Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Whybird posted:

All right, this is as good as I can do. Not everything seems to line up, and there's no obvious space for the eye of horus to go:

drat, that was quick! I was still struggling with fitting all those strings of letters together. But I think I've spotted where you went wrong - you had that bridge/M tile in the wrong place. How does this look?

(Of course now we still need to figure out what it means!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The numbers and letters paired up in the corners look like a pretty clear numeric cipher, while there's a tiny double row of letters just down and left from center that looks like a cryptogram substitution from the alphabet onto the QWERTY keyboard layout (or vice versa). The latter would probably make some sense out of the letter fragments we've been getting at the end of each story segment.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think they're all alphabet/qwerty pairings. It's just really tiny font, and some of the characters have the path going over them, covering the characters.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

inflatablefish posted:

drat, that was quick! I was still struggling with fitting all those strings of letters together. But I think I've spotted where you went wrong - you had that bridge/M tile in the wrong place. How does this look?

(Of course now we still need to figure out what it means!)

Yes, you're absolutely right. I'd somehow interpreted that bridge as being the Canopy (which is in the next tile).

Nidoking posted:

The numbers and letters paired up in the corners look like a pretty clear numeric cipher, while there's a tiny double row of letters just down and left from center that looks like a cryptogram substitution from the alphabet onto the QWERTY keyboard layout (or vice versa). The latter would probably make some sense out of the letter fragments we've been getting at the end of each story segment.

The double rows of letters are just alphabet/qwerty pairings, yeah. I'd been assuming that this was just a way of giving us some landmarks that persist between tiles, but you're right, it could be a hint that we can translate some of the nonsensical magic words (like NZSLTZMB HGZUU in the Eight of Wands) into something readable.

Update: depending on whether we go from ABCDEF to QWERTY or vice versa, NZSTLZMB HGZUU becomes either fmlszmdw iumxx or ytlsetzx potgg -- so I'm guessing that's not it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I had a couple of ideas about the two squares in row 6 (B6, C6) with the twisty and straight paths. As the font is the same as the abcd/qwerty stuff, I had a crack at seeing if that revealed anything - but it doesn't seem to be the case. Then, I thought that perhaps the twisty path describes a path through the grid of letters in B6, but I think that still doesn't do anything.

Collating some stuff from the map, we have:

Big fancy letters - VFBUYUDR
Smaller bold-font letters that aren't roman numerals - TODUGSDL
Are these letters and roman numerals connected to the story/puzzles on the related parts of our journey, or are they something else?

Numeric cypher?
2R
3Y
4X
5G
6A
7Z
8F
9B
10N
11C
12H
13D
14W
15E
16L
17I
18T
19V
20O
21U
22J
23P
24M
25Q
26S

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The real Fool's Errand begins now. :getin:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Just don't say any of your attempts aloud in case you inadvertently summon a Great Old One.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Numeric cypher?
2R
3Y
4X
5G
6A
7Z
8F
9B
10N
11C
12H
13D
14W
15E
16L
17I
18T
19V
20O
21U
22J
23P
24M
25Q
26S

This was my first guess too when I saw how the letters and numbers in the corner of each section aligned. I’m guessing after we complete the map there will be a cipher of numbers to decode.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Wow. I feel like I shouldn't be surprised, given that some of you have managed to solve posted puzzles before I finished my nightly update, but uh... yeah, you guys are fast.

I'm not going to jump in to the next update just yet - I want to give people a little more time to try the map themselves - but before you guys give yourselves eyestrain trying to read the map, I wanted to let you know that the next update will give a better, clearer explanation of the non-numeric cipher keys.

Also:

Evil Mastermind posted:

The real Fool's Errand begins now. :getin:

:hellyeah:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've got a theory. I'm clearly missing something, but... the contents of the actual stories seem to be relevant in some way. I've been jotting them all down, obviously missing some crucial elements, and there are connections that lead to clues I can't figure out how to interpret. For example, Justice says of the Emperor and Empress "To lift the curse, the Emperor must simply take what is his from what is hers." The Emperor's clue was WIF DOVE, and The Empress's was VILE SHADOW and FIVE CIRCLE. All of the letters of his clue appear in hers, but I haven't made sense of what remains when they're removed, either altogether or just the single set of seven in the middle. There's also a trail of clues starting at the Three of Wands ("I am the first of six") that goes RW KD EZC YH HA RW ("it is the last of its kind").

The key to interpreting the ciphers must be the High Priestess's clue: "First, bring me the sacred inscription from the evil dark tower. And second, deliver the letters from the banner of Death." Those are, respectively, QM and ZA. Well, I noticed that those are the letters at the opposite ends of our QWERTY and alphabet strings. I presume that both are circular and that the inscriptions actually wrap around them, such that we're seeing only the parts where they join together. That would mean that the QWERTY string is reversed, so you get

code:
MNBVCXZLKJHGFDSAPOIUYTREWQ
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
I noticed immediately (given the Hermit's clue, "you must remember to locate a J and proceed from there") that the two Js line up perfectly. But this doesn't make sense of any of the clues I've seen, nor can I get them to line up with the third string (listing the letters in order of the corner clues), even by shifting the J to the same spot. Maybe someone can make the next logical leap from there?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
The thing you are missing is the thing that happens immediately after you assemble the Sun's map in-game.

Let's just say that you're on the right track for at least one of these so far.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Part 45: End Game

Congrats to Whybird and inflatablefish for putting together The Sun's map! Below is the final version from the game:

Once we put those together, the map certainly lets us know!

Holy cow, that's fast. I think that's a glitch with my video capture tool using the same controls as what you're supposed to hold down to get those to highlight.

And now our instructions have changed:

Okay, so let's go through the eleven new clues available on the map.

---

First and foremost is The Book of Thoth - the scroll with the eye upon it. When we open it up, we get:

(I mean, technically, we don't get exactly that, because the clues show up as subtext when we select a box, but I figured you wanted crappy c&p over 14 different screenshots.)

---

When we click on the field of letters in The Straight Path, we get:

---

When we click on The Wheel of Fortune we get a little pop-up:

---

When we click on the four boxes, we get the following:

Unlike The Book of Thoth, there are no clue subscripts or prompts at all for these. They are just blank boxes.

---

When we click on the four cipher codes, we are allowed to enter in letters and it responds with de-coded letters. I'm going to provide you the full ciphers so you can try putting what you think works in them. In all cases, the first (Courier) row is the letter entered, the second (Mac font) row is the letter received.

(Because this last one is just the alphabet reversed, I was lazy and only gave you one half of the answer, because you can just flip which row is which for the last half of the alphabet.)

---

Okay, so that's 1 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 4 for eleven clues, but I think either it's a mistake or what Johnson considers a "clue" is different from these, because there are still two other big things left on the map - the number code that Crazy Achmed captured, and the Maze that lights up.

The Maze of Thorns, as it's now called, is alluded to in this story snippet:

It's another interactive maze, and it doesn't require or provide anything that will prevent you from solving the rest of the puzzles and identifying the other 13 treasures. I'll provide the solution for the Maze when we have the other 13, and use that as the kick-off to the end.

You now have all of the information, albeit spread throughout the thread and not necessarily as easy to reference as it is in the game. All of the other treasures are findable. All I ask is that when you identify one, you show your work, because I'm pretty sure that every clue is used exactly once, and it's no fair to the other readers who might be trying things to not give them direction as well.

Enjoy! :)

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 24, 2020

Impropriety
Feb 15, 2012

Nidoking posted:

For example, Justice says of the Emperor and Empress "To lift the curse, the Emperor must simply take what is his from what is hers." The Emperor's clue was WIF DOVE, and The Empress's was VILE SHADOW and FIVE CIRCLE.

Removing the letters WIFDOVE from the Empress's clues gives VILESHACIRCLE. Rearranging these letters gives SILVER CHALICE (most of the word 'silver' is in the first few letters, helpfully); this fits in the box for Justice below.

The other one that comes to mind is the Hierophant puzzles - these probably use the alphanumeric cipher given that's the only one that uses number clues. The clue below suggests "disguised and confused", implying that we need to both decipher and rearrange the numbers to get to the answer.
The numbers in the puzzles are 15 - 24 - 2 - 6 - 13 - 15 - 2 - 20 - 14 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 16, which give EMRADEROWFELL. I think this arranges to EMERALD FLOWER.

Edit: Hierophant puzzles, not Hermit puzzles

Impropriety fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 24, 2020

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
And here we are, at The Best Puzzle. At the Carnival, 3 in Three, System's Twilight, System Syzygy, and The Fool and His Money all try to replicate the thunder here, and I never really thought any of them managed it quite as well.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Knocking off an easy one, to go with the clue "the mystic chant is disguised", we found a mystical chant at the Eight of Wands in update 6: NZSLTZMB HGZUU. Putting this into our ciphers, the fourth one translates this into Mahogany Staff (the rest appear to give gibberish).

Edit: I just noticed the Knight of Pentacles is carrying TEHWA, ERCI, and NCRO...or should that be WHEAT, RICE, and CORN? I have no idea what this means.

Edit 2: Also, the first two ciphers seem to be identical. Is that intentional?

Ineffable fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 24, 2020

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

"The straight path" relates to the Hermit's clue "locate a J and proceed from there" and Judgement's directions, which are stated to begin from the Hermit's advice: "4 to the North... 7 to the West... 3 to the North... 8 to the West... 6 to the South... 5 to the East... 9 to the North..." Starting from the J fourth from the right, second from the bottom, this gives the phrase "JADE IDOL".

The sequence of letters that starts at the Three of Wands can be run through the third cipher to get "ONYX MEDALLION". That seems to be the "Path of Six".

Also, the eight letters along the path on the map can be rearranged to spell "GOLD DUST", which seems to fit the pattern, but I can't tell which clue in the diagram that would fit. There's only one more that's a pair of two words, Knights and Pages, but I don't see how Knights and Pages relate to those letters - unless they happen to be on the tiles corresponding to those cards. EDIT: I guess I missed "Within the Kingdom of Wands" which also has that pattern of letters.

One more before I just step back and let other people have a go - The letters of the four queens anagram to CRYSTAL NECKLACE for "The Queens are confused"

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 24, 2020

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

And here we are, at The Best Puzzle. At the Carnival, 3 in Three, System's Twilight, System Syzygy, and The Fool and His Money all try to replicate the thunder here, and I never really thought any of them managed it quite as well.
Yeah, this is where the game goes from "good" to "brilliant".

e: I don't think skeleton warrior mentioned it, but once you unlocked all the spaces on the map, the game would let you print out the entire story in order with the map icons at each section. It's a shame you probably couldn't print that out from the emulator.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
If we take the four letters given to us by the kings (N Z T U), the four letters given to us by the aces, the symbols of the kings (S E B T) and combine them with the letters at the centre of the map (O R E A) - which is presumably where the kings are meeting (I admit this is a bit of an educated guess) - we can rearrange to get a Bronze Statue. This fits the first line in the Book of Thoth.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, this is where the game goes from "good" to "brilliant".

e: I don't think skeleton warrior mentioned it, but once you unlocked all the spaces on the map, the game would let you print out the entire story in order with the map icons at each section. It's a shame you probably couldn't print that out from the emulator.

Oh, god, I'd completely forgotten that! I remember doing that in my first play, though, wasting so much of the computer lab's paper to get the full story in the right order and make all my notes on it.

Ineffable posted:

Edit 2: Also, the first two ciphers seem to be identical. Is that intentional?

Nope! Let me go see what happened there.

edit: goddamn it, now it's copying one of the other codes instead let me fix that

edit2: okay, should be good now.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 24, 2020

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Nope! Let me go see what happened there.

edit: goddamn it, now it's copying one of the other codes instead let me fix that

edit2: okay, should be good now.

Thanks! Based on the newly replaced cipher, I'm fairly sure that "Eight in the land are disguised" refers to the eight larger letters scattered around the map: VFBUYDRU. They become YHETSAMT when put through the cipher, which is an anagram of Amethyst.

Edit: In fact, if you arrange the letters in the order the Fool encounters them as they move around the map, they naturally spell out "Amethyst" once put through the cipher.

Ineffable fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2020

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Part 46: The first eight treasures

Okay, great work so far! Let's recap what people have found:

Nidoking posted:

I've got a theory. I'm clearly missing something, but... the contents of the actual stories seem to be relevant in some way. I've been jotting them all down, obviously missing some crucial elements, and there are connections that lead to clues I can't figure out how to interpret. For example, Justice says of the Emperor and Empress "To lift the curse, the Emperor must simply take what is his from what is hers." The Emperor's clue was WIF DOVE, and The Empress's was VILE SHADOW and FIVE CIRCLE. All of the letters of his clue appear in hers, but I haven't made sense of what remains when they're removed, either altogether or just the single set of seven in the middle.

Impropriety posted:

Removing the letters WIFDOVE from the Empress's clues gives VILESHACIRCLE. Rearranging these letters gives SILVER CHALICE (most of the word 'silver' is in the first few letters, helpfully); this fits in the box for Justice below.

And Justice is done. Congrats!

-----

Impropriety posted:

The other one that comes to mind is the Hierophant puzzles - these probably use the alphanumeric cipher given that's the only one that uses number clues. The clue below suggests "disguised and confused", implying that we need to both decipher and rearrange the numbers to get to the answer.
The numbers in the puzzles are 15 - 24 - 2 - 6 - 13 - 15 - 2 - 20 - 14 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 16, which give EMRADEROWFELL. I think this arranges to EMERALD FLOWER.

And with that, the Heirophant is solved!

-----

Ineffable posted:

Knocking off an easy one, to go with the clue "the mystic chant is disguised", we found a mystical chant at the Eight of Wands in update 6: NZSLTZMB HGZUU. Putting this into our ciphers, the fourth one translates this into Mahogany Staff (the rest appear to give gibberish).

When you type the coded message into the correct cipher, it flashes at you to let you know you've got it, and it won't let you type anything else in... indicating that Code 4 is done. Congrats!

-----

Nidoking posted:

"The straight path" relates to the Hermit's clue "locate a J and proceed from there" and Judgement's directions, which are stated to begin from the Hermit's advice: "4 to the North... 7 to the West... 3 to the North... 8 to the West... 6 to the South... 5 to the East... 9 to the North..." Starting from the J fourth from the right, second from the bottom, this gives the phrase "JADE IDOL".

Nidoking posted:

There's also a trail of clues starting at the Three of Wands ("I am the first of six") that goes RW KD EZC YH HA RW ("it is the last of its kind")...

The sequence of letters that starts at the Three of Wands can be run through the third cipher to get "ONYX MEDALLION". That seems to be the "Path of Six".

Again, this closes off Code 3, congrats!

Nidoking posted:

Also, the eight letters along the path on the map can be rearranged to spell "GOLD DUST", which seems to fit the pattern, but I can't tell which clue in the diagram that would fit. There's only one more that's a pair of two words, Knights and Pages, but I don't see how Knights and Pages relate to those letters - unless they happen to be on the tiles corresponding to those cards. EDIT: I guess I missed "Within the Kingdom of Wands" which also has that pattern of letters.

So, to clarify it, because I don't know if you tried to solve The Sun's map puzzle - those eight letters appear upon the map squares which are where the Pages and Knights appear in the story, so "Knights and Pages" is the correct location.

Nidoking posted:

One more before I just step back and let other people have a go - The letters of the four queens anagram to CRYSTAL NECKLACE for "The Queens are confused"

Great work!

-----

Ineffable posted:

Thanks! Based on the newly replaced cipher, I'm fairly sure that "Eight in the land are disguised" refers to the eight larger letters scattered around the map: VFBUYDRU. They become YHETSAMT when put through the cipher, which is an anagram of Amethyst.

For the record, the first time I had solved this, I had all of the answers input, I knew all of the answers were correct, and nothing was happening, and nothing was working, and I was frustrated as hell and thought the game was broken until a friend looked over my shoulder and told me that I had misspelled Amethyst.

Years later, I'm putting together this LP, I have all of the answers in, but it's not working, I check hint sites and I have all of the answers correct, I can't figure out why it's not working and whether the emulator or the software is busted... until I double-check and realize that I've once again mis-spelled Amethyst.

Anyways- great work!

---

Okay, that has us over the half-way mark. Of the clues originally given on the map, we've used a bunch; we're still left with Code 2, all of the Kingdoms, the Wheel of Fortune. Of the treasures left to find, there are all four Kingdom treasures, and the treasures of the Kings themselves. There's also the Maze, which again, I'll walk us through at the end.

Keep at it - you're doing great!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 24, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Holy poo poo you guys are fast! I intended to play along myself and chip in when I figured something out in my playthrough but there's no time!

Oh and for the record, The High Priestess's "click squares 99 to 1" bit is awful and I hate it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, so that's 1 + 1 + 1 + 4 + 4 for eleven clues, but I think either it's a mistake or what Johnson considers a "clue" is different from these, because there are still two other big things left on the map - the number code that Crazy Achmed captured, and the Maze that lights up.

The instructions said 11 ADDITIONAL clues to the Book of Thoth, so the Book isn't counted, and the number code isn't clickable so it doesn't count any more than all the other stuff visible on the map.

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, that has us over the half-way mark. Of the clues originally given on the map, we've used a bunch; we're still left with Code 2, all of the Kingdoms, the Wheel of Fortune. Of the treasures left to find, there are all four Kingdom treasures, and the treasures of the Kings themselves. There's also the Maze, which again, I'll walk us through at the end.

Keep at it - you're doing great!

You missed a post:

Ineffable posted:

If we take the four letters given to us by the kings (N Z T U), the four letters given to us by the aces, the symbols of the kings (S E B T) and combine them with the letters at the centre of the map (O R E A) - which is presumably where the kings are meeting (I admit this is a bit of an educated guess) - we can rearrange to get a Bronze Statue. This fits the first line in the Book of Thoth.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 24, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Within the Kingdom of Wands, we get four two-word answers:

RED URN (The Four of Wands, or The Canopy)
BAD YAM (The Five of Wands, or The Fighting Boys)
NEW GNU (The Nine of Wands, or The Stone Wall)
RAT IVY (The Two of Wands, or The Watchtower)

We take the first letters of each of the words:

R U B Y N G R I

Or...

RUBY RING

It should work for the fourth clue.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Part 47: Treasures 9 and 10

Ineffable posted:

Whoops! Sorry I missed this one. Thanks, whitehelm, for the nudge! You're correct, the O, R, E, and A are where the Kings are meeting, and BRONZE STATUE is the correct answer for The Kings, well done!

----

Bregor posted:

Within the Kingdom of Wands, we get four two-word answers:

RED URN (The Four of Wands, or The Canopy)
BAD YAM (The Five of Wands, or The Fighting Boys)
NEW GNU (The Nine of Wands, or The Stone Wall)
RAT IVY (The Two of Wands, or The Watchtower)

We take the first letters of each of the words:

R U B Y N G R I

Or...

RUBY RING

It should work for the fourth clue.

Yes, that's the solution to the Kingdom of Wands, congratulations!

_____

So now we're at 10 out of 14 treasures; just three more kingdoms to solve!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I want to solve the vertical answer!

It's THE GIFT OF WISDOM, pretty sure.

Of course, I doubt you can just fill that in and get any progress :v:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Gloomy Rube posted:

I want to solve the vertical answer!

It's THE GIFT OF WISDOM, pretty sure.

Of course, I doubt you can just fill that in and get any progress :v:

You are correct on both points! But knowing which letters are in our unsolved answers may help solve those answers...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

In the kingdom of the Pentacles, we get a run of three-letter clues, followed by the Merchant, who says that his puzzle is eight, and having the four who precede him would give him half of the puzzle:
code:
AIH
ROI
MYR
FIE
Then, starting with The World and ending with The Hanged Man, we get a run of four more, following the Page of Pentacles, who says that once he has consulted the four sages who await him, he will be halfway there:
code:
YES
ERA
SIP
The Hanged Man says that the TOP is the bottom of the upper half, so arranging the clues that way gives:
code:
YES
ERA
SIP
AIH
ROI
MYR
FIE
The middle four letters down the left column plus the whole of the right column spells out STAR SAPPHIRE.

And while I'm awake way too early and fiddling with my clue lists, let's look at the words listed by the people in the Kingdom of Cups:
The Children mentioned the word of the star (ERR) and the word of the pyramids (we're told that the letters on them are E, X, H, which form the word HEX).
The Couple gave us the word CARE and said that it had to be spoken with the word of the Devil (DEAD) and the word of Despair (GRIEF).
The Dancers gave us a LEAP of JOY.
The Family gave us a WISH for the food of fertile seeds, and the seeds that the Knight of Pentacles was delivering to the Farmer were WHEAT, RICE, and CORN.
The Not-A-Merchant said NINE were his and he was the last.

These words of different lengths clearly fit into the oddly-shaped boxes, and with some work, I arranged them like so:
code:
   JOY
GRIEF
   WHEAT
RICE
   LEAP
  HEX
DEAD
   CARE
  ERR
  CORN
   WISH
 NINE
The one unbroken column reads JEWELED CROWN, which fits the clue.

And I finally spotted the clue for one more, but I'll wait until later to post it if no one else has.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 24, 2020

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
In the Kingdom of Swords, we get several hints: "a giant wheel stood near the pyramids, and I saw three mystical words, one atop the other", "I saw a man carrying ten wooden staffs. He sang this haunting song again and again" and "Take the blood of a man killed by ten and smear it upon the weapon of an outnumbered warrior". These refer, respectively, to the Wheel of Fortune on the map, giving us ONO, ROR and DND; to the Ten of Wands, giving us EG, LI and OC; and to the Ten of Swords and Seven of Wands, giving us PUS and BOW. In addition, the High Priestess tells us to bring her the letters from the Tower and Death (in that order), which gives us QM and ZA. Putting this all together in a way that fits into our blank boxes, we get:

code:
QM PUS
ZA BOW
EG ONO
LI ROR    
OC DND
The second and fifth columns spell out a Magic Sword.

Ineffable fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 24, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guys make sure you don't forget to uh

click on stuff

and letters

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Congrats to Whybird and inflatablefish for putting together The Sun's map! Below is the final version from the game:

I helped! I officially helped! :eng99:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Part 48: Treasures 11 - 13

Nidoking posted:

In the kingdom of the Pentacles, we get a run of three-letter clues, followed by the Merchant, who says that his puzzle is eight, and having the four who precede him would give him half of the puzzle:
code:
AIH
ROI
MYR
FIE
Then, starting with The World and ending with The Hanged Man, we get a run of four more, following the Page of Pentacles, who says that once he has consulted the four sages who await him, he will be halfway there:
code:
YES
ERA
SIP
The Hanged Man says that the TOP is the bottom of the upper half, so arranging the clues that way gives:

Nidoking posted:

The middle four letters down the left column plus the whole of the right column spells out STAR SAPPHIRE.

That's exactly it, well done on solving the Kingdom of Pentacles!

----

Nidoking posted:

And while I'm awake way too early and fiddling with my clue lists, let's look at the words listed by the people in the Kingdom of Cups:
The Children mentioned the word of the star (ERR) and the word of the pyramids (we're told that the letters on them are E, X, H, which form the word HEX).
The Couple gave us the word CARE and said that it had to be spoken with the word of the Devil (DEAD) and the word of Despair (GRIEF).
The Dancers gave us a LEAP of JOY.
The Family gave us a WISH for the food of fertile seeds, and the seeds that the Knight of Pentacles was delivering to the Farmer were WHEAT, RICE, and CORN.
The Not-A-Merchant said NINE were his and he was the last.

These words of different lengths clearly fit into the oddly-shaped boxes, and with some work, I arranged them like so:

Nidoking posted:

The one unbroken column reads JEWELED CROWN, which fits the clue.

And thus was the lost treasure of the Kingdom of Cups found! Outstanding!

-----

Ineffable posted:

In the Kingdom of Swords, we get several hints: "a giant wheel stood near the pyramids, and I saw three mystical words, one atop the other", "I saw a man carrying ten wooden staffs. He sang this haunting song again and again" and "Take the blood of a man killed by ten and smear it upon the weapon of an outnumbered warrior". These refer, respectively, to the Wheel of Fortune on the map, giving us ONO, ROR and DND; to the Ten of Wands, giving us EG, LI and OC; and to the Ten of Swords and Seven of Wands, giving us PUS and BOW. In addition, the High Priestess tells us to bring her the letters from the Tower and Death (in that order), which gives us QM and ZA. Putting this all together in a way that fits into our blank boxes, we get:

Ineffable posted:

The second and fifth columns spell out a Magic Sword.

Finding the treasure of the Kingdom of Swords! Well done!

-----

And thus we have just one treasure to go, the one from The Maze of Thorns. I guess I'll go start uploading some video, then!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

click on stuff

and letters

If this is a reference to what I think it is, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. :unsmith:

inflatablefish posted:

I helped! I officially helped! :eng99:

Just showing up and talking is help enough for me, thank you for participating! :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

If this is a reference to what I think it is, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I enjoyed putting it together. :unsmith:

it is a reference to me watching agape at the goons going through this like maze rats who have invented bulldozers & dynamite

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hwurmp posted:

it is a reference to me watching agape at the goons going through this like maze rats who have invented bulldozers & dynamite

Yeahhhhh. I kind of expected to have the long weekend off? hahahahaha not with these guys on the job :zerg:

Edit:

Black Robe posted:

Okay, I can take a hint. I went back and clicked on stuff. And now I'm laughing, bravo. I don't know if I found everything but I'm glad you did it.

Outstanding. That makes my entire day. :)

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 24, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hwurmp posted:

click on stuff

and letters

skeleton warrior posted:

Just showing up and talking is help enough for me, thank you for participating! :)

Okay, I can take a hint. I went back and clicked on stuff. And now I'm laughing, bravo. I don't know if I found everything but I'm glad you did it.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Hwurmp posted:

:killdozer:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I would say that you have no idea how appropriate that response is, given the last treasure I'm going after, but I'm reasonably sure you do. :D

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Robe posted:

:perfect:

Seriously this time: everyone go back & look for stuff you can click on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Part 49: The Last Treasure

Ah, here we are again, for the last time. Just a simple maze, right? Of course it isn't, none of them were, but we're still set up like one. I know your game, Johnson, but all right, we'll play by your rules. Let's head towards the exit.

OF COURSE

Okay, so the exit is blocked by that awful Ogre. Not much we can do with him - obviously we need to explore around a bit and see if we can get around him.

Oh. Well. The Troll blocks us from moving forward, so I guess we try a different way.

I... what? Apparently we came very unprepared for this maze. The elf blocks us again, so we'll have to try something else.

Okay, so it's going to be like this. Skip ahead a bit, brother.

And here's the key for the new symbols:

And a few things without symbols so that you might forget them, 'cause Johnson's a bit of a dick:

SIGH. Okay, a lot of running around to do here.

Okay, well, the first step is pretty straightforward since we've taken notes. The wind said we couldn't come back until "eleven were seen", but we ran into her while still mapping the place out. Now we have eleven symbols on the map, so can we get past her?

We can! And what do we find in the dead-ends beyond that space?

Okay! Huh, we're apparently far less excited about that pine cone. In fact, I'm not quite sure what puzzle it solves. Is it an ingredient for the witch? But no worries! The clover is obviously the luck we need for the leprechaun.

Great! And beyond him we find:

Hooray! We just have to do this nine more times and we'll get past the Ogre! Maybe!

Wait, I forgot about the three locked doors. Twelve more times.

Okay, ginger root is likely for the witch (so, wait, what's the pine cone?) and pink handkerchief... the pixie?

Nope. Guess we try the Witch.

I guess it was the "last ingredient" in... her lunch, maybe? Okay, let's not think too hard on that. Moving on, what do we find?

Okay. Um. Oh - wait - is that the banshee's knife?

And the banshee ghosts us, which I guess is appropriate. What do we find behind the banshee?

OH COME ON what the hell. Why would you even put that there?

Argh. Okay, off to the genie with this lamp.

Another pine cone? Whatever, the bronze key opens the bronze door.

The... what? Huh? I wasn't... what do we... Prowess?

Huh? Huh. OH. OH!

HAHAHAHAHAHA Johnson, you magnificent bastard! You had me convinced we were going to have to do a poo poo-ton of fetch quests and waste so much time running around and half of the maze was just fluff! Aw, that's great. That's loving marvelous. We can just walk to the exit now.

:kingsley:

Part 2 coming up later today.