Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
It's Resident Evil. 7 mainline hits, 3 was supposed to be Code Veronica, and 4 remakes that are also hits. Also I think Zero did pretty well as a gamecube exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Keeping on messeage playing pokemon violet over here.

What pokemon do you have on your team

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

bossy lady posted:

What pokemon do you have on your team

My cousin tried to get me into Pokemon. "Its animals beating the hell out of each other. It's pretty cool." Then we watched an episode on Saturday morning, and nothing happened, no animals fought each other, nor did anything else worthwhile happen? Any of you guys know what episode he was talking about?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i tried back in 98 or whatever and as a videogame pokemon loving sucks. it just sucks. no animation. bland rear end everything. the cartoon was the only thing about pokemon

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Why do you think that is? Serious question because I also played the f out of ut99 and 2k4 but I swear everyone I meet irl just talks about quake and literally look at me funny when I bring up unreal.

Super weird

quake weapons, maps, etc. lent themselves better to more serious competitive multiplayer, which lead to a larger online community, and so a bigger fanbase

there was also more serious modding going on for quake then, spawning even more groups

primarily though, going back further than that, a big reason is that there was sort of a "wolfenstien, doom, quake" progression all being by id software as the "original" FPS games (all of which came out before the first unreal) so there was already a big following by the time unreal tournament finally came out and it was stuck being kind of like quake's weird cousin fighting an uphill battle

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 17, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Twenty Four posted:

quake weapons, maps, etc. lent themselves better to more serious competitive multiplayer, which lead to a larger online community, and so a bigger fanbase

there was also more serious modding going on for quake then, spawning even more groups

primarily though, going back further than that, a big reason is that there was sort of a "wolfenstien, doom, quake" progression all being by id software as the "original" FPS games (all of which came out before the first unreal) so there was already a big following by the time unreal tournament finally came out and it was stuck being kind of like quake's weird cousin fighting an uphill battle

yeah fighting a quake cousin is a weird uphill battle

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
The answer is Zelda.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Starfield

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Seems like Skyrim

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anachronox
I expect Anachronox 2 to come out any day now

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've said it elsewhere, but it's a goddamn crime that Alien vs. Predator 2 will never get rereleased or rebooted because it is stuck in licensing hell.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Willow. drat that game owned.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Why do you think that is? Serious question because I also played the f out of ut99 and 2k4 but I swear everyone I meet irl just talks about quake and literally look at me funny when I bring up unreal.

Super weird

Unreal tournament is the most fun I've ever had in a multi-player fps.

Previously tried quake 2, uninstalled in 10 mins.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Unreal tournament is the most fun I've ever had in a multi-player fps.

Tell me you didn't play Tribes without telling me you didn't play Tribes.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Tribes ruled but I always went back to UT myself. Also played Quake 3 a bunch. Idunno, I didn't know they were mutual franchises and knew plenty of people who played both. I wasn't into any actual scene tho, we were just school kids who played the bideo james.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My favorite multiplayer games were Tribes, Tribes 2, AVP2, and America's Army. But I guess I was older when I really got into it - late 20s to early 30s. The amount of multiplayer I play has generally decreased over time - I've played other stuff over the years, but those 4 were top of my list.

I used to get accused of cheating a fair amount in America's Army because I was just that drat good. :smug:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Starfield

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Ugh it's Pokémon. My co-worker was absolutely shocked I don't play much else.

Man I told you I maxed out my X file. 999:59, it doesn't go higher than that. When I get the chance to play, I go HARD.

Here, have these shinies, I don't use them. Better they go to someone who appreciates them than rot in a box or Home.

2nd runner up is Resident Evil because it's so dumb it's hilarious and I can get lost in the weird, noncohereant character arcs.

Also Rune Factory games because I like farming and big weird animal pals.

I'll get married one of these days, I still have to grind these veggies to lv10

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Tell me you didn't play Tribes without telling me you didn't play Tribes.

syntaxfunction posted:

Tribes ruled but I always went back to UT myself. Also played Quake 3 a bunch. Idunno, I didn't know they were mutual franchises and knew plenty of people who played both. I wasn't into any actual scene tho, we were just school kids who played the bideo james.

Tribes 1 holds a special place in my heart, my computer couldn't run 2 very well, never played Vengeance, and I actually really liked Ascend despite its shortcomings especially once some things got ironed out.

I just played the alpha for Tribes 3: Rivals the other day with a friend. The skiing feels... bad so far (I was able to speed up on flat ground by just walking forward and holding ski somehow, and the physics just feel off), but I think it's still really early alpha. Most of the weapons didn't feel great either. To be fair I was drinking heavily at the time, but I think I've got enough Tribes hours under my belt to have a pretty good feel for how it should be.

I don't have any other real news, not sure if anyone else does. Hopefully it goes somewhere, fingers crossed I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Twenty Four posted:

Tribes 1 holds a special place in my heart, my computer couldn't run 2 very well, never played Vengeance, and I actually really liked Ascend despite its shortcomings especially once some things got ironed out.

I just played the alpha for Tribes 3: Rivals the other day with a friend. The skiing feels... bad so far (I was able to speed up on flat ground by just walking forward and holding ski somehow, and the physics just feel off), but I think it's still really early alpha. Most of the weapons didn't feel great either. To be fair I was drinking heavily at the time, but I think I've got enough Tribes hours under my belt to have a pretty good feel for how it should be.

I don't have any other real news, not sure if anyone else does. Hopefully it goes somewhere, fingers crossed I guess.

HiRez killed Ascend by trying to go for e-sports, and pushing a single playstyle that was only one way the old games could be played. poo poo got unbalanced, then cheaters swarmed in, HiRez did nothing, and the game died. It was promising at first and I put in a fair number of hours, but it turned into a textbook example of a company ruining a game.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

end of thread go home

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Strange love was a lan party favorite mutator but I played the poo poo out of the assault rifle aka rapid fire sniper rifle mod. Like I was way better than I'd like to admit

Riding the redeemer with the yeeehaw sound clip was hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

those x rated games on Atari. they're due for a reboot.

You couldn’t make Custer’s Revenge today because woke