Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Experiences with Gyft.com gift cards (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by GrapeNehiSoda

Overall I've had a very good experience using Gyft.com but I thought I would put some info here in case it helps.

Purchase

So far most gift card purchases have concluded quickly and successfully. During the holidays some of the transactions slowed but I heard this might have been a BitPay issue (providing the invoices). There was also a human answering the Gyft support line which is quite nice these days.

I did have one purchase that was not successful. The invoice timed out before the transaction confirmed but I've heard this might have been Coinbase's fault (where I sent coins from). I contacted Gyft and within a few days the Bitcoin was returned to me. Hurray!

I do feel a little bad that the timed-out invoice caused me to miss an opportunity to get that extra 1% off (which is why I wanted to purchase that particular day) and Gyft did not offer it to me afterward. Since I did not re-attempt this purchase we both lost out on a $1000 purchase. But no big deal.

Using The Cards

So far I've had a little less trouble using the cards than I thought I might. For some reason I just thought there'd be more hassle. Advice: purchase a small card first. Use it to see what kind of hassle to expect before a larger purchase. There may not really even be a great reason to purchase a large GC when you could spread the risk over several cards.

Amazon... works without a hitch. This is by far the easiest GC to use for me. I have purchased and used maybe 10 gift cards, some $25, 1 for $1000, totaling a couple thousand USD.

CVS... overall successful. The scanner at my local CVS did not work so cashier had to type the GC number in, however I was able to redeem it. I have also "regifted" a Gyft CVS card by sending it from my phone to someone's email as a birthday gift. That individual also successfully used his card.

Burger King... swing and a miss! You could say the King hosed me royally. Maybe it's the universe telling me to stop eating fast food. Anyway, I tried to redeem the card at a local BK and the person at the register told me there are 2 kinds of Burger Kings, corporate and private, or something like that, and they don't take the Gyft GC at that particular BK. I emailed BK but got a standard, "thanks for writing us," non-answer. I don't feel this is Gyft's problem by any means, just FYI. Maybe one day I will be somewhere and stumble upon a mysterious BK that accepts it.

Hot Topic... score! I gave several of these GCs as gifts and the recipients were able to use them successfully. One was for $250, another was for $25.

Walmart... fresh off the presses, the Walmart card works! I used a $25 GC at Walmart successfully. Unfortunately not hassle-free but hey, such is life. The cashier got some sort of warning on his register and had to call a manager over who asked me where I got the card. She had to use a physical key to override the register and allow it to go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Heartbleed Fallout: Still Unable to Log Into Bitstamp After 24 Hours (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 minutes ago by whipowill

It's been 24 hours and I still cannot get access to Bitstamp.

After entering my 2FA I'm redirected to a 404 page that humorously reads "AND IT'S GONE" -- which really isn't funny for a Bitcoin exchange.

Also, my API keys have been deactivated.

I'm completely locked out. Can anyone else confirm the same problems?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Paid Coinfirma to mine for me, can't get them to reply to me now. Have I been scammed? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 7 hours ago by scmapple

So perhaps against my better judgement, and that of this forum, I went ahead and bought a mining contract with Coinfirma.

It was supposed to start on March 1st. I've been emailing and phoning them since with almost zero contact.

“Jennifer” wrote back about 10 days ago saying she would look into my case for me, but no reply since, despite repeated email attempts from me. They never answer the phone either.

So, my question is: have I just lost all my money? Anyone else having problems with them?

[–]scmapple[S] 0 points 5 hours ago

yeah, it looks like I've made a huge mistake...I just saw that Coinfirma was owned by @TheBitcoinGirl - who I'd heard of before...and had seen a couple of reports by others that they were getting paid by them, so I just went ahead. Probably should have done more research though as you all say. Lost over a grand with them - which I could really do with now. gently caress.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

...! posted:

Lost over a grand with them - which I could really do with now. gently caress.
is he implying that if he hadn't been "Scammed" he would have already made his $1000 back via outsourced mining

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

"why the gently caress is he holding an air filter

oh"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

for the longest time i was wondering what this guy was doing with a weird looking moped air filter

edit: gently caress

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
what is it? I was going to say CPU heatsink

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
why the long face

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
im the bottle of Smart Water

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

A Pinball Wizard posted:

what is it? I was going to say CPU heatsink

that, my boy, is a mining rig

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

death .cab for qt posted:

that, my dear, is the zybourne rig

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

joel mchale looking good despite the extensive chemotherapy

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Samurai Quack posted:

They are, usually due to ties to the US. CAN and AUS being the two most obvious examples.

Also Bermuda. So essentially a bunch of old Commonwealth nations.

e: I think it relates to the base unit of value it wzs derived from? Like how pound sterling were historically tied to an actual pound of silver until that became a problem and it was decoupled from the metal.

In the 16th century, Count Hieronymus Schlick of Bohemia began minting coins known as Joachimstalers (from German thal, or nowadays usually Tal, "valley", cognate with "dale" in English), named for Joachimstal, the valley where the silver was mined (St. Joachim's Valley, now Jáchymov; then part of the Kingdom of Bohemia, now part of the Czech Republic).[23] Joachimstaler was later shortened to the German Taler, a word that eventually found its way into Danish and Swedish as daler, Dutch as daler or daalder, Ethiopian as ታላሪ (talari), Hungarian as tallér, Italian as tallero, and English as dollar.[23]

The coins minted at Joachimsthal soon lent their name to other coins of similar size and weight from other places. One such example, was a Dutch coin depicting a lion, hence its Dutch name leeuwendaler (English lion daler).

The leeuwendaler was authorized to contain 427.16 grains of .750 fine silver and passed locally for between 36 to 42 stuivers. It was lighter than the large denomination coins then in circulation, thus it was more advantageous for a Dutch merchant to pay a foreign debt in leeuwendalers and it became the coin of choice for foreign trade.

The leeuwendaler was popular in the Dutch East Indies and in the Dutch New Netherland Colony (New York), and circulated throughout the Thirteen Colonies during the 17th and early 18th centuries. It was also popular throughout Eastern Europe where it lead to the current Romanian and Moldovan currency being called leu(literally "lion").

Among the English-speaking community the coin came popularly to be known as lion dollar – and is in fact the origin of the name Dollar.[24] The modern American-English pronunciation of dollar is still remarkably close to the 17th-century Dutch pronunciation of daler.[25]

By analogy with this lion dollar, Spanish pesos – with the same weight and shape as the lion dollar – came to be known as Spanish dollars.[25] By the mid-18th century, the lion dollar had been replaced by Spanish dollar, the famous "piece of eight", which were distributed widely in the Spanish colonies in the New World and in the Philippines.[26] Eventually dollar became the name of the first official American currency.

thanks wikipedia (thikipedia)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cantorsdust posted:

Count Hieronymus Schlick
toby please

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
toby died on the way back to his home planet (the bee planet)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FMguru posted:

toby died on the way back to his home planet (the bee planet)

i saw that dr who episode

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trap sprung

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

it looks like c-grade stock photography

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Robawesome posted:

After entering my 2FA I'm redirected to a 404 page that humorously reads "AND IT'S GONE" -- which really isn't funny for a Bitcoin exchange.

e:

quote:

Another MultiBit Bug - Cannot transfer more than 999.99 BTC at a time. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 13 hours ago* by goatslime
Tried to move 1400 BTC the other day out of my wallet (to get away from multibit) and almost had a heart attack when I was getting Java errors from trying to transfer my BTC out.
You can only transfer 999.99 out of the wallet at a time... seems they have never tested moving >= 1000 BTC out. Would be interesting to see if the problem also happens on deposit.
EDIT: Just letting everyone know that I've moved to Armory with paper backups - this first bug reported freaked me out. You could imagine how I helt as soon as I went to transfer it out and find that there was a java number error!!
EDIT2: I think this post also needs visibility: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22lruv/coinkite_is_irrisponsible_with_security/
EDIT3: Error message posted below.

quote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22ma7d/ive_taken_over_rantibitcoin_turning_it_into_a_sub/
I've taken over /r/antibitcoin, turning it into a sub that pokes fun at irrational anti bitcoiners (reddit.com)
submitted 8 hours ago by ElizabefWarrenBuffet

[–]nextgeneric 4 points 6 hours ago
Why again aren't people allowed to be "anti-bitcoin"?
[–]MeanOfPhidias 3 points 5 hours ago
We've yet to see one of them say anything above
"huh huh buttcoin" or "OMG FEDERAL RESEREV QEEEEEEEE"
So when they stop drooling on themselves and come up with an argument I'm sure it'll get shot down. Until then it's peanut gallery
permalinkparent
[–]yoCoin 11 points 5 hours ago
You haven't looked hard enough. I want this to succeed as much as anyone, but Bitcoin is not perfect.
permalinkparent
[–]MeanOfPhidias 3 points 5 hours ago
Sorry, let me break it down a little bit for yah.
You and I know enough about Bitcoin to understand there are shortcomings that need changes/fixing. We know that because we have taken the time to research.
Ok, here is where it gets really hard.
This whole thread and the OP is talking about the people who are anti-bitcoin. These people aren't like you or me because they haven't done that research.
These are the people who, literally, say the things I posted. These are people like Professor Bitcorn and that rear end in a top hat senator. These are the people who say Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme.
Are we on the same page now because I really can't make this anymore condescending.
permalinkparent
[–]yoCoin 2 points 5 hours ago
Upvoted. We are on the same page now.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 10, 2014

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

is it just me or does his head look like it was photo-shopped on?

it looks very 2 dimensional

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

motherfucker has half a ticket in bitcoin. gently caress that guy/this heteronormative earth

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

IGotBitcoins.com is proving pretty fun. I got linked from a reddit post with this link:

It turns out it's the site from the guy who made that dumb Bitcoin Education twitter bot that barfs out a canned message to anyone who says the word bitcoin in a question. It's been suspended by twitter, but the suspension got lifted.

It doesn't have a funny story, though. Just a page begging for donations to get a livestrong bracelet, but with bitcoins.

66 140 character sized soundbytes to spam on twitter!

quote:

"Bitcoin’s distributed asset ledger is the most important Computer Science invention of the century."

"The last consumer focused innovation in financial services was credit cards, in the 1950s. There is no industry more ripe for disruption."

"If you want to read something intelligent about bitcoin, read the source code."
[ed: >>=]

"Bitcoin is global, decentralized and unstoppable. Let govt try, it will be hilarious to watch."

"Because bitcoin is a protocol for transmitting value. It will be bigger than Internet and will accelerate Internet."

"First you’re curious and jealous of people having it, then you have it, and then you want more. Bitcoin is just like sex."

"Mining provides security for the Bitcoin network, at much lower cost per transaction than other payment networks."
[insert mining profitability chart]

"Bitcoin will survive the banking regulators and oppressive governments. The converse however is unlikely."

A random bitcoin fact widget

An article from October on how to stick it to the banksters by taking out loans to buy more bitcoins.

Bitcoin Timeline

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TVarmy posted:

[insert mining profitability chart]

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
[insertion of mining profitability chart intensifies]

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

has anyone said bitcoinu

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
huh huh buttcoin

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

TVarmy posted:

"Mining provides security for the Bitcoin network, at much lower cost per transaction than other payment networks."
[:flaccid:]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the high resolution font

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

After having my bitcoins stolen, I wrote a service to prevent it ever happening again (bitcoinvigil.com)

submitted 1 hour ago by espringe

http://www.bitcoinvigil.com/

Why you need us

Bitcoin Vigil keeps you and your devices secure, using bitcoin honeypots (which we affectionately call 'money pots') to detect intruders. These are small amounts of sacrificial money (normally around $10 USD) left on your computer, that functions as an early warning for a compromised system. Malware in general loves nothing more than stealing this easy money, and when they do, we instantly notify you (by email and SMS) -- so you can take immediate action, and most importantly not use that device to enter sensitive information (e.g. decrypt anything, enter any passwords, etc) which can cost you far, far more.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
finally, it's about time someone said this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

awww i thought he was back

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Robawesome posted:

money pots

first: mods

second: what are the odds of the customer fronting the ten dollars

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

What happened to bit-mining.co? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 hours ago by AreTeaUU

I had been using this site for some time and I went to transfer my mined coins into my actual wallet and I can not get the site to load. Has anyone else had this problem or know anything about it?

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.bit-mining.co

[–]catwelder 1 point 1 hour ago

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=351935.80

quote:

Hello Bit-Miners,

We are currently looking into certain system errors, sorry for the delay. We will be responding to each and every user with an issue as fast as we possibly can. Thanks for your patience.

BMC Support

quote:

Forgive me, but over the last month or better, your entire site has been a "certain system error". I've stuck with it in hopes that it'd get better, but my faith is waning quickly.

What we've taken to calling "the big hack" simply won't work as an excuse any longer. It was over a month ago, and repairs should've taken hours not weeks, assuming you had ANY (let alone any enterprise grade) backup solutions in place. Long since that should've been recovered from, your troubles have become increasingly unrelated to, but still excused by the big hack.

Your efforts have been misplaced on such things as upgrading the payout system to hourly from daily, while many still aren't getting payouts accurately or AT ALL.

Your support rep in chat gives absolutely nothing but excuses and mostly unfulfilled promises for remedies, and leaves the scene entirely when confronted with such. As well, he consistently refers users to email in the details of the issue, and these emails seem to be getting returned to sender more often than getting thru. When they do get thru, the responses seem to be minimalistic and unhelpful, if there's a response at all (seems most often there isn't).

Your withdrawal arrangements, altho partly understandably, are unreasonable. Worse, you can't even keep to the arrangements as promised.

Your history pages don't provide anywhere near enough detail on transactions, and once a transaction gets shoved off the bottom of the page it becomes completely irretrievable for the user. I've hesitated to come to the same conclusion that many others have, that this is done intentionally so as to make it easy for you to bury mistakes or creative accounting practices, but I'm starting to sway that direction.

In the last few days, purchases of hashing power will either show up in and then disappear from balances or never show up at all, and simply disappear into the ether (but still be reflected in transaction history).

New issue: Seems the hashing power an account owns will just simply stop paying out at random, for hours or days. One of my referrals lost 36+- hours of hashing on BOTH GHs and KS, and as soon as he spoke on it in chat, both started again, but no lost revenue has been compensated. Seems maybe you're just hoping people won't notice their account activity, so you can do whatever you want with our money?

Seems to me, you've got a whole host of issues far more important than a couple of compromised forum accounts, and yet your attentions are here while you ignore what's really going on.

You don't run a site like this on your gaming rig, you run it on appropriately scaled enterprise servers. Also, you don't hire the best friends to take care of coding, maintenance and support, you hire the best geeks. Ignore either of these, and you will fall flat on your fa...whoopsie, too late... Next time you go into business, get the right gear, hire the right crew, and make sure they do the right thing. Better yet, IMHO, just don't. This wasn't a learning experience on how to do it better, it was a disaster from which you should've learned that you're just not cut out for business at all. Ron White says, "Ya' can't fix stupid..." I do believe he was correct. Children shouldn't play with big-boy toys...

Too bad, really. I had kinda high hopes for your gig.

quote:

Hello, hope I didn't a big mistake registering to bit-mining.co and putting all my BTCs there yesterday.
When I enabled 2FA, a QR code appeared and when I tried to disable it, a pop up come out saying:
do you really want to change auth with [alphanumeric code] ? I clicked ok.

I got my 2FA code written down on a file but no way to log in anymore, I tried password reset but didn't reset 2FA too.

I contacted assistance yesterday night but until now still no answer. Forum seems idle if you don't login.

Please let me know something about this ASAP.

quote:

This will remain to be seen... I wouldn't have put it ALL there, because there are major problems that are being left unattended to. However, I guess I'm still holding out hope that they'll grow a brain and we'll see some actual recovery...

quote:

Come on guys at the every least update us on these issues. Your silence is killing your credibility. I have sent repeated e-mails and not gotten a single response.

quote:

The site is down now. I am starting to think this is a loss.

Site is back up. Can't see my info but at least it is there.

quote:

What's happening again? All my mined BTC are gone!
Looking at the history - that's gone too!

These guys might mine ok - but sure gotta learn how to manage a site!

quote:

Great, this doesn't look good :/ Knew I should have gotten out of there while I could have...

quote:

Hello all,

After being able to check my account today, I have been able to see that my 1,5 btc approx have dissappeared from my account, followed from an "Sorry for delay we will be back shortly." appearing now at the site.

As we are many people being scammed by this site by now; I'm starting to think about legal actions.

The domain bit-mining.co is registered by godaddy through it's service Domains By Proxy.
You can check the whois here: http://whois.domaintools.com/bit-mining.co

Domains by proxy is supposed to be anonymous, but it's not so anonymous as you can check in this article:
http://news.cnet.com/Private+domains+not+so+private/2100-1038_3-5833663.html

So I guess it will be quite easy to get the names behind this domain to go on with some individual actions.

As you all probably now, bitcoins are considered a property in USA, so stealing them can be called as robbery and exchanging them for computing power, exchanging a property for another property; a private contract.

For anything relating to this please PM.
all the best,

kimmel

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
why the hell would anyone leave their coins with some service at this point. i would ask if buttcoiners have that short of memories/really are that stupid, but i guess i answered my own question

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

why the hell would anyone leave their coins with some service at this point. i would ask if buttcoiners have that short of memories/really are that stupid, but i guess i answered my own question

be your own bank!!!!

Underwear
May 13, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

same reason why they keep warning each other to only "invest" what they can stand to lose and then turn around and lose their life savings of literally hundreds of dollars with a typo and beg on reddit for donations to pay their bills

because bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Robawesome posted:

After having my bitcoins stolen, I wrote a service to prevent it ever happening again (bitcoinvigil.com)

submitted 1 hour ago by espringe

http://www.bitcoinvigil.com/

Bitcoin Vigil keeps you and your devices secure, using bitcoin honeypots (which we affectionately call 'money pots') to detect intruders. These are small amounts of sacrificial money (normally around $10 USD) left on your computer, that functions as an early warning for a compromised system. Malware in general loves nothing more than stealing this easy money, and when they do, we instantly notify you (by email and SMS) -- so you can take immediate action, and most importantly not use that device to enter sensitive information (e.g. decrypt anything, enter any passwords, etc) which can cost you far, far more.
i'm almost certain a system that relies on letting your money get stolen doesn't technically prevent theft from ever happening again

• Locked thread