Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aww, turns out Duterte was just feeling cranky and needed a snack and some bedtime. He didn't mean it, you guysss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
How are people in the Philippines reacting to Duterte's sudden rapprochement with China, to the point of suggesting that he'll start a new UN with the PRC?

It makes sense on a realpolitik level for smaller countries to play the US and China against each other, but it really seems like a "always at war with Eurasia vs Eastasia" moment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sincx posted:

How are people in the Philippines reacting to Duterte's sudden rapprochement with China, to the point of suggesting that he'll start a new UN with the PRC?

It makes sense on a realpolitik level for smaller countries to play the US and China against each other, but it really seems like a "always at war with Eurasia vs Eastasia" moment.
Considering that the Philippines has always been quite pro-US since WW2 I would imagine that Duerte grovelling to China could be seen as a massive loving betrayal. Someone should covertly take him out like Mosadegh-style.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I see a few naysayers here and there but honestly it's all being overshadowed by the shitshow that is the extrajudicial killings that have been happening. There are currently hearings about it and I honestly can't loving believe people are just flat out defending these killings on account of "at least now the people dying are guilty". If you bring up China with these guys it doesn't fit into their worldview so they'll just go and discard that and please someone help me I just want to get out of here.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Argue posted:

I see a few naysayers here and there but honestly it's all being overshadowed by the shitshow that is the extrajudicial killings that have been happening. There are currently hearings about it and I honestly can't loving believe people are just flat out defending these killings on account of "at least now the people dying are guilty". If you bring up China with these guys it doesn't fit into their worldview so they'll just go and discard that and please someone help me I just want to get out of here.

Any truth to the accusations against de Lima or was he just inventing those out of whole cloth?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

He hasn't said anything substantial. Most of what I've heard amounts to personal attacks on her, like calling her an adultress. His biggest claim is that her ex-driver was not only her lover but also some kind of proxy between her and the drug lords, but nothing else he's said was anything that could be used in a case against her. I believe they're calling on said driver to testify.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

doesn't Philippines have a frosty relationship with China due to the south china sea ownership dispute?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

The Saddest Rhino posted:

doesn't Philippines have a frosty relationship with China due to the south china sea ownership dispute?

Yes and no. Under the previous president, Aquino, the Philippines took a pretty bold stance in calling out China. Certainly the most outspoken of the other 5 countries disputing China's claim. But it's hard for any country, especially an Asian one, to fight China diplomatically because of the need to access Chinese markets and capital. Arroyo, the president before Aquino, was much cozier with Beijing and even pursued a resource-sharing agreement with China and Vietnam over energy deposits in the SCS before it was shut down by Philippine courts as illegal (it was exclusively located in waters that should belong to the Philippines, and there were accusations that Arroyo was getting kickbacks related to the deal). Duterte needs to balance Philippine nationalism and sovereignty against the need for Chinese investment, so that's why you'll see him trying to mend ties with them on the SCS.

Argue posted:

He hasn't said anything substantial. Most of what I've heard amounts to personal attacks on her, like calling her an adultress. His biggest claim is that her ex-driver was not only her lover but also some kind of proxy between her and the drug lords, but nothing else he's said was anything that could be used in a case against her. I believe they're calling on said driver to testify.

Right, the drug-running lover-driver was the part I was thinking of. When I first read it it sounded like feeble attempts to discredit one of the few people who has spearheaded the calls for accountability in the killings, but reading Rappler and Philstar in following days, most people seemed to have an attitude of "YEAH, thank god you called her out, this bitch has been getting away with it for TOO LONG!" So I wasnt sure if there were some common knowledge/backstory I was missing, or if people are just really quick to hop on Duterte's hatewagon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't know much about her prior to the stuff that's been happening now but it seems to me that people are mad that she's daring to investigate the extrajudicial killings. My favorite thing is how they all prepend "so-called" every time they say "human rights advocates", especially in her case. Because gosh, why didn't she make a scene when non-druggies were being murdered by criminals?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've traveled to the Philippines once, and I have many friends from there. But I still don't know all of the history / situation that gave rise to Duterte.

My understanding is that the Philippines has high crime / drug use. Something as simple as marijuana possession gets you a life sentence in prison. I know when I was there, I was told not to give kids money on the streets since they likely were involved in crime rings. A lot of the citizens are pretty fed up with the crime / drug use, and saw Duterte as an enforcer by any means necessary to clean up the problem, even if it were basically killing a bunch of "suspected" drug dealers. My guess is that there's been innocents killed in this mess. But overall everyone seems to be happy that he's been doing this, and that tough change was necessary. From an outsider perspective, it's basically what an extreme right-wing conspiracy about Obama's FEMA death camps coming true, and the government rounding up the "intolerables" and ridding them.

Am I off base here? I know there's probably a lot more history behind all of this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The fun thing about all the extrajudicial killings is it can provide a great cover for killing any opponents or just about anybody by asserting that they're a drug user/dealer. Who needs to do an autopsy on a purported drug user? What a waste of money. Who needs to investigate the death of a supposed drug dealer? They obviously deserved it. Mob justice at its finest.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Mob justice at its finest.

unironically this

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CronoGamer posted:

Yes and no. Under the previous president, Aquino, the Philippines took a pretty bold stance in calling out China. Certainly the most outspoken of the other 5 countries disputing China's claim. But it's hard for any country, especially an Asian one, to fight China diplomatically because of the need to access Chinese markets and capital. Arroyo, the president before Aquino, was much cozier with Beijing and even pursued a resource-sharing agreement with China and Vietnam over energy deposits in the SCS before it was shut down by Philippine courts as illegal (it was exclusively located in waters that should belong to the Philippines, and there were accusations that Arroyo was getting kickbacks related to the deal). Duterte needs to balance Philippine nationalism and sovereignty against the need for Chinese investment, so that's why you'll see him trying to mend ties with them on the SCS.

Right, the drug-running lover-driver was the part I was thinking of. When I first read it it sounded like feeble attempts to discredit one of the few people who has spearheaded the calls for accountability in the killings, but reading Rappler and Philstar in following days, most people seemed to have an attitude of "YEAH, thank god you called her out, this bitch has been getting away with it for TOO LONG!" So I wasnt sure if there were some common knowledge/backstory I was missing, or if people are just really quick to hop on Duterte's hatewagon.
That doesn't sound like the soundest idea considering the current state of China's economy. Which is set to implode again pretty soon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CronoGamer posted:

The legitimate part of the criticism regarding Senator De Lima is that she was the head of the Department of Justice under the Aquino administration and how that relates to New Bilibid Prison, the main penitentiary of the Philippines.

It's somewhat infamous for actually being not all that secure in terms of limiting freedom of the inmates: they'd have TVs inside, cellphones, you'd even have strippers entering the premises to do gigs for the high-profile prisoners inside, and the police could never seem to clean it up, despite frequent raids into the prison grounds.

The general consensus is that it's a failure of De Lima to get that place in order. We do a Bureau of Corrections, but the DOJ could have cracked down harder on people who are already in prison, yet seem to still be able to run their criminal organizations from the inside anyway.

The "hatewagon" part of the criticism regarding the Senator is that she ran on a "crusader for justice" image during the elections, so the portrayal of her as a harlot, and the accusations of her having drug ties, is a terrible juxtaposition since she positioned herself as being on the moral high-ground. You just know that there's a political agenda behind these things because the President only brought them up once the Senate hearings into extra-judicial killings were about to commence, but it's very easy for the President to destroy someone's credibility on his mere say-so to his supporters, and even moderates are wincing at her not being above reproach.

Spoiler alert: there isn't anyone in Philippine politics who doesn't have dirt on them, which is going to make concerted political opposition to the President difficult, since anyone that tries to be the nominal center of such a faction is going to get torn down in a New York minute, much in the same way De Lima has.

sincx posted:

Most people are incensed at China, given their activities in the South China Sea.

The liberal demographic don't like how much Duterte has been cozying up with the PRC, and they don't like that he wants to conduct bilateral rather than multi-lateral talks regarding the SCS issue. Our current Foreign Affairs Secretary is largely an idiot who was caught lying about how he was the one who urged the ASEAN to not recognize the UNCLOS ruling on the SCS, and Duterte's stance so far is largely a waste of what the Aquino administration worked for for so long.

Now, the President ran on a tough-guy image of "we're totally going to beat China", to the point where he promised to ride out on a skijet and plant a Philippine flag on the Scarborough Shoal, so his words and actions have so far been pretty two-faced. He says he wants to leave the UN and start a not-UN with hookers and blow China and Africa, but then he also just yesterday launched into a tirade about how he's totally going to destroy China should they choose to invade.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it. He's just flailing about.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Thanks for the explanation on the China w Philippines relations, really clears up a lot

I don't know how the country is coming out of this but it looks really similar to the communist panic in Indonesia (covered in documentaries The Act of Killing and it's sequel). There's some noise being made right now about a five year old child being murdered but I doubt this is going to deter the duterte supporters one bit

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

As requested in the crazy emails thread, I've made a thread for the Philippines (which in practice is probably just gonna be a thread about Duterte): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787820

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Thanks for the explanation on the China w Philippines relations, really clears up a lot

I don't know how the country is coming out of this but it looks really similar to the communist panic in Indonesia (covered in documentaries The Act of Killing and it's sequel). There's some noise being made right now about a five year old child being murdered but I doubt this is going to deter the duterte supporters one bit

The communist panic was a smokescreen to cover up the coup de tat. And then it was used to suppress any dissenting voice on the new ruler.

This is more of a megalomaniac clinging to power by blaming an easily blamed part of the community and persecuting them as a distraction from real issues. And also spouting grand promises with no logic or actual goals. Basically this is what would happen to US when if Trump is elected President.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wid posted:

The communist panic was a smokescreen to cover up the coup de tat. And then it was used to suppress any dissenting voice on the new ruler.

To add on to this, Ferdinand Marcos also used a Communist insurgency in the Philippines as a pre-text for declaring Martial Law in the 70s.

It's just that Communism is a small enough threat nowadays that you can't hang a "law-and-order" campaign on it anymore, so instead of accusing anyone who dare question the Executive of being a pinko, now it's accusations of being bought off by the drug lords, or being involved in the drug trade somehow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

To add on to this, Ferdinand Marcos also used a Communist insurgency in the Philippines as a pre-text for declaring Martial Law in the 70s.

It's just that Communism is a small enough threat nowadays that you can't hang a "law-and-order" campaign on it anymore, so instead of accusing anyone who dare question the Executive of being a pinko, now it's accusations of being bought off by the drug lords, or being involved in the drug trade somehow.

Would be funny if it turned out like in China where Mao was selling Opium to fund his operations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

I don't know how the country is coming out of this but it looks really similar to the communist panic in Indonesia (covered in documentaries The Act of Killing and it's sequel).

to call it a communist panic is misleading - Sukarno's PKI was literally the Communist Party of Indonesia, and his government was actually attempting to export revolution via the Konfrontasi, and these attempts were non-trivial as shown by the Brunei Revolt, involving many thousands of soldiers and armed maneuvers. the Chinese Cultural Revolution was in full swing and Mao was not adhering to Zhou Enlai's 1955 Bandung Conference commitment not to sponsor movements in the region. conversely the Americans were pouring thousands of troops into South Vietnam. this was not a hypothetical Red Scare. the Cold War was at its hottest in Southeast Asia and there was plenty to be rationally panicking about

relations between Sukarno's assorted factions had been deteriorating for a while, including between the PKI and other communists, and the final collapse was especially bloody as the state essentially disintegrated

I think comparisons to Duerte in 2016 strained at best.

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 26, 2016

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So it looks like things are picking up in thailand.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/andrew-macgregor-marshall/time-to-face-the-truth-in-thailand-king-bhumibols-reign-is-over/1248056648547005

http://www.asiasentinel.com/politic...campaign=buffer

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/finance/1081289/set-tumbles-31-82-to-1-455-38

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 8, 2016

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What is going on?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The King of Thailand is even more hospitalized than usual.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

The King of Thailand is even more hospitalized than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicbvWwQ_MA
Things are about to get interesting.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Announcement in about 15 minutes. Disregard this, rumor again.

FortMan fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 13, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2016/10/13/breaking-thailands-king-bhumibol-adulyadej-dies-aged-88-report/

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/786536756447289344

Barrow is a freelance reporter who's worked for multiple mainstream international outlets so this looks real.

E: BBC is reporting, it's real.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

And it's official. May he find rest.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the crown prince that everyone hates king yet?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vajiralongkorn is a respectful prince with proper manners; he is humble and knows protocol.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Badger of Basra posted:

Is the crown prince that everyone hates king yet?

I am certain that all posters living under Thai jurisdiction reject this outrageous and false characterization of the Thai people's sentiments.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Constant Hamprince posted:

I am certain that all posters living under Thai jurisdiction reject this outrageous and false characterization of the Thai people's sentiments.

ja

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Will my friends working as Thai environmental advisors need to run the gently caress away now or is it likely to all blow over? I'm not really sure where to find English language Thai-centric news that isn't censored to all hell.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spangly A posted:

Will my friends working as Thai environmental advisors need to run the gently caress away now or is it likely to all blow over? I'm not really sure where to find English language Thai-centric news that isn't censored to all hell.

They don't need to leave now. None of the factions would disrespect the King's memory by starting poo poo this soon.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what's most likely going to go down now...

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

From what was happening just before, it seems like the Crown Prince has been making a play to purge his father's closest friends and advisors. It's possible but I really don't think he'd have made that kind of play without some level of support from the Junta and I'm guessing they weren't as married to sidelining him as the royal advisors were. That is they're more concerned with having stability and staying in power than preserving the dignity of the crown or similar.

Basically he's probably happy to give up political power in exchange for a enjoying all the wealth of kingship and humiliating the people that tried to keep him in line for all those years.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I thought the King was a remarkable respectable man. Read the BBC report that he endured 19 coups in his life.

Now it's this guy running the Show

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting I would be very very surprised if SA is really part of the radar

Anyone know the story about the naked pictures in a party fiasco?

:nws: :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/status/786581822129909761

• Locked thread