Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I admittedly haven't heard BT's entire discography, but I always liked his score for the movie Monster and his album This Binary Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUKA9kJVyCI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgsUo5kcyM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
singeli ftw

https://nyegenyegetapes.bandcamp.com/album/singeli-ya-maajabu

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

anyone seeing luke vibert and skee mask in san francisco tomorrow night at parameter? i saw jungle in the title and thought id ask.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Late to the party but the 5+ hour SebastiAn Saint Laurent album is incredible

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

hifi posted:

Early bt is great. Electronica that you don't get anymore that should be what this thread is about but is instead about people like, playing the guitar or whatever. The original CFCF maybe.

He was one of my favorite producers for a while and generally a really nice dude; signed his entire discography and stuck around the merch booth for like two hours chatting with everyone when I saw him play with Thomas Dolby years ago. Even some of his newer output is really interesting, which makes his blockchain/Web3 true-believer stances even more disappointing. :negative:

Dog Doggleman
Mar 9, 2024
Just listened to the new Justice album. I think Afterimage is the only song I truly enjoyed and what I want to hear when listening to a 2024 Justice album. The first song with Tame Impala, Neverender, is pretty good too.

It’s actually shocking to me how little I care about them in 2024 considering how much I loved Cross.

I also can’t believe AVD came out 13 years ago and Woman came out EIGHT!!! Years ago. I have a vivid memory of listening to that for the first time (and probably last :v: time)

Sometimes I wonder with artists like Justice and albums like these; I imagine they still have a group of really dedicated fans, but are there people out there that like truly love this album and would really put it in their top 5-10 album of all time? Like who does this album REALLY resonate with

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pepe Arnold posted:

Sometimes I wonder with artists like Justice and albums like these; I imagine they still have a group of really dedicated fans, but are there people out there that like truly love this album and would really put it in their top 5-10 album of all time? Like who does this album REALLY resonate with
Top 5-10 of all time? No. If any Justice album is going in my top 5-10 of all time, it's Cross, no question. But this album is one of my favorite albums of the year so far. I've listened to it a bunch, and while it does have its weak spots, it's an enjoyable listen and I like it a lot.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah I like the new Justice album a lot too. The singles didn’t really do much for me but now hearing the album as a whole it’s better.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think the opening run of the new Justice album, particularly the first 2 songs, is about as much as I've enjoyed any new music in ages. The album absolutely comes out swinging.

Pepe Arnold posted:

I think there's a lot to be said for music that has its own lane.

This and the Challengers OST (Boys Noize mix) dropped right at the exact time where the sun finally appeared in the UK and I was actively looking for something funky and upbeat to play with the windows down in the car. This album met that objective with ease and there are tracks on here that will be future mainstays for such days forever.

As an aside it's already back to overcast grey and rain, so back to Joy Division and Nine Inch Nails I go like a miserable old oval office. I'll see you sometime in August, Justice.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Neverender might be one of my favorite Justice songs already. It's so goddamn catchy and gets stuck in my head all day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Neverender might be one of my favorite Justice songs already. It's so goddamn catchy and gets stuck in my head all day.

Yah my kid is singing it now just wherever from hearing it in the car lol.

I find the Justice album to be really front heavy and tapers off fast, but still fun to put on. I was never a huge Justice fan but I like this one overall.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Probably their second best record, still better than a lot of other music out there.

Realistically they can’t top Cross and most others haven’t come close.

Dog Doggleman
Mar 9, 2024

Bumhead posted:

I think the opening run of the new Justice album, particularly the first 2 songs, is about as much as I've enjoyed any new music in ages. The album absolutely comes out swinging.

I think there's a lot to be said for music that has its own lane.

This and the Challengers OST (Boys Noize mix) dropped right at the exact time where the sun finally appeared in the UK and I was actively looking for something funky and upbeat to play with the windows down in the car. This album met that objective with ease and there are tracks on here that will be future mainstays for such days forever.

As an aside it's already back to overcast grey and rain, so back to Joy Division and Nine Inch Nails I go like a miserable old oval office. I'll see you sometime in August, Justice.

No doubt about that. As the weather’s started getting nice here I’m going back to Disclosure’s Alchemy they released last summer.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Pepe Arnold posted:

Just listened to the new Justice album. I think Afterimage is the only song I truly enjoyed and what I want to hear when listening to a 2024 Justice album. The first song with Tame Impala, Neverender, is pretty good too.

It’s actually shocking to me how little I care about them in 2024 considering how much I loved Cross.

I also can’t believe AVD came out 13 years ago and Woman came out EIGHT!!! Years ago. I have a vivid memory of listening to that for the first time (and probably last :v: time)

Copy this whole post but change Justice and Hyperdrama for Daft Punk and Random Access Memories and you would be right

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Justice albums have always been the appetizer for the eventual live album two years later that takes all the best parts from the album and cuts the fat anyways

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Man I miss Daft Punk now.

At least we have Discovery and Alive 2007.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Daft Punk really dropped an album, waited 8 years, then randomly broke up. One of the most frustrating groups to have been a fan of

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the Justice album ends really well also. The Miguel and Thundercat songs are both great.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Toxic Mental posted:

Justice albums have always been the appetizer for the eventual live album two years later that takes all the best parts from the album and cuts the fat anyways

I watched the Coachella streams before the album was out which just made the album that much more of a letdown

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09I8I8Nc0E

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol

ODESZA released a new EP called the Spinback Remixes.

quote:

Our recent DJ sets have allowed us to experiment and re-envision tracks for the club, including our own. We dipped into our catalogue and connected with a few of our favorite artists to get their club-forward take on some of our tunes. The Spinback Remixes EP is primed for the dance floor and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Unfortunately, I don't like a single one of these remixes and would rather hear the originals in a club instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why does it feel like every EDM act I know is covering Cafe Del Mar all of a sudden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZnWd0sqvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZflTNIRA77w

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh poo poo, The Glitch Mob's label All The People put out their first compilation album, All The People Vol. 1, and I knew I was into it from the very first track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3ebH09c0MA

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pepe Arnold posted:

yeah probably

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Four Tet played a show under a bridge in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago and put up the set from that show on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAlmIZAcpQs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And another Four Tet set has been uploaded to YouTube, this time his EDC set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaiaiDQzweA

Dog Doggleman
Mar 9, 2024
Loving the sound of the new Gorgon City tracks from their upcoming album. Good start to summer music.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Not EDM precisely but i'm going to finally catch Tipper live after years of wanting to. He's playing in my hometown so gonna go back and visit family at the same time. Super hyped.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfZPptuU7-M

Skrillex put out a new track the other day. He's still making bangers! This would probably go hard in a club.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
can hamdi still really only use the one sound

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

yeah that track sucks and Hamdi is so incredibly overrated lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Had this pop up on my YT recs and thought it was super interesting and relevant to the thread

https://youtu.be/5wIOBBodoic?si=tV-azyxDPRLZ4nPd

Aphex Twin’s mid 90s software tools are pretty wild. Trackers! I used to mess with those on an amiga 500.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Justice expanded their tour in USA

07/25 – New York, NY @ Teksupport x Brooklyn Navy Yard
07/26 – New York, NY @ Teksupport x Brooklyn Navy Yard
07/28 – Washington, DC @ The Anthem
07/31 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Met
08/02 – Boston, MA @ MGM Music Hall at Fenways
09/29 – San Francisco, CA @ Portola Festival
10/02 – Denver, CO @ Mission Ballroom
10/04 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
10/06 – Portland, OR @ Edgefield on the Lawn
10/08 – Vancouver, BC @ PNE Coliseum
10/09 – Seattle, WA @ WAMU
10/21 – Atlanta, GA @ The Eastern
10/23 – Chicago, IL @ Radius

Dog Doggleman
Mar 9, 2024
I’m busy the Boston date but drat I want to go to NY or Philly. I think I read that the NY shows are non transferable and sold out. It was something weird like that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got my ODESZA Last Goodbye Cinematic Experience Blu-Ray today and just finished watching it (for the second time, since I saw it in theaters last year). Yep, that's definitely one of my favorite concert films ever. Took me right back to their show that I saw last year, which is one of my favorite shows I've ever been to.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah Hamdi has one sound on his presets I guess. Dubstep doesn't work well in the club it just murders the vibe completely, it's the musical equivalent of too many dicks on the dance floor

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

REZZ put out a new version of Edge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebn_Mw7anc

I still prefer the original way more, though.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

priznat posted:

Had this pop up on my YT recs and thought it was super interesting and relevant to the thread

https://youtu.be/5wIOBBodoic?si=tV-azyxDPRLZ4nPd

Aphex Twin’s mid 90s software tools are pretty wild. Trackers! I used to mess with those on an amiga 500.

Flashbulb used to run in my circle in the late 90's-early 00's until he got government money for his First Nations status to do PSA commercials then abruptly changed his tune and told us he was better than us and left. He followed Aphex Twin's wake for his entire career. When RDJ released DrukQs with the player piano, Flashbulb bought a player piano. With Analord, he bought a modular synth system. Etc... When Aphex released Cheetah, we knew he would try and copy that too so we had fellow artist EOD help us with making some fake tracks under his name that sounded like they would be from Cheetah and everyone 100% believed they were authentic. He never did anything to discredit them lol. It's downright embarrassing, like DogeDesigner is to Elon Musk. He's skilled at playing instruments and he'd be a great recording session artist for other people, but the dude can't really write songs or do proper transitions. There'll be some heavy drum and bass, then it'll go to sad violins, then switch to a glitchy part and I can never understand why. Really sad to see him end shilling gear on youtube, which is like an elephant graveyard for electronic musicians.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 30, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Can't understand why you would be saddened by that. The guy sounds like a complete nozzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

He was a lot of kids first taste of electronic music in North America who were never exposed to the Warp/Mu/Tigerbeat royalty, so I'm kind of glad that he flagshipped them over to a younger audience and they were able to discover IDM/EDM/Jungle, etc...

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 30, 2024