Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Rotating shapes in your head is just something you can or can’t do easily, and there is a very weak correlation between being able to do it and success in STEM fields. This of course makes it the ideal interview question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plorkyeran posted:

Rotating shapes in your head is just something you can or can’t do easily, and there is a very weak correlation between being able to do it and success in STEM fields. This of course makes it the ideal interview question.

its also something that will filter out women disproportionately to men :eng101:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Plorkyeran posted:

Psychometrics are all superstition. In a business context, getting it catastrophically wrong is a positive differentiator for your product: it allows your proprietary results to be totally distinct from all your competitors.

leper khan posted:

its also something that will filter out women disproportionately to men :eng101:
I wonder if the USB Type A generation fares better on this.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 17, 2024

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

leper khan posted:

I worked with a woman who could not tell her left from her side without looking at her hands to see which thumb and index finger made the L. One of the features she worked on was code for hanging mammograms on a computer screen. It did not seem to impede her at all at writing the code for that.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I worked with a woman who could not tell her left from her side without looking at her hands to see which thumb and index finger made the L. One of the features she worked on was code for hanging mammograms on a computer screen. It did not seem to impede her at all at writing the code for that.

I'm not that bad, but I'm pretty close. I'm terrible at that sort of thing, but x/y coordinates and things of that ilk are easy peasy no problem at all. I would have absolutely bombed that question, the combination I thought was correct wasn't even an option. :negative:

Thanks to those who provided the answer.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

leper khan posted:

That's probably also a plus for the people who think it's a good idea to use it as a question.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I have a permanent callus from the days when we used physical writing devices. I still feel for that callus to tell which is left and right, even if I don't have to. Like a subtle tick.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Starting prep to get back in interviewing shape, here's my plan:

- Data structures/algos: do the neetcode 150 (https://neetcode.io/practice). Halfway through this
- Do some system design prep. Read designing data intensive applications and this book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CMF2CQF?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). Done most of these books, going to practice with a friend when ready.
- Making a presentation of all the projects I've worked on and want to highlight in an interview.

Does this look fine? Anyone have suggestions or stuff you'd add? (i'll be applying to EM or staff eng roles)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
em or staff eng? interview process is completely different for both those

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

em or staff eng? interview process is completely different for both those

Not sure completely yet, wanted to cover my bases. I haven't interviewed in years and my last interview was for Senior SWE (currently an EM) so open to any suggestions

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Those are two very different jobs with different expectations and skill sets/experience

I’d focus on which track you want to commit to before worrying about interview prep

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

This may seem like a silly question but what an EM? Been trying to search it and not coming up with anything.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

engineering manager

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

engineering manager

Thanks! That’s actually what I was thinking but wasn’t sure.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Prep your stories for the behavioral interview, for questions like, “tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager on the product direction.” The answer should be in a format like context-problem-solution-result. If you have a dozen ready to go you’ll be able to find a story that’s close enough to the question.

I don’t know if that’s a what you mean by…

mila kunis posted:

- Making a presentation of all the projects I've worked on and want to highlight in an interview.

… but I just want call out the format you’ll probably be asked.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
welp I finally got, got. what are people using for resume templates these days

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

welp I finally got, got. what are people using for resume templates these days

my old resumes

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Guinness posted:

Those are two very different jobs with different expectations and skill sets/experience

I’d focus on which track you want to commit to before worrying about interview prep

I have plenty of time for that, I don't plan to actively look for another few months. I want to do some studying in the meantime and came here for suggestions. From my understanding, regardless of the track you choose you're still going to have to do the data structures and algos / system design gauntlet in interviews (unfortunately the case in my company's interviews for those roles). Is that incorrect?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I became a tryhard and used this latex template: https://github.com/ridhamdave/resume-latex

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i've seen lotsa em positions filled by "i know a guy who knows a guy" sorta things in smaller places

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

lifg posted:

I became a tryhard and used this latex template: https://github.com/ridhamdave/resume-latex

thank you :stoked:

leper khan posted:

my old resumes

change is good, you should embrace it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been using the same resume since I got a job at the mall, I'm not about to abandon it :colbert:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

thank you :stoked:

dont change what works. i get hits on my current format so its good

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i've seen lotsa em positions filled by "i know a guy who knows a guy" sorta things in smaller places

Assuming all parties are acting in good faith, this is realistically a pretty slam dunk for most smaller places. Like yeah, there's obviously problems with nepotism, but when you don't have the pay or the reputation to attract top performers, it's often extremely important to try and avoid subpar employees that might chatgpt their way through an interview, and knowing 'oh I worked with that guy before and he is solid, and he's recommending someone' is honestly a pretty reasonable way to find staff.

You shouldn't only do that, and obviously if parties aren't acting in good faith it gets bad fast, but I still think it's a pretty reasonable approach.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, it aint a value judgement. your first recourse getting em interviews has gotta be network

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I have, for the first time, experienced the (I thought mythical) "How dare you try to negotiate? Offer withdrawn!"

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Another thing someone pointed out to me in this thread is that by definition, most jobs looking to hire had people leave, and when people leave a job, a lot of times it's because the job has some sort of problem.

This leads to an unfortunate bit of oddsmaking: probability indicates that you're more likely to be applying to a bad job than a good one, assuming everything else is equal. Now, that isn't 100%, but it's one of the big advantages of networking, since you can often get at least a reasonably honest appraisal of what is wrong with the job, and decide for yourself whether or not you are willing to deal with that downside. It might be an opportunity - going into a job with gaps and the skills to fill them can be pretty rewarding, as long as you don't end up overwhelmed or underappreciated.

crazypenguin posted:

I have, for the first time, experienced the (I thought mythical) "How dare you try to negotiate? Offer withdrawn!"

This feels like a bullet dodged situation, IMO, or at least it's probably best to just mentally think of it as such.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Definitely taking it as bullet dodged, but it's still a mindfuck that I didn't really have much else in the way of red flags during the process until it suddenly blew up right at the end.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

mila kunis posted:

I have plenty of time for that, I don't plan to actively look for another few months. I want to do some studying in the meantime and came here for suggestions. From my understanding, regardless of the track you choose you're still going to have to do the data structures and algos / system design gauntlet in interviews (unfortunately the case in my company's interviews for those roles). Is that incorrect?

I haven't run across a company that wants me to roll algos for an EM role yet. System design, yes. Code review was one. Mostly it's been behavioral/situational type stuff.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Falcon2001 posted:

Another thing someone pointed out to me in this thread is that by definition, most jobs looking to hire had people leave, and when people leave a job, a lot of times it's because the job has some sort of problem.

Often though, that problem is "existing employee finds out new hire is being paid 50% more for the same role, yet they can't find the money for the existing employee." Yes that is a problem with the way the company does business but that problem pervades the entire industry, which is why we change jobs every few years. It doesn't necessarily say a lot about any given company by itself.

crazypenguin posted:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

crazypenguin posted:

Just think of it like sales. Sometimes if a client isn't serious, they get cold feet right at the end or they're just kicking tires. You don't want to work for clients that don't know what they want or what they need.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Falcon2001 posted:

Places grow, also. It's definitely important to ask why a role is open

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"how or why did you get approval to increase the budget for this type of role?" is usually a top 10 question for the hiring manager, and the answer usually tells you volumes

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Hadlock posted:

"how or why did you get approval to increase the budget for this type of role?" is usually a top 10 question for the hiring manager, and the answer usually tells you volumes

Ooh, that's interesting. Can you expand, please? What kinds of answers can one get, and what do they imply?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

12Apr1961 posted:

Ooh, that's interesting. Can you expand, please? What kinds of answers can one get, and what do they imply?

"Our team is doubling in size for the third time to capitalize on opportunity" says very different things from "the last guy quit".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

12Apr1961 posted:

There are really only two possible answers: either they're replacing someone who left, or they're growing the team. Just knowing that doesn't tell you much, but as long as they offer a bit of explanation that can tell you quite a bit about how things are. If they don't offer that explanation then you should be concerned.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ultrafilter posted:

There are really only two possible answers: either they're replacing someone who left, or they're growing the team. Just knowing that doesn't tell you much, but as long as they offer a bit of explanation that can tell you quite a bit about how things are. If they don't offer that explanation then you should be concerned.

Also promotion backfill and restructuring (real stuff, like "we're moving consultants in-house")

I like the angle of asking how the budget was increased because "We plan to grow by 10% a year" vs "The VP told me to do it" vs "I went through the standard process" vs "I cried for 3 months straight" all say very different things about a company.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

You can also read a lot from how people deliver the response too.

"Ah, our senior engineer just got promoted and works as a lead architect now, so we have an opening" is very different than "Oh we had a guy who was just terrible and complained about the worklife balance and then quit without notice", or even "We can't disclose that information".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There is definitely a lot of information you can get from the answer. Is this a new team looking to grow? Adding headcount to an existing team? Backfilling a promotion? Trying to make up for the tide of escaping employees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Or: we got bought, they fired almost everyone, and finally we were able to get a req after screaming for 5 years.