Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is AEW #1?
This poll is closed.
Yes 87 46.28%
Yes but we shouldn't brag about it and make all the people with bad taste who like bad promotions feel bad 101 53.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Eat My Fuc posted:

That ending was horrendously awkward. One of the bucks is on mic reminding Kenny not to mention shooting a gun and it's like why even go there, just let Cody do his speech and go, there was no tact there to what they did.

I think they genuinely thought they were off air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

wait maybe its because I was watching with friends but are we pretending Hangman isn't awesome now

He looks the part and in the past he's had matches with really good wrestlers and looked good with them. Against Kip Sabian the match struggled to get anything above average and it felt to me at least like Page was lacking some kind of spark you'd expect from him. It was probably the weakest single match on the show (Brandi/Allie wasn't great but it successfully used smoke and mirrors for the most part).

All that would be fine for an up and coming guy with plenty of time to work with, but they're pushing Page as a top of the card singles guy who could potentially be their first ever World Champion.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Marvez absolutely needs to go - he's a detriment to the show every time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not into Page/Jericho at all, but whatever. Let them have the match and then Moxley or Omega or Daniels or Pentagon or those 6 guys in the match that I got sold on or whoever can light a fire in the singles division.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think they genuinely thought they were off air

I'd say someone at the top was ribbing them, but they're all at the top and there's really nobody else at the top who wasn't in that ring already, so

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

And I liked the weird "are we off the air or not" poo poo after the show - it's genuine moments like that you'll never get from super scripted WWE productions

We are watching a bunch of high level performers who just started their own company learn the production side as they go and it's really interesting to see

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'm so use to the god awful WWE commentary that I don't really notice any one dude in particular being a bit crap in the AEW booth. All the retro vidya memes dunking on the guy are cracking me up though so I'm not going to tell everyone else to lay off or anything.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

AEW is so good in just about every other way that we're gonna latch onto the one thing that is genuinely terrible.

Also: Every single Joshi wrestler they've brought in has been a massive home run for them.

Luke72w
Oct 28, 2011

Unlovable
Kenny Omega has closed out all three AEW shows (counting All In) with his shtick and it's likely a tradition they'd like to see keep going for as long as they can and this was a compromise to keep it going despite the environment.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Molestationary Store posted:

I'm so use to the god awful WWE commentary that I don't really notice any one dude in particular being a bit crap in the AEW booth. All the retro vidya memes dunking on the guy are cracking me up though so I'm not going to tell everyone else to lay off or anything.

it was just really noticable that while excalibur was amazing as always and JR was decent if clearly very tired/annoyed marvez had nothing interesting to say, he added nothing to any of the matches and half the things he said were just plain stupid.

Like 5 minutes of holds and chain wrestling in the young bucks match and he goes "wow jr do you think the pace has slowed?" any 6 year old kid watching could figure that out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My dark secret is I've never actually liked Jim Ross on commentary so I barely even noticed the other guy sucking.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I wonder why they cut off the end of the Rhodes/Jacksons for the check stuff when they had plenty of time left. There was no way that was going to last 13 minutes. They should have let that ended, let Kenny or whoever know in Gorilla that they got X amount of minutes to get the check presented and end the broadcast. Seemed weird.

All in all though it was a good show. There really wasn’t a stinker. I though Alex was better on the commentary tonight. He at least didn’t stick out like a sore thumb like he did previously.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jerusalem posted:

He looks the part and in the past he's had matches with really good wrestlers and looked good with them. Against Kip Sabian the match struggled to get anything above average and it felt to me at least like Page was lacking some kind of spark you'd expect from him. It was probably the weakest single match on the show (Brandi/Allie wasn't great but it successfully used smoke and mirrors for the most part).

All that would be fine for an up and coming guy with plenty of time to work with, but they're pushing Page as a top of the card singles guy who could potentially be their first ever World Champion.

I think he is good and should beat Jericho and then feud with MJF

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

STAC Goat posted:

My dark secret is I've never actually liked Jim Ross on commentary so I barely even noticed the other guy sucking.

JR was genuinely really good at fyterfest with golden boy, which is why bringing marvez back after that was so obvious.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

it was just really noticable that while excalibur was amazing as always and JR was decent if clearly very tired/annoyed marvez had nothing interesting to say, he added nothing to any of the matches and half the things he said were just plain stupid.

Like 5 minutes of holds and chain wrestling in the young bucks match and he goes "wow jr do you think the pace has slowed?" any 6 year old kid watching could figure that out.

Excalibur and Chuck Taylor should have called this one imo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
RIP AEW https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Djarum posted:

I wonder why they cut off the end of the Rhodes/Jacksons for the check stuff when they had plenty of time left. There was no way that was going to last 13 minutes. They should have let that ended, let Kenny or whoever know in Gorilla that they got X amount of minutes to get the check presented and end the broadcast. Seemed weird.
I think it was just genuine confusion from a group of people not used to doing this yet who also happen to mostly have all wrestled 20 minutes in Florida heat.

That's why they invited the dinosaur with a masters degree to help.