Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #12

Rather than adding a bunch of hardcoded systems for all the different kinds of ways nations interact outside of standard diplomacy, they have added the concept of 'International Organisations' , a highly flexible and moddable generic system. This covers everything from quasi-nations like the HRE and Shogunate, to religious organisations like the Catholic Church, to tributary networks, to temporary organisations like coalitions.
:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Loving the dynamic IGO's. Cool concept and the possibilities for modding make it even more insanely cool. Imagine anbennar with those tools.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

JosefStalinator posted:

Loving the dynamic IGO's. Cool concept and the possibilities for modding make it even more insanely cool. Imagine anbennar with those tools.
Time to mod the French crown as an IGO Paris, London and possibly Dijon try to get uncontested control over.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

This game is gonna run like an absolute dog lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eu5 will be brittany's time to shine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Two Frances ???

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

skasion posted:

I've been wondering about this. I expect that there is going to be some system of consolidating "locations" so that they get processed together if possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Two Frances ???

Seven Frances actually

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Is this a belated April Fools prank on us map whores?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing as "Frisian Freedom" will be weird

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Seven Frances actually

maybe more. imagine.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skasion posted:

It'll probably walk fine. For almost a full decade or two.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Balkans were such an ungodly rat's nest in Imp I'm sad EUV has so few impassables in the Dinaric Alps. Always wonder how they make these calls.

Orv
May 4, 2011

skasion posted:

Holy Roman (Unhandled) Exception

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Jay Rust posted:

Playing as "Frisian Freedom" will be weird

The area was not a state. It was a collection of feuds inside and between dozens of 'lands'. Civil government was done by the Church, with a large power for abbeys - and military orders - who owned one third of the land. Legal power was in the hands of judges, bound to certain physical houses, who could only issue advisary judgements in matters of feuds.

Just in the current province of Groningen, there were seven sovereign Frisian lands.

By 1500, a local noble from East Frisia succeeds in gathering enough control to become a soveriegn Count, but Middle Frisia and the Ommelanden are absorbed into the Burgundy lands (that name Burgundian was in use here in the North, long after the Habsburg inheritance, as Burgundy had been a threat to the North since the late 1300's.

Before the "Frisian Freedom" can act 'internationally', it should first overcome its permanent state of civil war.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

gonna play as SO many minor countries, lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

skasion posted:

on the one hand it won’t be limited to one core, on the other jfc i don’t know if i can deal with 6000 micro states

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

gonna play as france 1 2 3 and 4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

this sucks. All of europe will descend on me to protect precious Rio

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Talking Aztecs more, for anyone wondering, Mesoamerican Tributaries count for "non-tributary subject" requirements on missions and Nahualt reforms (and presumably other things). This should allow buzzing through the Aztec tree and Nahuatl reforms super fast with the right sort of aggressive play, and has probably has repercussions for shenanigans with other mission trees.

Jay Rust posted:

Eat one of the Mediterranean minors, then with that for naval attrition, use your gold to fund fleets of heavies in every Euro sea region so they can never get to the Americas to fight you.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Jay Rust posted:

Sell em 4 provinces so it becomes a colony and then just conquer em.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roadie posted:

Talking Aztecs more, for anyone wondering, Mesoamerican Tributaries count for "non-tributary subject" requirements on missions and Nahualt reforms (and presumably other things). This should allow buzzing through the Aztec tree and Nahuatl reforms super fast with the right sort of aggressive play, and has probably has repercussions for shenanigans with other mission trees.

I played aztecs a bit and reformed by 1480 without trying particularly hard. The key is that only disloyal vassals break free. Reforming gives +50% liberty desire so they'll break free on the second reform, but it means you only have to play the minigame three times (reforming twice each from the first two sets of vassals). You keep doom down by demanding sacrifices from your subjects (either via a diplomatic action or a subject interaction; these have slightly different numbers. I can only assume paradox forgot they already did it once in a previous expansion and added it again lol)

The game was pretty boring after that though because I had the most passive europe I've ever seen. Portugal was only in the Caribbean, and Spain was only in Rio De Plata. I ended up reforming off of Great Britain in like 1530 after a bunch of speed 5 waiting, instantly catching up in tech without ever once being even vaguely threatened by a European

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Box wine posted:

big_brain_huayna_capac.jpg

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Box wine posted:

Was going to post this, well played

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Very smart play, alas they were my rivals and you can't sell provinces to rivals, which is hosed UP

The resultant war took 7 years and cost many many thousands of lives

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But that one province was worth it.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Jay Rust posted:

Very smart play, alas they were my rivals and you can't sell provinces to rivals, which is hosed UP

The resultant war took 7 years and cost many many thousands of lives

Doh, if it helps I had to suicide my armies into France to get 80 army tradition for the new achievement. It's funny, until it isn't.

e: Like hell I don't have to sunset invade you stupid loving achievement.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Box wine posted:

Doh, if it helps I had to suicide my armies into France to get 80 army tradition for the new achievement. It's funny, until it isn't.

e: Like hell I don't have to sunset invade you stupid loving achievement.

Same except it was Ming. But I did sunset invade.

I found that whole Inca achievement run to be pretty tedious in the end. I finished it off but I don't think I'll be playing it again. To play an american empire really reveals the weakness of the current trade system. Like, I'm the #1 great power and the Peruvian highlands are the most developed region in the entire world but sure I make more money in Seville and The English Channel.

The early panama canal achievement was notably puzzling because I did not have the cash to do it for ages.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #13

An outline of religion. Religions are mostly the same as in EU4, but conversion will be handled through government actions and infrastructure rather than sending one guy to convert a whole province.

One interesting thing is that religious mechanics can now have major impacts on gameplay, for example Jains cannot declare No-CB wars, and Calvinists don't reroll dice in battle (I guess that means they stick with whatever their first roll was?).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sybot posted:

Calvinists don't reroll dice in battle (I guess that means they stick with whatever their first roll was?).

Lmfao. Predestined combat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Late game eu4 is so boring to me (late game being like post-1675), at this point money is infinite, manpower is infinite, I’m regularly hitting the monarch point cap, wars are unloseable. This Sun God Inca achievement needs you to control all of South America AND embrace all institutions and I am very angry about that second part

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sybot posted:

Calvinists don't reroll dice in battle (I guess that means they stick with whatever their first roll was?).

very funny

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jay Rust posted:

Late game eu4 is so boring to me (late game being like post-1675), at this point money is infinite, manpower is infinite, I’m regularly hitting the monarch point cap, wars are unloseable. This Sun God Inca achievement needs you to control all of South America AND embrace all institutions and I am very angry about that second part

I think it's pretty boring for a lot of people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #13

An outline of religion. Religions are mostly the same as in EU4, but conversion will be handled through government actions and infrastructure rather than sending one guy to convert a whole province.

One interesting thing is that religious mechanics can now have major impacts on gameplay, for example Jains cannot declare No-CB wars, and Calvinists don't reroll dice in battle (I guess that means they stick with whatever their first roll was?).

That's very goofy, and I've never been a fan of the way Religion is gamified in PDX games, but gently caress Calvin and predestined rolls is very funny.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so roll a 9? if no, reload try again

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
From the dev responses, religion is at most half done at this point. Some highlights:

We can expect Islamic sects with more granularity than just sunni/shia.
Confucianism is something other than a religion in this game.
There's going to be something to represent how Buddhism feels like it belongs in both India and the far east, despite those being different religious groups
Shinto will have some sort of mechanic representing Buddhist syncetism
Animist is a placeholder; there will be more detail eventually. Though representing the true religious diversity of places that didn't have large organized religions is probably impossible, there will be something communicating that the 'animist' of one province isn't the same as the 'animist' of the province next door

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jay Rust posted:

Late game eu4 is so boring to me (late game being like post-1475),

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
After some testing, I think it should be possible to get through the entire set of Aztec reforms well before any Europeans show without any vassals breaking away at all, if you can windmill slam through the mission tree fast enough. I almost managed it (4 out of 5) and that was with missing the last -10% liberty desire modifier because I messed up one of my wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
New Tinto Maps is France: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-maps-3-24th-of-may-2024.1681426/

I'm a little worried that modeling the French nobility as subjects will make it difficult to model the way that they had the ability to pick sides in the hundred years war and sometimes attain functional independence. Will historical burgundy ever happen if burgundy starts as a subject? Though no doubt the hundred years war is a headlining feature and they've given thought to how to model it properly