Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Residency Evil posted:

Currently in Copenhagen and just lolol. We are so loving useless in America at anything bike related in comparison.

i want to go but i am also afraid it will make me mad forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spf3million posted:

I bought a romin evo mirror and really want to love it but it's honestly not noticeably different for me.

The original Romin is still my default preferred saddle shape, with the Romin Evo not fitting me as well.
I like the Romin Evo Mirror more than other Romin Evos. The differential in pad stiffness is noticeable and is more gradual than in a normal saddle with a single foam/gel.
It's not worth the extra cost but it is a small step up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Have a 3.2. It’s a tank. What do you want to know?

stuff like build quality/durability and also how their numbering systems makes sense?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I’m looking at getting into recreational cycling and shopping around for bikes. REI is the closest thing I have to a local bike shop.

I have not been on a bicycle in any capacity in probably 20 years, and I don’t have a clue what I should be looking at.

Based on thread description and other places I’m reading it seems like “Gravel” bikes are the best bet for my use-case which involves no Lycra or super long-distance, but could involve graveled trails.

Is there any problem with the Salsa brand bikes that REI sells? Or their Co-op brand?

If I’m going to commit a few hundred dollars to this, I don’t want to buy a trumped up huffy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Salsa is a very good, very respected brand

REI house brand bikes are also decent

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

krispykremessuck posted:

Based on thread description and other places I’m reading it seems like “Gravel” bikes are the best bet for my use-case which involves no Lycra or super long-distance, but could involve graveled trails.

If I’m going to commit a few hundred dollars to this, I don’t want to buy a trumped up huffy.

I generally interpret gravel bikes to be those that use drop bars and have wide tire clearance (say, at least 40mm).
Riding on drops is great, but there's also no problem going with a bike with flat bars for your first bike in 20 years.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

stuff like build quality/durability and also how their numbering systems makes sense?

This gets asked a lot and I wonder if we should put something up front in the thread that as long as you're not buying from WalMart all bikes basically come from the same factories and things like "quality/durability" shouldn't be a major concern. It's really (IMO) more about the "value for money" proposition (with the associated nuance between direct-to-consumer w more value vs bike shop sales w more service/support).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

amenenema posted:

This gets asked a lot and I wonder if we should put something up front in the thread that as long as you're not buying from WalMart all bikes basically come from the same factories and things like "quality/durability" shouldn't be a major concern. It's really (IMO) more about the "value for money" proposition (with the associated nuance between direct-to-consumer w more value vs bike shop sales w more service/support).

Hey now, that Walmart gravel bike upthread is getting a lot of play on Youtube.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcJEWTlQ95Q

(Apparently it's 34 lbs)

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Lol yeah but still a niche recommendation IMO

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

also how their numbering systems makes sense?

I think in most brands, a number is used to indicate the tier level within a model lineup.
With 1 being the worst or best trim.

With REI, that major number is the model type.
So ADV 1 is different to ADV 2, different to ADV 3.

The 2.1 and 2.3 do differ by trim, and the higher decimal value is the higher trim.

The other models (1 and 3) don't currently seem to have different trims.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

co-op bikes are a good value, though I think the hardtail/hybrid with the curved top tube is pretty ugly in person :can:

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
https://strava.app.link/DvKEN7x5FJb
I just finished a 86mile ride with David it's to mark his 86th birthday. Please send him Kudos!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Clark Nova posted:

co-op bikes are a good value, though I think the hardtail/hybrid with the curved top tube is pretty ugly in person :can:

Yeah I bought a CTY 1.1 at the beginning of 2020 and it did alright by me. It’s been relegated to my trainer these days but it was a pleasant reentry into bikes as an adult.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mikemelbrooks posted:

https://strava.app.link/DvKEN7x5FJb
I just finished a 86mile ride with David it's to mark his 86th birthday. Please send him Kudos!

drat that's badass. I want to be like this when I'm 80.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Cactus Ghost posted:

It absolutely will, it’s just infuriating comparing that to the half-assed attempts at bike infrastructure in what’s ostensibly the second best large city in the US for biking. It was honestly great though to see an example of how it can be done well, and touring around Denmark on the bike routes cross-crossing the country is wonderful.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cactus Ghost posted:

To be honest, it might as well be on a different planet. We stayed primarily in the Copenhagen area/suburbs, so maybe things are different in other parts of the country, but nothing comes close even in most other European cities I've been to. Pretty much every street has a separate bike lane that's either completely separated from the cars or slightly raised on the shoulder. During rush hour you have tens of thousands of people riding their bikes to work. You see dads/moms taking their kids to daycare with special bikes that have the kids out front. You see workers transporting supplies to work sites with cargo bikes. Bikes end up visible/locked up pretty much all over the city. Bikes just seem to be incredibly integrated in to the average person's life in a way that I don't think is possible for the populace in the United States.

It has an obvious and visible effect on the health of the people. The population seems to outwardly be the healthiest on average I've ever seen.

Also lots of dudes in PNS kit. Just another world, although I've still never been to Amsterdam.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 17, 2024

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Residency Evil posted:

Currently in Copenhagen and just lolol. We are so loving useless in America at anything bike related in comparison.

Cactus Ghost posted:

It will make even the best US bike infrastructure seen second rate. But it’s also something I would super recommend just so you can dream. It’s like visiting a sci fi utopia. Even if it makes regular life seem a little duller, at least you know it exists somewhere.

Also if you’re in Copenhagen rn, try the bike paths heading out of the city. They have a network of paths all around the island and it’s super easy to bike to cute Danish seaside towns nearby.

The one thing Amsterdam/Copenhagen did make me appreciate is that our bike infrastructure might be really bad in comparison, but otoh it’s much less crowded (…because it’s worse, but hey). Right now I usually am with ~3 other bikes max on my commute at home, while in Copenhagen it was packed. I would absolutely take the trade of having incredible bike paths everywhere in exchange for being in a giant pack of bikes much of the time I’m commuting, but it did highlight one tiny silver lining of the cloud of our car centric world.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Anyone here have the Edge 540, are you happy with it? With time using it do you wish for a touch screen like the 1040?

I’m upgrading from an old 520 primarily for battery life as I’m aiming to do ultra distances again. I’m also debating moving to Wahoo as they are simpler and cheaper but then by leaving the Garmin ecosystem I’ll miss out flexing my vo2 max gauge on my friends…

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Pocket posted:

Anyone here have the Edge 540, are you happy with it? With time using it do you wish for a touch screen like the 1040?

I’m upgrading from an old 520 primarily for battery life as I’m aiming to do ultra distances again. I’m also debating moving to Wahoo as they are simpler and cheaper but then by leaving the Garmin ecosystem I’ll miss out flexing my vo2 max gauge on my friends…

I have an 8xx- I like having a touch screen, and wish I had gone for the even bigger touch screen of the 1040 in retrospect, though I realize it doesn’t really matter.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got a 540 and have no complaints. Before when I was using Strava on my phone if I dripped any sweat on it the screen became unusable. It made me go for physical buttons on purpose.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I dont use the touchscreen on my karoo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can you run the 540 in B&W mode so it looks like the 130 or is the color screen somewhat daylight visible

Or maybe I'll just buy a NOS 500 and a replacement battery. That seemed like the perfect device

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Hadlock posted:

Can you run the 540 in B&W mode so it looks like the 130 or is the color screen somewhat daylight visible

Or maybe I'll just buy a NOS 500 and a replacement battery. That seemed like the perfect device

530/830/1030+ and 540/840/1040 displays are quite easy to view in sunlight. The solar charging variants are slightly dimmer.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Pocket posted:

Yeah I have the 840 like tildes and like having the touchscreen, although it has meant I've never properly learnt the button only controls (which would be better to use when actually cycling).

I haven't felt like I'd need a bigger screen since I got the mapdashboard connectiq addon, which just increases the density of information at the bottom of the map.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

and copenhagen isn’t even the best of the bunch. dutch cities are way further along the journey (bike in utrecht and you’ll loving hate everyone involved with urban planning everywhere else)

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m still leaning to the 540. I think I’d make good use of browsing the maps from a touch screen so need to consider the 840 or Element V2. Going to see if I can borrow one from someone.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
There's not much difference between the 840 and 830. I managed to snag one for 60% off after the 40s all launched. You still might be able to find them at local retailers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m still leaning to the 540. I think I’d make good use of browsing the maps from a touch screen so need to consider the 840 or Element V2. Going to see if I can borrow one from someone.

I went from an 810 to a 530 and the only thing I miss the touchscreen for is when i'm on the map screen. Browsing the map is a bit clunky with the buttons.

The rest of it I prefer the buttons, no accidental presses trying to wipe water/mud off the screen.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not bad for 400 bucks

Also, I took the wheel off to fit it in my car, and when I put it back on, it sounds like a section of the disc is scraping the caliper. Is it just a matter of realigning until it stops scraping?

can I edit an attachment image to make it less big

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The ui on the *40 computers is touch-focused, so while you can do everything with just the buttons it's definitely more awkward.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've never been much of a century guy, but my riding has been stretching out into some serious miles this spring. I did a 50 mile, 35 mile (on the minivelo) and then 60 mile ride this week. Compare that to my record all time miles which is 98 miles. (I got lost on a 70 mile ride before cellphones).

I get pretty in the tank by about mile 45 where I start getting weird thought patterns and music starts looping in my head. The stiffness and discomfort are definitely a factor starting around mile 40, but I noticed that as I do this more and more I am 100% comfortable for easily 35 miles. No detectable issues, just having fun and cruising around. At mile 60 it was really just discomfort from exhaustion (compared to ergonomic issues) where I even opted to take a longer route to avoid having to pass people on a MUP which was draining all my energy.

So that brings me to my question; how trainable is total comfort? Can you in theory do a century with no discomfort, or is pushing through the weird mental and physical side effects just a necessary part of marathon riding?

I used to ride with these dudes who were 50-65 age range and they would do a century every sunday. I really wonder if they had like evolved past some threshold that made that seem like a normal ride.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Salt Fish posted:

I start getting weird thought patterns and music starts looping in my head.
This sounds totally normal to me. One of my "favorite" long ride activities is to loop 5 seconds of a song I hate in my head for three hours straight.

Bikes ultimately should be comfortable though. If you're not a newbie, and you certainly aren't, then physical discomforts are solvable problems. Not always easy, but doable.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I've never been much of a century guy, but my riding has been stretching out into some serious miles this spring. I did a 50 mile, 35 mile (on the minivelo) and then 60 mile ride this week. Compare that to my record all time miles which is 98 miles. (I got lost on a 70 mile ride before cellphones).

I get pretty in the tank by about mile 45 where I start getting weird thought patterns and music starts looping in my head. The stiffness and discomfort are definitely a factor starting around mile 40, but I noticed that as I do this more and more I am 100% comfortable for easily 35 miles. No detectable issues, just having fun and cruising around. At mile 60 it was really just discomfort from exhaustion (compared to ergonomic issues) where I even opted to take a longer route to avoid having to pass people on a MUP which was draining all my energy.

So that brings me to my question; how trainable is total comfort? Can you in theory do a century with no discomfort, or is pushing through the weird mental and physical side effects just a necessary part of marathon riding?

I used to ride with these dudes who were 50-65 age range and they would do a century every sunday. I really wonder if they had like evolved past some threshold that made that seem like a normal ride.

It gets easier and your body adapts.

Your mental games for lack of a better term sounds like you are under-feeding or hydrating maybe even lacking salt if you are salty sweater.

I know I’m starting to get cooked when I catch myself doing mental arithmetic. “How far am I from X, I’m doing Y speed, it’ll take Z time, what if I go a bit faster/slower…” depending the severity the errors accumulate.

Alongside nutrition energy management is key to going longer. You only have so many matches and every time you jump out the saddle to stomp back up to speed after a red light or corner you lose one. Small things like consciously dropping down your gears to maintain your effort level when the road rises rather than increasing power and your heart rate will help.

You’ll be slower to begin with but once you have the 100miles in the bag your avg speed will just increase as you get fitter.

I don’t feel 100 miles group ride is that far for trained amateur cyclists, endurance improves with age and those guys will have been doing them for 30-40 years by then.

Pocket fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 18, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

brand engager posted:

The ui on the *40 computers is touch-focused, so while you can do everything with just the buttons it's definitely more awkward.

Yeah this is what the dcrainmaker review pointed out a bunch. Basically it seems like garmin focused on making a good touch ui and ignored making it worth well with buttons. I’ve been pretty happy with my 840 fwiw.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Thought about riding my bike today but it was too cloudy so I bled my brakes and drank instead :cheers:

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah, this is really normal to me. I find the ear worm will be something that is in sync with my breathing or my cadence. You could bring music to break the ear worm when it comes along.

Also for a great reference to having a song stuck in your head, check out the book/movie 'Touching the Void' where a mountain climber gets so dehydrated he battles with hallucinations and a singular ear worm (among much more pressing survival issues).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Anyone remember when I sold my Giant Cypress to my friend, who was the guitarist in my band and my best friend since first grade, because he lost is ability to drive thanks to a seizure while driving that could've killed him?

Well, he's driving again. It's been six months, and he's had no more seizures. His new neurologist and that doctor's new drug regimen has him stabilized. He bought an electrical car, but he still occasionally rides that bike. He made fun of me when he found out I'd gone full MAMIL, so I get why he's shy about actually enjoying riding his bike when he could easily drive.

Anyway. Today, I had three big things to do. First was the Bridge Birthday Bash, a Trailnet ride celebrating the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. That had a rolling start from 7:30 to 9:00 AM. At 1 PM, I had a gig with my band in St. Charles, MO. After that, my family was heading out to dinner at Urban Chestnut Brewing Company in the STL. During the gig, my friend, who is a runner and thus hates cyclists, told me a story. "I'm not a bike rider like you," it began, and the tea eldie are is that he was riding to his hair stylist, and a car got behind him and wouldn't pass him even though they had a couple of lanes available to do it (it's not a busy road). Eventually, they passed him, but with the windows down so they could yell, "GET OFF THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!1"

So, he told me that he suddenly gets it, at least more than he did. He runs a lot in those areas, and he sticks to the sidewalks, so he hasn't had to deal with motorists being assholes to him.

He gets it now. At least, a little bit more.

I'm just happy that he's still riding that bike. He even said he wants to just go somewhere to ride where motorists won't act like that. So, I think I hooked a runner. I'm taking that as a win.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the pros closet is offering 20% off frames this weekend and oh boy enve frames (and components) are included

:doit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

the pros closet is offering 20% off frames this weekend and oh boy enve frames (and components) are included

:doit:

Enve frames are meh endurance frames for $$$$.