Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

who among us etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ThinkTank posted:

The NHLPA isn't keen on its players not getting paid. A whole section of the CBA is devoted to what the league can and cannot do with regards to suspensions and the players get a bunch of rights to appeal to a suspension of any length. It's easier for the league to not suspend guys which is why we typically see only fines or very short suspensions outside of egregious cases.

I also think the NHL kinda tossed the NHLPA those bones when negotiating the CBA...like, "sure you can only fine players $5k and suspensions will be lenient but in exchange expansion team dues don't count as revenue for the purposes of the salary cap, ok?"

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Jhet posted:

Dude is getting underpayed. I guess he really likes Denver. Way too good a contract for a Central Division team, should be illegal.

At the start of preseason he said he wanted to get a contract extension done before the all star break that would keep him in Colorado for the rest of his career. I had thought they'd give him a contract and do a trade over the summer to make him fit next year but lmao, that raise will be covered by the salary cap increase next season. I'm shocked he didn't get a NMC out of such a team-friendly deal though if he wanted to stay in Colorado the rest of his career.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I remember the first part. Not so much the 2nd one though.
:lol:
Let's say "hoped it might" instead of "thought it would."

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Shouldn't the NHLPA not want its players to injure each other?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

King poo poo (literally)

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

They should make every suspension greater than the last, no matter how severe. I want to see Tony D get suspended in game 79 for 12 years and forfeit $12,450,600 in fines

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

morningdrew posted:

They should make every suspension greater than the last, no matter how severe. I want to see Tony D get suspended in game 79 for 12 years and forfeit $12,450,600 in fines

I'm ok with this

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Only two games on tonight, what the poo poo NHL
it's the first week give us some games to watch

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Most of the teams didn’t get to play until last night unless you have a Connor or recent Cup. Classic scheduling.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

NHL scheduling is based on load up Saturday and work backwards from that so Fridays are always quiet, especially week 1 where all 7 Canadian teams require games preferably not with each other.

So Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday are the consistently busier days.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
https://twitter.com/Chris_Krenn/status/1712948025541161251?s=20

Hell yeah coop

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 14, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr. Kite posted:

Shouldn't the NHLPA not want its players to injure each other?

Injured players still get paid so that part is fine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

one is on espn+ so gently caress me

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

If there's a better metaphor for the Rangers, I've yet to see hear it.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://x.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1712914417736622105?s=20
this is the most exciting thing to happen to the Red Wings since getting rid of mike babcock

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie first line tonight.

Will they even be able to make it up and/or down the ice?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

:chloe:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

that line is gonna have 100 man games total and 82 of those will be Ovi's

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Obviously the only reason he's in Bowman's neighborhood is half his ties became wins, a luxury Bowman did not enjoy.

OTOH Cooper did it entirely in the cap era

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

clean ayers act posted:

https://x.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1712914417736622105?s=20
this is the most exciting thing to happen to the Red Wings since getting rid of mike babcock

Elated about the horn, amused that the organization is still doubling down on why they didn't have a horn. Take the W, boys!

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Obviously the only reason he's in Bowman's neighborhood is half his ties became wins, a luxury Bowman did not enjoy.

OTOH Cooper did it entirely in the cap era

It’s just an arbitrary cherry picked stat; but that’s sports talk, baby

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Elon turning Twitter into x.com was stupid enough but none of the loving tweets embed properly in the Awful android app when people link tweets using x.com instead of Twitter.com. So if you are linking a tweet and can remember to change the URL to Twitter instead of x that would be swell.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Dr Zaius posted:

Elon turning Twitter into x.com was stupid enough but none of the loving tweets embed properly in the Awful android app when people link tweets using x.com instead of Twitter.com. So if you are linking a tweet and can remember to change the URL to Twitter instead of x that would be swell.

They just fixed that on awful app iOS. Hopefully they’ll do android next.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this ahl fight slapped

https://twitter.com/ahlwranglers/status/1712989630973567092?s=46

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

God drat, you don't see Rock'em sock'em robots much anymore. Scrap and a half.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's apparently the first time the caps have ever been shut out in their home opener

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens pretty good. Caps were not very good. Nice game from Jarry and the D.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens pretty good. Caps were not very good. Nice game from Jarry and the D.

Karlsson especially was on fire
he didn't get points on them but those two PPGs don't happen without him keeping the puck in

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Karlsson fuckin rocks and I'm glad he's on a not dogshit team (for the next 18 months)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
For sure. EK seems awesome at making that read. It'll probably lead to a few goals against, but gotta take that bad with the good. Not a whole lot of depth threat/scoring but still too early to super worry about that. PoJ/Rud haven't been super noticeable though I guess that's more a positive than a negative. 12 minutes a night seems to really be leaning on the top 4 a ton this early in the year. Would really prefer to see a bit better balance there. I think Harkins got the bench after being the worst forward on the night (again) so I would not be shocked to see someone swap in for him tomorrow or next week.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Letang and Karlsson both seem like guys who are going to demand 24 minutes a night until their bodies explode anyhow so you may as well let them
when the day comes that they can't keep up with that pace they will implode into a white dwarf star anyhow

but yeah the bottom 6 has been largely invisible on the ice which, while not great, is a small step up from being actively terrible compared to last season

The third line at least seems to be able to skate so the goals will probably come for them

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Just a reminder to everyone that the Caps just recently signed Tom Wilson to a to 7x6.5 contract extension that kicks in next season

shyduck fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 14, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

Just a reminder that the Caps just signed Tom Wilson a to 7x6.5 context extension that kicks in next season

I actually did not recall that or notice it when I checked his capfriendly page and all I can say is :lol: he is a worse skater now than later career Brooks Orpik

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

That’s Chris Kreider money

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Logan Cooley had 2 assists in his NHL debut, a secondary on a power play and a beautiful primary on the game-tying goal. But he could've easily had 3 more assists if his teammates finished off some of his other incredible setups. He looks legit.

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1713010732793766224

The Coyotes coming back and beating the Devils in New Jersey is a very positive sign but I'll wait until January and after they play a good team not on a back to back before considering them legit. But ooh man I'm excited for the Coyotes again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Karlsson fuckin rocks and I'm glad he's on a not dogshit team (for the next 18 months)

Well not as dog poo poo as San Jose anyways.

But we'll see if they can actually make it to the playoffs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Coyotes are cool

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I actually did not recall that or notice it when I checked his capfriendly page and all I can say is :lol: he is a worse skater now than later career Brooks Orpik

There were a lot of shitshow skaters last night getting paid a lot of money. I’ll keep my fan optimism for now and write it off as rust. Lots of rust…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Coyotes are cooley

Ftfy