Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

branedotorg posted:

I thought you nailed it

I only get pissy because all of my jokes are about what a low status person I am. I'm not punching down or up, just myself in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robert Deadford posted:

Hey! I have a book on Kindle Unlimited.

Unregistered

That description hit all my Capitalized Noun buttons; I don’t want to have to learn your clever term for the government, just make them The Government. Definitely grabbing that (but I can’t send it to my Kindle from a web browser?).

Marsupial Ape posted:

I need to read some of these if I want to do actual market research, but just can’t bite my belt and commit to reading one.

You’re not committing to a book to enjoy it, though, just to read N thousand words of semi-successful stuff to analyze it. The frog doesn’t have to be pretty, you’re going to dissect it. Maybe just read 2000 words of each of the top 5 books in your chosen sub-genre, to take your choice paralysis out of your hands.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Subjunctive posted:

You’re not committing to a book to enjoy it, though, just to read N thousand words of semi-successful stuff to analyze it. The frog doesn’t have to be pretty, you’re going to dissect it. Maybe just read 2000 words of each of the top 5 books in your chosen sub-genre, to take your choice paralysis out of your hands.

I will try that. Thanks.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

That description hit all my Capitalized Noun buttons; I don’t want to have to learn your clever term for the government, just make them The Government. Definitely grabbing that (but I can’t send it to my Kindle from a web browser?).

Sorry about the Capitalized Noun attack, I'm not sure how the capital G on government got there. Hope the book satisfies!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robert Deadford posted:

Sorry about the Capitalized Noun attack, I'm not sure how the capital G on government got there. Hope the book satisfies!

I wasn’t complaining, I unironically prefer that to calling the police the Wildermasters and the government the Elder Daroons or whatever. I’m going to go through a KU book in periodic bursts and if at some point I’m confused about who is what I’m honestly going to probably drop it because in the general case they are not worth re-studying.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Robert Deadford posted:

Unregistered

Really enjoying this so far - some seriously impressive prose. Well done!

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Coq au Nandos posted:

Really enjoying this so far - some seriously impressive prose. Well done!

That really means a lot to me, so thank you. I don't have much of a support network as a writer, and going the self-publishing route is quite a lonely experience. I'm hungry for feedback, even negative feedback.

Thanks again!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Robert Deadford posted:

That really means a lot to me, so thank you. I don't have much of a support network as a writer, and going the self-publishing route is quite a lonely experience. I'm hungry for feedback, even negative feedback.

Thanks again!

You’re very welcome! Just finished the book and seriously well done. A really engaging story with some of the best prose and character work I’ve read in ages. I really enjoyed the way you handled superpowers as well - Superman as a gravity wizard is a fun way of thinking about things. There’s a twist around 30% into the book that totally caught me by surprise, too.

One minor nitpick - Chapter 38 starts with the wrong character’s name (unless you’re going for a PTSD thing and I missed it, in which case sorry!).

My only other complaint is that the book is over and I want to read more book. Thank you for writing book and I will absolutely read whatever you put out next. Will drop you a review too! Hope the launch has been a good experience for you.

Edit: Actually I’m a little curious about the reasoning for setting the story in the year 2000. Was it just to avoid smartphones potentially getting in the way of plot stuff? Or are you setting us up for a Red Line vs Al Qaeda sequel set in late 2001?

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 16, 2023

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Coq au Nandos posted:

You’re very welcome! Just finished the book and seriously well done. A really engaging story with some of the best prose and character work I’ve read in ages. I really enjoyed the way you handled superpowers as well - Superman as a gravity wizard is a fun way of thinking about things. There’s a twist around 30% into the book that totally caught me by surprise, too.

One minor nitpick - Chapter 38 starts with the wrong character’s name (unless you’re going for a PTSD thing and I missed it, in which case sorry!).

My only other complaint is that the book is over and I want to read more book. Thank you for writing book and I will absolutely read whatever you put out next. Will drop you a review too! Hope the launch has been a good experience for you.

Edit: Actually I’m a little curious about the reasoning for setting the story in the year 2000. Was it just to avoid smartphones potentially getting in the way of plot stuff? Or are you setting us up for a Red Line vs Al Qaeda sequel set in late 2001?

Ack - you're right about Chapter 38! How did I miss that? I guess it was a PTSD thing after all.

I'm really happy you enjoyed it, and a review would be awesome.

As for your last point, the story isn't actually set in our timeline, and while smartphones aren't important for the story, the setting is about 10-12 years technologically ahead of our own. Not that it matters in this case. There is a reason for the story being set in 2000, and it pertains to Zeus, whose backstory I wanted to keep intact. He's about 70 years old in the story, so he can still justifiably be working. Making him 90+ years old wouldn't work.

I have ideas for other stories in the setting and have started work on a prequel involving Pyro. There are tentative plans for a prequel set in WW2, and I have the basis of a direct sequel.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Cradle anime is happening:
https://twitter.com/WilliamWight/status/1736799781639295117

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Here's hoping that their design for Lindon is thuggish as gently caress.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Darth Walrus posted:

Would be interesting to see how he looks beating up 12 year olds for the tournament.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Isn’t he supposed to be huge but plain farmer-looking until he cycles Blackflame madra, at which point he gets full villain lighting Kubrick-stare?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Nah part of why he gets in trouble is he is tall, broad shouldered, and has resting thug face. His parents are described as statuesque. Even without blackflame he looks like a sect leader's evil son whose gaze comes off more like a glare. Blackflame eyes make it even worse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bremen posted:

Would be interesting to see how he looks beating up 12 year olds for the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35_vbk8bLZU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Nah part of why he gets in trouble is he is tall, broad shouldered, and has resting thug face. His parents are described as statuesque. Even without blackflame he looks like a sect leader's evil son whose gaze comes off more like a glare. Blackflame eyes make it even worse.

I picture his face looking like Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Robert Deadford posted:

Unregistered
Read it, liked it, five star’ed it, thought it reminded me of something, didn’t know what.

Then tonight I spontaneously started watching season 3 of The Boys, which I’d yet to watch. Bingo, same larger genre of superheroes that cause bloody pain and death, with awareness of WW2. Great genre, and your book is of the genre, not a copy.

As an American though, the thought of any particular gun being hard to get is just odd.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Remulak posted:

Read it, liked it, five star’ed it, thought it reminded me of something, didn’t know what.

Then tonight I spontaneously started watching season 3 of The Boys, which I’d yet to watch. Bingo, same larger genre of superheroes that cause bloody pain and death, with awareness of WW2. Great genre, and your book is of the genre, not a copy.

As an American though, the thought of any particular gun being hard to get is just odd.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, it does occupy some of the same space as The Boys. I've read the first two volumes of The Boys and admired its gumption, so it's no surprise it resonates.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Stephen Merchant as Dross or we riot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Orthos to be voiced by Chris Pratt Danny DeVito.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Just finished The Raskor Plains, the sequel to Phil Tucker's Bastion. It's more Bastion, so if you didn't like Bastion I don't recommend it. The MC is obviously somewhat less whiny due to the Sudden Character Growth he experienced at the end of the previous book, but all of Tucker's other issues are still very much present. The #1 that I can't get out of my head is the guy just can't remember anything about his own book. I think he gives like 3 different values for the number of times the MC has been reincarnated before now. He seems to have settled on Jova Spike NOT having been an imperator in a previous life (given that the previous book said different things at different times) but who the hell knows. He doesn't even bother to clarify even as the question becomes more relevant to the plot.

This book follows an extremely Count of Monte Christo type storyline but the betrayal takes forever and the revenge is pretty rushed. It's pretty funny that Jova Spike tells the MC that he seems to be taking things too relaxed in the first half of the book. Yeah buddy, tell me about it.

Anyway, I like the world and I'm interested in what happens next, but if you were mixed on Bastion it's hard to recommend. If you wanted more Bastion, you should read it in my opinion.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
How much of the book is spent on leaving? I was really ambivalent on the last book and just kinda waded through it. I started on the audio book but i got about two hours in and realized just leaving was going to be a whole big thing and it kinda drained my enthusiasm for the book.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

imnotinsane posted:

How much of the book is spent on leaving? I was really ambivalent on the last book and just kinda waded through it. I started on the audio book but i got about two hours in and realized just leaving was going to be a whole big thing and it kinda drained my enthusiasm for the book.

I remember it was a lot. The walk to the fiery shoals is also very long although a lot of that time is looking at and talking about cool stuff in the the raskor plains so maybe you'd enjoy it. Then once they get to the fiery shoals there's meetings and they go back to bastion to finish the storyline. I think that's maybe half the book? Honestly the rebellion storyline could probably be its own book but it wouldn't be a great one. I didn't mind everything after that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The first half of the book was boring but then it was very cool, is what I remember.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished Super Powereds finally. Damned long and yet I didn't really get bored. It's nice to read a huge KU thing that's completely finished too

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
why does will wight not simply republish cradle with the word "harder", "better", "faster", "stronger", or simply "two", attached to every noun in and on the books

Silynt posted:

I’m on book 2 of 12 Miles Below and really enjoying it, very unique world building and pretty good writing. Definitely recommend for some unique Science-fantasy goodness.
Big fan of the bit in one of the early books where, after dealing with some raiders, the intricacies of early-2000s Windows restore points become relevant.

edit: sadly this becomes less of a thing later

Bremen posted:

:sickos:

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 4, 2024

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Bremen posted:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The first book in will wights new series is free with audible plus until feb6 so if you heard it was bad and didn't want to pay for it you don't have to if you have audible plus

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I listened to The Captain, by Will Wight since it's free on Audible right now. Overall I don't think I disliked it as much as other people did- a lot of people said that the main character was unlikeable or whatever, and I didn't think that was the case- and I'm happy to listen to the next book, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Overall the book was just a series of events with limited cause and effect connecting them. He beats the bad guy using means collected off-screen. But the bad guy has an rear end-pull! He's back! The good guys pop out of space and instantly vaporize him. But he also has an rear end-pull! He's back! But the main character has another rear end-pull and he's dead again. Very little is planned or thought through by anybody at all. Things just kind of happen and then they keep happening. Fights are never decided by characters using their known powers in surprising or interesting ways, or extending them in a logical but novel manner. Either they use their known powers to instantly dominate/instantly lose to a foe, or they pull out a previously-unknown power out of nowhere to win the day. Or they use a power and it's actually way stronger than you thought so there.

It doesn't help that the main character uses a tiny fraction of his supposed power at all times so you're constantly sitting there going "ok but if things really hit the fan he'll use his full power and then it'll be fine so there's no tension" until the end of the book where he goes, "I'll lose even if I use my full power so there's no point. Actually wait now I have even more powers, never mind I'll just use those." Like what can this guy actually do?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would say the second book is a lot better about setting up stakes and making good use of character abilities established in the first book.

I'm enjoying them for what they are: Star Trek adventures with the guns and magic dials turned up to 12.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

They’re just kinda bad. Advise spending your hours on something else. Hopefully will bounces to the next thing quickly.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

my fellow garbage consumers, im dying for lack of trash. please recommend whatever horrible thing you're enjoying.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The Daily Grind has two books on KU and then a gazillion more on royal road. It's kind of a grind, honestly, but slice of life anarchist utopia building through isekai dungeon exploration pushes a lot of the right buttons for me.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I enjoyed reading Rogue Ascension recently. Just an unabashed power fantasy litRPG, which mostly stands out because the author is clearly a black Floridan nerd and is having fun writing an overpowered alter ego.

12 Miles Below is an actually legitimately pretty good young adult science fantasy with a neat post-post-post apocalypse setting that I'd liken to Neir:Automata. Tense, but not grim.

The Last Life series is a good series about an enjoyably amoral schemer. Has magic, but nothing terribly over the top.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I also liked Rogue Ascension and 12 miles below. I've recently read and enjoyed Book of the Dead and Slumrat rising, both have 1+ KU books and the rest on RR. The first is a fantasy necromancer mostly just trying to survive and the second is a cyberpunk cultivation power fantasy.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Finished Super Powereds finally. Damned long and yet I didn't really get bored. It's nice to read a huge KU thing that's completely finished too

I also just finished and enjoyed it although I felt it kind of lost steam at the end. I really liked Corpies which was the interlude book between Year 3 and 4 and would have liked to see more in the actual hero working world. Still a good series though and will probably look into some of his other series.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

my fellow garbage consumers, im dying for lack of trash. please recommend whatever horrible thing you're enjoying.

One of my current Royalroad reads is someone totally not novelizing their Dwarf Fortress playthroughs:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/76164/the-mine-lord-a-dwarven-survival-base-builder

The author actually has a previous published series on KU that's also about dwarves dwarfing it up and it has good reviews and at least a couple of goons said it was good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BKH355TL

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

tokenbrownguy posted:

I’ve been loving with web serials lately because nothing on KU has looked that good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Megazver posted:

One of my current Royalroad reads is someone totally not novelizing their Dwarf Fortress playthroughs:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/76164/the-mine-lord-a-dwarven-survival-base-builder

This is funny because one of the first things that came to mind with all of the bad AI writing is that sooner or later someone's going to realize the amount of detail that Dwarf Fortress worldgen has, and use it as a basis for books. Which I guess is technically a big step down from the good LPs like Boatmurdered.

tokenbrownguy posted:

The Grand Game:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097ZTNZRW/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is funny because one of the first things that came to mind with all of the bad AI writing is that sooner or later someone's going to realize the amount of detail that Dwarf Fortress worldgen has, and use it as a basis for books. Which I guess is technically a big step down from the good LPs like Boatmurdered.

I was being somewhat facetious with the Dwarf Fortress part. I imagine he's played a lot of it, for sure, but there is a lot of worldbuilding that he's done for it on his own.