Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Today electromagnetic propulsion has found it's true meaning in launching roller coasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

Today electromagnetic propulsion has found it's true meaning in launching roller coasters

I think China are going to try and use them to lob stuff into space - which is cool.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

fatelvis posted:

I think China are going to try and use them to lob stuff into space - which is cool.

charging up a spirit bomb of garbage and launching it at the sun

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a period in US culture where railguns kept coming up as a thing. Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger was in 1996, and Quake 2 was in 1997. Tiberian Sun was in 1999. Babylon 5 was 1994 to 1998

The Expanse ran 2015-2022

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

CCP's central committee and planning are estimating to achieve fusion power for the centenary of the People's Republic; a railgun can be something viable then, no?

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

dead gay comedy forums posted:

CCP's central committee and planning are estimating to achieve fusion power for the centenary of the People's Republic; a railgun can be something viable then, no?

You still need to get that power into the railgun, quickly, on a platform that is actually useful for something.

Conceptually railguns and coilguns are not hard to make. High schoolers do it. It's making it actually useful that is the problem.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

dead gay comedy forums posted:

No, there are way more problems involved including the enormity of the capacitor banks and the rails getting eaten away after like 10 shots.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Thanks for helping me learn something today :buddy:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My first job out of college was at this little mom and pop xray machine and supply business. The owner was an older boomer that was an absolute dumbfuck who brought me on to handle sales because he wanted to semi-retire. When we first were going over the customer list there was one customer he said " was a ballistics testing company that used special high speed x-ray film for their testing" and basically described it as like they were just shooting normal guns and taking high speed x-rays in flight which sounded cool but wasn't that neat. Months later I was actually out there for the first time in this nondescript building and I asked the guy what exactly they did and he was like "we're doing railgun research for the Navy and Army" and he saw my eyes light up and asked me if I wanted to see it. I of course enthusiastically said yes and the owner was with me and really couldn't understand what the big deal was.

It was huge and the power requirements were ridiculous. There were these giant two story capacitors in banks going almost the length of a football field. The gun was really cool and he showed me all these different types of armor with giant holes in them. They were different type of ship and tank armor and a few of them he couldn't tell me what they were because they were classified. It's crazy to see super thick slabs of armor with giant gently caress off holes in them. They were getting ready to shoot it but wouldn't let us stay for that so we went and had lunch down the street and you could feel the thump when they fired it.

It's too bad the Navy couldn't really make it work because that thing was loving rad as hell and would gently caress things up from way over the horizon before they even knew it had been fired.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what about mass drivers

can china make a mass driver

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

what about mass drivers

can china make a mass driver

that's a cannon

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

double nine posted:

The Expanse ran 2015-2022

They don't get a railgun until season 4.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Remember when they said the Zumwalt is designed for lasers, but will use a railgun until they are ready, and will use the extended range conventional gun until the railgun is ready, oops that costs $1 million per round so we won't buy any rounds

ansar allah is about to find out why american's don't have health care have a shore bombardment vessel without a cannon

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
The Chinese already built a rail gun and put it on a test ship. Their project is still ongoing which is not the case for the US rail gun.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

how about a coil gun with the projectiles being cylindrical bullet-type things? grease up the tube real good and you at least have deal with the wear issue a bit. they could have deployable fins and rockets too, why not
as far as capacitors i guess you just need a fuckton of tantalum?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was a period in US culture where railguns kept coming up as a thing. Eraser with Arnold Schwarzenegger was in 1996, and Quake 2 was in 1997. Tiberian Sun was in 1999. Babylon 5 was 1994 to 1998

not american, but metal gear solid in 1998

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hatebag posted:

how about a coil gun with the projectiles being cylindrical bullet-type things? grease up the tube real good and you at least have deal with the wear issue a bit. they could have deployable fins and rockets too, why not

sounds like every manager ive had when ive tried to explain the difference between 'literally impossible' and 'practically impossible'

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

sounds like every manager ive had when ive tried to explain the difference between 'literally impossible' and 'practically impossible'

look, I'm just trying to figure out how i can climb into a gun and get shot into the moon. i don't need the attitude

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hatebag posted:

Iirc coilguns rapidly approach diminishing returns with respect to their power requirement to velocity relationship

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The main thing is that it turns out chemical storage of energy is actually really efficient per unit of volume and weight.

That said I always thought it was kind of interesting how nearly every depiction of a railgun assumes the projectile would be an inert piece of metal. There's surely not much reason not to put a warhead on it. Depending on the length of the railgun you might even be able to accelerate the projectile more smoothly and gently than with an explosion.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The thing is the hypothetical railgun's main advantage is the absurd acceleration - meaning anything it tries to launch must also be able to withstand that acceleration.

You could if course make it slower but at that point why use a rail gun in the first place

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Conceptually railguns and coilguns are not hard to make. High schoolers do it. It's making it actually useful that is the problem.

The same is true for fusion reactors. University students can build a fusion reactor but making a useful one is beyond our current abilities.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

You still need to get that power into the railgun, quickly, on a platform that is actually useful for something.

it's a shame scientists and engineers got really lame along with everything else

imagine living in the 5 decades where the most amazing thing you've seen is a steam engine, then someone invents the car, then planes, just before you die there's this cool magic box that cooks food and this other magic box that shows moving images in your home. What we got now? Millionaire zoomers reinventing the toaster.

*continues to shout at clouds for 5 more hours*

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Supposedly the air force had a research concentric rail gun that fired plasma that had some absurd capabilities but it was the size of a warehouse and nobody knows if the research ever continued

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

Supposedly the air force had a research concentric rail gun that fired plasma that had some absurd capabilities but it was the size of a warehouse and nobody knows if the research ever continued

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER

I wonder what happens if I fire a glob of electrically charged plasma out the end of a rail gun at a small fraction of the speed of light into a surface atmosphere

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

I wonder what happens if I fire a glob of electrically charged plasma out the end of a rail gun at a small fraction of the speed of light into a surface atmosphere

:weed:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

Look, at the end of the day we are all apes who want to hoot and hollar at fire and lightning, we just have really novel ways of doing it now lol

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's a shame scientists and engineers got really lame along with everything else

imagine living in the 5 decades where the most amazing thing you've seen is a steam engine, then someone invents the car, then planes, just before you die there's this cool magic box that cooks food and this other magic box that shows moving images in your home. What we got now? Millionaire zoomers reinventing the toaster.

*continues to shout at clouds for 5 more hours*

just in the last 3-5 years our captains of industry have overseen the development and rollout of vast machines that have consumed the entirety of all human text and in doing so can generate plausible-sounding lies about anything you might ever wish to ask of it

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008

Foxrunsecurity posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/cia-spies-caught-fear-execution-middle-east/story?id=14994428

quote:

In Beirut, two Hezbollah double agents pretended to go to work for the CIA. Hezbollah then learned of the restaurant where multiple CIA officers were meeting with several agents, according to the four current and former officials briefed on the case. The CIA used the codeword "PIZZA" when discussing where to meet with the agents, according to U.S. officials. Two former officials describe the location as a Beirut Pizza Hut. A current US official denied that CIA officers met their agents at Pizza Hut.

lmao amazing

They're just minmaxing with 1 int builds. Genius really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJKuWH-L7jU&t=68s

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

D-Pad posted:

It's too bad the Navy couldn't really make it work because that thing was loving rad as hell and would gently caress things up from way over the horizon before they even knew it had been fired.

it would only get used to blast woman and children in the Middle East so I’m glad the navy can’t do it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's long been rumoured that many of the "UFOs" over area 51 were actually a device that produced plasma in the atmosphere for either a weapon or to gently caress with enemy radars etc.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

D-Pad posted:

It's long been rumoured that many of the "UFOs" over area 51 were actually a device that produced plasma in the atmosphere for either a weapon or to gently caress with enemy radars etc.

Plasma absorbs radio waves. The concept of plasma stealth has been around for a while. It hasn't ever been publicly demonstrated to work. Wouldn't be surprised if there have been experimental aircraft that have tried it.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

my fav gauss gun is the necron one from 40k that has zero resemblance to what a gauss gun is and was clearly named by some 80s writer who thought gauss guns were just a fictional sci-fi term and not a real thing

I think they later retconned it to being named after a guy named gauss that discovered them in universe

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dads friend steve posted:

just in the last 3-5 years our captains of industry have overseen the development and rollout of vast machines that have consumed the entirety of all human text and in doing so can generate plausible-sounding lies about anything you might ever wish to ask of it

"upper management forced me to be a dipshit" becomes "machine voice forced me to be a dipshit"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Palladium posted:

"upper management forced me to be a dipshit" becomes "machine voice forced me to be a dipshit"

evil perfidious seeseepee ai on the tiktoks: pay people on time and remember the labor theory of value

good honorable chatgpt abomination: whip your people harder you're not whipping them hard enough

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gauss was one of those guys that's so smart reading his biography makes him seem like an alien or a time traveler or something. like newton, maybe einstein. so it's funny the thing he's most associated with is videogame guns when he's central to astronomy, physics, mathematics, magnetism... and more!

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

FrancisFukyomama posted:

my fav gauss gun is the necron one from 40k that has zero resemblance to what a gauss gun is and was clearly named by some 80s writer who thought gauss guns were just a fictional sci-fi term and not a real thing

I think they later retconned it to being named after a guy named gauss that discovered them in universe

Sort of like how Bolters are better than conventional autoguns and stubbers because someone didn't understand why the Gyrojet failed?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Everything in 40K is named after some guy.

It's very British.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Junkozeyne posted:

The thing is the hypothetical railgun's main advantage is the absurd acceleration - meaning anything it tries to launch must also be able to withstand that acceleration.

You could if course make it slower but at that point why use a rail gun in the first place

also you are running a fuckton of current through that projectile, so it has to withstand that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The real magic of the bolter is that they never have to reload and its a Good job because the mags look like they hold 3 rounds