Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cheap Shot posted:

I appreciate any kind of comfort honestly. Do you think I’d be better served returning this one and trying to get my hands on a cheaper older tv with less snappy response time? I like the image quality of this one but I’d likely be just as happy with slightly less. I was pretty annoyed by the limited settings and lack of twitch app on roku.

I mean, I appreciate older consoles but buying a TV to maximize Switch image performance in 2023 feels misguided. After all, it already has a built in screen the games were tailor made for. I think I'd just stick with it because the screen isn't messing up it's just giving you a crystal clear look at some low fidelity games.

If I were in your shoes I'd see how some other games look and maybe sleep on it. I get it though. I bought a top of the line TV in 2021 that made my PS5 look amazing but it made my Switch look awful and it took a lot of fiddling to make it look decent.

Edit: As for the lack of a built in apps those are usually bad across the board. Most folks in this thread just get an Apple TV or equivalent to handle that stuff.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Also you're not the only one who noticed this with Animal Crossing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCrossing/comments/g3s1x7/nintendo_please_fix_this_motion_blur_on/

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In our arrogance to get the best pixels, no one stopped to ask, not if we could, but if we should.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

McCracAttack posted:

If I were in your shoes I'd see how some other games look and maybe sleep on it. I get it though. I bought a top of the line TV in 2021 that made my PS5 look amazing but it made my Switch look awful and it took a lot of fiddling to make it look decent.

Thats more or less what I’ve been doing, since this thing is huge and returning it will be a hassle. Giving it a lot of thought. It does just kinda seem wasted on me though, and getting a separate device to attach to it also seems excessive for me.

A friend who looked at the video I recorded said the problem looked like “overshoot ghosting”, and after looking up examples, I maybe agree with them? Not sure. Some people are saying it’s this, others are saying overshoot is a “bright trail”. I wish people were consistent on this stuff. Is overshoot caused by tv going too hard, or refreshing too fast? Everyone I know seems to agree it’s way more noticeable on my tv than any of theirs.

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 6, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

In our arrogance to get the best pixels, no one stopped to ask, not if we could, but if we should.

Retvrn...

Cheap Shot posted:

Giving it a lot of thought. It does just kinda seem wasted on me though, and getting a separate device to attach to it also seems excessive for me.

You're worth it. It's just a matter of whether or not you enjoy it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 6, 2023

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I’ve honestly been considering just looking on Facebook marketplace for crt’s, but I suspect I won’t be able to use them anymore since I got bad hyperacusis a few years ago. Sometimes I gotta unplug wall chargers so I don’t hear them right inside my left ear. Not sure if crt hum/whine will set it off or not.

McCracAttack posted:

You're worth it.

Very sweet of you to lie to me like that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Okay as someone who has 3 CRTs in their house right now let me go ahead and talk you out of that. It's an old person's hobby getting those to play nice with modern video sources.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a 28"?32? Magnavox I meed to unload becauase the coil whine gives me a headache but I cant bring myself to just drop it off at Goodwill

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

I have a 28"?32? Magnavox I meed to unload becauase the coil whine gives me a headache but I cant bring myself to just drop it off at Goodwill

Get some dumbass gamer who wants a CRT to take it off you for free, so you don't have to lift it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Get some dumbass gamer who wants a CRT to take it off you for free, so you don't have to lift it.

You think a gamer who wants a crt is capable of lifting it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MikusR posted:

You think a gamer who wants a crt is capable of lifting it?

Gamers make bad decisions all the time, yes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Gamers make bad decisions all the time, yes.

Just solo hauled a 120lb Wega that has been out in the garage for nearly a decade up a flight of stairs so I could hook my MiSTer FPGA up to it. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Just solo hauled a 120lb Wega that has been out in the garage for nearly a decade up a flight of stairs so I could hook my MiSTer FPGA up to it. I have no idea what you're talking about.

"Do you even lift bro?"

"I'm a retro gamer." :smugbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Helping move a Tempest cabinet into a friend’s place is one of the times I’ve been closest to a debilitating injury.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Don't know if this is a suitable thread for troubleshooting but my LG OLED65B9PUA is broken after about 3.5 years of ownership. I was out of town for the past week and started watching stuff by casting stuff from my laptop to it today after getting back when the TV cut out and seemingly turned off.

At first I thought that it was an issue with Miracasting but got worried when the screen continued to remain black and the standby light remained on after trying to turn it back on with the remote and my Nintendo Switch. I unplugged the TV, held the power button to fully discharge any remaining power, and left it unplugged for several minutes a few times but the problem persists.

I hooked the TV up to something that can measure its power draw. On standby after plugging it in, it draws about 21W. Powering it on, I here a click and the meter reads up to 27W but a few seconds later I hear another click and the meter falls back down to 21W. This was both using the power button on the TV, the remote, and my Switch. It's like it tried to turn on but then turns itself off. The whole time, the red standby light remained on with no blinking and the screen remained black. Curiously when using the Switch, the light on the dock remains on after the TV apparently turns off which probably indicates that the power just cuts out or it shuts off in an unusual manner instead of a shutdown command being sent which should have turn the Switch off.

Some research indicates the power supply board has failed which sounds probable. Should I bother with LG support? There is a service center in that's not horribly out of my way. On the other hand, the power supply board is going for around $60-$80 and the disassembly process doesn't look too horrible so I can easily do this myself with a few extra hands.

I just want confirm here that my suspicions are correct and if there are any other tests I can run to rule out other potential issues such as the other boards. The fact that having it unplugged for several minutes probably rules out software issues.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guess I’ll hold off on a C2 since Switch is most powerful console I have.:v:

I also like using the built in tv os so I don’t need to get another thing taking up an hdmi slot so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 8, 2023

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Just want to double check so I know for sure the name of whatever effect is the one that’s bothering me so much, and don’t waste my effort reading about a different problem. What I’m seeing on my screen is that things in motion split into two, and also give the appearance like flickering back and forth between the two. It almost looks like stuff is vibrating side to side despite moving in one direction.

What is this called? Is it just stutter? Or is it a combination of multiple things like stutter and overshoot? Or does it have anything to do with the backlight PWM which rtings says flickers no matter the tv settings on this model? I read about something called “strobe crosstalk” which can also be responsible for double image but is different than double image from 30fps content at 60fps? :ignorance:

Specifically, it’s not so much the doubling, it’s the visual appearance of things flickering side to side while in motion that is bothering my eyes in particular. I’m wondering what that’s called and if I can get a tv that avoids this or doesn’t have it as bad.

I see this on other displays too, including the switches built in screen, but it seems a lot more aggressive and obvious on this tcl R635. It’s just a bit beyond what I can tell my brain to ignore. I notice it a little bit on 60fps stuff on this tv too.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Guess I’ll hold off on a C2 since Switch is most powerful console I have.:v:

I also like using the built in tv os so I don’t need to get another thing taking up an hdmi slot so maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Ah, a kindred spirit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat. I just bought a used Switch to play Zelda and also for my wife who plays animal crossing, but we haven't even tried it yet. The menus looked OK but I still need to actually buy the Zelda games. Are they really 30fps? God damned nintendo, why cant they loving fail and just be bought and allow their 2 or 3 worthwhile IPs be ported to something that isn't a cracker jack box.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

Are they really 30fps?

Yes, roughly. It can drop in some areas like the korok woods and some other trouble areas.

codo27 posted:

why cant they loving fail and just be bought and allow their 2 or 3 worthwhile IPs be ported to something that isn't a cracker jack box.

Not everyone can be as incompetent as sega and fail as a hardware company despite holding on to two decades worth of IP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

codo27 posted:

God drat. I just bought a used Switch to play Zelda and also for my wife who plays animal crossing, but we haven't even tried it yet. The menus looked OK but I still need to actually buy the Zelda games. Are they really 30fps? God damned nintendo, why cant they loving fail and just be bought and allow their 2 or 3 worthwhile IPs be ported to something that isn't a cracker jack box.

Looks fine to me op.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

codo27 posted:

Nintendo's made money hand-over-fist sell "cracker jack boxes" for years. They decided back in the Wii days they didn't want to get in money fights with Microsoft and Sony over bleeding edge tech. I know that's cold comfort but there is some shrewd business logic behind it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

Looks absolutely fine on my C2.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Cheap Shot posted:

Just want to double check so I know for sure the name of whatever effect is the one that’s bothering me so much, and don’t waste my effort reading about a different problem. What I’m seeing on my screen is that things in motion split into two, and also give the appearance like flickering back and forth between the two. It almost looks like stuff is vibrating side to side despite moving in one direction.

What is this called? Is it just stutter? Or is it a combination of multiple things like stutter and overshoot? Or does it have anything to do with the backlight PWM which rtings says flickers no matter the tv settings on this model? I read about something called “strobe crosstalk” which can also be responsible for double image but is different than double image from 30fps content at 60fps? :ignorance:

Specifically, it’s not so much the doubling, it’s the visual appearance of things flickering side to side while in motion that is bothering my eyes in particular. I’m wondering what that’s called and if I can get a tv that avoids this or doesn’t have it as bad.

I see this on other displays too, including the switches built in screen, but it seems a lot more aggressive and obvious on this tcl R635. It’s just a bit beyond what I can tell my brain to ignore. I notice it a little bit on 60fps stuff on this tv too.

Ah, a kindred spirit.
Does it help if you lower the brightness or sit further away from the display?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Does it help if you lower the brightness or sit further away from the display?

No sadly. I followed some suggestions I found on forums suggesting I try turning the backlight all the way up or down or changing brightness but it didn’t make any difference. Also I was sitting as far back as I could. I ended up returning the tv since it was too much to spend for something I wasn’t happy with.

Trying to figure out what I’m better off getting now. Not sure if I should intentionally try and get an older tv that might have more blur in its motion, or if I should get something that can interpolate 30fps games without much input lag. I can’t imagine that would look good, but maybe less eye strain.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I'm looking for something at least 40 inches, and am in the inches per dollar camp.

If the OP is accurate, would "Hisense 43-Inch Class R6 Series" make sense? It's both cheap and well-reviewed.

dirby fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you're in the States, the sweet spot is the 55" Hisense U8H for $650. Size AND quality.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

No sadly. I followed some suggestions I found on forums suggesting I try turning the backlight all the way up or down or changing brightness but it didn’t make any difference. Also I was sitting as far back as I could. I ended up returning the tv since it was too much to spend for something I wasn’t happy with.

Trying to figure out what I’m better off getting now. Not sure if I should intentionally try and get an older tv that might have more blur in its motion, or if I should get something that can interpolate 30fps games without much input lag. I can’t imagine that would look good, but maybe less eye strain.

I know all of these TVs are different from the one you tried, but I will say that my LG C2, the Hisense H8G it replaced, my parents’ Samsung Frame, the Sony X850F it replaced, and the Samsung 7000-series set they have in their bedroom all don’t seem to have this issue you’re talking about experiencing. You have photographic proof of it happening, and I 100% believe you’re seeing it, but I’m wondering if it might just be that brand’s TV. If you have access at all to another relatively modern (say the last four years) TV, see if they’ll let you hook up your Switch so you can test this out.

After your post about it I’ve been trying to see if I could replicate the issue on any of my consoles on any of the TVs in the house with any game and I’ve either been unable to, or simply have lovely enough eyes that it’s undetectable to me.

Edit: Also how much did you pay for the R635? Bestbuy.ca has that listed for $1200 CAD, and for that kind of money you can get a much better TV anyway.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 13, 2023

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a gaming specific TV thread or is this pretty much the place for it? I have a Samsung 95B and it's been decent so far, but I'm wrestling with the OS (yeah, I guess trying to use it is my first mistake).

Not sure what's going on in the background with this Gaming Hub poo poo, but both my Switch and my Steam Link show up there on the "Game" page, but my XBox shows up on the home screen on the "Media" page with Plex, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Ideally all the gaming consoles would be in the same place. Tutorials I've looked at are next to useless. I've tried removing and then adding the sources to the home screen, they just go back to the Game page.

Any specific tips on the S95B in general would be welcome too. I have followed some guides and have gotten the TV to a relatively decent place, picture-wise. Holy poo poo that gaming mode was way too bright at first though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://apple.news/AdWE4OTEdRZ2K4Pul5aQX5w

quote:

Double-screen ‘free’ TV will show you ads, even when not in use

A ~$500 55" television that's ad subsidized and selling your data to the point of being free; would you say yes to one?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If I was 18 and broke? probably yeah. Otherwise no loving way

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's stopping me from covering the ad screen with a painting or an old shirt or something?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

McCracAttack posted:

What's stopping me from covering the ad screen with a painting or an old shirt or something?

Yeah, or just disconnecting it from the internet? Or maybe they make the TV unusable for any purpose if it's not talking to their servers.

An extra wide TV with ads displayed in a permanent side bar would be harder to cover. But I suppose custom sized panels cost more than whatever cheap thing they're sourcingf for this.

Article posted:

At this point, it's worth noting that Telly has an HD camera, microphone, and motion sensors. Those components' marketed purposes are for features like Zoom video calls, integrated games, and fitness tracking. But Telly hasn't detailed those use cases much. Meanwhile, a camera, microphone, and motion sensors sure do sound like excellent ways to track people.

Fun.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Mister Facetious posted:

A ~$500 55" television that's ad subsidized and selling your data to the point of being free; would you say yes to one?

I signed up, I'll stick it in my office or something. I put the odds that Telly goes belly up around 100% and given the volume of these TVs that are going to be produced, I put the odds that they are hacked for some fun stuff very quickly at almost certain, worst case you sent it back or have a fun hacked toy for $500.

I will also add, depending on how well they implement it, the second screen could be a great feature. I know I get made fun of here a lot of my screens, but my husband who is very much not into technology and was very skeptical of the Dakboards at first loves the ambient information displays and uses them constantly.

I would go as far to say, if Telly survives, it's a subscription model where they allow you to pay to disable the ads and offer you a ton of customization of the second display.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 16, 2023

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i wanna get one of those but then just saw off the ad screen

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Where is the signup page? I want to get one just to leave it in the box to discourage this type of behavior from corporations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
yeah same actually sign me up for 10000 of them

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Three Olives posted:

I signed up, I'll stick it in my office or something. I put the odds that Telly goes belly up around 100% and given the volume of these TVs that are going to be produced, I put the odds that they are hacked for some fun stuff very quickly at almost certain, worst case you sent it back or have a fun hacked toy for $500.

I will also add, depending on how well they implement it, the second screen could be a great feature. I know I get made fun of here a lot of my screens, but my husband who is very much not into technology and was very skeptical of the Dakboards at first loves the ambient information displays and uses them constantly.
Exactly my thought as well, It seems like it could be a great toy if "jailbroken". I've been eyeing new TVs for my bar area and one with a second display that could show sports scores/stats/etc would be neat as poo poo. Worst case I stab the microphones with a screwdriver, tape over the camera, and ignore the ads until they go out of business.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

wolrah posted:

Exactly my thought as well, It seems like it could be a great toy if "jailbroken". I've been eyeing new TVs for my bar area and one with a second display that could show sports scores/stats/etc would be neat as poo poo. Worst case I stab the microphones with a screwdriver, tape over the camera, and ignore the ads until they go out of business.

This thing totally reminds me of the whole Chrysis thing, where they made a product for jacked up PCs and then were sad that their target customers were the people most likely to pirate video games.

Anyway it just seems like jailbreaking the things will be super common. Has anyone done the questionnaire yet I want to know how intrusive it is.

I might be down to get one and just let it sit in box until the jalbreaking instructions come out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mister Facetious posted:

on the one hand this sucks on the other hand one of my favorite things is when devices have ancillary secondary screens so i am mixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

on the one hand this sucks on the other hand one of my favorite things is when devices have ancillary secondary screens so i am mixed
I love those things too, at least in concept. Are you using aa small extra screen on your PC and would you recommend it? I always really wanted one, but never got one because it seemed like probably a waste of money.