Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I only press d/f+1 as Harada intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Much like the spring kick you can't underestimate the psychological impact of the electric, even when blocked. Especially if I'm fighting a Kazuya, I need to throw out an electric just to prove I belong in the family.

Of course whenever an electric actually launches I get so flustered expecting a block that I drop the combo, but the message has been sent that I can press two buttons at the same time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i always enjoy fighting someone who gets me with a spring kick, then i respect them too much for two more oki setups, and then when i try to meaty something they spring kick again lol

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Wish I understood how sidesteps and tracking are meant to work in T8, and do they work as intended.

Because every session I see things either track wildly or visibly don't track, but then still hit a target totally out of line.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Shockeh posted:

Wish I understood how sidesteps and tracking are meant to work in T8, and do they work as intended.

Because every session I see things either track wildly or visibly don't track, but then still hit a target totally out of line.

Yeah I have no fuckin' idea because it seems super hard to step stuff to me. If you figure it out, let me know.

I'm sure I'd go up to at least Kishin if I learned how to step stuff... but it feels like a knowledge check on every character and every move in the game and even if you learn all that poo poo you still have to get the timing right.

Like, I've watched videos on it but putting it into practice is a nightmare.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Yay, after the last patch I get UE Polaris crashes at any texture setting! Well, guess I'm done with Tekken.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Got a post for anyone who loves to talk about nitty gritty.

Just why was Leroy Smith so broken when he debuted in Tekken 7? Why did he remain very strong even when nerfed? And what changes did Tekken 8 make that ATM, makes him more middle of the pack than 'this guy renders 95 percent of the other characters pointless to play'? The more details, the better. I always find it interesting when a character goes from incredibly strong to less so, like what happened with Sean in Street Fighter III's second and third incarnations (in his case he got smacked with the nerf bat way too hard).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's hard to not just say "because he was broken" so here's some posts with The Data™ (PC only, non-official) but also this will be heavily editorialized because Leroy was some true hosed up bullshit and most of the characters in his wake were too.

Here is Leroy's tournament performance at Evo Japan immediately after his release. The farther into bracket you go, the higher the concentration of Leroys until you get to the infamous 2020 Evo Japan Oops All Leroys top 8.

And here is the scraped ranked data from directly after his first round of nerfs so the data reflects his peak power. From late blue ranks onwards he's by FAR the most popular character in the game, the numbers seem to suggest anyone at that skill level or above could pick him up and sail through to high ranks. His TGP numbers are insane and continued to be for the rest of the games life and was eventually joined by Fak who had a similar trajectory and over-representation at the higher ranks. This has given both characters very bad reputations in the community, anecdotally I would say Leroy has been rehabilitated a bit due to his very strong visual identity and his subpar strength in Tekken 8 (so far).

Now why was he so strong, as you asked. You could ask 20 different people of 20 different skill levels that played against launch Leroy and they would say a different reason why he was so busted. He did as you put literally invalidate other characters, he had better versions of a grip of core Tekken moves and concepts. He had the best orbital in the game, the best parry in the game which was doubled down on as a key part of his move set, an auto parry low that he just freely went into after using his main low poke which had VERY good frames so you couldn't press anything after if he transitioned into hermit, a hellsweep that felt truly homing, the cane, very execution light combos that were doing well above the rest of the casts bnbs, an extremely hard hitting wall combo to cap off that combo damage, etc. etc.

I try to not boil down Tekken characters into their unique things because it's very easy to make a character sound broken (Bryan has an UNBLOCKABLE? That he can LAUNCH off of? Kazuya can LAUNCH PUNISH -13 lows?? Paul's deathfist does HOW MUCH DAMAGE? you get the point) but Leroy was hilariously overtuned to the point he completely dominated the tournament scene and wreaked havoc on online Tekken from the midranks up. I could probably effort post more about the actual frame data of his launch iteration if I track them down but I'm at work right now and don't really feel like seeking that out.

By the end of Tekken 7 Leroy felt pretty fine balance-wise and his play rate stayed very high so he found his niche and his rather large audience but he has become a looming threat of how badly Bamco can and has hosed up in the past with their DLC characters. Leroy was hosed up, Fak was hosed up, Lidia was hosed up, Zafina was hosed up, Ganryu was hosed up and he's the luckiest mother fucker alive that he came out the same day as Leroy and no one paid attention to him through the rest of the games life, Kunimitsu was shockingly NOT hosed up she was just really strong and Arslan liked her a lot so you saw her a bunch.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 13, 2024

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Comparatively speaking, how is t8 Eddy compared to the broken pile?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Cornwind Evil posted:

Just why was Leroy Smith so broken when he debuted in Tekken 7? Why did he remain very strong even when nerfed? And what changes did Tekken 8 make that ATM, makes him more middle of the pack than 'this guy renders 95 percent of the other characters pointless to play'? The more details, the better. I always find it interesting when a character goes from incredibly strong to less so, like what happened with Sean in Street Fighter III's second and third incarnations (in his case he got smacked with the nerf bat way too hard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tee697wf1GU&t=137s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OxMan posted:

Comparatively speaking, how is t8 Eddy compared to the broken pile?

There were two Eddies in Top 8 at Evo Japan but I don't think anyone thinks he's particularly cracked, and those were the only ones in the top 50 so people aren't flocking to him to take advantage

https://twitter.com/BuffGigas/status/1784620138253386011/photo/1

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

release leroy had almost every single tool in the game, and often had the best version of that kind of tool. if he didnt he "only" had a Very Good version of it. he was weirdly safe on like everything and also was extremely easy to play. and weirdly safe! and then he had the dang cane (which was like +8 or something on launch lol) and parries and stuff on top of it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

release leroy had almost every single tool in the game, and often had the best version of that kind of tool. if he didnt he "only" had a Very Good version of it. he was weirdly safe on like everything and also was extremely easy to play. and weirdly safe! and then he had the dang cane (which was like +8 or something on launch lol) and parries and stuff on top of it.

somehow I forgot about the cane. my god.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, it's a few things. He had the best version of a lot of other characters best tools, plus he had built in parrys into safe strings that meant pressing buttons against him suicidal.

Probably the most obnoxious was having a safe, mid, 12 frame ch launcher, when almost every other character's fastest mid is 13 and gets very little reward.

They either removed or made unsafe all his ch launchers in tekken 8, and locked his hellsweep behind his mediocre stance which means his defensive and offensive game was way worse.

Having said this he got some really nice buffs in the recent patch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

leroy damaging tekken team's credibility to the point that everyone assumes DLC will be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them and then they will be nerfed later so that the next dlc can be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i honestly breathed a sigh of relief when eddy came out and he wasn't insanely OP

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

leroy damaging tekken team's credibility to the point that everyone assumes DLC will be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them and then they will be nerfed later so that the next dlc can be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them

Ah yes, the League of Legends Overwatch Apex Legends model.

To be fair I don't know if any of those games still do that, because I stopped playing all of them when they started doing that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Ah yes, the League of Legends Overwatch Apex Legends model.

To be fair I don't know if any of those games still do that, because I stopped playing all of them when they started doing that.

League still kind of does sometimes, mostly because they'll randomly stuff a champs kit with every tool in the interest of having "outplay potential." But they generally aren't making the champs super busted day 1 of release, usually the problem is they have so many tools people don't know how to play them, then they get overbuffed to compensate and it takes a few months to sort it back out once people get really good at the champ themselves

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Way back in the day League was on a stretch of releasing really strong characters and I was starting to think they were just intentionally releasing characters way too strong to entice you into buying them (Brand, Rumble, Vayne, Ori in a row) and then they released Yorick who was extremely bad at release and had a bug where he would die 100 times a game fairly reliably and I went "oh nevermind they are just stupid and don't know how to balance"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean they definitely are extremely stupid yes.

Nobody ever seems to remember this, but I distinctly remember them saying at some point, maybe like a year or more after release when the game was wildly successful and had like 10m plus players, something to the effect of: "Oh we'd like to change the way the tower targetting [or something] works, but it's hardcoded, we can't change it because it would break the entire game".

It was definitely something to do with towers.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
So I played a lot of online matches, enough to max the battle pass and here's a couple differences from SF6 that I noticed:

- Bad, laggy matches are rare, I think matchmaking by default is pretty rigorous in making sure it'll match you with a good and stable connection. This may be why it usually takes longer to find an opponent in T8 compared to SF6.

- Nobody plugged.

- People rematch way more often in T8 than in SF6.

- I think it happened 3 times, against opponents with ranks way higher than me. It's like... People clowning on you? They get 2 perfect rounds, then they let you win 2 rounds, let you take a good chunk of health of them in the last round and then start beating your rear end again to win the game. It's such a weird attitude I never seen anything like it in SF6 :psyduck:

My experience may be special because I'm in the lower ranks, but still, it's kind of interesting for me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Symbolic Butt posted:

- I think it happened 3 times, against opponents with ranks way higher than me. It's like... People clowning on you? They get 2 perfect rounds, then they let you win 2 rounds, let you take a good chunk of health of them in the last round and then start beating your rear end again to win the game. It's such a weird attitude I never seen anything like it in SF6 :psyduck:

I play around sometimes if I'm clearly wiping the floor with someone. It's not clowning though, I'd rather see what you got than just continue running offense you don't have an answer for. It's more like adapting so we can have fun together than anything adversarial. Not just gonna hand you a win though, so i'm taking the last round.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I've definitely lost games because I was absolutely destroying someone and decided I needed to finish with a specific move, messed it up and died

Hubris :negative:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't see this at all in Purple ranks. Must be a lower rank thing.

Sometimes if I am destroying someone I try to use Jack's jetpack thing to land on their head... but that's it. Definitely never let anybody win rounds etc. on purpose.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
I might try to work on a part of my gameplay I'm less confident in if I'm in a massive lead, like experimenting with sidestep/sidewalk opportunities or moves I would like to do more but don't come up instinctually, which does sometimes cost a round or two, but I never intentionally lose rounds.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

What are your options for waking up in the face down head towards position?

I lost to a tenryu Feng that took one round by getting a knockdown in that position then just sort of doing this same sorta kick that would re-ground me :confused:

Just holding back didn't seem to do it, did I need to mash a button to tech roll or something?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Just holding back didn't seem to do it, did I need to mash a button to tech roll or something?

yep, just tap 1 or 3 right when you hit the ground. you can mash it if you want but the window's pretty generous.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

What are your options for waking up in the face down head towards position?

I lost to a tenryu Feng that took one round by getting a knockdown in that position then just sort of doing this same sorta kick that would re-ground me :confused:

Holding back can be a trap that can get you caught in an infinite death loop.

Tech rolling, or pressing up (gets up quicker) and then back to block can get you up out of situations like that. I think it depends on who you're against though?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 16, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Holding back can be a trap that can get you caught in an infinite death loop.

Tech rolling, or pressing up (gets up quicker) and then back to block can get you up out of situations like that. I think it depends on who you're against though?

Oh huh, for some reason I had it in my head that if you got hit and then held back it got you out of the situation (at a cost of taking a hit). In this case though it was versus Feng and it was definitely a trap

Honestly getting up off the ground without eating a bunch more damage is probably still my biggest weakness in a lot of ways. Not that I'm particularly good at anything else mind you :v:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

After extensive scientific research I now believe that the dreaded UEpolaris crash is caused by AMD resizeable bar. Almost everyone with this glitch has a 6800 variant card, including me. I disabled resizablebar and so far the game seems stable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Nice Van My Man posted:

After extensive scientific research I now believe that the dreaded UEpolaris crash is caused by AMD resizeable bar. Almost everyone with this glitch has a 6800 variant card, including me. I disabled resizablebar and so far the game seems stable.

Thanks for this, I'll have to check it later; I've got a 6950 and have these periodic crashes so that would make sense.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

drat good find if that's the case, I know hella people still get that crash

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I get it with a 5700XT, but have somewhat mitigated it with -sm5 and one of the lowest graphical options.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The low graphics stuff used to work for me but then it started crashing a lot after the last patch. This seems to have fixed it, although the crashes are weirdly intermitent so I'll report back if it starts crashing again.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried fixing it and accidently made it worse.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I've had some funny moments playing this game by so far my highlight is sealing out a sweaty match with Paul's ridiculous backflip. Yahooooooooo!!!!!! Close second is a match I played against as Bryan and I swear the other guy didn't block a single df2 the whole time, so all you could hear was TEKTEKTEKTEKTEK

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm sorry to report that after playing a long Friday session the UEPolris crashes have started again. It seems like there's nothing I can do to stop them now, and I've tried every imaginary fix posted on the internet. To try to keep the crashes to a minimum I've set all graphics to low like some sort of degenerate Quake player.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
bamco can't fix that they're too busy adding low poly low res old costumes to the tekken shop

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm sorry to report that after playing a long Friday session the UEPolris crashes have started again. It seems like there's nothing I can do to stop them now, and I've tried every imaginary fix posted on the internet. To try to keep the crashes to a minimum I've set all graphics to low like some sort of degenerate Quake player.

Try XeSS Performance with everything set to low and -sm5?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I've been where you are, though I have a 6750, and rolling my drivers back was the only thing that fixed it for me. I'm quick posting but here's a link with some tweets in it for Some Guy's explanation

https://www(dot)eventhubs.com/news/2024/mar/02/tekken-crash-fix-pc/

Edit:
Sorry for the lovely source on this. Main point is it seems like whatever AMD did to accommodate T8 fucks everything up for some people and you may just have to rollback to drivers from before the game launched. I did all the stuff you've mentioned with similar results; more stability for a while, followed by eventual crashes. Rolling back to 23.11.1 drivers was the only thing that's worked as annoying and dumb as that is.

wigglin fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

... I think the old driver works! Every time I think something works the game starts crashing again but I've played quite a bit. I guess this means this is squarely AMDs fault. I hope they release a fix because it does kind of suck being stuck on old graphics drivers, not that I notice the difference anywhere.

Also I changed my name to UE-Polaris and zero people rematched me lol.