Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Tokyo Godfathers is good as hell. Watched Perfect Blue before (loved it), now I gotta watch the rest of Kon’s stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think you've recommending this before and it looks cool so I added the first book to my wish list

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Famous TV Dad posted:

i watched the green knight and it reminded me of this synthy post

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I read a bunch of the stories in Stories of Your Life and Others including the titular one. Ted Chiang ftw

I still need to watch Arrival.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Tokyo Godfathers is good as hell. Watched Perfect Blue before (loved it), now I gotta watch the rest of Kon’s stuff.

I watch Tokyo godfathers every Christmas with a friend.

Paprika ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I read a bunch of the stories in Stories of Your Life and Others including the titular one. Ted Chiang ftw

check out exhalation too, its really fuckin good

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think you've recommending this before and it looks cool so I added the first book to my wish list

same

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

arrival rules, its on Netflix here not sure about us

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anime: My Hero Academia has been really boring this season, but it finally got good again now that it has 4 episodes left lol

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

EmmyOk posted:

gonna read the sailor who fell from grace with the sea next

I read this for the first time this year and it was really incredible.

Right now I'm reading ghosts of the tsunami. I watched the unsolved mysteries episode based off it and got fascinated with the subject

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Fungah! posted:

check out exhalation too, its really fuckin good

Dang. Gonna use September's Audible credit to get this.

Arrival is super swaggy + epic but ym favorite story from that book is the one about how god is literally real and how when angels visit earth its basically like a small nuke detonating

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I really like the Tower of Babel story

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't like the Arrival film honestly, it starts alright but it ends in weird Hollywood sentimentality about dead kids or whatever

I've just been rewatching Always Sunny but nearly caught up, just watched the episode with Mac's dance routine that the actor rehearsed for 7 months because he's insane

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mkvltra posted:

Dang. Gonna use September's Audible credit to get this.

Arrival is super swaggy + epic but ym favorite story from that book is the one about how god is literally real and how when angels visit earth its basically like a small nuke detonating

the five minute preview of Exhalation on audible will get you fuckin hooked. i love the opening story so much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mac's dance owns and as the only time they did something serious it rules. rob mcelhenney ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

mac's dance owns and as the only time they did something serious it rules. rob mcelhenney ftw

This

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

agreed

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://youtu.be/hTwG6xdLGBY

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

EmmyOk posted:

yeah that poo poo was loving beautiful

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sort of missed dark tower chat but Wizard and Glass was my favorite when i read it at the age of 14, which is i think how old roland is in most of the book.

i read the rest of them as they released and didn't like any of them as much as the first four. i actually think six is the weakest.

EmmyOk posted:

yeah.

my problem with the sporanos is that i have trouble binge watching it. i've never made it to the end. i will, though, one of these days.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The Sopranos loses a lot of steam and charm around season 4 imo. Timeless series but tehre are some serious cringe moments. The Wire, however,

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

probably the coolest scene in DT is in book one when he recounts the story of killing the entire town while sprinting backwards headshotting every single person while reloading

that and the bit at the start of book three when he's teaching eddit and susannah to shoot and Eddie panics at one point when the little monster he shoots nearly gets him and Roland ices it with ease and he realised the whole time as chill as Roland looked, they were in absolutely 0 danger with him there

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

my problem with the sporanos is that i have trouble binge watching it. i've never made it to the end. i will, though, one of these days.

yeah i've had the same problem, i love the show but i can usually only watch a few eps at a time before i feel like i ought to take a breather

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mkvltra posted:

The Wire, however,

i've watched that all the way through three times, lol. i think it might still be the best television show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

lol I loved that game as a kid but I was like 8 and obsessed with ninjas so I swore to myself I’d never play it again to avoid the probably inevitable realization that it actually sucked

this post in the dream thread made me think that, the more i get older, the more i can sort of realize that something might have sucked in the back of my brain, but still sort of enjoy it the way that i used to. i re-watched donnie darko for the first time in a long time recently and like, i get why roger ebert didn't like it, but i'm always going to love that movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

sort of missed dark tower chat but Wizard and Glass was my favorite when i read it at the age of 14, which is i think how old roland is in most of the book.

i read the rest of them as they released and didn't like any of them as much as the first four. i actually think six is the weakest.

yeah.

book six is unbearable

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
book six: Susannah hypnotizes a dude into having regular bowel movements for the rest of his life

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

book 5.was cool though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the books got worse the more he wrote himself into them but the ending I thought he landed tbh and liked it a bunch

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like all the books except 6……i even like the dumb stephen king writing himself in thing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

i like all the books except 6……i even like the dumb stephen king writing himself in thing

i didnt but id id appreciate that he weote himself as a fat loser who keeps fuckin up

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Back to work Monday so enjoying the end of my holiday with a few drinks Chinese takeaway and house of flying daggers ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

been slowly going through it for the first time myself with a friend, hopefully going to finish season 2 tonight. absolutely excellent

"Knight in White Satin Armor" and "Funhouse" back to back :kstare:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I figure a few imps got prime at least for the Rebuilds. Has anyone watched the show Patriot on there? recently finished a rewatch, easily my all time no. 1

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
finally got dai dark volume 1 but I saw the flcl manga there too so I'm going to give that a re read tonight as well lol

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

tried to start up my old rdr2 save i abandoned 5 hours into the game, immediately remembered why i quit in the span of minutes and just started rereading blood meridian instead

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Uncle Frank posted:

finally got dai dark volume 1 but I saw the flcl manga there too so I'm going to give that a re read tonight as well lol

lmk how day dark is, assume it's banging considering doro. but I can read it if I'm gonna have to go without noi

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Uncle Frank posted:

i've watched the FLCL anime but not read the manga, how does it compare?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok but can we talk about how lowkey problematic this is smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

symbolic posted:

"Knight in White Satin Armor" and "Funhouse" back to back :kstare:

Dummy lit.

Bicyclops posted:

i've watched that all the way through three times, lol. i think it might still be the best television show.

Same. Legiterally. I'm comfortably jaded towards all dramatic TV media produced since The Wire stopped airing. The most recent TV show thing I've watched + kinda enjoyed is Good Omens lmfao don't make fun of me plz. Treme was kool but I get why that poo poo did not have a long lifespan .