Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

deathbot posted:

I'm awful at this sportsball business and I keep getting dunked on. Can I get no-spoiler gameplay tips on how to beat Jodi's solo trial?

I'm stuck on Ti'zo's. Those bastards are really good at punishing you for Implode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Yea *ae really is the best all-rounder. Bertrude is better but only because they didn't even try to balance the classes so they just gave Bog Witches the best everything.
No wonder the Withdrawn are constantly so obnoxious. I was pretty sure their stupid fan-shaped blast was ridiculous on its own, good to know they didn't even try.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

strangemusic posted:

I'm stuck on Ti'zo's. Those bastards are really good at punishing you for Implode.

That trial took me a dozen tries. The reward was worth it though! You need to punish them for bunching up and get all of them with a single implosion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't use Ti'zo's Implode at all during his Trial. I just waited for an opening and got in there.

Finished it last night, probably gonna immediately start a second play:

Liberations: Jodariel, Gillam, Ti'zo, Bae, Rukey, Hedwyn, then in the last one I let Oralech have his freedom, dude deserved it. How/when can you get Oralech as a party member though?

I was somewhat surprised that the game didn't make it more clear that the Nightwings are literally the reincarnations of the Scribes.

Seems like I got a pretty darn happy ending - if you send Bae and Tizo, they become friends, and if you send Oralech, Tizo moves in with him :3:

The Plan succeeded (obviously).

On my second play I'm not going to go to the next difficulty level yet, instead I'm going to use ALL APPLICABLE TITAN STARS EVERY TIME and see how that goes!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Lore q I must've missed some pages because all I've unlocked about Khaylmer Rope-Caller leaves his fate super vague. What I can piece together is that he somehow ended up in Downside, escaped to the would-be Isle of Khaylmer and the Scribes just kinda ignored him. I also don't quite get why the savages would be associated with him, unless it's just implying Khaylmer wasn't neurotypical himself

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nina posted:

Lore q I must've missed some pages because all I've unlocked about Khaylmer Rope-Caller leaves his fate super vague. What I can piece together is that he somehow ended up in Downside, escaped to the would-be Isle of Khaylmer and the Scribes just kinda ignored him. I also don't quite get why the savages would be associated with him, unless it's just implying Khaylmer wasn't neurotypical himself

IIRC there's a Page of Lore that explains how he redeemed himself in the Downside.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Dang must've missed that one specifically.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Confirming that the Beyonder Crystal trials trigger when the character reaches rank 3.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Wow. The first fight with Oralech is a mess - super huge framerate problems. That guy is a dink.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Emily Reese's Level podcast has a (non-spoilery) interview up with Darren Korb about Pyre's music.

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-jeene-6e2309

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

strangemusic posted:

Wow. The first fight with Oralech is a mess - super huge framerate problems. That guy is a dink.

might be the arena- I didn't have issues on that fight, but there's one spot that I can't think of the name where I had big frame rate issues every time I went there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the PS4 version, there are two fights with massive framerate problems. The only one I got was the final fight though and it was REALLY bad.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Final fight was fine for me. If anyone cares, my order was Rukey, let Tamitha go free, Hedwyn, Pam, Gilman, Jo, *ae, although I wish I could have given the last spot to Volfred.

And I let Oralech twist in the wind. He's a jerk.

Endgame observations: Bertrude is hilariously powerful, Hex of Victory + Living Flame/Cur Fang + dunk is basically a mega ultra win button if you can start with the lead from an artifact, or get it quickly. Bonus if another character has Righteous Flame.

Fully upgrading Ti'zo's challenge artifact makes him godlike and nearly unkillable. So does getting *ae's final mastery in the right-hand tier.

Jodariel + Black Claw + double dash = killdozer.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 6, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On my second playthrough I'm tempted to fail every single Liberation

e: I didn't use any of the "Cursed" artifacts, is there really no downside to them?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I just beat the game. Pyre is really good, though I like Transistor better. I want to see the different ways the story can resolve, though I don't think I'm emotionally ready for another playthrough. In particular, I want to see Jodi's backstory, who I freed first.
I feel like I missed so much potential story. What happens if I free Pamitha and Tamitha? Can I free the son after I free the old cur? What about Jodi and that big guy from the Tempers? Someone in this thread mentioned Oralech will make friends with other liberated exiles, and I want to see that, too.

precision posted:

On my second playthrough I'm tempted to fail every single Liberation

e: I didn't use any of the "Cursed" artifacts, is there really no downside to them?

I'm almost tempted to do an """evil""" playthrough: fail every trial, never let any Nightwings go free, oppose Volfred's plan as much as possible, choose the most antagonistic dialogue options. But, uh, that sounds depressing as hell and not very fun.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how long is the story?

any choices/different paths?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It took me 11 hours (just beat it now) on easy mode, there's a whole bunch of variant endings depending on who you win/lose to. I enjoyed the game a lot!

Violent but successful revolution. I sent back Ignatius (I didn't realise the rites would be so limited..), Jodariel who hooked up with Ignatius, Hedwyn who got together with his harpy lady, Sir Gilman, Rukey and Tamitha who remained buddies, and Oralech because someone had to cut the dude some slack. Tamitha and Pamitha never spoke to each other again..

I felt bad for beating Dalbert, but Almer ended up happy with *ae in the Downside and Dalbert died peacefully in his sleep so that worked out. *ae and Ti'zo remained buddies4lyfe. Volfred did a literacy campaign and got a statue. Bertrude continued to Bertrude on.

So! Pretty much everyone ended up happyish even though I was playing blind.

My only regret is I was too bad at sportsball to complete all the trials and get Sandra's ending too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Finally got around to playing this, I loved it. Supergiant's best easily. Here are random late-night sleep-deprived thoughts upon finishing it:

- Interestingly there are a lot of components of Bastion and Transistor that exceed their equivalent components in Pyre IMO, like overall soundtrack and art style, but I don't think those games come together as a whole as well as this one does. If you had told me before playing that it would be the best Supergiant game yet have the worst soundtrack I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.

- I guess there's a lot to be said for learning from past mistakes, as the story especially feels like a huge reaction to complaints about Transistor in a good way. You want closure? Oh we'll give you closure.

- It felt really refreshing to play a game in the visual novel style that didn't suffer from massive over-wordiness. The amount of text at any given interval is pretty close to just right. That's alone is a huge achievement and they deserve a lot of credit, especially for a first entry in the genre. Letting you dump characters you find annoying early probably helped with that too.

- Kind of unrelated but throughout I couldn't help but think that something very similar to this would have been an amazing chassis on which to build Barkley 2, instead of what they actually did.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 6, 2017

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Just finished this. A Good Game, as I've come to expect from Supergiant.

Loved it, even if I liked Transistor a bit more.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you had told me before playing that it would be the best Supergiant game yet have the worst soundtrack I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.

I am sorry this is just flat out not correct, if only because of the existence of Knights of the Sea.

Also can we please get a version of :dunkedon: for this thread, possibly with Tizo instead of Sans?

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 6, 2017

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Finished it last night. I liked Transistor better, but this was still a good game. Was not disappointed.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

strangemusic posted:

I am sorry this is just flat out not correct, if only because of the existence of Knights of the Sea.

Amen that.

I'm going to praise the soundtrack endlessly just for the effort put into the mixing of the modular tracks. There's dozens of versions of certain tracks swapped around depending on the conditions.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kurtofan posted:

how long is the story?

any choices/different paths?

several hours? I wasn't keeping exact track but I'd say longer than doing just one run-through of bastion/transistor, but shorter than if you did ng+ on those games as well. Also depends on how much of the conversations and whatnot you do. There's also an off-line versus mode to play against the ai or for couch matches.

There's only one main story path, but there's lots and lots of choices and variations along the way. Which characters you send home, which enemy teams you face (to progress your characters plotlines), hell even winning or losing can be a choice because the game continues either way.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Listening to the OST today, there are definitely highlights. Most of the generic fight themes are good to great in isolation.

Problem is the Korb/Barrett vocals songs all leave me a little cold right now, which is a big problem since those are the hooks. They're samey-sounding and have gummy obvious lyrics. I'm probably in the minority but that's how I feel.

Anyway worst of the three is a pretty mild criticism considering the competition. I'll definitely give it a few listens and see if it really clicks. Cheers gaming friends.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The thing is I feel the soundtrack isn't up there with Bastion and Transistor separated from the game but within the game it's above and beyond because it enhances the experience so much. If you're gonna go and listen to the team versions of Never to Return for example they might leave you cold because as individual pieces they're often dissonant and kinda weird but within the game they're goddamn climactic every time. Similarly Bound Together has the impact it does specifically because it's a minstrel song about your adventure, without the adventure it's kinda just there. Esp since the versions of those songs on the OST are the neutral versions you don't even hear in the game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Never to Return didn't really work for me in-game either to be honest. I respect the insane amount of effort they put into all the versions but I think it was a case of putting too many eggs in one basket; if you bounce off the core song like I did then to some extent you bounce off of the emotional peak of the game many times over.

I definitely agree with you on Bound Together though, that song is hugely improved by having *your* version.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I thought I'd hate Xae but really grew to like her

In fact all of the party minus Ser Gillman I really, really loved. Bertrude is the absolute best, nothin like wipin 3 people out in a single blast B)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This game's music is insanely good ESPECIALLY the vocal tracks :wtf:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like the vocal tracks a lot but the liberation one rite is by far the weakest imo, which is an issue since it's the one you'll be hearing like seven times

the game's soundtrack is great but it does kinda bother me that the best themes (Knights of the Sea and Grand Ceremony) are for what are basically the comic relief teams? I feel like the strongest songs of the Bastion/Transistor soundtrack were more intrinsically tied to those games' climactic moments, if that makes sense

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

dmboogie posted:

i like the vocal tracks a lot but the liberation one rite is by far the weakest imo, which is an issue since it's the one you'll be hearing like seven times

the game's soundtrack is great but it does kinda bother me that the best themes (Knights of the Sea and Grand Ceremony) are for what are basically the comic relief teams? I feel like the strongest songs of the Bastion/Transistor soundtrack were more intrinsically tied to those games' climactic moments, if that makes sense

Yeah well said. I think Bastion and Transistor had conditioned me to anticipate a new Holy poo poo Song at the climax, and when it kept being versions of Never to Return it was a bit of a letdown. I probably would have perceived the song differently without that expectation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Half of the teams are "comic relief teams" kinda. Pyrehearts, Dissidents, Sap Team, even the Withdrawn are kinda goofy because the lore doesn't give you any fear that Yslich actually exists.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Repetition actually made Never to Return stronger to me

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I still think Paper Boats, the credits song from Transistor, is the best song from all three games.

I absolutely agree that Pyre's music works so well as part of the game itself.

Also Gilman is great but you might need the larger aoe and the "banishing an enemy revives a teammate" masteries to really get work done with him. His legendary talisman helps a lot too.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think a more dramatic remix for the climax would have been good. Have the minstrel wail on some electric guitars to give it that proper dramatic showdown feel. As far as soundtracks go, Transistor > Pyre > Bastion. But that's not because Pyre or Bastion are bad, but because Transistor was so drat good that I can still fully enjoy the vocal tracks outside the game's context.

However, my emotional investment was definitely higher in this one. I literally sat, spinning around in my chair and groaning, for a good 5+ minutes while I debated whether to lose intentionally to Dalbert, or who to send home, and I must have repeated the Pamitha fight a good 10+ times despite it kicking my teeth in every time (that harpy fight is loving brutal) in my determination to get Rukey home.

The one thing I felt where the impact didn't quite work was with Brighton. If they wanted to do the ~you could have been my protege and Volfred is a liar~ in a way that introduced real doubts, he really should have been less of a sneering dick at the start of the game.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

deathbot posted:

The one thing I felt where the impact didn't quite work was with Brighton. If they wanted to do the ~you could have been my protege and Volfred is a liar~ in a way that introduced real doubts, he really should have been less of a sneering dick at the start of the game.

There were two aspects to that that kind of confused me. Brighton left the Downside before Volfred joined the Nightwings, hence them having a slot for Volfred. So Brighton's only awareness of Volfred/the disaster at the Nightwing's Liberation Rite can be secondhand, assuming he didn't immediately become Archjustice after leaving the Downside. He seems way too vitriolic for that to make sense, though I guess Volfred's Plan also plays party to that.

The other aspect was that the morality was way too black and white. The Commonwealth is pretty objectively bad. Not only by Volfred's account but by the stories of basically every one of your companions who were in some way wronged by the Commonwealth or circumstances it set up. I had no reason to sympathize with Brighton or the Commonwealth, and so pleading on its behalf was meaningless. Its kinda a shame considering how nuanced it was in Bastion. Sure, the Ura are being dicks right now trying to gently caress up your one chance at going back in time/starting a new life, but they have good reason given Caelondia's earlier actions and being the catalyst for the Calamity.

Re: Paper Boats vs Never to Return, I think Pyre's just really lacks the striking vocals that it and Home Sweet Home have. The music is also a little heavier then either of those examples, which distracts from the vocals.

Bound Together is better about it, but the modularity, while impressive, makes the OST version have less oomph. As someone said, too many eggs in one basket IMO.

Still a stellar soundtrack thats going into my regular playlists, but it doesn't hit the same highs as Transistor's.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Conot posted:

There were two aspects to that that kind of confused me. Brighton left the Downside before Volfred joined the Nightwings, hence them having a slot for Volfred. So Brighton's only awareness of Volfred/the disaster at the Nightwing's Liberation Rite can be secondhand, assuming he didn't immediately become Archjustice after leaving the Downside. He seems way too vitriolic for that to make sense, though I guess Volfred's Plan also plays party to that.

The Archjustice can speak to and read the Rite contenders' minds though, just like you can read the other characters' minds and Volfred can communicate with you telepathically. He becomes aware of Volfred the moment he dons the raiments again and IIRC he specifically said he stopped participating so he could elude the Voice

Another point: Readers might just be so rare that one being liberated is grounds for becoming an Archjustice successor right away. You never meet other Readers in the Downside other than Volfred so it might as well be you're the only one partaking in the Rites at the time. The Book does state the teams may appoint a Reader in order to help coordinate but other teams likely don't have one.

Nina fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 7, 2017

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Nina posted:

The Archjustice can speak to and read the Rite contenders' minds though, just like you can read the other characters' minds and Volfred can communicate with you telepathically. He becomes aware of Volfred the moment he dons the raiments again and IIRC he specifically said he stopped participating so he could elude the Voice

I was still confused on the ~traitor!!~ point because Volfred is an exile, and thus shouldn't really owe loyalty to the Commonwealth. I would have found it made more sense if Brighton blamed the Oralach mess on Volfred and used that as part of his 'Well he's going to betray you!!' but he doesn't really bring up anything. Honestly, the weakest narrative point is how much the original Nightwings mess is glossed over/left to inferrence when a huge chunk of the climax rite impact relies on it. The plot reveal that the voice is Brighton doesn't really.. matter because we don't see how that changes the dynamics. The plot doesn't even seem to hint at it beforehand because he doesn't react specially to Ti'zo, who would have been his teammate.

The morality of the Commonwealth rebellion is left pretty black and white as a result. He never showed us appreciation or gave us any real investment even in 'you can be my protege and be rich and powerful, and all these good things are waiting for you' to contrast Volfred's plan. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the plot as a whole and I had a lot of emotional investment, but the lack of choice about our revolution feelings fell flat when so much else of the game had us actually having to consider our choices. We had Brighton screaming about how we'd be betrayed and they're not trustworthy, and absolutely no reason or ability to believe in him.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Nina posted:

I agree Volfred was hiding from the Voice, but if the Voice could mindread/intentionread like the Reader can, then it would seem likely Brighton would be in agreement with Volfred, atleast about the Oralech incident, since he would be able to tell/see Volfred's sincerity/lack of deceit. Of course, it may be that he can see that but ignores it in favour of railing against Volfred because of the Plan

quote:

Another point: Readers might just be so rare that one being liberated is grounds for becoming an Archjustice successor right away. You never meet other Readers in the Downside other than Volfred so it might as well be you're the only one partaking in the Rites at the time. The Book does state the teams may appoint a Reader in order to help coordinate but other teams likely don't have one.

It would make sense in that regard, but I think every team atleast needs a Reader-lite, or else how would they read the stars to know their next destination? The only people who seem capable of doing it other then yourself is Volfred (another Reader) and to a certain extent the Minstrel (who is a special case).

With regards to other teams Readers, I just always assumed they were, like yourself, confined to the sidelines for Rites. Present in mind but not in body. The only time we see enemy teams interact with you is before Rites or inbetween Rites (Oralech in the wagon etc).

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The themes of the plot are quite literally built on those who rise from adversity to profit off of a status quo originally built on benevolent intentions vs those who rebel against it despite showing respect for its foundation. It is quite black and white but a real person would be tempted by the security of wealth and status especially when elevated from suffering. As a player the Archjustice's temptations mean nothing to you but within the world they make sense

Nina fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I think the Voice considers Volfred to be a traitor because he's trying to stop the Rites, despite being one of the Nightwings. It somewhat parallels Oralech's feelings about him. The demon was betrayed and thinks Sandalwood was responsible, merely because he was there and didn't help. The Voice sees the cycle of the Rites is ending and blames Volfred because of the Plan. They're both so focused on their own obsession that they assume Volfred is the one to blame.

• Locked thread