Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

it cannot be overstated the degree to which the officer corps of the usaf is kirkland brand templars. half the officers i talked to during my stint were died in the wool, the other half were probably just hiding their power levels. look at the loving chapel at the academy in colorado springs it's loving 40k poo poo.

i once spent the better part of the afternoon using visual aids and poo poo in a vain effort to deprogram a first lieutenant who bought hook line and sinker into a fox "documentary" that told him moon landing was a hoax. on general principle i thought that might be a bad thing for an air force officer to believe.

dr. strangelove was a documentary; these fuckers are out to lunch
A 40k church is just Notre Dame with (a lot) more skulls,
That's more Star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

smug jeebus posted:

A 40k church is just Notre Dame with (a lot) more skulls, attached to the star destroyer from Star wars

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

smug jeebus posted:

A 40k church is just Notre Dame with (a lot) more skulls,
That's more Star wars

Notre Dame isn't half gothic enough. Those pointed arches, heck the whole thing, could be MUCH pointier. I'm partial to Cologne's cathedral myself.

nomad2020 posted:

Remember when Glenn Beck accused SA of being a CIA front? That would legitimately be a better option.

Specifically Goonswarm and he may have been right

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

This is what happens without Anglicans

Wow

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Weka posted:

Specifically Goonswarm and he may have been right

I would like to know more please

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

D-Pad posted:

I would like to know more please

the two people most in charge of goonswarm were a d&d mod computer toucher who 'worked for the state department' and a sex pest lawyer with media connections

afaik there are no smoking guns but it's really not any kind of stretch to assume

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Probably was completely coincidental that Goonswarm took their security more seriously than most companies I've been involved with, also the other team was Russian. Maybe more frenemies than enemies.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there also the one where the CIA agents were meeting at a Beirut Pizza Hut and their password was pizzahut or something

I'm at the spy dead drop
I'm at the Pizza Hut
I'm at the combination spy dead drop and Pizza Hut

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

when are we getting the matt damon / brad pitt / robert redford Beirut Pizza thriller

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
there was so much moolah getting laundered through icelands banking system lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
broke: iran-contra

woke: libya-syria

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EF3p96cCNo

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

the two people most in charge of goonswarm were a d&d mod computer toucher who 'worked for the state department' and a sex pest lawyer with media connections

afaik there are no smoking guns but it's really not any kind of stretch to assume

the only thing smoking was vilerat's lungs

TargetShoplifter
May 13, 2024
I had never really considered this before but yeah of course the CIA is just as incompetent and full of grifters as the military. We just don't hear about their failures often.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

yellowcar posted:

the only thing smoking was vilerat's lungs

the tattoo was pretty smokin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The CIA isn't good or even competent, it just has infinite money to keep trying with.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

The CIA isn't good or even competent, it just has infinite money to keep trying with.

they need infinite money to defend against cuban mind flayers

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Justin Tyme posted:

govfaqs spinoff cialinks FBI

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/dstlmod/status/1791027270439645679

britain spending billions of pounds for something that can be accomplished by existing autocannons lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

10p's nuts

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

britain spending billions of pounds for something that can be accomplished by existing autocannons lol

when is it going to ukraine, where the ukrainians will declare it useless like the gps guided shells

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Danann posted:

but only ten pence a shot (plus billions per unit and billions more in maintenance contracts)!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Danann posted:

Those are 100% going to be used on UK civilians before they're used on anyone else.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

So that thing is going to attract every anti-radiation missile in the theater and get destroyed basically instantly against anyone with an industrial base

Its only use case is going to be bullying insurgents who use drones, which tracks for the latest fruits of British innovation

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
you know they're lying because they wouldn't actually design it to only be 10p a shot. Cost efficiency isn't in anyones interest. Hasn't been for decades. This thing will have been made to be as expensive to run as possible so everyone can keep getting paid.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

you know they're lying because they wouldn't actually design it to only be 10p a shot. Cost efficiency isn't in anyones interest. Hasn't been for decades. This thing will have been made to be as expensive to run as possible so everyone can keep getting paid.

I'd expect that the cost per shot is actually measuring the theoretical cost of the electricity used via conversion of the amount of gas their preferred generator type would use to create that power. Or possibly the charge from the electric company if plugged into city mains. No guarantees of compatibility with other generator types or anything other than their proprietary power conversion plug, no comment on the spare parts per shot, reliability or refire rate requiring more units, etc. etc.

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
This was exactly how the US Navy tried to pitch that railgun thing 20-30 years ago and it ended up being hilariously expensive compared to chemical propellant munitions, when push came to shove.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but the projectile does go really fast at least in the case of the railgun

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

This was exactly how the US Navy tried to pitch that railgun thing 20-30 years ago and it ended up being hilariously expensive compared to chemical propellant munitions, when push came to shove.

The rail gun idea was so pants on head stupid. You'd have to basically build the entire ship around it in order to hook in the power plants directly and account for the recoil, leaving a ship that sucked at anything that wasnt shooting the loving rail gun. Not that it mattered though because the rail gun itself was an idiot's fantasy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was a period in US culture where railguns kept coming up as a thing. Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger was in 1996, and Quake 2 was in 1997. Tiberian Sun was in 1999. Babylon 5 was 1994 to 1998

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a period in US culture where railguns kept coming up as a thing. Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger was in 1996, and Quake 2 was in 1997. Tiberian Sun was in 1999. Babylon 5 was 1994 to 1998

quake 2 railgun is still one of the pinnacle fps weapons in terms of design

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gauss cannon in mech warrior and robotech

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cagliostr0 posted:

Gauss cannon in mech warrior and robotech

Gauss was also in Xcom Terror from the Deep, 1995

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's because railguns are a really cool concept

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gauss was also in Xcom Terror from the Deep, 1995

I just want to say as an engineer gauss can go get hosed. What a jerk.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's because railguns are a really cool concept

yup

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Nix Panicus posted:

The rail gun idea was so pants on head stupid. You'd have to basically build the entire ship around it in order to hook in the power plants directly and account for the recoil, leaving a ship that sucked at anything that wasnt shooting the loving rail gun. Not that it mattered though because the rail gun itself was an idiot's fantasy

Remember when they said the Zumwalt is designed for lasers, but will use a railgun until they are ready, and will use the extended range conventional gun until the railgun is ready, oops that costs $1 million per round so we won't buy any rounds

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kitfox88 posted:

The sound design was so goddamn satisfying.

Gimme that background hum all day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
q3 removed the corkscrew effect, but they added an option to enable it in one of the patches soon after launch because people revolted lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

can't forget stargate