Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elephant Parade posted:

I think they were all released within a couple of months save for Sayaka, who took half a year or something ridiculous

It's cause Sayaka is the OP of the OG. I mean, did you check out that glorious sakuga?

It was a great opening episode, but I think it is pretty clear it won't be representative of the season going forward. I mean, it isn't the OG's story. We have to go back to the Kamihama crew. We probably won't see the OG team again until near the end of the part or even until the second part later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Remind me why they all got some of Mami's ribbons now?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for those who played the game, how involved are the OG5 in the story going forward (particularly Madoka and Homura)?

Regardless, I liked that the season opened on what was basically a bonus episode of Madoka Magica (albeit in a different universe) but I imagine we’ll be going back to the MR cast next time.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Forgall posted:

Remind me why they all got some of Mami's ribbons now?
I assume Sayaka picked it up after their fight, but I dunno about Homura. It seemed to me like she was just imitating her?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That, or whatever the Magius did to Mami is contagious, and Sayaka and Homura are both slowly turning into Mamis themselves.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i assumed the ribbon on homura was like in rebellion

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
The ribbon is a visual metaphor about how Mami created a connection between these disparate people and now they're holding onto her memory. I don't think there's an in-universe explanation for it

Edit: Thought Mami was dead for a second before remembering this is the other timeline...

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 1, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i forgot how much Sayaka kicks rear end

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

The ribbon is a visual metaphor about how Mami created a connection between these disparate people and now they're holding onto her memory. I don't think there's an in-universe explanation for it

Edit: Thought Mami was dead for a second before remembering this is the other timeline...
Well sure. It's clearly a metaphor, but the bit where Sayaka is brooding in her room, specifically, makes me look for an explanation for it. That kind of pure metaphor is usually reserved for when there's a Witch or Uwasa around. Otherwise, the environments are often pretty bizarre -- like the rest of Sayaka's room in that same scene -- but there's usually a logic to everything the characters directly interact with.

Not like there has to be, but there usually is.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

So for those who played the game, how involved are the OG5 in the story going forward (particularly Madoka and Homura)?

It's hard to say since the anime hasn't strictly followed the game when it comes to handling the OG5

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

It's hard to say since the anime hasn't strictly followed the game when it comes to handling the OG5

Ah, how big a role did they play in the game story in that case?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm ready for some more cheesecake with ketchup topping.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Ah, how big a role did they play in the game story in that case?

They play a part in basically all of the main plot events, but they're all still side characters relative the Kamihama cast. But again, this is probably irrelevant, since the same thing applied to everything that happened in the game's version of season 1's events, but for the anime Madoka/Homura ended up not showing up at all.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

astr0man posted:

They play a part in basically all of the main plot events, but they're all still side characters relative the Kamihama cast.

Ah, so the anime expanded their role a bit then (which I’ve got no problem with honestly as its fun seeing the old girls in action again)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Ah, so the anime expanded their role a bit then (which I’ve got no problem with honestly as its fun seeing the old girls in action again)

Not really, in the game the OG5 have their own dedicated set of side stories that runs parallel to the main story, and shows what's going on with the OG5 cast while they're in Mitakahara or when they are apart from the Kamihama girls. (pretty everything from this ep came from those stories)

But in terms of the "main story" stuff, the anime has reduced their role (significantly in S1).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I imagine the OGs will show up more often since Mami's the top lieutenant rn.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second episode is out and we return to our main cast (or what’s currently left of them anyway). Some good plot stuff in this one and I kind of like the new OP as well.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show good IMO

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Subtle Karin cameo in the OP:

Note the shape of her hair. Halloween OVA confirmed?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Good episode to show just how much for a drawback the doppel system is

Also Iroha is for Yachiyo!

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Good episode to show just how much for a drawback the doppel system is
Yeah, that was something the mobage never established (unless it did it in the last two chapters of the game after I fell off); Doppels were never shown to be anything more than a super mode/Grief-cleansing powerup, and I'm not even sure that was unintentional. The show, meanwhile, has changed the designs to make them more unnerving (scary white masks ahoy), and Yachiyo's Doppel very nearly convincing her to off Mifuyu establishes them as a real psychological threat. Yet another smart adaptational change to go with the rest, I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, overusing Doppels having the side effect of bringing the user into a Witch-like state is a nice touch. Strange to hear this wasn’t the case in the game.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
In the game it never really comes up in the main story, but there's optional side content that is focused on it (doppel release/uncap events).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume this entire episode was just an anime exclusive story then?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

I assume this entire episode was just an anime exclusive story then?

Pretty much yeah. The general stuff w/Yachiyo's backstory & emotional trauma from her wish comes from a mix of in-game main & side content, but everything that actually happens in the ep is new for the anime.

Seems like the anime is going to really start diverging from the game now, I'm excited to see what they end up doing with Kuroe

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't think Mitama was on the level, but this just raises further questions.

I didn't expect Yachiyo to catch on so suddenly, either. She's a sharp one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

astr0man posted:

Pretty much yeah. The general stuff w/Yachiyo's backstory & emotional trauma from her wish comes from a mix of in-game main & side content, but everything that actually happens in the ep is new for the anime.

Seems like the anime is going to really start diverging from the game now, I'm excited to see what they end up doing with Kuroe

I'm really curious about Kuroe in particular. She seems like she's been given an awfully important position for a character who's apparently not originally supposed to be here.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And who doesn't even have a first name!

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Kuroe's inclusion gives me great hope for this anime. There's a possibility for an anime-original arc that I think would make for great storytelling. While the first season was airing, I was wondering if the reason why Madoka and Homura didn't show up when they would have in a straight adaptation was because they were planning on giving them a greater role in subsequent seasons. Kuroe might be the key to this, since her storyline with Moemura proved surprisingly good. Other than that, I'm loving the lavish animation thus far.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/2021chaosgroup/status/1426574019583639563

https://twitter.com/shirofox/status/1426594570486181888

Great episode, I continue to really like what MagiReco's doing with its cast and its take on the franchise's themes. Also the new ED is pretty charged lol

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the gang’s all here, good episode this week.

So far this season has been a lot better than the last one which had a bit of an episodic MOTW style format at first, whereas this is more what you’d expect out of a Madoka series.

Liking the new ED as well. Next time, our star returns (hoping for more Homura at some point as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 14, 2021

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Kuroe has an interesting attitude here. Like the mild disdain of someone who's been dragged off to some social engagement by her parents when she'd much rather be at home playing video games.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I think she's just emo

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The mild disdain of someone who's been dragged off to some social engagement by her parents when she'd much rather be at home writing bad poetry, then.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Show continues to be good, powerful yachiroha episode

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

FractalSandwich posted:

The mild disdain of someone who's been dragged off to some social engagement by her parents when she'd much rather be at home writing bad poetry, then.
I mean, from the events of the episode it's pretty clear she cares about Iroha-- cares enough that it hurts her to see Iroha lying to herself, enough so that she's willing to risk a fight over it. She's just kind of surly

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, from the events of the episode it's pretty clear she cares about Iroha-- cares enough that it hurts her to see Iroha lying to herself, enough so that she's willing to risk a fight over it. She's just kind of surly
Sure. She comes around by the end of the episode, but she wasn't that close to Iroha before, and she has every reason to be suspicious of Yachiyo. So to begin with, at least, it really seems like this isn't her fight and she doesn't particularly want to be there. I like the contrast with Yachiyo, even if they converge a bit in the end.

It fits with everything else that's going on to make her feel like an outsider, too. She's new to this adaptation. She disappeared for most of the first season, and when we saw her again, she was suddenly with the Wings. She doesn't seem to have any strong connections to anyone else, and even the audience has never been told her first name. There's a lot of things that make her seem like she doesn't quite fit. That could just be bad writing, but I think there's something more to it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
She wasn't even in the first season's OP, which so trollishly included someone who's been dead since before the start of the story, and the two members of the OG crew who didn't show up at all until season 2.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I think this must also feel pretty weird for Kuroe given she basically ditched Iroha at the start of S1 and now Iroha is thinking of her as her super buddy in her dream, the vibe I get from her is like "I do appreciate that you care but also I don't entirely understand why??"

She's an odd element of the show but I liked her a lot in these 2 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Iroha’s officially back in action, we got a bit more of the OG gang this time as well (poor Kaede though)

I forget, how long is the current season going to be again (I know they said a while ago that they were splitting it into two parts)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 21, 2021