Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'm glad Grandpa Harley is now a horrible dick, this is the advancement homestuck was missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Was he ever not
All we knew about Grandpa Harley is he went galavanting about the globe killing big things and was kind of a creep and then got murdered by his dog because some alien misunderstood the culture and was an rear end in a top hat
And it's pretty clear Joey resents her Pa for not being around and instead just leaving all this stuff around that doesn't mesh with her TEENAGE TASTES more than him actually being a horrible dick, while Jude absolutely takes after their father (which given their attitude towards each other probably doesn't help her liking any of it because "brother likes it = Brother is a dork with bad taste and I hate stuff he likes = I hate dad's stuff"

Personally 'teenager assumes worst about parental figure and dislikes the stuff they like' is fine and believable and leads to some entertaining dialogue so :shrug:

It's just "dad is old school hunting type who's out all the time and also is into some weird poo poo with stuffing dead bodies which creeps me out, and I hate that he's not around all the time and likes things I don't like" which is teenagers.txt

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 15, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Yeah, this is through the lens of a kid that wuvs animals and wants to be a veterinarian. Or vegetarian? Probably checks out.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Yeah, this is through the lens of a kid that wuvs animals and wants to be a veterinarian. Or vegetarian? Probably checks out.

Both, actually! She says she doesn't like meat.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I quite liked it! I feel like it sorta needs a lot of patience with using everything on everything, though, since most of the jokes/worldbuilding are hidden away in those. The game might be too dry comedy-wise outside of those narratives, and anyone who gets tired of doing the inventory rub shuffle early on is going to miss out on rubbing the pigeon up against the piano and stuff. I like examining things in video games and reading the endless text boxes though so I was in my element. Wish I could use the number keys to select items, though.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Seeing this game pop on on Steam was like receiving a bloody note from someone who was assumed murdered. I had no idea that they were still trying to make a Homestuck video game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CJacobs posted:

Fuckin' brutal

Don't worry Joey, in ten years you'll be crushed to death by a meteorite along with everyone you've ever known or loved and none of this will have mattered.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

i don't know what all the negativity in this thread is about, this game is more like homestuck then the majority of act 6

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

fractalairduct posted:

i don't know what all the negativity in this thread is about, this game is more like homestuck then the majority of act 6

mspa thread regulars are incredibly bitter

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Just finished it. It was fun!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

It's a few things: For one, the "Duke Nukem Forever" effect- it took 5+ years and we got 3 hours of content out and some signs point to them not making any more (mostly their competence thus far). For another, it's written by the guy who did a bunch of the snapchats and... possibly ghostwrote some of Act 6 if certain conspiracy theories are to be believed, not Andrew Hussie. And his homestuck content so far has been Not Good™. That, plus the people who threw 200$ at it because they loved the comic and wanted to see more content and then instead got told the comic was going on hiatus essentially because of how successful they were (indirectly, but still) and also the game was getting pushed back indefinitely and also you aren't getting all of it, you're getting half the game, and also the quality took a nosedive possibly directly because of what happened with the game. And a lot of people were hoping 5 years of waiting would result in a lot more than 'there's some funny comments if you use the batteries on the poster' and such. There's the fact that nobody knows when the next chapter is coming out (if it does, and in spite of my general positivity towards what we currently have, it's still an if) and then there's the fact that they responded to people having concerns by essentially laughing it off/telling them they don't need to worry in a jokey fashion like the game wasn't meant for loving 2014.

Basically, the problem isn't what we got out of it- it's the road to get there.

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KaosMachina posted:

For another, it's written by the guy who did a bunch of the snapchats and... possibly ghostwrote some of Act 6 if certain conspiracy theories are to be believed, not Andrew Hussie. And his homestuck content so far has been Not Good™.

Between the writing in Hiveswap and his recent interview, I'm much more on board with Cohen now than I was before. I too had a lot of reservations about it especially after the snapchat stuff, but I thoroughly enjoyed the writing in Hiveswap, and he nailed the character interactions particularly well. Joey and Xefros have both grown on me significantly, much like a lot of the HS characters did. The bazilion item interaction jokes don't always hit but there's still a lot of pretty clever stuff in there and I appreciate the attention to that level of detail.

Considering Hussie apparently still makes the final call on everything and he's got a team that seems to be able to capture his style well, I'm pretty happy with what we got and I'm looking forward to what's next. I don't see any point in dwelling any further on the issues the comic/game suffered. It really is time to move on, especially now that we've got something tangible to move on to.

edit: I also kind of want to talk about the idea that ending up with this kind of setup (with Hussie as the main creative direction but with a team under him handling the details) was inevitable. The dude pushed himself SUPER HARD, mostly by himself, for a significant part of Homestuck and there was no way that was going to be sustainable. It's a shame that he (and the fans by extension) had to discover that the hard way and it had a negative effect on the comic, but I'm hoping that now with an established team (and the backing of more resources from Viz) we can get some more consistent content and Hussie will have the time to work his creative magic without burning himself out on it.

cathead fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Question 1: How big is the final game supposed to be?

Question 2: Is the game palatable to someone who never read that web-comic and doesn't want to?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Question 1: How big is the final game supposed to be?

Question 2: Is the game palatable to someone who never read that web-comic and doesn't want to?

1) It is supposed to be two 4-part games. Hiveswap Acts 1-4 (which focuses on Joey/Xefros) and then Hauntswitch Acts 1-4 (which will focus on Jude/Dammek). Considering Act 1 was about 2-4 hours depending on how you played through it, you can probably extrapolate the length from that.

2) I'd say it is, if you like point-and-click adventure games and are into it's style of humor. There's a fair number of Homestuck references sprinkled in but there's really nothing that requires you to have read it in order to understand anything, since it just assumes you haven't when describing things.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I kinda like the writing so far but it's running like garbage on my computer.

Look at that poo poo with the yet to be used drawer closeup showing up like I'm looking at a PS1 framebuffer in an emulator. Even without that the picture is jumping left and right while I walk around. A bit after that, I'm pretty sure something funny was suppose to happen with the pigeons, only I didn't see it because the game cut each of the cutscenes after the first second. Then it started doing that with the strife fights too.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Chev posted:

I kinda like the writing so far but it's running like garbage on my computer.

Look at that poo poo with the yet to be used drawer closeup showing up like I'm looking at a PS1 framebuffer in an emulator. Even without that the picture is jumping left and right while I walk around. A bit after that, I'm pretty sure something funny was suppose to happen with the pigeons, only I didn't see it because the game cut each of the cutscenes after the first second. Then it started doing that with the strife fights too.

Try changing resolutions and disabling v-sync then restarting the game, that usually fixes it. They're already working on a patch to address some stuff like that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

One workaround from the Steam thread: change resolution from 1600x900 (native) to 1280xWhatever. Some people say this helps, some don't. I find it really interesting that running on my MacBook with OS Sierra I had not a single glitch. This suggests to me that most/all of the developers were running on Macs and fixed bugs as they saw them, but there wasn't enough testing on PC.

A hilarious Tumblr occurrence: People who latched on to fan fave Dammek from a couple of stills are outraged that he turned out to be a complete rear end in a top hat, and are trying to explain things like we haven't seen him first-hand be an rear end in a top hat, it's all filtered through Xefros.

e: f,b

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dammek is a heroic revolutionary

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Dammek is a heroic revolutionary

This does not prevent him from being a grade A rear end in a top hat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can't overthrow a corrupt dictatorship without breaking a few eggs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Regy Rusty posted:

Can't overthrow a corrupt dictatorship without breaking a feweggs moirails
In this case, "a few eggs" translates to their entire neighborhood, which at least gives Her Majesty a good background for a selfie.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

cathead posted:

Try changing resolutions and disabling v-sync then restarting the game, that usually fixes it. They're already working on a patch to address some stuff like that.
It fixed the screen jumping around but I'm still not getting any significant part of the cutscenes, so after going up to Joey's second Alternia segment while not really getting what's going on, I decided I'm going for my first refund ever. I guess maybe down the line when the kinks are ironed out and some more episodes are out I may give it another chance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Chev posted:

It fixed the screen jumping around but I'm still not getting any significant part of the cutscenes, so after going up to Joey's second Alternia segment while not really getting what's going on, I decided I'm going for my first refund ever. I guess maybe down the line when the kinks are ironed out and some more episodes are out I may give it another chance.

This is obviously a P1 bug and they'll be putting all available manpower on it. You might wait a week or so to see if there's a 1.0.1 patch, but that would depend on how annoyed you are.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It sure is a good thing that they delayed the game like 8 months for bug testing

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is obviously a P1 bug and they'll be putting all available manpower on it. You might wait a week or so to see if there's a 1.0.1 patch, but that would depend on how annoyed you are.
I'm a bit cooled down now, I guess I'll wait a few days and give it a chance. My beef is twofold, really, it's bugged to the bone but also pretty underwhelming as an adventure game (in that the puzzles are laughable and the interactions inconsistent). I realized that if it wasn't connected to Homestuck I wouldn't even give it a passing look, though I do like the writing of Joey (Xerox less so).

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

haha it's fixed now, but last night i got an e-mail from we love fine promoting their hiveswap merch and they had the wrong names for all the characters

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, as someone who burned out on MSPA stuff a while back, I actually think it's pretty great, if way too short.

My only real problem, besides the length, is that Alternia could have used even more examinable stuff in the background.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

What the heck is Dammek's first name?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's actually sort of impressive how insanely loving buggy this piece of poo poo is.

e: Oh, and the spelling errors. They managed to make a 2 hour long game with a crazy amount of bugs and a shitload of spelling/grammar errors. I have no loving idea why they figured this was worth releasing. Also it's so short that when i saw the end credits, i assumed it was the title card sequence instead.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 15, 2017

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't particularly noticed spelling errors, but it looks like all the fake games/movies/shows names were a late change because some weren't fully changed, sometimes even in the same text box (notably the Tetris one).

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 15, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

So far, all I've seen is "boutique" misspelled, which frankly I'll give them a mulligan on. poo poo's hard.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The main problem with the story is just the problem with every prequel story

You know where this is going. You know how this ends.

Even if they defeat the Heiress, and they do or at least SOMETHING happens to her because by the time of Homestuck there's only one Heiress, we know that nothing changes for Alternia from this.

More importantly, even if they all grow up and live great lives, their ultimate fate is to get Glubbed or Meteored out of existence.

Even if Joey survives those, she has the omnipresent Jack Kills the Universe hanging over her

The only way out is for them to play the game which they very clearly are not going to do nor are they supposed to because, as far as we know, they're all normal people and not weird gameconstruct children.

Though that'd be a loving hell of a swerve if like, Part 4 is actually a full game of Sburb

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Burkion posted:

The main problem with the story is just the problem with every prequel story

You know where this is going. You know how this ends.

Even if they defeat the Heiress, and they do or at least SOMETHING happens to her because by the time of Homestuck there's only one Heiress, we know that nothing changes for Alternia from this.

More importantly, even if they all grow up and live great lives, their ultimate fate is to get Glubbed or Meteored out of existence.

Even if Joey survives those, she has the omnipresent Jack Kills the Universe hanging over her

The only way out is for them to play the game which they very clearly are not going to do nor are they supposed to because, as far as we know, they're all normal people and not weird gameconstruct children.

Though that'd be a loving hell of a swerve if like, Part 4 is actually a full game of Sburb
Homestuck is all about rewriting timelines. I have no idea if the full Hiveswap will be, but patching Joey and Jude's continuity into post-SBURB Earth would be trivial, by Hussie standards.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, they'll probably find some way to rewire the portal to escape the scratch and the end of all things.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The game just hard locked on me as the first Strife was about to begin.

10/10 just like HS

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So far, all I've seen is "boutique" misspelled, which frankly I'll give them a mulligan on. poo poo's hard.

some of the grammar in this game is fuckin' wild

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Freak Futanari posted:

I have no loving idea why they figured this was worth releasing.

They needed someone to bug test it. Welcome to modern gaming!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

Obviously John's gonna bump into one of them at some point, randomly flashing in only to disappear after you do something for him, and then all the characters get rescued by him at the end of Hiveswap/Hauntswitch/Horseshit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Freak Futanari posted:

some of the grammar in this game is fuckin' wild

That looks like standard Homestuck elliptical speech, with somebody having edited to replace "an excuse" with "a fancy way" (or vice versa) and messed it up. If you correct to "a fancy way", it's ANSI-standard Homestuck for a sentence to go twice around the block and up a tree before winding its way safe to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
if only there was some way to discover and fix such mistakes before releasing the game... perhaps some sort of "proofed reading" that could feasibly be carried out on a 2-hour long game within a period of approximately 8 months

• Locked thread