Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
200 grand isn't too bad I suppose, but don't think many people would want to play that mission again just for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Tombot posted:

200 grand isn't too bad I suppose, but don't think many people would want to play that mission again just for the money.

I, uh, grinded it several times until I could unlock almost everything. When it first unlocked, I saw the 200k and got blinded by greed. I had only done a few of the other random missions before trucking along with the main story, saw that, skipped all the earlier levels, and jumped straight to max difficulty.

The worms took me by surprise. I also didn't figure out the stasis trick (or maybe hadn't unlocked it yet?) so I had to be careful about my positioning and make sure that I could nuke the worms with all rockets and flamers immediately. I had plenty of failures in containment, and I know I had one extra hive for a while since I didn't catch the first hive spawn and let the first two hives I attacked escape.

That said, I still beat it on my first try! I wouldn't be surprised if that run took longer than the next two runs combined. :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Taking just one control point to get enough BP for life support or even one of those medical pods from oh so long ago to keep poison from killing a marine or two might have been worth the additional mutation but for such a supposed end game mission quite the back to basics approach.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
:siren:
Terminus (31:28)

The Terminus difficulty was finally enough to get me to say 'ok, cashing in on one-use upgrades now'. It helped, but it was also interesting to see the game react with early Clone Strike mutation pretty much always and a 'I see your advanced squad, have a mirror image of it to the face and see how you like it' attitude. One more Raid map and the Story will be over.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
About what I was expecting, a brute-force meatgrinder. At least you got through it nice and quickly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the aliens had just slightly better guns this would be quite a different game.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Hmm yes ... I think I'll pass on that, thanks.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Terminus Raid (27:29)

Surprisingly the Raid version went more smoothly, although it wasn't without casualties. In any case, the Story is complete! Taking a break from Infested Planet, the question now is whether I do a Planetary Campaign - likely, but depends on interest.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I would like to officially register my interest in planetary campaign, this game seems cool as gently caress and I want to see more.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't mind a description of the planetary campaign at the very least, since it seems so different to the regular campaign.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

That's actually a good idea. I would recommend Sally's LP (unfortunately it seems stalled). But the first couple of posts are some pretty darned good exposition of what it's all about. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002727

Short version: A board game layered on top of the tactical map, with pretty simple rules (maybe RISK is a decent comparison?). Some technologies are not available, some are randomly available, others you can acquire as you expand on the map. There's also a few mutations and player unlocks that don't exist outside of the planetary campaign.

Otherwhise I'll try to do a proper intro/tutorial at the start of the campaign assuming that I do one.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

My favorite trick in the entire LP was just not taking any hives and denying mutations that way. Considering the end of the video: May I suggest Nexus: The Jupiter Incident? (Or Starship Troopers: Terran Command, which gets the joke in the Verhoven film and is also a pretty fun game, but you might be burned out on bug wars in general.)

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I can add those as possibilities for the future; I would say definitely not anytime soon though. I have a full roster of projects for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Thanks for the LP!