instantly, I had no idea what happened

Lol that's such a mean interaction

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

First time I got it I was standing too far away to reach it in time and died. Second time I was standing right up and close and just blasted the Man in the Moon with my space laser barrage attack.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Great news — we get to yearn for another year

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
what a post to find this thread to, oof

Anyway, I'm playing this for the first time. The other night I found some jerk with a machine gun in old Yharnam who I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be able to kill yet. and I'd like to solicit the information everyone else wishes they had going in for the first time, as well as ask a couple questions:

Is there a way to tell which doors or windows or whatever have people behind them to talk to? Checking every single one is a little tedious, especially when I'm checking then 2-3 times while I'm learning the areas for the first time.

Also, where are my extra quicksilver bullets going? I bought a bunch to zero out because I'm trying to down Blood-Starved Beast, and 5k echoes worth are just, gone. All I have are what's left of the 20 that initially went into my inventory.

E: oh I misunderstood the bullets' price, nevermind. Because it shows your current inventory of them I thought I was buying them in chunks of 5 for the displayed price, lmao

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Red lanterns indicate someone behind a door or window.