Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So, Texas vs Houston, in Austin. Houston didn't even bother to bid against UT.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PWI
Jun 1, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
What in the goddamn gently caress I'm just going to get drunk now

(re: iu)

Also working in the service industry this just means we lost a poo poo ton of business next weekend

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Really owns a lot that the SEC did so poorly in the regionals. Makes me feel better, anyway.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
No more than half of the 1 seeds made it out. 4 (maybe 5) of the national seeds made it out of their regionals.

Big XII gets 4 of 5 teams into the supers. 3 of those 4 will likely be hosting. UC Irvine and Oregon State are currently in the championship game, but if Irvine wins, all 4 will likely be hosts.

Only Ole Miss and Vandy make it out of regionals for the SEC, dropping 8 of their other 10.

ACC gets 2 in, though depending on the terms of their joining, Maryland may technically be a Big Ten team now. In a similar way, Louisville might be an ACC team now.

AAC has Louisville (see above) and Houston in.

The rest come from proper mid-major or sub-major conferences, depending on how UCI vs OSU comes out.

So, in short, go Big XII.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Double post, but I don't care. UC Irvine just turned a double play to knock out the #1 national seed Oregon State.

Looking at the replay, I think the 2nd base ump blew a call: the 2nd baseman looked like he was off the bag when he caught the ball.

Still, excellent finish. Good times.

ps: still hate baseball, but I can handle college ball.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oregon State gone, apparently the first #1 national seed not to make it out of regionals since Vandy in 2007.

That's 5 national seeds gone in all. It was a year without a dominant team but this is still pretty surprising. Obviously would like to see Virginia win one finally but other than that might be really good if someone like Lafayette took it.

edit: also the 1/4/5/8 side of the bracket is totally blown open, though Louisville/Vandy/Oklahoma State plus the Texas-Houston winner would be a vicious group if they all make it through.

elentar fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 3, 2014

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
CORVALLIS DELENDA EST. PRAISE THE ANTEATER.

I was at trivia most of the night and could hardly focus on the questions. Oh my god. Oh my GOD. UCI backed into this tournament and now they took out the #1 national seed. We beat them by a combined score of 18-8 in 3 games. I can't believe it.

kayakyakr posted:

Looking at the replay, I think the 2nd base ump blew a call: the 2nd baseman looked like he was off the bag when he caught the ball.

I listened to the last inning on the radio (because I couldn't stand to see it), and our play-by-play guy never mentioned this. I'll go back to the ESPN3 archived video and look.

e: Nope, Bronsoma was on the bag with the ball. A hair of a fraction, but he got it.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 3, 2014

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Korranus posted:

So, Texas vs Houston, in Austin. Houston didn't even bother to bid against UT.

Nah, we made a bid, but there's no way in hell we'll get it. I can't wait to play a lower-ranked team on the road because of LHN megabux

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

surrender posted:

Nah, we made a bid, but there's no way in hell we'll get it. I can't wait to play a lower-ranked team on the road because of LHN megabux

Once again, Texas ruins everything.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Dango Bango posted:

Actually, rumor is that Texas bid to host the super regional at Rice's Reckling Park, since Disch-Falk is hosting HS baseball playoff games this weekend. So there's a chance that the super regional will be held at a college stadium in Houston, but not at the University of Houston's stadium. That makes perfect sense.

Edit: Never mind, we're going to Austin. Death to college athletics, etc etc

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2014-06-03/super-regional-hosts-announced

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2014

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

surrender posted:

Actually, rumor is that Texas bid to host the super regional at Rice's Reckling Park, since Disch-Falk is hosting HS baseball playoff games this weekend. So there's a chance that the super regional will be held at a college stadium in Houston, but not at the University of Houston's stadium. That makes perfect sense.

Edit: Never mind, we're going to Austin. Death to college athletics, etc etc

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2014-06-03/super-regional-hosts-announced

HS championship games are held in Round Rock, not UT's stadium.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
ALL I DO IS

NO MATTER WHAT

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Texas bid $253k guaranteed receipts with $135k directly to the NCAA, and Houston bid 161/77. Golden Rule, yall.

UH is now talking about an expansion of Cougar Field (currently seats 3500). If I were them I'd talk to the Sugar Land Skeeters about borrowing their 7,500 seat stadium for regional bids as well. UH and Rice already had a game there this year.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Korranus posted:

Texas bid $253k guaranteed receipts with $135k directly to the NCAA, and Houston bid 161/77. Golden Rule, yall.

UH is now talking about an expansion of Cougar Field (currently seats 3500). If I were them I'd talk to the Sugar Land Skeeters about borrowing their 7,500 seat stadium for regional bids as well. UH and Rice already had a game there this year.

How was attendance this season? I couldn't make it to any games because of the whole "living in the Congo" thing

Also, since it can't be said enough, gently caress Texas (Thermos is cool though)

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

surrender posted:

How was attendance this season? I couldn't make it to any games because of the whole "living in the Congo" thing

Also, since it can't be said enough, gently caress Texas (Thermos is cool though)

I only went to a Rice game, looked packed as usual. I bet it was about the same as any other year with maybe a little bump at the end.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

surrender posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm actually not a cool or good poster but thanks.

Anyway one factor in putting it at Texas might have been capacity - Cougar Field officially holds 5k and The Disch officially holds like 6800. Paid attendance at those games against A&M was right around there, although there was the obvious draw of Texas vs A&M there so who knows if that predicts the crowd that will come out for UH.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just remembered we have college baseball threads in SAS.

Just wanna say - Tyler Beede sure does fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

I sure liked this game better when it was 10-0. :smith:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

I just remembered we have college baseball threads in SAS.

Just wanna say - Tyler Beede sure does fall apart at the first sign of trouble.

I sure liked this game better when it was 10-0. :smith:

Vandy wins.

Getting rdy to get my Omaha tickets.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
UCI and OSU are in the first, and an atrocious umpiring decision at first gifted the Cowboys a run. Just because the first baseman has to jump for the ball doesn't mean the runner will be safe, dude. :argh:

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
Hate to double post, but UCI is now up 7-1 in the top of the 8th. Oklahoma State has used 5 pitchers. UCI's just stuck with one.

e: Me posting this has clearly jinxed the Anteaters, because the Cowboys just hit a 3-run dinger to make it 8-4.

e2: UCI held the line and is a game away from the College World Series. My god.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 7, 2014

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I cannot deal with another home loss in a Super Regional

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
TTU is 1 win away from their first ever CWS appearance. Woo!

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston totally embarrassed themselves

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
UCI'S GOING TO OMAHA, Y'ALL.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Virginia finally get a big inning with RISP. Should be able to hold on and force a rubber game tomorrow

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech going to Omaha for the first time in history. Very exciting!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Feel pretty bad for Charleston -- they got two stellar outings from their pitchers and ended up losing two 1-0 games. That's gotta hurt.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Vandy gets to play arch-playoff rival Louisville for the first round of CWS. :shepface:

kayakyakr posted:

Texas Tech going to Omaha for the first time in history. Very exciting!

Wreck 'em.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

3 Big XII and 3 Texas teams in the CWS now with TCU's victory just now.

#ToadToOmaha

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Virginia's through, Maryland tried starting their closer today and it didn't work out, not much of a game by inning 3.

Still waiting to see if it'll be Ole Miss or Lafayette in game 1.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Beating Maryland is just the icing on the cake #goACC

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Chieves posted:

3 Big XII and 3 Texas teams in the CWS now with TCU's victory just now.

#ToadToOmaha

Yeah kind of sucks that Tech and TCU are matched up right away cause it guarantees a B12 team from Texas will go out in the first series but I guess it also guarantees that at least one will get through

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah kind of sucks that Tech and TCU are matched up right away cause it guarantees a B12 team from Texas will go out in the first series but I guess it also guarantees that at least one will get through

It's a double elimination tournament like the Big XII tourney. The loser will face the loser of Ole Miss/Virginia. So yeah, it guarantees one team will be in the losers bracket in game one, but it also guarantees that one team will make it to a 3rd game regardless.

That said, TTU's side of the bracket looks tougher on paper than UT with both remaining nationally ranked schools. Still, I want a rematch of TTU vs UT series earlier. TTU should have had those games and we need redemption.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

kayakyakr posted:

It's a double elimination tournament like the Big XII tourney. The loser will face the loser of Ole Miss/Virginia. So yeah, it guarantees one team will be in the losers bracket in game one, but it also guarantees that one team will make it to a 3rd game regardless.

That said, TTU's side of the bracket looks tougher on paper than UT with both remaining nationally ranked schools. Still, I want a rematch of TTU vs UT series earlier. TTU should have had those games and we need redemption.

National seeds mean nothing at this point.

Win yo' games.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
Two bad fielding plays by Morales gift Texas a run early, and one blind-as-gently caress umpire at 1B costs UCI a run. To hell with Texas, to hell with that ump.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.
Double posting: UCI won 3-1. I should complain more about getting robbed in this thread because it clearly leads to wins.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Morrison is an absolute beast, wow.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Vandy beat Louisville in an entirely too stressful game.

Carson Fulmer owns.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Ole Miss with a walk off single after Tech tied it up in the top of the 9th.

Ole Miss' first CWS win since 1969.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

he was like damn.

JetsGuy posted:

Vandy beat Louisville in an entirely too stressful game.

Carson Fulmer owns.

Due to last night, I am obliged to dislike you and all Commodores. Vanderbilt Delenda Est.

• Locked thread