Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal

There he go
By "mid" I don't mean it was bad. I still finished it and kind of enjoyed it, it was just ultimately disappointing.

Almost done with MGSV. The ending was kind of spoiled for me a long time ago but I've still had fun. I can definitely tell it was unfinished though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Another pro tier mid: Farcry: Roman Numeral

Bobby Deluxe

Finger Prince posted:

Assassin's Creed: Every Assassin's Creed
just my notes as someone who has played most of them

1 was an interesting concept at the time but its playability has aged badly which is why they wont rerelease it

2 was great, no notes, get it if its cheap

the other ezio ones blur into one but the parkour memories in revelations were cool

3 was dull and its messaging was deeply confused (you play as a templar? no wait, you play as native american but it only briefly covers that and then for most of the game you might as well be a colonist since it doesn't use any of that as a lens through which to view the war of independence)

4 was fun, especially messing around on the ship but went on way too long and i will be honest i would have killed that timothy dalton looking motherfucker way earlier edward. like the second i saw him. stab. game far less annoying

stopped playing unity at the 2nd mission because the controls were dogshit, the stealth was broken to force you to do it one way and ultimately i just didnt care at all. eyeballs-glitch-dot-jpeg. this and syndicate mark The Bad Years where the franchise almost died. there might be another one idk

i liked origins but it almost feels like its not an assassins creed game its so different. also i am a sucker for egypt and bayeks story is :unsmith: its good, you should try it. it randomly gives you premium cosmetics so by the time i was finished i was riding round on a unicorn dressed as anubis

i might play the greek one next year but i need regular breaks from those games because oh my god do they wear you down by the end

weebs are going to have fun with the japan one that has been announced, aka inferior sekiro

thankyou for coming to my bob talk

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

The only fallout I've played is fallout 4, and that's probably the second best bethesda game I've played, the first being skyrim, and that's a pretty loving incredible track record imo. (I've only played 2 bethesda games (apparently doom and hexen are bethesda games, but I'm not including those))

yeah imo there's a big difference between "bethesda game" i.e. games made by bethesda on the elder scrolls engine and "game published by bethesda because they own id software"

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Farecoal

There he go
I did not like Assassin's Credit 1 but when I played it in middle school for the first and only time, I remember marveling at seeing Damascus for the first time from stop a cliff

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

more falafel please posted:

yeah imo there's a big difference between "bethesda game" i.e. games made by bethesda on the elder scrolls engine and "game published by bethesda because they own id software"

everyone always says stuff like this even tho the ~~~elder scrolls engine~~~ also made a million other games like catherine, el shaddai, Rocksmith 2014, way of the samurai 3, and wheel of fortune. i have no idea where this persistent myth about gamebryo being the cause of modern bethesda games feeling buggy and same-y comes from but it’s Super Weird. the creation engine they built off of it for skyrim and FO4 is jankier but that’s because bethesda themselves are janky

deep dish peat moss

Bethesda-developed games are legitimately buggy because of gamebryo but it's not because gamebryo itself has problems. It's because the current engine that Bethesda uses is Gamebryo with a whole lot of 3rd-party plugins haphazardly stitched onto it to make it do things it wasn't originally designed to do. For every new in-house game they claim to have a "brand new engine" but it's always just gamebryo with even more plugins and duct tape slapped on it.

The 3rd party games that use it don't use all those crazy plugins generally

Finger Prince

Oh right, yeah I remember watching a YouTube mini-doc about that whole thing.

Finger Prince

Bobby Deluxe posted:

thankyou for coming to my bob talk

The Egypt one is amazing and full of splendor. I never did finish it though, it goes on forever.

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i am genuinely really happy for the people who like or even love skyrim and the other games of that ilk. i'm glad you folks have a game you enjoy playing and find fun. i just will never see what you see and i will forever find it completely baffling

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Bobby Deluxe

Finger Prince posted:

The Egypt one is amazing and full of splendor. I never did finish it though, it goes on forever.
i didnt 100% it but i did look up all of the unique scripted quests that have dialogue and they are all pretty good

it was so good i sort of forget its an assassins creed game

ToastGhost

20% cooler
Red Dead Redemption 2 is the most immersive game for me because my name is Arthur so anytime they're like "We just need a little more money, Arthur" Or "Arthur, you cover the front!" I'm like, THAT'S ME!!! I'M ARTHUR!!! I'LL SHOOT THE BAD GUYS AND BE SUPER HONORABLE

calhoun

I am the scary clown with the tearaway face
bought a second copy of Borderlands to learn more about Claptrap

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority
Mega Man X8 was mid, meaning it was better than at least two other X games (yes, your least favorite two; they're mine, too). I didn't realize there was a new X game until I happened to see it at Hollywood Video. I rented it, played it over the weekend, cheesed everything with Zero's spin slash, had fun, and returned it feeling that the $5.99 I paid was fine. I meant to buy it later, but never did, and I still haven't bothered because honestly I'd rather just play the good ones (:same:). But it's worth playing if you liked the PS1 games for Zero, or have always wished Mega Man X was voiced by the shining finger guy.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Animal Well update : beat the "main path" but that's only scratching the surface. insane amount of detail, baffling how this is the work of one guy. possible GOTY

Having now gotten all 65 eggs and seen the second credit roll, gotta say it's a secret lovers dream. So much stuff packed into what would be the update size for a lesser game. Add to that the fact that there's apparently more to discover after this, it's a gem and if you haven't, you need to play it

calhoun

calhoun posted:

bought a second copy of Borderlands to learn more about Claptrap

intro impressions:
i chose Roland, the gunslinger and the black man, to traverse the desert world of Pandora. (i'm making a Dark Tower reference here, not just racial, obviously... hopefully)
claptrap is trusted by Pandora's goddess (Wisdom? Athena? something else?). i have no choice but to follow. it's an adventure. i like how she cares for claptrap.
marcus is an interesting name for me, too. he implied that the game is repetitious/cyclical as i got off of the bus (like diablo's normal/nightmare/hell/etc?). i'm curious about what the treasure will actually be.

randy pitchford is also a magician, i believe. :)

watho

i have a lot of issues with borderlands as a franchise but almost every game in it has at least something about it that i really like. the first game is an eternal classic for me tho. it's probably at least some part nostalgia but i just really like how it plays and the atmosphere of it

Bobby Deluxe

1 was fun although 2 completely eclipsed it and they don't seem to have really been able to recapture the magic since

i tried tiny tinas wonderlands which should have been a no brainer goty, but almost every gun feels not quite right and you level up so fast that even when you do find one you like, it is underlevelled in about 10 minutes time

watho

2 does a lot of things better than 1 but there's quite a few steps back and a handful things that just really hamper it for me. i still really like it but i don't really get the urge to revisit it

calhoun

i'm still early in it but i'm looking forward to the simplicity of the ps3 era despite what frustrations may come. fingers crossed!

edit: beat nine-toes and the goddess told me that the world is full of dangers and may try to mislead me and that i "cannot be swayed from" my purpose. very good. she will protect me. very reassuring for my adventure.

edit2: her robotic voice sounds almost exactly like the supposedly Mother Earth's voice which I heard in April 2023. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4029685 (sadly, i edited out most of my posts there!)

edit3: your posts in that thread still Get Me good, Q....

Quadramind posted:

Maybe not the gamer mom, but definitely a gamer mom. She played the gently caress out of Icewind Dale for a looong time and was always beta testing things. She taught me how to install mods for The Sims as well. Dope mom.

calhoun fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 20, 2024

Quadramind

good thread, if a little gapped now. here's to gamer mams

it's only afternoon time and I've already played cuphead, shovel knight, super meat boy, and balatro today

when it games it pours

DoomCroissant

Roll D3 for Delicious Flaky Crust
played a good chunk of slay the princess last night

i liked the story and the artwork, but once i figured out what the game was asking me to do, the interactions felt less impactful

there's only so much you can do with the visual novel genre, but it's a well-made and interesting one, so it's still worth a look

kalel

been playing a hack of yugioh forbidden memories for ps1. played the game a whole bunch as a kid but I didn't have the correct memory card to save my progress so I basically played the tutorial and a little past it over and over, dozens of times. the hack (yugioh fm: arrange) simplifies fusions and smoothes the difficulty curve. it's a lot of fun!

watho

got a hankering to play max payne again so playing max payne i am

DoomCroissant

Roll D3 for Delicious Flaky Crust

watho posted:

got a hankering to play max payne again so playing max payne i am

jumping and shooting never felt so good

Finger Prince

I played animal well. Pretty neat for a while, and then you get to the part with bubbles, and seriously, gently caress jumping puzzles.

Shard

DoomCroissant posted:

jumping and shooting never felt so good

there is a scene in the beginning of the 2nd level where you blow off a metal door. I remember thinking in 2001 just how amazing the graphics looked. It can't be overstated how fast graphics improved in the 90s and 00s. The leaps were nuts.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Finger Prince posted:

I played animal well. Pretty neat for a while, and then you get to the part with bubbles, and seriously, gently caress jumping puzzles.

the game gets much more challenging than that but it's so worth the effort. I finally watched the ending credits roll today and I've still got so much work to do

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Bobby Deluxe

baldurs gate 3 is making me sad

i really want to like it but this is the fourth time i have had to reload a 2 day old save because of a bug in the main story

if you hit da bricks instead of going to the coronation a whole bunch of quests get sequencing bugs further down the line. if you go in with karlach (the person who literally has a 'confront gortash' objective) it breaks wylls quest. if you dont go along with it everyone in the room goes hostile and a bunch of quests break

i was only rushing ahead in the first place to find out if i screwed up by siding with the guild down by the docks

watho

Shard posted:

there is a scene in the beginning of the 2nd level where you blow off a metal door. I remember thinking in 2001 just how amazing the graphics looked. It can't be overstated how fast graphics improved in the 90s and 00s. The leaps were nuts.

honestly it still looks cool as hell

watho

one of my favorite things about max payne (including 2) is the repeated use of bomb based humor. the bit where two goons fail to defuse a bomb is really good but then the icing of the cake is when you try to open the door next to where it blew up the door is locked but then the entire wall except for the door falls down in a buster keaton style gag

Shine

No Muscles For The Majority
Max Payne had a weird loving face and the game ruled.

watho

Shine posted:

this

Shard

Shine posted:

the best part is that it's the face of the main developer and the current head of Remedy. He's in the new Alan Wake game

Bobby Deluxe

i feel like he is the brother of another famous game designer but i can not remember who

more falafel please

forums poster

if you guys like max payne you may also like John Woo Presents: Stranglehold (2007) which incidentally is my first credited title

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
been playing xcom 2, and i just realized it's p weird they're still refering to the space invaders' crafts as ufos. like, they're already running the show on earth, i think we've identified their flying objects a long time ago

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rockman Reserve

persona 5 strikers is super fun, how does dynasty warriors + SMT work at all? no idea, but it does

Rockman Reserve

the downside is I had a really lovely day at work and was basically panicking about a series of meetings and got the rushing-to-the-boss song Life Will Change stuck in my head super bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho

if you guys like max payne you may also like John Woo Presents: Stranglehold (2007) which incidentally is my first credited title

i do. there's something very funny to me about a video game sequel to a john woo film that draws all of its inspiration from a game that drew all of its inspiration from john woo films