Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Please tell us what it is, what is the impact?

the wakanda salute is pretty big. i don't think it's had the same cultural impact as "get out" but at least that bit did make the rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

cargohills posted:

going to go for the ultimate take here, get ready:

black panther was fine. it's not really "best picture" material, but neither is bohemian rhapsody and at least this matters as representation. it also isn't going to win so getting overly worked up about it is a total waste of time.

Its this. Although I still want it to win so I can see pundit heads blow up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I feel like year is the one that most aggressively seems to be trying to force films that are bad to be seen as not bad

Green book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Vice were all critically panned but somehow still got the nom and two of them are front runners

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still stand by the fact that the Best Foreign Film category stands stronger than Best Picture. And BFF doesn't have Burning in it, so if Best Picture was literally BFF + Burning + The Favourite + First Reformed plus a few others, it would be a far better category than the one that actually exists.

I'm also a strong believer in the "Black Panther wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it was absolutely competent and left an important cultural impact, and representation matters so I'm fine with it's inclusion" mindset.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still stand by the fact that the Best Foreign Film category stands stronger than Best Picture. A

this is like every year though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is fair. Petition to rename Best Picture to "Best American Picture, I Guess" and put it down in the technical categories. Maybe inbetween Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is fair. Petition to rename Best Picture to "Best American Picture, I Guess" and put it down in the technical categories. Maybe inbetween Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

I know its replacing one problematic set of criteria for another but I usually just pay attention to what wins the Palme D'or instead

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Burning was the best film I watched this year, and I watched all the loving films.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Where the gently caress is your avatar from?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

the wakanda salute is pretty big. i don't think it's had the same cultural impact as "get out" but at least that bit did make the rounds.

Remember the Hunger Games salute?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Black Panther certainly has a lot of fans in media, but as far as regular, popular audiences go, I recall the most common response was "It's easily the second or third best Marvel movie!", which certainly indicates that people like it, but is really underwhelming praise for a movie that's nominated for Best Picture. I'd say it's about as good a movie as Avatar and will probably have the same cultural impact.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Remember the Hunger Games salute?

no because that had pretty much no cultural impact.

i know you guys are white (i am too) but there's no reason to be this white.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Where the gently caress is your avatar from?

The Devils by Ken Russell, one of the best films ever made

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

http://crucialweb.net/oscars/viewvote.php?user=EL%20BROMANCE

I think that's me probably locked unless I get chance to see watch something that unexpectedly blows me away this afternoon (maybe Shoplifters?). I'll leave the vote open for a few more hours at least just in case any latecomers fancy giving a shot.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

pospysyl posted:

Black Panther certainly has a lot of fans in media, but as far as regular, popular audiences go, I recall the most common response was "It's easily the second or third best Marvel movie!", which certainly indicates that people like it, but is really underwhelming praise for a movie that's nominated for Best Picture. I'd say it's about as good a movie as Avatar and will probably have the same cultural impact.

I really wish Spider-Man would have been nominated instead. Yeah I know it would have never happened, but it was bananas good. Easily my favorite Marvel movie. The style, the story, the innovation, the sound, it was amazing.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Was blindspotting not eligible or something because I just watched that and lol if you say it's wore than Bohemian Rhapsody. That movie was excellent.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think that's me probably locked unless I get chance to see watch something that unexpectedly blows me away this afternoon (maybe Shoplifters?). I'll leave the vote open for a few more hours at least just in case any latecomers fancy giving a shot.

shoplifters wrecked. me.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Serena Williams presenting best picture to Black Panther would be a real ‘I would’ve voted for Obama a third time if I could have.’ Moment for the Academy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is there an O/U number on how low the ratings will be?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Black Panther was an enormous crossover hit that brought Afrofuturism into the mainstream, proved for not the first time that there is tremendous audience interest in movies about minorities, and that the material is accessible and compelling. It's an inspiring fantasy about what the world would be like if the most powerful nation on Earth was native African, and it's a great jumping board onto how we were robbed of these possibilities, as well as other topics that typically receive zero attention in the media but that have been prevalent among under-represented communities for decades. It creates a vision of a world never before seen in mainstream cinema and merges that with the tremendous challenge of creating a big budget film.

I don't think it has any chance of winning, but this is the same Academy that rained awards on Return of the King. Several of its competitors are weak af so it could conceivably be a big surprise.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 25, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i worry that Netflix snobbery will rob Roma of awards

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

QuoProQuid posted:

i worry that Netflix snobbery will rob Roma of awards

I'd be ok with that if Spike Lee finally gets his due

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Free Solo wins Best documentary. We can wrap it up now, the night has peaked.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tom Morello presenting Vice, lol

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1099826938171011082

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Tom Morello presenting Vice, lol

So that actually happened and wasn't just me having an aneurysm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've got the results running pretty much live on the page - http://crucialweb.net/oscars/results.php
And I have the leaderboard refreshing every 10 minutes - http://crucialweb.net/oscars/leaderboard.php

One dude has 6 for 6 right now, not sure if he's a goon as not in the group.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Black Panther was an enormous crossover hit that brought Afrofuturism into the mainstream, proved for not the first time that there is tremendous audience interest in movies about minorities, and that the material is accessible and compelling. It's an inspiring fantasy about what the world would be like if the most powerful nation on Earth was native African, and it's a great jumping board onto how we were robbed of these possibilities, as well as other topics that typically receive zero attention in the media but that have been prevalent among under-represented communities for decades. It creates a vision of a world never before seen in mainstream cinema and merges that with the tremendous challenge of creating a big budget film.

I don't think it has any chance of winning, but this is the same Academy that rained awards on Return of the King. Several of its competitors are weak af so it could conceivably be a big surprise.
Its your bog standard Marvel movie but it just so happens to have a cast of black actors. Its Ryan Coogler's worst movie so far. Return of the King is better.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
GET hosed

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY BEST EDITING?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The 2019 Academy Awards are one long death montage

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
How do people who make movies have the objectively worst opinions on movies?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Its your bog standard Marvel movie but it just so happens to have a cast of black actors. Its Ryan Coogler's worst movie so far. Return of the King is better.

Yeah, Black Panther was basicslly the suburban white liberal take on an African powerhouse, and the messaging was absolutely horrible. On top of mediocre direction and action sequences and ok cinematography, etc.

Note that Spider-verse came out this year and was a MUCH better black superhero movie.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Sodomy Hussein posted:

i don't think you're gonna get the surprise you were expecting!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Laura Dern enters to the Jurassic Park theme song. Play a cut from Wild at Heart, cowards

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
SPIDER-MAN !! Lord and Miller! SUCK IT DISNEY! SUCK IT UP YOUR poo poo!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Gatts posted:

SPIDER-MAN !! Lord and Miller! SUCK IT DISNEY! SUCK IT UP YOUR poo poo!

They got played off too, because there's like five directors, which is bullshit. How do you not account for that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ah, i was hoping they'd drag out Tim Blake Nelson to perform

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

I forgot to enter the goon group after voting so fixed that, also I hope y'all saw Shoplifters because it was great

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I, Butthole posted:

GET hosed

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY BEST EDITING?

Hahahahahahaha

What a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

I forgot to enter the goon group after voting so fixed that, also I hope y'all saw Shoplifters because it was great

Yeah, I literally closed voting like 2 minutes before the show started because I was watching it. I switched my Best Foreign out from Roma to it. It was obvious that the movie with half a dozen+ nominations would take that category, but Shoplifters eked it out for me.